I think Halo 4 is fun. I started on Halo CE like most of you, but seem to disagree on the whole sprint and such issue. Sprint and other add ons make a fast paced and unpredictable game. Those who take on the extra work to learn the ins and outs of the new game will do well, while those who are constantly dreading the game that they play because of such add ons will not.

Learn to grow with a franchise; you are all stuck in the past and missing the games that no longer exist.

I think Halo 4 is fun. I started on Halo CE like most of you, but seem to disagree on the whole sprint and such issue. Sprint and other add ons make a fast paced and unpredictable game. Those who take on the extra work to learn the ins and outs of the new game will do well, while those who are constantly dreading the game that they play because of such add ons will not.

Learn to grow with a franchise; you are all stuck in the past and missing the games that no longer exist.

Comments like the "adapt" comment make no sense to me. If we're heading down a path that generally has more disadvantages from a competitive standpoint than advantages, why should we just deal with it when there's a possibility of removing it?

"Running" doesn't make the game a fast paced game. It just means you have quick movement speeds combined with slow kill times and weird mechanics. Halo CE feels much slower with movement speed, but the game "plays" much more quickly due to the kill times and gameplay.

We may be stuck in the past, but were just desperately trying to stop the future from being shitty.

I could give sprint a chance and listen to pro sprint arguments IF they completely removed the animation/duration it takes for the player to see his reticule and be able to shoot. We're restricting and punishing those with quicker reaction times by putting an equal cap on players who use sprint. Halo doesn't have a high focus on twitch like aiming, and I always felt that the game benefited those with great reaction times. There shouldn't be any reason why you have to wait to shoot your opponent due to in game mechanics.

Did you ever watch halo 2? We restricted animation times in every single area possible due to button glitches. We did it on melee's, we did it on reloading, we did it for other areas involving double shooting. I'm sure many pro's have videos containing this, but I can show you a 4v4 with Eli the Ninja who utilizes a lot of these. When you look at that gameplay compared to Halo 4, it's hard to not feel this game is very very forgiving, especially with sprint.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Okay then, Sprint could also mean, "Kill people quickly before they have a chance to run", which promotes skill and quick reactions. It just depends on your train of thought.

Clearly, most thoughts here are set in stone from the past. I don't know if you saw UMG Chicago, but it was interesting as funk.

Like i said, I played Halo CE-4, so i know what you are saying, trust me. I am pretty sure H4 has the grenade/sprint glitch/reduction of animation, am I wrong?

Explain the sprint means you can kill people quickly before they have a chance to run.. because without context I disagree and thing it has more to do with the weapon and positioning. If you get one shot in a player and they decide to sprint on any map in V4 right now, chances are they can make it to a corner or behind some cover and continue sprinting. If you decide to chase with is normally a bad idea, you put yourself at a disadvantage while the worse/weak player has the advantage. You have no offensive action of shooting while he runs, while he  has plenty of defense with being able to sprint and recharge his shields. If you decide to chase with sprint, by the time you catch up to him his sprint will have run out first, and his reticule has appeared and he now has the jump on the first shot for you, all because he originally in a bad position. You couldn't punish because the game rewards defensive sprinting, and you don't chase because you're now at a slight disadvantage.

It's great to have ways for players to punish others for bad mistakes, but sprint in my eyes gives players a lot of chances to make up for their mistakes. The player on offense doesn't get rewarded because the enemy is now sprinting across the map, and you're trying to hit him with a gun that flinches for some reason.

Sprint makes the game visually faster, since you're covering the larger maps at a higher pace, but I feel it slows the game down. It has some positives that can be taken advantage of and used in creative ways to outplay an opponent, but the problem lies within the cons for me. I think the mechanic itself is more of a disadvantage than an advantage, and if we just up the movement speed allowing players to shoot while moving quickly, we eliminiate the problems I talk about. Players who should have been punished due to bad positioning and aim now don't have a get out of jail free card, and the person who is punishing at least has the option to move closer to the opponent to finish him off while shooting at the same time.

I don't know if you are wrong about that animation thing to be honset.

Here's some middty CTF from Eli's POV. He's known as a bit of a twitchy player and one of the most dominant double shots in the game, so he might utilize button glitches more. Also, he's host so I don't think BXR reload fully works. I don't expect you to watch the whole video, but you can see how often he reduces animations and kills times.

I mean, it incentivizes people to kill others more efficiently.

If sprint is so easy to run, then why is your KDR anything under infinity?

Sprint creates a different strategy where teammates need to have eyes on everyone so that they can team shot quicker. I think this makes Halo MORE interesting.

And I am correct about the grenade thing, I was just wondering if you were aware. Yes, glitches like double beatdown, BXR, double shot were fun in Halo 2 (you speak as if i don't know what they are), but I don't think competetive players should be relying on glitch tricks - I think Halo is more about out smarting your opponent strategically. 

Are you asking about my specific performance in Halo 4?

No, I am just trying to disprove your theory of sprint enabling players to successfully get away.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

No, I am just trying to disprove your theory of sprint enabling players to successfully get away.

by asking about my specific performance? I'm serious, do you like actually want to know or is that just what you're trying to use as evidence?

I disagree that sprint is the reason why you need to have eyes everywhere. Did you watch that Midship game? That requires eyes everywhere and thats due to LOS and map geometry. It's the same as playing lockout on H2 and H4, with or without sprint it doesn't change your awareness of the map.

I speak of the button vaguely because I don't care what action they do I'm really only trying to get across the point of the reduction of times allowing players to utilize fast reaction times not only as to what the stock game allows, but quicker than that. None of those glitches actually broke the game oddly enough. I'd say pro's shouldn't rely on glitches but the way I see it, the glitches added more Pro's than Cons to the game, and added more depth through different ways. Close range game now had variables, even if your opponent had a sword/shotty. Sometimes BXR reloading meant the difference in picking up a kill and losing a kill due to being a shot down.

I just don't see all the pro's of sprinting out weighing the cons of sprinting. I agree that we using prior games as templates, but I don't know how much more we can "explore" with halo 4 to make it different but still a solid competitive title. I mean theres a formula used throughout the series and despite certain things declining, the game somewhat kept it.

Remember, Halo CE was supposed a console knockoff of quake. Not exactly quake, but the fundamentals of it into a console game with controllers and mechanics to support it. You can't blame the ones who group up with that formula to rather keep that than merging into CoD formula + Halo Mechanics.

• Upvote (+1) 1

That's fine. There are plenty of things that helped make halo interesting. I was just trying to explain why I thought it was bad from a competitive standpoint.

Would you mind telling me my stats though?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Have always said this since Reach came out look at what COD has done they have kept the same mechanics of the game throughout the series and look at how successful they are. HALO NEEDS TO GO BACK TO ORIGINAL Halo 2 and Halo 3 MECHANICS that is whats going to save Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm going to keep this short and simple, sprint doesn't belong in Halo (don't stop reading though). Halo has a unique formula that plays amazingly well and not only draws players in, but maintains them. Sprint is not apart of that formula (neither are loadouts). Let me explain. To start, sprint, instant respawn, no descoping, and armor abilities are why small maps don't play well. With sprint you can get around the map much too quickly. Instant respawn allows you to just pick off enemies you leave one shot after getting out played. No descoping allows you to not miss and hit everything. Armor abilities give players get out of jail free cards, extra routes, and make maps more cluttered. We have dealt with instant respawn and armor abilities in the right way, next is descoping and sprint. Descoping will return in Halo 5, if it doesn't, then goodbye. Sprint we can deal with now though. It should be removed and pushed for no sprint in Halo 5. We need to focus on Halo 5 now. Right now is the early process of development. Loadouts and armor abilities have been in the last two Halos, we need to correct this. Back to sprint though, the most important issue with sprint is that it is near impossible to make a good map with sprint in Halo. Making fun maps is sooo much easier without sprint. 343i couldn't make more than one good map with sprint enabled.. Forgers are even having issues with it. The jumps that are possible with sprint, the routes that are easier, etc. Haven is a huge map if you weren't aware. Even in Halo 4 sprint needs to go. No sprint adds so much to gameplay. Remember the jump from plat to green in Halo 3? Pointless with sprint. Simple dynamics are lost with sprint. Sprint would ruin the good maps in Halo 3. How can you adjust the pit, narrows, construct, etc for sprint? You can't. Better maps, descoping, and in game ranks are top priority imo, and the best way to get better maps, is to remove sprint and add descoping back.

(The rest isn't just about sprint)

Also, please don't type adapt anywhere in any of your posts. It lowers everybody's IQ and I bought a Halo game. It should be the same in the core aspect of gameplay. New games should not change the core gameplay. When doing scientific experiments, scientists change one aspect and nothing else, that way they know what aspects work and which ones don't. 343i changed way too much, and at first we didn't know what worked and what didn't. As we filter through everything, we are finding our way home. If 343i wants to make their footprint on the Halo series, then release a Halo game. Don't change the gameplay, but add features. Add in game ranks, add a theater that works with multiple people, improve forge, work constantly on improving maps, add your own game mode (spartan ops/firefight/something better), add in spectator mode, etc. Add in features, don't change the gameplay. I don't mind spartan ops/mantis type updates because it is something new, but it doesn't break the game. Do these kinds of things, but don't detract from the Halo experience. Please learn from your mistakes, and do the following for gameplay reasons:

-remove flinch

-remove armor abilties

-remove loadouts

-remove sprint

-remove ordances

-add in descoping

-add in moving while holding back button

-add in camo/os orbs (maybe this is where you can get creative and add in other orbs)

-Spend more time on maps

-Bring in Warriors and Ambush mutiple times throughout Halo 5's development, as well as Salot, Ghostayame, Diesel, Gandhi, and Maven to test out maps, weapons, powerups/orbs, settings, new gametypes, old gametypes, functionality, etc. The best will find flaws first. Incourage them to talk directly to the big shots and those in charge. Make esports known throughout the entire office. Meet with MLG, AGL, UMG, and Ghostayame to make sure that the throwdown/competitive settings will be 95% the same with the casual settings. That's why Halos 1-3 were successful. The game was fun and competitive without changing anything. Do this, and you will be successful.

fd0c69baaab6f002f4f8b278850c79dc.png

#ShortandSimple

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sprint makes bad players less bad.

Sprint also makes good players even better.

Sprint dosent add to or take away from the game as far as i'm concerned, it just changes it.. makes it interesting and new.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 6

Sprint dosent add to or take away from the game as far as i'm concerned, it just changes it.. makes it interesting and new.

Sprint makes good players less good. Bad positioning is not punished as much because one shot players can run away. Dieing isn't punished as much because players can sprint directly back to mid. Sprint functions as a defensive ability due to the reticle delay when coming out of sprint. Players can run away with no penalty but if I chase I get punished due to reticle delay while they wait with their reticle ready. Fast reflexes are also punished by reticle delay when coming out of sprint. These are just things that are directly related to the sprint mechanic. There are numerous indirect effects of sprint that make good players less good.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

First of all, there is limited area on a map, so if your team is in good position, the sprinter will be "punished" eventually anyway.

Second, saying sprint doesn't punish people who are one shot, Applies to everyone, not just noobs. - Creating no different in how "good" a player is.

Pros - Incentivizes better teamwork

Cons - No one can accept the small change

BTW, I just got a spot on a team with some real good players other than myself, because my sprint is amazing.  :ninja:

:rolleyes:

• Downvote (-1) 4

I'm going to keep this short and simple,

If 343i wants to make their footprint on the Halo series, then release a Halo game.

Make sure that the throwdown/competitive settings will be 95% the same with the casual settings. That's why Halos 1-3 were successful. The game was fun and competitive without changing anything. Do this, and you will be successful.

Agreed.

Can you point me to your source for Thruster, or one second of Sprint duration, breaking maps?

Side note : Titan fall has Thrusters for all marines and it looks pretty intense. So it is definitely possible, curious to see how that game plays out. Best of all, it is being released on 360 as well. :)

Amanda Bynes it's just from a pure competitive standpoint. From a casual standpoint it's okay I guess.

I've already explained why it's defensive, and punishes the player on offense. If you could sprint and shoot at the same time, it'd be OP but it'd be offensive.

Rewarding players for quick reaction times not limited by the games animations > allowing players a mechanic that can get them in and out of bad situations quicker than stock movement speed.

I just don't see why we keep it in when the theme for competitive gaming is to remove all randomness and give players an equal playing field. No sprint + upped movement speed = maps work, gameplay movement is quick, ability to shoot at any given time. A player who is in a bad position shouldn't have the advantage of faster movement speed to get away from a player who was in a good position but now can't chase because he's not as fast or has to wait for his reticule to come back.

I'm going to keep this short and simple, sprint doesn't belong in Halo (don't stop reading though). Halo has a unique formula that plays amazingly well and not only draws players in, but maintains them. Sprint is not apart of that formula (neither are loadouts). Let me explain. To start, sprint, instant respawn, no descoping, and armor abilities are why small maps don't play well. With sprint you can get around the map much too quickly. Instant respawn allows you to just pick off enemies you leave one shot after getting out played. No descoping allows you to not miss and hit everything. Armor abilities give players get out of jail free cards, extra routes, and make maps more cluttered. We have dealt with instant respawn and armor abilities in the right way, next is descoping and sprint. Descoping will return in Halo 5, if it doesn't, then goodbye. Sprint we can deal with now though. It should be removed and pushed for no sprint in Halo 5. We need to focus on Halo 5 now. Right now is the early process of development. Loadouts and armor abilities have been in the last two Halos, we need to correct this. Back to sprint though, the most important issue with sprint is that it is near impossible to make a good map with sprint in Halo. Making fun maps is sooo much easier without sprint. 343i couldn't make more than one good map with sprint enabled.. Forgers are even having issues with it. The jumps that are possible with sprint, the routes that are easier, etc. Haven is a huge map if you weren't aware. Even in Halo 4 sprint needs to go. No sprint adds so much to gameplay. Remember the jump from plat to green in Halo 3? Pointless with sprint. Simple dynamics are lost with sprint. Sprint would ruin the good maps in Halo 3. How can you adjust the pit, narrows, construct, etc for sprint? You can't. Better maps, descoping, and in game ranks are top priority imo, and the best way to get better maps, is to remove sprint and add descoping back.

(The rest isn't just about sprint)

Also, please don't type adapt anywhere in any of your posts. It lowers everybody's IQ and I bought a Halo game. It should be the same in the core aspect of gameplay. New games should not change the core gameplay. When doing scientific experiments, scientists change one aspect and nothing else, that way they know what aspects work and which ones don't. 343i changed way too much, and at first we didn't know what worked and what didn't. As we filter through everything, we are finding our way home. If 343i wants to make their footprint on the Halo series, then release a Halo game. Don't change the gameplay, but add features. Add in game ranks, add a theater that works with multiple people, improve forge, work constantly on improving maps, add your own game mode (spartan ops/firefight/something better), add in spectator mode, etc. Add in features, don't change the gameplay. I don't mind spartan ops/mantis type updates because it is something new, but it doesn't break the game. Do these kinds of things, but don't detract from the Halo experience. Please learn from your mistakes, and do the following for gameplay reasons:

-remove flinch

-remove armor abilties

-remove loadouts

-remove sprint

-remove ordances

-add in descoping

-add in moving while holding back button

-add in camo/os orbs (maybe this is where you can get creative and add in other orbs)

-Spend more time on maps

-Bring in Warriors and Ambush mutiple times throughout Halo 5's development, as well as Salot, Ghostayame, Diesel, Gandhi, and Maven to test out maps, weapons, powerups/orbs, settings, new gametypes, old gametypes, functionality, etc. The best will find flaws first. Incourage them to talk directly to the big shots and those in charge. Make esports known throughout the entire office. Meet with MLG, AGL, UMG, and Ghostayame to make sure that the throwdown/competitive settings will be 95% the same with the casual settings. That's why Halos 1-3 were successful. The game was fun and competitive without changing anything. Do this, and you will be successful.

fd0c69baaab6f002f4f8b278850c79dc.png

But we can fix Sprint and put it only in Social playlists and not in competitive playlists... :(

But we can fix Sprint and put it only in Social playlists and not in competitive playlists... :(

No. You can't fix sprint, it ruins maps and makes everybody's jobs more difficult. Not only that but we want near identical settings between ranked and social. One of the only differences should be radar honestly.

No. You can't fix sprint, it ruins maps and makes everybody's jobs more difficult. Not only that but we want near identical settings between ranked and social. One of the only differences should be radar honestly.

You dont quite get it.... At least 15k people want sprint in the Spanish Community, is not intensely bad because is fun sometimes, is different, is not a copy/paste from the first game, is one of the most decent abilities that Reach had, yes it breaks gameplay, maps and more.... but it shouldn't seriously taken out completely. Most people, including SAUCEY... agrees that everyone in the competitive scene could accept sprint in a certain extent in a social playlist, like BTB... Action Sack.... Griffball... or Flood. Its obviously difficult, punishes people in several ways. But I dont want Halo to be a Call of Duty, pasting and copying almost the exact same game and just replacing graphics. I want Halo to progress, thats why I honestly believe that taken out Sprint, would be maybe a good step for Competitive Halo, but not a good step for the progress that Halo came. Different and good. I also believe that Sprint can be tweaked in the future Halos... and be perfect for small and huge maps. 

You dont quite get it.... At least 15k people want sprint in the Spanish Community, is not intensely bad because is fun sometimes, is different, is not a copy/paste from the first game, is one of the most decent abilities that Reach had, yes it breaks gameplay, maps and more.... but it shouldn't seriously taken out completely. Most people, including SAUCEY... agrees that everyone in the competitive scene could accept sprint in a certain extent in a social playlist, like BTB... Action Sack.... Griffball... or Flood. Its obviously difficult, punishes people in several ways. But I dont want Halo to be a Call of Duty, pasting and copying almost the exact same game and just replacing graphics. I want Halo to progress, thats why I honestly believe that taken out Sprint, would be maybe a good step for Competitive Halo, but not a good step for the progress that Halo came. Different and good. I also believe that Sprint can be tweaked in the future Halos... and be perfect for small and huge maps. 

I know, and I'm telling you that won't happen. It should be removed. That is my opinion and It's beneficial to remove it more than it is helpful to keep it.

If sprint is so easy to run, then why is your KDR anything under infinity?

Sprint =/= Personal infinite use teleporter

Remember, Halo CE was supposed a console knockoff of quake. Not exactly quake, but the fundamentals of it into a console game with controllers and mechanics to support it. 

WTF? Where'd you get that from? 

Quake has no utility weapon, no shield regeneration, control of items focused on powerups rather than weapons, various movement tricks (rocket jumping, air control, circle jumping, etc), no true scope mechanic, no headshots, etc etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sprint dosent add to or take away from the game as far as i'm concerned, it just changes it.. makes it interesting and new.

Bloom also makes good players even better.

Bloom doesn't add or take away from the game as far as im concerned, it just changed it..makes it interesting and new.

Vague arguments with no reasoning ftw.

• Upvote (+1) 2