daisyman

What's really wrong with Halo???

Those things are not staples of modern shooters, they are staples of modern military shooters. Last time I checked Halo was a Sci-fi Arena-style Sandbox shooter not a MMS. Halo intentionally changed its formula from a Sandbox-Arena shooter to a custom load-out based shooter with PW kill-streaks, perks, default sprint, flinch, weapon unlocks, points, insta-respawn,ect.. the game was Cod-ifed.

Just because it does not have the same core game does not mean H4 did not directly emulate CoD. Its disgusting to veteran fans of the series and the population of 30k tops daily reflects that discontent with the direction of the series.

Technically, Halo is a Sci-Fi military shooter. Cuz, ya know, UNSC and all that.

BTW Halo has always had "kill-streaks." Killing Spree, Running Riot, etc. Only Infinity Slayer (a single gametype out of the numerous ones we have) has the kill-reward system.

You say veteran fans are "disgusted" (lol) by Halo's direction, and yet 343i have done a good job of trying to give people the experience they want so badly.

"BUT SPRINT IS STILL IN THE GAME!"

You know what you could do? Get together a lobby of like minded players and boot up one of those modded gametypes that disable sprint. There, problem solved right?

Otherwise, I think it's time people got used to the idea that sprint and AAs are probably here to stay.

• Downvote (-1) 8

You say veteran fans are "disgusted" (lol) by Halo's direction, and yet 343i have done a good job of trying to give people the experience they want so badly.

How so?

Technically, Halo is a Sci-Fi military shooter. Cuz, ya know, UNSC and all that.

BTW Halo has always had "kill-streaks." Killing Spree, Running Riot, etc. Only Infinity Slayer (a single gametype out of the numerous ones we have) has the kill-reward system.

You know what you could do? Get together a lobby of like minded players and boot up one of those modded gametypes that disable sprint. There, problem solved right?

Otherwise, I think it's time people got used to the idea that sprint and AAs are probably here to stay.

...Nah, I'd rather give constructive critisism and help the game get better than be shut up.

And we mostly want it out of Throwdown, we could care less about (lol)Infinity Slayer.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lets be honest do you really have as much fun playing as you did when you where lets say 15?

No because Halo 4 sucks.. I have fun playing H3 and MLG on Halo:Reach, today. Age is irrelevant. 

What's REALLY wrong with Halo? Like there's not an obvious reason? It's pretty obvious, the shit that's being implemented into an Arena shooter doesn't work and it's ruining the experience. 

How so?

Oh I dunno, just about everything since launch?

...Nah, I'd rather give constructive critisism and help the game get better than be shut up.

And we mostly want it out of Throwdown, we could care less about (lol)Infinity Slayer.

I never said you shouldnt give constructive criticism. If people want to see change, they need to bring it to the company's attention in a well-thought out and polite manner.

But lets be honest; most people dont.

I think you (the collective you) do care about Infinity slayer, or you would not be complaining about ordnance so much.

• Downvote (-1) 4

You're trollin eh?

• Upvote (+1) 1

They got rid of dual-wielding (thank Christ), huge bloom, Sentinel Beam/FR, incendiaries, armour lock, Elites and a bunch of other terrible things considered important to Halo.  It's not hard to imagine sprint and AAs being turned into equipment.

I'll attempt to explain why sprint is bad.  It makes maps larger, obviously.  Players are encouraged to have DMR battles at such a long range that strafing and whatnot becomes useless.  You can also just sprint away from grenades as soon as the alert (ugh) pops up onscreen.  It also means movement is easier, and so strategic team positioning becomes fluid and breaks down.  I'm sure someone else can make some better arguments than just these.

I am talking MP wise Halo was always unique in being the only Arena-Sandbox shooter on consoles really outside of like GoW but that is TPS. Halo had its own style of play that worked, even HR despite having AA's and bloom was still Arena-like in some play-lists emphasizing movement, Multi-leveled maps, aim, weapon control, even playing field, and Human-Alien Niched weapons.

- Kill-streaks= Killing sprees and double kill medals? Think about that for a minute, killing sprees are purely cosmetic, kill-streaks reward you for doing good in unbalanced ways. Infinity slayer REPLACED traditional Halo TS the main fkn game-type of the series, Halo TS and BTB TS were the most popular game modes in the series. The main game-type in the series was turned into Spartan Warfare TS.

- No they haven't, they replaced EVERY traditional Halo game mode with their own stupid gimmicky CoD version. Even CTF was made more like CoD's CTF, Oddball was turned into NFL Blitz, KoTH was randomized, Assault, neutral bomb and 1-flag GONE, Territories replaced with lol Dominion. EVERY GAME MODE WAS CHANGED.

-You know what you could do, stop trying to tell me what to do. I have played NS game-types but they are not official yet or in any MM play-lists.

- The majority of people have not accepted sprint and AA's are now part of Halo, THATS WHY REACH TANKED AFTER RELEASE AND H4 HAS BOMBED THE MP POPULATION TO NEW LOWS.

What specifically?

Updated weapons, arena-style forge maps, throwdown, legendary slayer, multi-team, doubles, action sack (which admittedly sucked at first), grifball, ya know, stuff like that.

They got rid of dual-wielding (thank Christ), huge bloom, Sentinel Beam/FR, incendiaries, armour lock, Elites and a bunch of other terrible things considered important to Halo.  It's not hard to imagine sprint and AAs being turned into equipment.

I'll attempt to explain why sprint is bad.  It makes maps larger, obviously.  Players are encourage to have DMR battles at such long range that strafing and whatnot become useless.  You can also just sprint away from grenades as soon as the alert (ugh) pops up onscreen.  It also means movement is easier, and so strategic team positioning becomes fluid and breaks down.  I'm sure someone else can make some better arguments than just these.

i miss dual-wielding and the various grenades. Those were fun.

Not sure about the elite thing. Most people I've seen WANTED elites back in MP.

And again, I'm not saying sprint is/isnt bad. Just that i dont think it's going anywhere anytime soon.

A toggle-option, or no-sprint playlists would be ideal.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Too many quotes to bother replying to. Oh, and a -1 rep. for having an opinion.

Ugh.

TIL a Commander Grade 3 knows what "real Halo" is. You aren't good at the game, therefore your opinion on what makes the game good is invalid, since you don't know enough about the game to be any good at it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Dude.....just stop.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have to ask the question: can sprint/AAs/descope/whatever be competitive?

The only way sprint won't break the game is if once a sprinting player is damaged, they immediately stop sprinting and are subject to cooldown. Faster, more powerful metagame would help too. Otherwise forget it.

AAs and no-descope are not good for competitive play and never will be, under any circumstances imaginable.

(cue the 'omfg st0p bein s0 nar0w-mind3d!!1' bullshit)

Honestly this has been regurgitated over and over again. But to try and put it simply, what's really wrong with Halo is that it isn't Halo anymore.

I mean sure, the updated settings are nice. Even v7 Reach was reminiscent of old Halos. But, the last two out of the box games have been a shell of what we know Halo to be.

Bungie gave us a crap game and 343 did their best to improve it, but then gave us another bad game. They thought adding new stuff would make it fun and exciting and who doesn't love sprint, right? Nope.

If people wanted Call of Duty, they would play Call of Duty. Halo has always been different and innovative, and instead of working on perfecting the original ideas Halo had, we took ideas from other popular games. Ordances, sprint, etc.

And there is no debating what's best for Halo. Simply take a look at the population, and I'm sure all us had friends in real life who played H2/3 casually. Well those guys don't like Reach or 4 now. Casuals will play regardless, so what Halo needs to be successful is to stay true to itself.

That means no sprint, no random gimmicks that give advantages to one player or another and please fix descoping. After that, we could improve on things like spectator mode and the old theater. Only then will Halo be on the right track.

I appreciate what 343 is doing helping the competitive community out, but if they truly want to save this franchise they should listen to the people who have played every year and been loyal to the game.

TL;DR  Don't copy other games, stay true to Halo at it's core.

AAs and no-descope are not good for competitive play and never will be, under any circumstances imaginable.

(cue the 'omfg st0p bein s0 nar0w-mind3d!!1' bullshit)

may seem offtopic but this guy clearly aimed this post at me. ok just to prove u r close-minded as f, what about a descope powerup?

On-topic halo failed because it isnt fun to the majority of people (the ratio of likers to haters on a gamewide basis is like ghisdorah : every other person in ths thread, including myself). H4 didnt fail only because its skill gap is low, its because it appeals to neither casual halo fans, competitive halo fans, or cod fans. I dont wanna go too deep into this coz ill be typing for hours.

may seem offtopic but this guy clearly aimed this post at me. ok just to prove u r close-minded as f, what about a descope powerup?

Sounds like a really bad idea for a powerup.

I personally hate how the screen looks so misty and dissatisfying to look at. They say the graphics are amazing but the screen just looks so plain yucky to me. And I know people say this all the time but the medals just make it even worse. I don't ever feel hyped up if I get like an overkill or something. And they're all hard to read because the screen looks like its glazed over in smoke. And from a viewer perspective like on Twitch or Youtube its even worse. 

Im not saying this is the main problem really; however, I think its notably underrated in regards to improving stream numbers and so forth

• Upvote (+1) 1

The only thing wrong with Halo is the idea that if they make it more like CoD more people will play it and buy it. Halo 4 is a clear example of why that is a false ideal. They spent too much time on making the game cool rather than making it fun.

The only thing wrong with Halo is the idea that if they make it more like CoD more people will play it and buy it. Halo 4 is a clear example of why that is a false ideal. They spent too much time on making the game cool rather than making it fun.

The 343 designers who "hate" Halo and love CoD need to fuck off, Halo needs a game made by super-fans and Halo nerds. Not people just looking for a pay-check that could care less about improving Halo or its community. No true Halo MP fan would EVER make Halo 4, the game is the complete opposite of what a Halo MP game should be.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Please tell me you're arent serious.

I mean, sure, it adopts/copies/steals/whatever certain elements from modern FPS games (things like sprint, loadouts, and classes arent COD exclusive btw). But they are almost completely different games with completely different mechanics and rules that also look and sound completely different.

almost every single FPS game out there has copied halo at some point or another, it should have been expected to a degree.

Updated weapons, arena-style forge maps, throwdown, legendary slayer, multi-team, doubles, action sack (which admittedly sucked at first), grifball, ya know, stuff like that.

i miss dual-wielding and the various grenades. Those were fun.

Not sure about the elite thing. Most people I've seen WANTED elites back in MP.

And again, I'm not saying sprint is/isnt bad. Just that i dont think it's going anywhere anytime soon.

A toggle-option, or no-sprint playlists would be ideal.

dual-wielding wasn't done well, flame/spike grenades were just reskinned sticky's, elites are skins and nothing more.

sprint has no real purpose in halo, if it stays then it'll just be a detriment and if it goes it will be surely missed (sarcasm).

Honestly this has been regurgitated over and over again. But to try and put it simply, what's really wrong with Halo is that it isn't Halo anymore.

I mean sure, the updated settings are nice. Even v7 Reach was reminiscent of old Halos. But, the last two out of the box games have been a shell of what we know Halo to be.

Bungie gave us a crap game and 343 did their best to improve it, but then gave us another bad game. They thought adding new stuff would make it fun and exciting and who doesn't love sprint, right? Nope.

If people wanted Call of Duty, they would play Call of Duty. Halo has always been different and innovative, and instead of working on perfecting the original ideas Halo had, we took ideas from other popular games. Ordances, sprint, etc.

And there is no debating what's best for Halo. Simply take a look at the population, and I'm sure all us had friends in real life who played H2/3 casually. Well those guys don't like Reach or 4 now. Casuals will play regardless, so what Halo needs to be successful is to stay true to itself.

That means no sprint, no random gimmicks that give advantages to one player or another and please fix descoping. After that, we could improve on things like spectator mode and the old theater. Only then will Halo be on the right track.

I appreciate what 343 is doing helping the competitive community out, but if they truly want to save this franchise they should listen to the people who have played every year and been loyal to the game.

TL;DR  Don't copy other games, stay true to Halo at it's core.

so your saying that they should make halo games for halo fans? crazy talk.

TIL a Commander Grade 3 knows what "real Halo" is. You aren't good at the game, therefore your opinion on what makes the game good is invalid, since you don't know enough about the game to be any good at it. 

...really? REALLY?

I thought Halo fans had matured past the whole "YOUR RANK ISNT AS HIGH AS MINE SO YOUR OPINION DOESNT MATTER" bullshit. Do we seriously still live in an age where your virtual rank in a video game is what allows your opinion to be deemed valid?" Tell me my opinion sucks, tell me I'm in the minority, tell me I dont know what I'm talking about. But telling me my opinion is invalid because of my rank in a game from 2007? That's just plain stupid.

Even dumber that you dont bother with my ranks or K/D in Reach and H4. Nope, just target the lowest one in H3. God forbid the concept of "improving over time" crosses your mind, just cling on to a low rank from an old game that I dont play anymore as justification for devaluing whatever I say. Classy.

I guess you could say that right there is ANOTHER thing that's wrong with Halo; players who are discriminated against because of rank, of all things.

(side note: damn, -37? You guys must really hate me lol)

The underlying problem with Halo is that the game play hasn't improved significanty from the original game. In fact, it has devolved. I will be the first to say that over all, Halo: Reach is the best game, mainly because of its potential for many parts of the community.

Solution: Improve Halo.

Really? I would say they've done a bad job of giving people the experience they want so badly, because giving them features that they want (default sprint, jetpack, loadouts) can tarnish a pure experience.

damn, -37? You guys must really hate me lol

Come on a community site and post "I'd say the community is what's really wrong with Halo." and then complain when people neg rep you.

Flawless logic.