look at point c. if u meant that t-pack in any way possible, no matter the tweaks and revisions and possibility to balance it, will always 'kill halo' then ur simply narrow-minded. I knew that at least one person would complain. Im not fucking asking t-pack to be added as-is-in-h4.

Thruster pack is a broken mechanic. There are no possibilities with broken mechanics, because you can't balance a broken mechanic. One of two things will happen if you try, a) it will remain broken, or B) it will become irrelevant. Either way, that's plenty of reason not to include it.

And no, kid, not jumping on board with your bullshit does not make me 'narrow-minded' or a 'complainer.' You're wrong and your idea is trash. Just accept it, and in the future try to remember that less is more as far as Halo is concerned.

So only the most balanced AAs on the map, not for free in loadouts? I think I can agree with that.

Most definitely, but then why even have AA's? Certainly equipment and power-ups would fulfill that map pick-up role better.

Halo does not need more mechanics, it needs better mechanics then it currently has(movement,aiming, maps, pace, all should be restored to pre-HR state) and a quality game like H1 or H2.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Thruster pack is a broken mechanic. There are no possibilities with broken mechanics, because you can't balance a broken mechanic. One of two things will happen if you try, a) it will remain broken, or B) it will become irrelevant. Either way, that's plenty of reason not to include it.

And no, kid, not jumping on board with your bullshit does not make me 'narrow-minded' or a 'complainer.' You're wrong and your idea is trash. Just accept it, and in the future try to remember that less is more as far as Halo is concerned.

i legit cbf arguing with u, so take it as a victory in this debate and keep believing in ur narrow-minded view on what constitutes a competitive halo game. i cbf halo anymore.

It's the same thing as thruster pack. It adds complexity that's not needed and makes maps more difficult to make unbreakable. No harm in testing it though.

Your blue text is an eye sore with the background color of the site.

Id love to read what you are typing, but I find myself just scrolling down past it.

Your blue text is an eye sore with the background color of the site.

Id love to read what you are typing, but I find myself just scrolling down past it.

Just went back and changed all the posts. I'm not sure why it was all blue. Thanks for pointing that out.

The simple fact is these things are proven to fail, the added things for immersion are unneccessary.

Consoles are so cluttered with shit that is so disposable, why not make a game that will last by investing in it.
Counter strike for example, the settings are base competitive, take that formula and add in social and ranked and the game will sell and have longevity, add DLC skins which add money for dev support. (League of legends and counter strike)

Casual players want to have fun, they want new maps, and new weapons.
Competitive players want that too, so make it base competive and the players will decide how to play.

Compromising on abilities isnt the route, making it a fair game anyone can pick up, practice if they want to be good, and including a solid social/ranked system for both.

Dont compromise the integrity of the game for gimmicks that can be hit and miss.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The simple fact is these things are proven to fail, the added things for immersion are unneccessary.

Consoles are so cluttered with shit that is so disposable, why not make a game that will last by investing in it.

Counter strike for example, the settings are base competitive, take that formula and add in social and ranked and the game will sell and have longevity, add DLC skins which add money for dev support. (League of legends and counter strike)

Competitive players want that too, so make it base competive and the players will decide how to play.

Compromising on abilities isnt the route, making it a fair game anyone can pick up, practice if they want to be good, and including a solid social/ranked system for both.

Dont compromise the integrity of the game for gimmicks that can be hit and miss.

Nobody see's sprint and buys the game. There are those who see sprint and cancel their preorder though (I'm one of them). Ntm those that see sprint and get pumped up are the ones that drop the game 1 week later.

Just wanted to point out that the Counter-Strike isn't comparable.

CSGO, which released in 2012, didn't start to see a growth spurt until the introduction of skins (the betting sites that followed right after), the ranking system, and the variety of casual options for lesser skilled players. While I enjoy CS the appeal isn't solely in the gameplay but rather the bells and whistles that were added later on (streaming was also a big part of that). Furthermore, CSGO retails at a substantially lower price then a boxed console game and another bit of food for thought is that the Steam install base is much larger than the Xbox One install base, at the moment.

So to recap:

- Skin creation

- Ranks

- Casual playlists

- Skin wagering

- low price point

- large install base

- Stream drops

These things really contributed to the success of CSGO as a video game and an esport in 2014/15 As opposed to its release in 2012. Again, Counter-Strike is an incredible FPS but had Valve not implement those features into the experience and relied entirely on the gameplay CS could have potentially been in a much different place in 2015.

Never underestimate people's desire to look cool in game.

• Upvote (+1) 3

This. A thousand billion times this.

I honestly believe that if they made a Halo game that was actually good and amazing (Like Halo 1,2 to a degree 3), and just made boatloads of skins and colours and patterns and icons and symbols, they'd have a winner.

Looking good in a game is extremely important for a huge amount of people. I'm fortunate where it doesn't bother me (especially in an FPS which you can only see your hands...) but so many people care an unbelievably large amount. If they want to attract casuals, this is literally all they need to do for Halo, make the Spartans customisable to an extreme degree, with some of the parts very hard to unlock and that'll drag them in. Then you just need a rankign system for us more skilled and refining types.

You don't need to murder the flow of the game just to attract casuals, casuals want tiny satisfactions like a gold gun skin for shooting grunts in the head. I care about the win and improving, gold guns don't mean shit to me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I wrote this post 2 and a half years ago so idk how well it still holds up and there's probably a few things I would change but the spirit of the post is maintained.

CSGO, which released in 2012, didn't start to see a growth spurt until the introduction of skins (the betting sites that followed right after), the ranking system, and the variety of casual options for lesser skilled players. While I enjoy CS the appeal isn't solely in the gameplay but rather the bells and whistles that were added later on (streaming was also a big part of that). Furthermore, CSGO retails at a substantially lower price then a boxed console game and another bit of food for thought is that the Steam install base is much larger than the Xbox One install base, at the moment.

So to recap:

- Skin creation
- Ranks
- Casual playlists
- Skin wagering
- low price point
- large install base
- Stream drops

These things really contributed to the success of CSGO as a video game and an esport in 2014/15 As opposed to its release in 2012. Again, Counter-Strike is an incredible FPS but had Valve not implement those features into the experience and relied entirely on the gameplay CS could have potentially been in a much different place in 2015.

There are lots that I would like to point out here. I agree and disagree.

First is that they are comparable. The point here is that 343i/M$ only care about the bottom line (profits). It is proven through CS:GO that games with old style and same mechanics can be successful. 343i has told us this is incorrect.

Second. We have told them so many times about ranks and they are just now listening. Don't tell me that CSR was listening. CSR and MCC are deterrents. They are simply trying to get the Halo fans to stop complaining about the new additions with "bait" like ranks/mcc. They continue to include personal performance as a factor in ranks in Halo 5. It's the small things. (Halo CE still 3v3, Halo 4 Red X, Red X getting patched in but it's white). The small things are always getting overlooked or changed just because "it's our game and we want to be different".

Third. Casual playlists. This works in league of legends for a reason. The game is the same. I was pissed when I heard about sprint being a custom toggle. Just remove it or leave it in (remove it). Ask APK. He is a huge forger and has said that the game is divided greatly because of the custom settings. League has no custom settings, the casual and competitive playlist are IDENTICAL other than visual/hidden ranks. I am adamant that the ONLY change in Halo from ranked to unranked should be radar/no radar. That's it. No change in maps/gametypes/spawns/weapons/power ups/positions/movement/NOTHING.

Four. Skin wagering. I don't know too much about this but I know it increases the spectators by quite a bit. Would also work in Halo. Breast cancer awareness pink br available this month only for $50. I'm in.

Five. Low price point. Possible on console but more difficult to do. I would suggest a downloadable stand-alone, multiplayer only copy of Halo 5 for half price on the marketplace. They come in and buy skins.

Six. Large install base. Halo already has this. People forget that Halo 3 consistently competed and traded population leader with CoD 4 for years. Don't tell me this bs about H3 not having competition. I've heard it enough and it's just plain stupid. Statistics don't lie (but they can be manipulated) and this is why you can't view the population in MCC.

Seven. Stream drops. Not sure what this is?

Last but not least you saying that CS:GO might not be what it is without these features. This is my point. They made the game better with features. FEATURES. They didn't change the core. They added features. Halo has so many features it could add without TOUCHING any aspect of the gameplay. Add those to draw attention. Don't touch the core.

I'd like to say I have nothing against you GoldenBody and that multiple times I have wanted to yell at you only to realize that you are playing devil's advocate. I give you credit for that because it does stop some people and cause them to think which can be helpful. I would love to skype sometime and talk about Halo because I know you have a unique angle on it and have some knowledge to bring to the table. Most of this is not aimed at you, just my thoughts being sent out in a semi-ranting format. Thanks for the reply :)

This. A thousand billion times this.

I honestly believe that if they made a Halo game that was actually good and amazing (Like Halo 1,2 to a degree 3), and just made boatloads of skins and colours and patterns and icons and symbols, they'd have a winner.

Looking good in a game is extremely important for a huge amount of people. I'm fortunate where it doesn't bother me (especially in an FPS which you can only see your hands...) but so many people care an unbelievably large amount. If they want to attract casuals, this is literally all they need to do for Halo, make the Spartans customisable to an extreme degree, with some of the parts very hard to unlock and that'll drag them in. Then you just need a rankign system for us more skilled and refining types.

You don't need to murder the flow of the game just to attract casuals, casuals want tiny satisfactions like a gold gun skin for shooting grunts in the head. I care about the win and improving, gold guns don't mean shit to me.

I think that it's also important to mention that this adds so much longevity. I would have left League a long time ago if I hadn't sunk money into it. I can't spend money to look good and then not play anymore. It literally keeps me coming back knowing that I have those skins/champs on that account. I know this mindset is in players minds as well. My brother only played because it has a ranking system. Started out in bronze and now is low plat. It's a great experience and it's huge that only wins matter. Individual performance should never be factored in. ever.

So to recap:

- Skin creation

- Ranks

- Casual playlists

- Skin wagering

- low price point

- large install base

- Stream drops

Well Valve at least knows how to not fuck up a game with out changing gameplay. If they added sprint Valve would bombed and all its employees executed within the week.

/exaggeration

Lets not forget CS GO had some gameplay issues in the begging but Valve has good relations with its Pros and CSGO actually managed to unite, for the most part, the CSS and CS 1.6 communities. The game had SERIOUS game play issues in the begging such as random recoil.  AND NO, Valve didn't pull some #immersion or #realism bullshit. They updated the recoil to be more predictable, just how it was like int he past decade of Counter Strike. The game not only has good gameplay but it has hype, controversy, ranks, and skins. DING DING! Money making eSports formula! 

Halo had a chance to be like CS:GO but it fucked up severely.  

#PCMasterRace #Lord GaBen #Valve

Look at Halo Reach, even. People ate that shit up in that you could dress up your Spartan more than ever before.

Yeah it's crazy, like I can understand wanting some basic customization to add that extra bit of player recognition, but the armor in Reach and 4 isn't distinct enough to be able to tell what your opponent is using anyway. Like in Halo 3, I could distinguish and recognize all the variants from each other in the middle of a hectic match, but in all the subsequent games the armor just blends together into this mess of unnecessary detail.

Notice how ALL of the things you listed have no impact on gameplay. 

Why is it that 343 thinks gameplay changes are necessary for Halo to be successful? They could easily just add gimmicky visual features that don't change gameplay at all. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

-Bring in Warriors and Ambush mutiple times throughout Halo 5's development, as well as Salot, Ghostayame, Diesel, Gandhi, and Maven to test out maps, weapons, powerups/orbs, settings, new gametypes, old gametypes, functionality, etc.

Reading this right now is funny imo.

-Salot would introduce Simplex as a disk map.

-Ghostayame works at 343 but has no power to change things.

-Diesel is the coach that should know that there are good competitive forge maps out there (for H2A) but still forges the worst midship clone in the history of Halo.

-Gandhi turned into a 343 fanboy who now supports sprint and all the other crap (back then he seemed to hate all this stuff).

-Maven would maybe suggest good things but that is just a random thought I have no idea...

• Upvote (+1) 2

Reading this right now is funny imo.

-Salot would introduce Simplex as a disk map.

-Ghostayame works at 343 but has no power to change things.

-Diesel is the coach that should know that there are good competitive forge maps out there (for H2A) but still forges the worst midship clone in the history of Halo.

-Gandhi turned into a 343 fanboy who now supports sprint and all the other crap (back then he seemed to hate all this stuff).

-Maven would maybe suggest good things but that is just a random thought I have no idea...

lol I know.

-I too don't like some of Salot's creations, but he has good insight when it comes to map design.

-Yup. Eric go get us donuts and coffee then take the rest of the day off.

-No comment....

-I hate this so much.

-Better options but I just threw his name in there.

• Upvote (+1) 2

lol I know.

-I too don't like some of Salot's creations, but he has good insight when it comes to map design.

-No comment....

-I hate this so much.

His only successful maps have been midship clones, come on...

• Upvote (+1) 2

lol I know.

-No comment....

-I hate this so much.

Making maps you like does not say anything about his insight or knowledge of map design. I have heard forgers claim that he has made very unsubstantiated comments in the past that go against conventional level design theory. I have never seen him discuss the map design process, or even what makes a good map, outside of the map needing to be simple and have powerpositions (which even the most basic of players understands).

Ghost has a QA position. His job it limitted to play testing the game, looking for exploits, and giving suggested improvements that coincide with 343i's vision of what they want the game to be.

Diesel knows how to play and can couch reasonably well, but that is about it. His remake of Simplex is really bad.

Ghandi is not a sellout, he has only conceded that Halo is going in a different direction and is not blindly hating on it.

Who is Maven?

So to recap:

- Skin creation

- Ranks

- Casual playlists

- Skin wagering

- low price point

- large install base

- Stream drops

Yep, but whether or not CS is popular because of the competitive gameplay, at the very least it proves that a game absolutely can be competitive and popular. There's no denying that there's this prevailing idea in this day and age that a game cannot do well without sprint and other generic FPS features, no matter what other bells and whistles it has. And yet we know that's not true.

Is CS:GO doing worse than other low-priced steam games that do have sprint and other generic non-competitive features (serious question)? That's what we'd expect if it were true that the CS:GO players tolerate, as opposed to appreciate and enjoy, the lack of features such as sprint.

His only successful maps have been midship clones, come on...

This was two years ago when I threw his name in there. I now know a lot more forgers and honestly I'd rather have him in there than whoever made those trash maps that were in Halo 4. That was the only requirement when I typed up that rant 2 years ago. I've talked to him on skype and he had some good knowledge on map design even if it doesn't always shine through in his recent maps. I never said I like his maps (dispatch was terrible imo).

Making maps you like does not say anything about his insight or knowledge of map design. I have heard forgers claim that he has made very unsubstantiated comments in the past that go against conventional level design theory. I have never seen him discuss the map design process, or even what makes a good map, outside of the map needing to be simple and have powerpositions (which even the most basic of players understands).

Ghost has a QA position. His job it limitted to play testing the game, looking for exploits, and giving suggested improvements that coincide with 343i's vision of what they want the game to be.

Diesel knows how to play and can couch reasonably well, but that is about it. His remake of Simplex is really bad.

Ghandi is not a sellout, he has only conceded that Halo is going in a different direction and is not blindly hating on it.

Who is Maven?

See above. And yea I'll be pissed if Diesel has his map even considered.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This was two years ago when I threw his name in there. I now know a lot more forgers and honestly I'd rather have him in there than whoever made those trash maps that were in Halo 4. That was the only requirement when I typed up that rant 2 years ago. I've talked to him on skype and he had some good knowledge on map design even if it doesn't always shine through in his recent maps. I never said I like his maps (dispatch was terrible imo).

See above. And yea I'll be pissed if Diesel has his map even considered.

What forgers would you suggest today, and were can we find their work?