daisyman

What's really wrong with Halo???

The 343 designers who "hate" Halo and love CoD need to fuck off, Halo needs a game made by super-fans and Halo nerds. Not people just looking for a pay-check that could care less about improving Halo or its community. No true Halo MP fan would EVER make Halo 4, the game is the complete opposite of what a Halo MP game should be.

I have a theory that most of the people at 343i love Halo, but they would have lost their jobs if they hadn't mutilated it, for lack of a better term, into something that would attract sales.

Which do you think would be more important: Making the game that loyal fans want, or supporting a family?

Come on a community site and post "I'd say the community is what's really wrong with Halo." and then complain when people neg rep you.

Flawless logic.

I have yet to be proven false. Quite the contrary, in fact.

I have yet to be proven false. Quite the contrary, in fact.

If you base your opinion on a game by its community you're going to run into issues.

By that standard LoL, Dota2, and COD all bad games because of their communities. Yet they've got incredible followings.

Halo is in a sad state right now. The community has imploded and we're unsure of the future. The franchise for most people rests on the next game and in typical AAA video game development the community has absolutely no fucking clue what's going on. 

I'd rather spend my playing H3 and V7 if I could find matches. 

If you base your opinion on a game by its community you're going to run into issues.

If I did, I would not be playing Halo games ever again.

I find all of the Halo games fun, but sometimes the community really hampers the experience. Like i said before, I had no idea Reach and H4 were despised so much until I started interacting with other fans on forums.

I have a theory that most of the people at 343i love Halo, but they would have lost their jobs if they hadn't mutilated it, for lack of a better term, into something that would attract sales.

Which do you think would be more important: Making the game that loyal fans want, or supporting a family?

Do you get the sense that people like Kevin Franklin are huge comp Halo MP fans? He said his favorite game-type is SWAT and he knew very little about the depths of Halo CE MP when Gandhi tried to explain it to him, this guy is the LEAD of the MP and he is not experienced with it. I am just saying people like that are NOT going to deliver a great MP because they have not experienced it nor do they know the community in depth or care about keeping Halo a quality game(aka not H4).

I dont feel bad about telling some 343 designers who reportedly "Hate" Halo and were established specifically to build Halo games to screw off if they signed onto the team not being fans of the game and then building a MP experience as disrespectful and foreign as H4 was at the beginning. They are clearly talented individuals and can get jobs elsewhere on games they dont "hate".

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not everyone lands a job in game development because they're "hardcore gamers."

There are many story writers out there who simply dont play games, for example.

Not everyone lands a job in game development because they're "hardcore gamers."

There are many story writers out there who simply dont play games, for example.

I know that, but a MP designer's job is also to know their job material and that is Halo MP design in this case which 343 completely philosophically shit on with Halo 4, it breaks so many rules its hard to count them all.

Lets take for example John Howard one of the designers on H1 MP, this guy was a hardcore FPS gamer and created a MP experience that reflected that, we see that later with Shadowrun as well. Kevin Franklin has little experience with comp Halo MP(hes a noob) and has a track record of creating FPS games that are very different from Halo, it is no surprise to me he makes Spartan Warfare. We need another John Howard or Jason Jones not someone who is not dedicated to the Sandbox-Arena style of the MP.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Doesn't explain customization options being removed. Those could all have been kept and allowed players to easily setup gametypes they like.

If I did, I would not be playing Halo games ever again.

I find all of the Halo games fun, but sometimes the community really hampers the experience. Like i said before, I had no idea Reach and H4 were despised so much until I started interacting with other fans on forums.

Then maybe you should get off the forums and go enjoy it again.

Edit: I don't want a permaban

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know that, but a MP designer's job is also to know their job material and that is Halo MP design in this case which 343 completely philosophically shit on with Halo 4, it breaks so many rules its hard to count them all.

Lets take for example John Howard one of the designers on H1 MP, this guy was a hardcore FPS gamer and created a MP experience that reflected that, we see that later with Shadowrun as well. Kevin Franklin has little experience with comp Halo MP(hes a noob) and has a track record of creating FPS games that are very different from Halo, it is no surprise to me he makes Spartan Warfare. We need another John Howard or Jason Jones not someone who is not dedicated to the Sandbox-Arena style of the MP.

Wait... are we sure Kevin Franklin is designing the multiplayer for Halo 5? At this point, when the entire competitive community seems to hate him, 343 should be smart and move him into another role, like Spartan Ops/Firefight.

Doesn't explain customization options being removed. Those could all have been kept and allowed players to easily setup gametypes they like.

True, but time restrictions do explain those shortcomings. A lot of the time spent on Halo 4 was updating the engine and graphics; there are some clues that Halo 4 was designed for Xbox One, but now that the core game is established, they can worry about adding all of those options.

I want so many options that it will make me throw up, preferably not on the $500 *console* sitting in front of me, though. Custom powerups, too.

Edit: Notice the disappointing degree of custom options in the game types that shipped with the game, and then consider that Ricochet, which 343 have been given seven or eight months to develop, has tons of new options.

Wait... are we sure Kevin Franklin is designing the multiplayer for Halo 5? At this point, when the entire competitive community seems to hate him, 343 should be smart and move him into another role, like Spartan Ops/Firefight.

I think it's safe to say that SpOps isn't coming back, which is good; though I liked the story, the underwhelming game play and lack of depth made it a rather boring experience. I would be just as happy if they had Firefight (for when my Internet is down) as well as a weekly episode/cutscene. Dat CGI tho.

Somewhere I remember reading/hearing about a job opening at 343; the main requirement was experience in past Halo games *multiplayer. There was also another job opening for a map designer (obviously since Kynan Pearson left); the main requirement was experience in other Halo games' Forge. It gives me hope, but not enough that it will be crushed.