still makes the player do most of the work to learn the callouts.

Why make it harder for them though? 

You're right. Make everything easier - hell, just drop the weapons out of the sky every time they get 5 assists.

Regardless of how casual you are - some challenge and learning is part of the fun.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Skillgap. It separates the players who WANT to learn and progress in the game to the players who don't. You can't hand every player all this information on a silver platter. If you make a game too easy, you get Halo 4, with little to no replay value, whereas if you have the opposite, it has more longevity and doesn't get boring quickly. 

Are you guys really trying to imply theres a skillgap to calling out and weapon locations...? 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Are you guys really trying to imply theres a skillgap to calling out and weapon locations...? 

Yes, if we're talking about normal Halo's, not Halo 4 and it's ordinance waypoints.

It's a smaller skillgap than other things but it still rewards the player/team who are on top of weapon timers and map callouts. Obviously at the competitive level, this is much less of an occurrence but it's still a skillgap. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's one of those things every player that wants to play competitive should know. 

You're right. Make everything easier - hell, just drop the weapons out of the sky every time they get 5 assists.

Regardless of how casual you are - some challenge and learning is part of the fun.

I cant agree with your reasoning. Giving a map overview and general callouts isn't anywhere as bad as ordnance drops. This is a healthy improvement and shouldn't be dismissed just because you like preying on the ignorant. In my opinion helping to improve the knowledge of the player base improves the whole community and the matches me play. Frankly I am getting kinda tired of having unbelievably stupid teammates and coming out in a game super positive but still losing, any bit of legitimate (not the cheap weapon giveaways) help I welcome with open arms. If you think about it this might just be enough to get players to plug in mics and communicate now that they have that info to use. 

Maybe its the fact that I enjoy teaching others to play halo but dismissing this idea just because people like to kill noobs is wrong and should be kept to yourself. I'm not saying that Weapon waypoints and ordnance drops are right because they aren't. Where did you learn callouts? From videos? From friends? its all public knowledge in the end why is it such a terrible idea to put it on a splash screen?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lol, the point of a loading screen is to load the gameplay, Don't think we could view gameplay while gameplay is loading because that just beats the purpose of a loading screen

Facepalm* When i said before You Load up i meant like before you're player Spawns, But yea i see you're Point, Obviously Things need to Load First.

I cant agree with your reasoning. Giving a map overview and general callouts isn't anywhere as bad as ordnance drops.

Where did you learn callouts? From videos? From friends? its all public knowledge in the end why is it such a terrible idea to put it on a splash screen?

I didn't say they were equal. And I also am not opposed to putting them in the loading screen, I just liked the less detailed loading screen with one item or callout at a time. I don't think everything should be handed to players. Read previous posts - challenge and learning can be FUN!

And I learned my callouts from the same group of dudes I've always played Halo with. We actually used "callouts" before I realized that was a thing. We still create our own for most locations. I think probably 50% of all the maps since Halo 2 have had a "Jesse's Spot" as a callout amongst my friends.

Or we could have a loading screen for the loading screen :apk:

No but seriously, its not exactly gameplay, its just a picture of the map and names for callouts

Have you ever played Tony Hawk Project 8? It would show videos during the loading screen. It was also an OG Xbox.

The thing with developer callouts is that even if they suck, as long as they code it properly they could switch out images with more up to date callouts later on once callouts get established amongst community members and pros.

It doesn't really matter if they stick with the callouts the devs made up, at least people would start calling out, and almost anyone would know "oh he's talking about  ......., I know where to look".

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like it but on forge maps overviews would be hard to get. Along with callouts.

It's a bit of a stretch, but if 343 were to implement this and wanted to do it right, they could at least add a forge object labelled "top-down camera" or something along those lines so that players could take a picture to use in the loading screen. I know it wouldn't work for some forge maps with closed roofs but it's still something.

Otherwise, they could simply make the necessary pictures/screenshots for the forge maps they decide to use in matchmaking and implement them as soon as possible after a map is introduced into online playlists. Hopefully this would be possible without having to release patches each time.

too much bandwidth :kappa:

but yeah on a serious note there are 2 flaws I see with this, A) 343i likely wouldn't use good callouts and B) it would make implementing forge maps more difficult.

the only way I see them doing something like this is if they give us the tools to create our own, so essentially it would have to be up to the community.

good idea though :)