Sign in to follow this  
MATCLAN

Unpopular Opinions: Halo maps.

I hate BTB so much. I especially hate Blood Gulch, every remake of Blood Gulch, and every map inspired by Blood Gulch. I don't think there's a single BTB map I like. There's some I tolerate, but I don't like any of them.

I hate how many vehicles there are. Flag on Ragnarok is so annoying.

Problems with Ragnarok

• Valhalla was never designed to play with DMRs and Lightrifles, much less without descope.

• The Banshee is sh*t.

• The Mantis is purely there to satisfy campers and spawn killers--it even has a crouch button.

• Loadout stickies and p-shooters make piloting a Warthog suicide.

- - -

Solutions

• Change the game type to a Classic/Infinity hybrid: BR/AR with 2x Frags and Resupply with AA options of Thruster Pack, Hardlight Shield, and Hologram; Personal Ordnance options: DMR/P-shooter/2xPlasmas; Radar-on

• Vehicle set: Team chaingun Warthogs, team Wraiths, neutral Rocket Hog, team Ghosts.

• World Ordnance: Neutral Rockets, team Snipers, neutral Railgun, neutral SAW.

- - -

BTB is supposed to have lots of vehicles, but it's broken by custom loadouts and bad vehicle setups. Static loadouts with no plasmas/p-shooters would make the vehicles overpowered, but including them in person ordnance is a big win. Put Ragnarok (or any large map--Meltdown, Exile, Longbow) on these settings and it will shine. Arena Halo isn't the only thing that requires balance and testing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sanctuary with the theme of Monolith

Lockout with the look of Haven

Coagulation with Isolation's gradual Flood effect

tumblr_m52dxanykn1r3nkzc.gif
Haha, I thought you would like that one.

But seriously tho. O_O

By the way, you are the KING of .gif responses.

Haha, I thought you would like that one.

But seriously tho. O_O

By the way, you are the KING of .gif responses.

tumblr_m52ee36qr71r3nkzc.gif

and yes they are all of David Tennant.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Problems with Ragnarok

• Valhalla was never designed to play with DMRs and Lightrifles, much less without descope.

• The Banshee is sh*t.

• The Mantis is purely there to satisfy campers and spawn killers--it even has a crouch button.

• Loadout stickies and p-shooters make piloting a Warthog suicide.

- - -

Solutions

• Change the game type to a Classic/Infinity hybrid: BR/AR with 2x Frags and Resupply with AA options of Thruster Pack, Hardlight Shield, and Hologram; Personal Ordnance options: DMR/P-shooter/2xPlasmas; Radar-on

• Vehicle set: Team chaingun Warthogs, team Wraiths, neutral Rocket Hog, team Ghosts.

• World Ordnance: Neutral Rockets, team Snipers, neutral Railgun, neutral SAW.

- - -

BTB is supposed to have lots of vehicles, but it's broken by custom loadouts and bad vehicle setups. Static loadouts with no plasmas/p-shooters would make the vehicles overpowered, but including them in person ordnance is a big win. Put Ragnarok (or any large map--Meltdown, Exile, Longbow) on these settings and it will shine. Arena Halo isn't the only thing that requires balance and testing.

Personally I just want each team to have two standard warthogs, a ghost, two mong(eese)(ooses), and a Banshee. I wish they added a structure on the Wall side of Ragnorak and put the Mantis in there.

BR/AR Starts, 2x Frags, Rockets on 3 minute ordnance near turret, Splaser on 3 minute timer top center, Snipers on 2 min timers and Sticky Det on 1:30 timer below/behind Pelican.

Sticky Nade Ordnances on the right side cave of each teams base, and Pulse nades above each base.

Voila, the perfect Valhalla

I really enjoyed Assembly in H3.

I think with the right spawns, weapon placements, and gametypes Powerhouse and Reflection would have been good competitive maps in Reach.

I very much enjoyed Nexus in Reach.

Every single Halo 4 map is horrendous, some are just less horrendous than others. I honestly think Halo 4 has no good maps with Haven being slightly below average at best.

Midship was the best map of Halo 2.

Guardian ball was the best gametype in Halo 3

Onslaught was the worst map hands down.

Citadel was way underrated.

Sanctuary was the worst thing to happen to Halo:Reach (Without sprint it was slightly better, but still shit)

Oasis was just as shitty. 

Zealot Bomb was the best gametype in Halo:Reach

Halo 4 is just....................................................................................................................................................................................Awful....

I can't say anything good about almost any of these maps, they all seem so unbalanced with all this sprint and no descoping shit. 

Halo 5 

This game to be everything Halo 4 should have been except with hopefully good maps.

Just my .02 

- Isolation was a fabulous map, very good 4v4 slayer map. 
- Default Foundry setup was really fun for SWAT,
- Lockout is mediocre and to be honest I think the only reason it gets all the hype is because it was in Halo 2.
- I personally loved playing snipers on Hemorrhage back in Reach, I could stay in the center of the map all game.
- High Ground is my favorite FFA map.
- Standoff heavy is probably my favorite gametype
- Avalanche is better than Sidewinder. 
- H1 chiron tl-34 FFA Rockets is da best

- Turf snords is the most intense game you will ever play. 
- Guardian Ball was my fav H3 MLG map/Gametype
- I despise every disk map for Halo 4, and just about every DLC (probably not unpopular but still)
- Valhalla > Ragnarok 
- I liked Blackout more than Lockout
- Boardwalk in reach was actually fun to play (with the proper settings). 
- Rat's nest is the easiest map to get flag kills on (stand on the door frames). 

Edit: Am very sad to see 343i remake The Pit in Halo 4. Such a good map should not be put in such a shit game. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Lockout is horrible (especially now without descope).

343 should not do remakes.

Halo 4 launch maps are my favourites of the series.  The DLCs are terrible.

Symm > asymm.

I don't think I've seen a thread like this, so just for fun I was wondering what everyone thinks their unpopular opinions regarding maps throughout Halo history are.

Three of mine to start:

1) I like Guardian more than Lockout but think that the weapon & powerup layout could be better on both.

2) I think that Blood Gulch and all its spawn are hugely overrated BTB maps. Headlong for life!

3) Nexus was the best map in Reach MLG.

Agree with 1 & 2. I however liked Battle Canyon

But unfortunately 2 flag Abandoned is in the ctf playlist...

What I don't understand about this is, they have 2 flag abandon.. but not 2 flag Haven, which might actually play decent compared to abandon..

1) I don't find Midship that great

2) Citadel was actually good

3) Reach ZBNS Powerhouse Hill and Slayer while in MLG testing were fun

4) Countdown Hill was good

5) Every map in H4 TTD is crap with the exception of Abandon

Also colossus was GOAT.  that map would work so well for games with long range utilities (Reach and H4 DMR for ex.) 

I have never heard my opinion voiced by another person:

I think it absolutely sucks that there are maps that are *almost* symmetrical but then the developers fucked them up in some slight way.  I mean, if you are going to go for asymmetrical, than *make a good asymmetrical map* like guardian, abandon, lockout, etc.

Examples:

Haven- the structures above the crack over the walls on red and blue street are slightly different.  Thats why the pressure jump only works on red (i believe).  Also, those pillars in top mid?  Yeah, they fuck up the symmetricality.  I recognize that it's likely only effected 1 out of 10,000 game outcomes, but it just fucking bugs me that 343 was *so* damn close to keeping it symmetrical.

Solace- was almost symmetrical, but 343 decided to fuck with the bases on both extreme ends. I have no idea why they didn't think that maybe it was a bad idea.

Construct- so damn close to being symetrical but they made one side open and one side closed.  Like I'm saying, if you only go halfway asymmetrical than it's worse than if you just made the map symmetrical.

Pitfall- from the videos it appeared as if there were slight sand displacements on both sides.  once again- this won't actually meaningfully effect the vast, vast majority of games, it just kinda irks me.