Sign in to follow this  
menotyou135

I've had time to think

Didn't think people would be so butthurt off the truth. The lack of Halo as a competitive game worldwide, does not help the growth of the scene, which is already restricted enough. Even though the UK and some of Europe has a scene, as well as Australia, it's so small and can't even compete on a level with the US consistently that it's sorta irrelevant. The competitive community is small, the games community has shrunk. The OP does show that a lot of us still do love Halo, but that does not change a lot of things that have hurt Halo from growing over time, just like a lot of other games. International Competition, MLG Monopoly and it's after-effect, Bungie/343 multiple mechanic Halo Changes, Esports Feature/Spectator Mode, etc etc have hurt Halo. We can still love it, and we do need to stick it out, but some things need to be addressed before we just spearhead into resurging competitive Halo. Sheeesh!

I agree with you a lot more than I disagree with you, I must say.  :)

I must also say that I definitely agree with you on the statement you made about how players won't 'budge', and that a huge amount of people in this community have very large egos, for no reason I must also say. 

I like to think of myself as one of the very few people who do not bash other people's ideas on here and am open to things. Or one of the very few people who don't let other people influence my two cents, even if others have been bashed for it, just because I might be 'neg-repped' which is stupid. A lot of people on here neg-rep people because of their opinion. But hey, nothing you can do about it. Even if I don't like somebody's ideas I wont neg-rep them, I'll just simply say I disagree with you, or I'll just ignore the post, either one works haha. I don't like being an ass-hat like a lot of other players and make people look/feel stupid, that's just not the way anyone should be IMO, but sadly that's the way people in this community are.

I'm glad I read this entire post, usually I don't read posts of longevity, but I am glad I read this one.  :)

Didn't think people would be so butthurt off the truth. The lack of Halo as a competitive game worldwide, does not help the growth of the scene, which is already restricted enough. Even though the UK and some of Europe has a scene, as well as Australia, it's so small and can't even compete on a level with the US consistently that it's sorta irrelevant. The competitive community is small, the games community has shrunk. The OP does show that a lot of us still do love Halo, but that does not change a lot of things that have hurt Halo from growing over time, just like a lot of other games. International Competition, MLG Monopoly and it's after-effect, Bungie/343 multiple mechanic Halo Changes, Esports Feature/Spectator Mode, etc etc have hurt Halo. We can still love it, and we do need to stick it out, but some things need to be addressed before we just spearhead into resurging competitive Halo. Sheeesh!

New Zealand just had a Halo 4 LAN last weekend that attracted 13 teams. That's better than America in terms of proportion. =D

• Upvote (+1) 2

When you have 4 primary weapons, nostalgia, and divisive mechanics on those weapons (BR spread, DMR bloom, shallow clips and long reload times for the Carbine, and a ridiculously long kill time for the LR out of scope).

You not only set the stage for division with having four weapons, but you give all people arguing for a certain weapon TONS of ammo to argue with. Was the competitive community really divided? Of course, but this blame shouldn't fall on us as a whole, but 343 for not giving us a weapon we could all get behind, and giving each weapon beneficial and crippling characteristics. Simply put, we were doomed to have divisive, and extensive arguing.

I disagree that competitive Halo will never return because it already has, NS gt's are fun and competitive, I'll leave it at that.

You can say that you want the casual and competitive communities to be more united, but your "universal" opinions that you think all halo players can agree on, they don't.

We all want Halo to be more like it was in the past

We all want a game that takes skill

We want a game that involves power weapon/up control

We want a game with fast paced maps

We all want a starting weapon that promotes fast paced gameplay

We all want a utility weapon that is good in all situations, but it outclassed in certain niches

We want a game that is not full of random bullshit

Those are not things that competitive players and casual players agree on.

Your goal is to have community that is united, and can call out bullshit when it sees it without divisive arguing delaying what we think as progress. But the truth is, we as a community have almost nothing that we universally agree on, so telling competitive players that they should lower their standards so that there opinions can fall more in line with casuals is pointless, and will just leave us with worse competitive game, and more competitive veterans calling it quits.

As a competitive community we should do what we've always done, make our settings as competitive as possible because they are OUR settings. 

We are not developers, we don't control the future of Halo by any means, and we need to recognize that. Our settings shouldn't be inclusive at all, and should focus entirely on our settings competitive merit. I don't care what the casuals think, I want real Halo, and I want all the competitive players that have left because they hate playing our current settings to return because they're having fun again.

Unity will get us nowhere, we are fragment of the community and we need to understand that. Lets treat ourselves like the fragment of the community we really are, and stop worrying about everyone else.

New Zealand just had a Halo 4 LAN last weekend that attracted 13 teams. That's better than America in terms of proportion. =D

You are all misinterpreting what I am saying. Until there is a united, unified competitive scene that is thriving, or at least noticeably connected to other regions, than there is no point in announcing or telling me there was an unnoticed LAN with unnoticeable teams. We should have more announcements, and more updates on those regions, and let them know about THIS forum. That helps connecting players around the world, getting competitive voices from around the world together will help us further implement change and dictate th series. We can't stay segmented.

As for the skill/level of the other regions, that can be improved over time, but that only improves with the leveling up of the competition itself. That means regions need to get better and have better people to play against, which right now is hard with online and lack of LANs that would bring those teams together. Right now the Gamescom initiative as apart of the FFA tournament, is a start, but it can't end there.

I'm not saying they CAN NOT be relevant, but as of right now, that's something that SHOULD be addressed. Over at THC, we had XioB as someone from Europe who allowed us to be more connected with the EU scene, and posted about tournaments in other regions of the world, outside of just EGL. Just throwing it out there.  

Having those regions THRIVE and KEEP UP with the NA region is KEY to improving Halo, and growing the competitive circuit. All top eSports games have STRONG international scenes.

I agree with everything you said. Halo is never going to be revived. Especially when its the next console generation and all my previous Halo buddies didn't even buy Halo 4, nor are they going to go with the Xbox One. They've all moved on to new series and franchises. 

I happened to give Halo 4 a chance, and now I think its time to move on as well. Ever since Halo 2, I've been playing to somehow capture the nostalgia and the 'feels' of those years and it isn't going to happen. I'm not going to choose Halo over friends when it comes to choosing a console. 

Its an interesting read, but I won't surrender to mediocrity. I'm not going to lower my expectations just so I can lure myself into a false sense of enjoyment. If your child draws on the wall would you not point out that that kind of behavior is wrong and then ask him to keep the drawings in his coloring book? (aka improve behavior) or would you rather submit to your walls being scribbled upon? (give in to what was once seen as inappropriate behavior) I agree with the blatant disregard most of us have on each others views and the mass of those who don't even try to understand others points of views but lets not forget that we are all entitled to our own opinions none the less. 

All in all I do agree with you mostly that the community is just a giant mosh pit of opinions mostly filled with those unwilling to understand other points of view. But I can't condone folding to mediocrity for the sake of false enjoyment and a community in submission. This idealism of "things are changing (degradating) deal with it" makes me sad, its as if we are doomed to revert back to homo habilis. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

I agree with everything you said. Halo is never going to be revived. Especially when its the next console generation and all my previous Halo buddies didn't even buy Halo 4, nor are they going to go with the Xbox One. They've all moved on to new series and franchises. 

I happened to give Halo 4 a chance, and now I think its time to move on as well. Ever since Halo 2, I've been playing to somehow capture the nostalgia and the 'feels' of those years and it isn't going to happen. I'm not going to choose Halo over friends when it comes to choosing a console. 

halo isn't dead yet and considering the ways things have been going in the last couple of months it does look hopeful, I would love to tell you to give it another chance but I will never ask of you what I am unwilling to do myself, in hindsight we (the halo community) should have given up on halo years ago but better late than never I guess.

I can tell you have good friends :)

Its an interesting read, but I won't surrender to mediocrity. I'm not going to lower my expectations just so I can lure myself into a false sense of enjoyment. If your child draws on the wall would you not point out that that kind of behavior is wrong and then ask him to keep the drawings in his coloring book? (aka improve behavior) or would you rather submit to your walls being scribbled upon? (give in to what was once seen as inappropriate behavior) I agree with the blatant disregard most of us have on each others views and the mass of those who don't even try to understand others points of views but lets not forget that we are all entitled to our own opinions none the less. 

All in all I do agree with you mostly that the community is just a giant mosh pit of opinions mostly filled with those unwilling to understand other points of view. But I can't condone folding to mediocrity for the sake of false enjoyment and a community in submission. This idealism of "things are changing (degradating) deal with it" makes me sad, its as if we are doomed to revert back to homo habilis. 

I don't think that was his point, iirc (forgot most of it and too lazy to read again lol) what I think he was saying we should look at halo more realistically from now on, it wasn't about "lowering your expectations" moreover its about trying to survive.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The problem is that even if this were to happen, Halo would still be dead. It would be dead for several reasons: 

-MLG will never pick it back up and AGL doesn't have the same namesake to bring the Halo crowd back to H2/H3 levels

-Everybody in the competitive community hates each other now

-People don't trust the Halo title anymore

-Many people don't trust Xbox anymore

-Egos are huge in every facet of the Halo scene

-The only people left are the ones who enjoy Halo Reach/4 style gameplay

-343i doesn't recognize the problems of their game to the level needed to fix it (there is really only Bravo)

There is no such thing as power or influence in this community unless you placed well at an event or you are the friend of someone who did

A couple of things here I'd like to pick up on - 

Firstly, I think you are pretty much right in what you say about Halo "still being dead" even if the next game is good. I feel like Halo has fallen to far now. If the next game is anything like Halo 4, then we will see more downward population spirals and Halo will just slowly peter out, like it's already doing. On the other hand, if the next Halo is actually on a par with the the original trilogy, I still don't think it would be as successful (In terms of popularity) as it once was, as so many people have dropped Halo and moved on now.

As far as the community goes, you've hit the nail on the head. So many people have huge ego's because they placed top 64 once or some shit like that, and the amount of d-riding of anyone that is even remotely well known is quite frankly despicable, leading to you last point that I bolded.

We should be posting this on the Halo Xbox One forum on Waypoint, not here.  The competitive community is currently way too reclusive to be heard, let alone considered, by 343i.  Everyone reading this should be making a thread over there voicing their concerns about H5 instead of crying to ourselves on Beyond, as much as I agree with all the posts in here.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Silenced SMGs for Halo 5's starting weapon #LetsMakeItHappen :kappa:

Hey, as long as it has descope and no bloom.

I don't think you didn't read the post lol

@OP: I agree. A community that craps on its own game, own players, own developer, own community leaders, is a community that is toxic and will ruin itself eventually. Just remember that one rotten apple spoils the bunch

Halo has been ruined though.. its already happened.

And to respond to the person who made this thread, this has been a circular movement for years.  bash bash bash - then someone starts a thread that says, "No matter what guys, we are all Halo fans, we need to be supportive of [insert whoever is the relevant name of the time and or company]"

Then everyone throws the dude some positive rep, and we all go back to being disappointed.

Over 400-500K were playing H4 on release day / the competitive scene is maybe 2-3k in size?

Who do we think 343 cares about pleasing?

sad but true

Halo from a viewer standpoint isn't to far from Halo 2 numbers. Its honestly half of Halo 3 numbers. Problem is were all older and can't go home from school and play Halo all day anymore.

So I disagree with Halo being dead and continuing to be dead. The player base needs to be refreshed and its needed that since Reach.

As for as what you said about the community being toxic I agree but I've been preaching that since Halo being dropped from MLG.

I think the Global Championship will give us an idea of what Halo can be for the simple fact everyone that plays/watches it is competitive at heart.

Game play wise I disagree with some of ghost decisions however I do feel like he has the communities best interest in mind.