Jinxer

Operation: Grow Competitive Halo

don't you think that the biggest thing is that the willingness to lose and "get better" is what the problem is, i could lose a bunch of times in CE and h2 and still want to play so that way i could get better and try again, even with the same team.  It just seems that only players (competitive at least) want to play with a 100% certainty of winning.  Streamers are guilty of doing this same premise where they don't readjust teams and BLAME in game.  Everyone loses and just moving pass that is a good start.  It's been SOOOO long since i've seen a streamer play with viewers in customs.

I completely agree on the readjusting teams point. Ive been in lobbies where instead of just swapping 1 player from each team we re-pick teams altogether. you should check strongside jr's stream out. he plays with viewers all the time.

Guys, we gotta start Tweeting to ppl like Greenskull and Roosterteeth. If we can get a shoutout by them than we making progress.

don't you think that the biggest thing is that the willingness to lose and "get better" is what the problem is, i could lose a bunch of times in CE and h2 and still want to play so that way i could get better and try again, even with the same team. It just seems that only players (competitive at least) want to play with a 100% certainty of winning. Streamers are guilty of doing this same premise where they don't readjust teams and BLAME in game. Everyone loses and just moving pass that is a good start. It's been SOOOO long since i've seen a streamer play with viewers in customs.

5K viewers to 8k is pretty significant in my opinion. Especially in a game where the population is either on the decline or stagnant.

I think the reason for low population in the playlist has already been pointed out. You either fall in the very good group or the very bad group. There is no in the middle. The solution is to bring in more players good and bad.

I think the reason for low population in the playlist has already been pointed out. You either fall in the very good group or the very bad group. There is no in the middle. The solution is to bring in more players good and bad.

its pretty much similar to playing CS right now, you are already in that group but if you grew up with having to learn things, like in halo 1, 2, and even 3 then you are fine with playing with anyone and willing to help players out.  but bitching and screaming saying "my team sucks" doesn't benefit it.  I know many times of getting booted because of doing to good or sometimes not good enough even when WINNING .  i don't get mad about it i just say gg and move on.  "Talent you have naturally, SKILL is ONLY developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft." So give time for ok players to become good and good players to become great instead of just immediately booting. 

For one thing (as a strong eSports follower of almost every "legit" esport game) StarCraft and League of Legends have a reddit page mixed with competetive and casual (the majority is competetive) which creates more exposure to people in reddit currently Halo has 63k people on Reddit while we have a seperate Reddit page for Competetive Halo which is a bad move we need people to start posting in the normal Halo reddit but at the same time it's hard with only just about 30k players

• Upvote (+1) 1

Explain the miraculous growth the past 4-5 months then. 

More competitive settings have been introduced with the update and v4.  And the growth has been rather gradual and expected rather than "miraculous".

For one thing (as a strong eSports follower of almost every "legit" esport game) StarCraft and League of Legends have a reddit page mixed with competetive and casual (the majority is competetive) which creates more exposure to people in reddit currently Halo has 63k people on Reddit while we have a seperate Reddit page for Competetive Halo which is a bad move we need people to start posting in the normal Halo reddit but at the same time it's hard with only just about 30k players

Yeah I agree.  I'm starting to post competitive links in both /r/halo and /r/competitivehalo.  the /r/halo ones get ignored for the most part but it's a start.

If they were to put H2 back on xbox live - I would give my left nut to help grow competitive Halo! 

Also, my life would be over because that is all I would be playing. 

If you love Halo as much as I do and have been around for a good while, you know the community is in a fragile state (even though its getting better). We also know that many players are not going to come back to Halo 4 (casual or competitive). Right now, we see about 700-800 players in the TTD playlist every night , 800-1500 stream viewers every night, and our largest event (viewer wise) topped at about 8500 viewers. We saw a HUGE jump late spring/early summer but we have not seen much of an increase since then (maybe 1000 viewers from AGL 5- AGL 8). If we want to continue to grow, we as a community are going to have to make it happen.

We cant rely on players coming back to grow the community. We have to get the casuals playing competitively. I know you guys are probably like "ahhhh these kids suck, I dont want them playing with me." But you guys cant be selfish if you want the community to grow. We all started out as casuals. When we first started (pros included), there were probably guys saying "man, this kid sucks whats he doing here" (minus the Ogres). But we all LOVED the game. Now, there are 20K+ casuals out there that LOVE THIS GAME (cause if you think this game sucks competitively, its 10x worse casually so theyve got to love it). And if we want to continue to grow, WE AS A COMMUNITY need to pull those players into the competitive scene.

That is why I made this thread.

We need to come up with ways that can help us do so. Of course there is the couple dozen a month that may stumble into the TTD playlist and enjoy it, but that is not very much growth at all.

What you can do:

• Be polite to the new players in the TTD playlist. After all your rank doesn't even really matter in this game.
  • Say GG and offer to party up with the players that you can tell are trying and arent doing that well.
  • Invite those players to customs.
  • Go into playlists like Infinity Slayer, Team Snipers, Legendary, Team Doubles, GC, and SWAT and LOOK for players who look like they stand a chance in a competitive setting (i.e. they have a mic, scoring high on the scoreboard, kinda sorta calling out, trying to win). Party up with those players and try to introduce them to the TTD playlist/ competitive scene (NICELY).
  • Tell the newer players about AGL, montages, pros, etc.

We have got to find out ways to grow this community. Here is my idea:

NOOB NIGHTS!

You and a few other friends bring a noob (even though I hate that word) and POLITELY introduce them to the competitive scene. That means running customs, matchmaking, hanging out with them. The party doesnt need to be dominated by good people though. Either 2 noobs and 2 good kids vs 2 noobs and 2 good kids or more noobs than good kids. REMEMBER: No one likes getting shit on :). So go easy, have fun and dont be a tryhard. If they see that you are having fun then maybe theyll do the same and stick.

Who do I bring?

• The new TTD players I talked about above.
  • The casuals I talked about above.
  • Casual friends that you know.
  • Friends that may have quit but are scared to get raped when they come back.
  • RL friends that play casually

What should I do when we play?

• Be nice!
  • Be helpful!
  • Tell them good job if they do something remotely good.
  • DO NOT be a tryhard. Make sure that they know you are better than them (so they can be like "wooow hes amazing") but dont unrelentlessly shit on em, cause no one likes that.
  • DO NOT shit talk. If youre going to do it, make sure its in a teasing fashion and towards a good player. Also, if you see a noob outskill a good kid let that good kid know it (while still being playful)! Itll make the noob feel good inside :)
  • DO NOT complain about sprint, descope, etc. (you want to pretend that competitive Halo EVEN ON H4 is the most fun thing ever).
  • DO NOT get mad at them when they do something bad (cause it will happen). Instead, just tell them (politely) what they shoulda done after the game. REMEMBER: You were in their shoes at one point too.
  • MOST IMPORTANTLY. Have FUN :). These players dont really know competitive Halo (Yet hopefully) so you have to make it fun.

If you have any ideas to grow the scene BY ALL MEANS post em here! Ill try to quote the good ones and put em in the OP :)

TL;DR for non main-english-speakers?  :(