So I was thinking... and if you think about it this whole forum is essentially the biggest #FirstWorldProblems of all time.  I mean, nothing but page upon page upon page of text put in about complaints about what in the grand scheme of things are minor grievances.

So, in the nature of Dersky optimism, but mostly just in the nature of curiosity, I'd like to pose the following question:

What did halo 4 do right?

What were the additions/ changes made in halo 4 that you feel need to stay in for halo 5? DOESN'T JUST HAVE TO BE ABOUT MECHANICS!

I'll start:  

• I think this game obviously looks incredible.  It plays very, very smoothly too.  Impact looks so goddamn amazing.
  •  
  • traditional halo jumping height made a return- which is awesome.
  •  
  • I personally like hitmarkers
  •  
  • The sounds are fucking awesome.  Every weapons is just great to hear. They were built from the ground up for this game.
  •  
  • Weapon skins are a nice addition.  Obviously I don't think anyone here really cares about this, and I'm probably just making myself sound like a complete noob by even voicing this, but I think a little aesthetic customization on your weapons is cool.
  •  
  • hitscan.  No more shitty online halo 3 BR.  People may argue which is better for lan, but I don't think there can even be a question about which is better for online.
  •  
  • Promethean weapons!! The lightrifle is a fantastic addition to the halo sandbox.  Many people even wanted it as the primary competitive weapon.  Boltshot is like a more skilled version of the mauler, although it definitely should not be given as a loadout option. Promethean nades too.
  •  
  • And don't forget.  Sarah Palmer.   :lxthul:

So without further ado, what would you like see added or subtracted from this list, and do you have anything else to say about what I have in it?

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only thing this game got right was the campaign.. 

I honestly can't play the game online for more than a couple hours without needing to shut it off from my blood pressure rising to the point where my head gets blown off. 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

-Hitscan is a huge plus.

-This game is very aesthetically pleasing.

-This isn't really 343's doing but the forge maps in this game are the best IMO. Maps like Simplex, Dispatch, and Rail are amazing to play on.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The only thing Halo 4 really did right was trick us into thinking 343 were the saviours of Halo and got us to buy Halo 4, thus driving up the sales for the game. Props to the marketing team for hyping it up above what it actually was. 

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 2

The only thing I liked about Halo 4 was the graphics. That's pretty much it's only redeeming quality. In particular, I liked the contrasts of Exile, such as the tunnels. 

I won't make a response to all of your points, but I must say that the weapon sounds are a major let down in this game. The BR used to sound good in past Halo games and in Halo 4 it sounds off just like the Sniper Rifle does. 

I honestly don't even like the graphics in this game.  Yes, there are very realistic, but the earlier Halos had a certain "feel" that Reach and Halo 4 have been lacking.  I have no idea what makes up that "feel," and it's probably about 99% nostalgia-fueled, but something about the lighting/graphics in the older games made them feel better, Halo 3 especially.

Just so I'm not completely negative, I like the shadows on Forge.  That really helped a lot for aesthetics.  The shot registration in the game is incredible, too, but the hitboxes/auto-aim are still too much.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

The only thing Halo 4 really did right was trick us into thinking 343 were the saviours of Halo and got us to buy Halo 4, thus driving up the sales for the game. Props to the marketing team for hyping it up above what it actually was. 

LOL. It must suck to have to pay $60 for a game you only got a few dozen hours of enjoyment out of right? And tricking you into buying the game? Are you serious? There was tons of pre-release footage, if you didn't like what you saw you shouldn't have bought it. Stop bitching about 343 when YOUR PURCHASING DECISION is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

On topic: great graphics, wonderful campaign (with terminal videos, and great cutscenes), lots of armor customization options, guns look and sound good, and some of the new weapons are really awesome (sticky det or binary rifle for example).

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 8

Am I the only person who thinks Halo's (in-game) graphics have never been good? Like, from day one? 

It's always felt like a bunch of cartoon characters in a bright, over-saturated, epilepsy-inducing environment. 

Like, if you walk up to a texture and put your helmet right up against it like you're trying to talk to a fellow astronaut, then yeah, the detail is pretty impressive. But you don't see that stuff when you're hopping around dodging bullets. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I honestly don't buy this point about "great graphics" that everyone is talking about.

The colour schemes are awful. There are so many dull, bland, soulless colours. Look at Adrift or Haven. So many greys and weird browns. Then you look at the big team maps.. meltdown.. vortex.. So many dark, cold colours. The only map that has any life to it visually is Exile and that is absolutely terrible to play.

What Bungie mostly did right is that they knew how to colour a map and how to add rich, vibrant textures. Halo 3 is a lot more visually pleasing than Halo 4. Sure Halo 4 might have technically more realistic graphics but it doesn't look... nice. The Pit H3 looks infinitely better than any halo 4 map. And as for the pitfall remake.. why have they chosen to make it such a terrible, rusty brown? 

The maps are ugly, and clunky.

As for what halo 4 got right. Well, hit detection. The detection in halo 4 is by far the best out of any game so far. Getting a 4 shot cross map BR in halo 3 was basically impossible unless you had host. I'll give it to 343, they certainly improved that aspect of it.

Although ultimately that's it. Not to be overly negative, but think about it.. 

Maps at launch? Garbage. 

Weapon system? Ordnance, loadouts, 5sk, Garbage

Sprint..

No Descoping..

CSR/CoD style point system and no true skill? Terrible.

The only thing they did right was the hit detection. I mean, it took about 8 months for the game to even be playable, and that was after consistent lobbying and moaning from the competitive community. Thankfully, 343 did listen, and they did incorporate some weapons changes, which is to their credit. 

Not to be unduly negative.. but I think most people can agree that the game was very bad at launch. Aside from hit detection, what is there? Seriously, what is there?

LOL. It must suck to have to pay $60 for a game you only got a few dozen hours of enjoyment out of right? And tricking you into buying the game? Are you serious? There was tons of pre-release footage, if you didn't like what you saw you shouldn't have bought it. Stop bitching about 343 when YOUR PURCHASING DECISION is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.

On topic: great graphics, wonderful campaign (with terminal videos, and great cutscenes), lots of armor customization options, guns look and sound good, and some of the new weapons are really awesome (sticky det or binary rifle for example).

It was more a friendly jab then a serious complaint. The point still stands that they dropped the ball on Halo 4, though. They falsely advertised the game, which a lot of people aren't happy about.

They told us there would be loads of customization options and when we bought the game, there weren't.

They told us the game was eSports friendly, it wasn't.

They told us there would be ingame ranks at launch, there weren't.

They then told us at Dallas that there would be ingame ranks before 2013, there weren't, still aren't and won't ever be for Halo 4.

The game is undeniably rushed and if a customer pays full price for a triple A title in which he/she has high expectations for due to the history of the franchise, I think it's fair to be disappointed and angry at the company making it.

• Upvote (+1) 6

LOL, the weapon sounds are awful. Everything sounds extremely superficial and plastic. The sniper sounds like you're shooting nails at wood.

I like the armor customization, but it's pretty overwhelming because there's so much and so many ways to unlock stuff. There's still character poses I will probably never see or get.

343i put A LOT of money into the production of Halo 4, and graphically it shows, in my opinion. So much so, that it can be argued that they over-did it. Some maps are an eye-sore because of how heavily textured and cluttered everything is, but I can't deny that the textures look damn amazing.

I liked the general pacing of the game. It was refreshing to feel the pace feel high after a long time of playing Halo 3 (I put <6 hours in Reach, I'm sure) I also think Extraction's a cool idea.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I love the online connection, also the Graphics look pretty nice. I am genuinely struggling to think of anything else :\

Onto weapon sounds tho, they are pretty awful and annoying at times.

I love the online connection, also the Graphics look pretty nice. I am genuinely struggling to think of anything else :\

Onto weapon sounds tho, they are pretty awful and annoying at times.

Yeah when you shoot the BR, it sounds like a Cricket having a stroke.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

-Hitscan is a huge plus.

-This game is very aesthetically pleasing.

-This isn't really 343's doing but the forge maps in this game are the best IMO. Maps like Simplex, Dispatch, and Rail are amazing to play on.

wasn't dispatch a defualt map when you bought the game? I don't remember downloading it. I may be wrong, but i swear it was there at the start.

It was more a friendly jab then a serious complaint. The point still stands that they dropped the ball on Halo 4, though. They falsely advertised the game, which a lot of people aren't happy about.

They told us there would be loads of customization options and when we bought the game, there weren't.

They told us the game was eSports friendly, it wasn't.

They told us there would be ingame ranks at launch, there weren't.

They then told us at Dallas that there would be ingame ranks before 2013, there weren't, still aren't and won't ever be for Halo 4.

The game is undeniably rushed and if a customer pays full price for a triple A title in which he/she has high expectations for due to the history of the franchise, I think it's fair to be disappointed and angry at the company making it.

Did you seriously not know what you were buying?  lol, I kind of agree with Heathen on this one, yeah those things sucked, but we knew about them before the game came out.

I knew exactly what we were getting into with halo 4.  It sounds like you just took info from 5 months before the game came out, preordered it, and then never looked at any halo 4 news and just bought it day one.  Also I don't remember them ever confirming "in game" ranks, or that it would come "before" 2013.  And to be fair there really are a ton of customization options compared to other console fps's.  Also it really is competitive friendly- we're just spoiled with the original trilogy being so much better.  I mean, I'd still take halo 4 over CoD competitively.  I enjoy watching the events.  It may not be the competitive bombshell that we wanted it to be, but it is "friendly".  

The only thing this game got right was the campaign.. 

You don't like the weapon additions?  Or hitscan?

I mean jeez, I understand that I probably look like a halo 4 apologizer right now (i'm really just playing devil's advocate), but this thread is about what is good with halo 4.  We already have 25 other threads about what is bad, but so far only like 2 people have stuck with the topic, while the rest continue the same old bashing halo 4 dialogue that we already have enough of (me included in that conversation!)  I hate the stuff halo 4 did like the rest of you but can this please just be one discussion about the positive aspects?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

wasn't dispatch a defualt map when you bought the game? I don't remember downloading it. I may be wrong, but i swear it was there at the start.

It was called Relay, 343 made it from the Impact Forge template. Salot then improved Relay and made Dispatch for the competitive settings.

Did you seriously not know what you were buying?  lol, I kind of agree with Heathen on this one, yeah those things sucked, but we knew about them before the game came out.

I knew exactly what we were getting into with halo 4.  It sounds like you just took info from 5 months before the game came out, preordered it, and then never looked at any halo 4 news and just bought it day one.  Also I don't remember them ever confirming "in game" ranks, or that it would come "before" 2013.  And to be fair there really are a ton of customization options compared to other console fps's.  Also it really is competitive friendly- we're just spoiled with the original trilogy being so much better.  I mean, I'd still take halo 4 over CoD competitively.  I enjoy watching the events.  It may not be the competitive bombshell that we wanted it to be, but it is "friendly".  

I knew what I was buying but my point is that they promised us with all these customisable options and they just weren't there. Do you remember the state of the game in November? JiP every game, insta respawn basically every playlist, glitchy shit in nearly every map, Oddball on Complex? Yeah no problem, let me just hide in this wall for the entire game. Rifles were completely unbalanced. I could go on and on.

They did also state ingame ranks at launch and then at MLG Dallas, before 2013. That's why there was so much complaining when we finally found out that CSR was coming in April or whatever it was.

Halo 4 didn't come with spec mode in Q4 2012. End of. If you can't put in a half assed spec mode in 2012, you don't deserve to say your game is "eSports friendly".

I'm not saying H4 didn't come with customisation options, just saying they promised us a lot more and made it seem like it was going to be the most customisable Halo game to date and it just wasn't.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yeah when you shoot the BR, it sounds like a Cricket having a stroke.

I don't want to turn this topic into the opposite haha, But what annoys me the most is the reloading of the sniper.

I don't want to turn this topic into the opposite haha, But what annoys me the most is the reloading of the sniper.

I can't stand the sound but dat bolt action is cool as shit. Lolz.

The editor in me loves that.

Also, in the discussion of "knowing what you bought", watching gameplay =/= playing the game. I knew what I was getting into in Reach because I actually got an opportunity to PLAY THE GAME. Shotty, toaster-recorded gameplay videos only give you so much of an idea, but even reading the 10 page spread in Game Informer wasn't going to give you a true, accurate representation of what you were about to play.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Have you heard the Gravity Hammer from a distance? It's more of a squeak than a boom.

Only truly positive thing I can think of is developer support:

• Weapon tuning (even though it took forever)
  • Funding a tournament with prize money we have never seen before in Halo
  • Implemented competitive forge maps into other playlists

Granted this isn't a whole lot aside from the H4GC, it's still a decent start.

And I guess this is more about 343 than the game itself, whatever, I'm an idiot.

The game definitely has a lot more wrong with it than it does right.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The actual sniper looks like a toaster/microwave hybrid, fills up half your screen when you Sprint, lol.

• Upvote (+1) 3

So I was thinking... and if you think about it this whole forum is essentially the biggest #FirstWorldProblems of all time.  I mean, nothing but page upon page upon page of text put in about complaints about what in the grand scheme of things are minor grievances.

So, in the nature of Dersky optimism, but mostly just in the nature of curiosity, I'd like to pose the following question:

What did halo 4 do right?

What were the additions/ changes made in halo 4 that you feel need to stay in for halo 5? DOESN'T JUST HAVE TO BE ABOUT MECHANICS!

I'll start:  

• I think this game obviously looks incredible.  It plays very, very smoothly too.  Impact looks so goddamn amazing.
  •  
  • traditional halo jumping height made a return- which is awesome.
  •  
  • I personally like hitmarkers
  •  
  • The sounds are fucking awesome.  Every weapons is just great to hear. They were built from the ground up for this game.
  •  
  • Weapon skins are a nice addition.  Obviously I don't think anyone here really cares about this, and I'm probably just making myself sound like a complete noob by even voicing this, but I think a little aesthetic customization on your weapons is cool.
  •  
  • hitscan.  No more shitty online halo 3 BR.  People may argue which is better for lan, but I don't think there can even be a question about which is better for online.
  •  
  • Promethean weapons!! The lightrifle is a fantastic addition to the halo sandbox.  Many people even wanted it as the primary competitive weapon.  Boltshot is like a more skilled version of the mauler, although it definitely should not be given as a loadout option. Promethean nades too.
  •  
  • And don't forget.  Sarah Palmer.   :lxthul:

So without further ado, what would you like see added or subtracted from this list, and do you have anything else to say about what I have in it?

Are you on crack? the sounds in this game are so limited they sound like a squashed mess. Everything is the exact same volume including the reloading at the bottom of haven and the foot steps they limited all the reverbs so it just sounds fucked.

Thruster Pack

It is the one addition to the game which if feel has a ton of potential without breaking the core mechanics.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Only truly positive thing I can think of is developer support:

but that holiday vacation right after launch where the pop dropped like 50k

Ontopic: Removing Armor Lock.

• Upvote (+1) 2