daisyman

What's really wrong with Halo???

We all love halo right?So why do we looking at halos numbers and say what's wrong?Obviously we've seen improvement on our streams as of the last few months,but why have we all looked at our friends list and see the people we played with for years disappear.I think it's bigger then just(halo 4 sucks).I agree halo 4 for the first few months was painful to play(Im not going to get into all those things).I truly believe the number one thing halo struggles with is the age of the players.Im 22 and I've been playing since I was 13.But I haven't been into competitive halo till mid reach.Having join the scene late I've see a lot of people going to collage and pretty much just moving on with there lives.Its been discouraging when about 80% of my friends list is full of people who haven't played in months.Lets face it cod is where all the teens are these days.All the people I play with are my age or older.Im not saying this is the only problem with the scene,but it just seens like everyone wants to blame this or blame that.Too me it's just seems like most people overlook this issue.Frankly it's a tuff pill to swallow,but I just think halo simple isn't the shinny thing on the block anymore.I still love and enjoy halo and I'm not going to stop play or watching Gandhis thoughts or the AGLs.Its just something to think about.<3

• Upvote (+1) 2

I don't think the age really matters, I mean when halo 4 was first released we had 400-500K playing the game daily, people just didn't like the direction the game was heading and as you said the game upon release was dreadful, maybe the population would be a bit higher now if halo 4 was released with the settings we have now. I'm not going to go into what halo needs as it's been said millions of times.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Its hard to say whether I'm getting too old and tired of it, or whether Halo has changed too much that I don't like it.

Either way, I am not enjoying Halo and I will not be purchasing an Xbox One or Halo 5 if I see any resemblance of Halo Reach or Halo 4 in it. (Sprint, Bloom, Armor Abilities).

• Upvote (+1) 2

There are just as much if not more people who started Halo with Halo 3+Reach then Halo CE+H2 playing today so I dont buy that most people are just too "old" for Halo(I have a friend who is 35 and still enjoys and plays comp Halo so its not a written rule) because most people are not and in fact just more experienced gamers.

I do think however, CoD is dominating the casual/new gamer market so heavily on console that almost every other shooter on console has suffered because of it MP wise.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Lets be honest do you really have as much fun playing as you did when you where lets say 15?

I enjoy it more now (applies to gaming in general really). At least, I do when the game is adjusted appropriately or is simply fun in the first place.

Being older lets me appreciate the importance of the "small" details which most people overlook.

Honestly, everything.

The weapons.

The player movement.

The maps.

How weapons are obtained and lost (ordnance and 12 sec despawn).

The aiming mechanics (flinch and delay after sprint).

How players interact with objectives (no flag drop, ball throw, being stuck when trying to back out of an extraction mid way).

The bonus features (no ranks, no spectator mode, no dedicated servers, no firefight).

The lack custom game options.

The lack of gametypes.

• Upvote (+1) 3

The main problem with Halo stems from the core experience of the game. Kids these days are obsessed with being soldiers with guns, just like kids 10 years ago were obsessed with being a super soldier with a pistol. Now as to why this change occurred? That's the fault of the difficulty of Halo. Wether you're playing people of equal skill, or someone who is better than you, when you first start playing Halo as someone who is unexperienced with FPS games, it's hard!

Skill in Halo comes with learning how to aim, something that is of minimal importance at a low skill level with games like Call of Duty. The playing field in Call of Duty is much more even at the low levels, so new players have a chance to get into it.

Halo skill caters to its core, which is a ten year old mantra that preaches aiming ability, weapon and map knowledge, and thankfully, real tactical intelligence. But these are not aspects of a game which will be picked up by the average Joe. Hali's population will continue to dwindle until people get bored of Call of Duty.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Because every other shooter out there is a copy of Call of Duty, now including Halo. And why get a knockoff when you can get the real deal?

• Upvote (+1) 1

The main problem with Halo stems from the core experience of the game. Kids these days are obsessed with being soldiers with guns, just like kids 10 years ago were obsessed with being a super soldier with a pistol. Now as to why this change occurred? That's the fault of the difficulty of Halo. Wether you're playing people of equal skill, or someone who is better than you, when you first start playing Halo as someone who is unexperienced with FPS games, it's hard!

Skill in Halo comes with learning how to aim, something that is of minimal importance at a low skill level with games like Call of Duty. The playing field in Call of Duty is much more even at the low levels, so new players have a chance to get into it.

Halo skill caters to its core, which is a ten year old mantra that preaches aiming ability, weapon and map knowledge, and thankfully, real tactical intelligence. But these are not aspects of a game which will be picked up by the average Joe. Hali's population will continue to dwindle until people get bored of Call of Duty.

^^This as well, I was in a 1v4 the other day against a bunch of low levels in Throwdown after my team lagged/quit out and even in H4 I ended up 38-8 and won no problem. New players in Halo are HORRIBLE, That is why Halo needs a TOP RATE ranking system and ranked/social play-lists or something like it so new players are not running into TO4's who have been religiously playing the game for close to a decade. Love or hate AR starts, but they were effective in allowing new players to get a couple frags without having to have good aim I would bring that back for social play-lists as well.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Honestly the biggest thing to bring a ton of people into the game is to bring back ranked/social and to have a refined ranking system even better than H2 or H3.  Something like what they do in LoL with ELO- this will keep people playing their asses off.  I honestly think it's a bigger deal populationwise than say, no descope. (80% of players probably have not even realized that it changed to no-descope from halo 3.) 

Luckily 343 did hire the guy who did the rankings for starcraft, so we'll see how that pans out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd say the community is what's really wrong with Halo. Non-stop complaining, no matter what. It seems nothing short of a Halo 2 MP reskin will please people (and even then, people will probably be split about keeping the glitches/removing them).

What I hate hearing the most is "sprint/AAs/ordnance is bad for Halo!"

No, it's bad for competitive Halo. That's the thing; people cant seem to understand that competitive tournament settings arent the way Halo is meant to be played. Sure, it may be the way YOU want to play it, but dont assume that's what everyone wants or that it has to be that way.

(disclaimer: I am not saying H4 is perfect, nor am I saying there is no room for competitive minded players. Please dont assume that I'm a casual, 343 fanboy who hates competition because he sucks at "real" Halo. Thanks)

• Downvote (-1) 10

I'd say the community is what's really wrong with Halo. Non-stop complaining, no matter what. It seems nothing short of a Halo 2 MP reskin will please people (and even then, people will probably be split about keeping the glitches/removing them).

No, it's bad for competitive Halo. That's the thing; people cant seem to understand that competitive tournament settings arent the way Halo is meant to be played. Sure, it may be the way YOU want to play it, but dont assume that's what everyone wants or that it has to be that way.

(disclaimer: I am not saying H4 is perfect, nor am I saying there is no room for competitive minded players. Please dont assume that I'm a casual, 343 fanboy who hates competition because he sucks at "real" Halo. Thanks)

No, if we got a good game, like H2 and H3 were, no one would HAVE to complain. Yes, the community can be toxic at times but it's because we're frustrated with the direction in which the franchise is going. It's out of love for Halo, we all love Halo and to see it get ruined breaks our hearts.

No casual ever played CE/2/3 and said, "You know what this game is missing? AA's, Sprint and Ordinance!"

Every casual loved H2/H3 on XBL because it was Halo, no AA's, no Sprint and no Ordinance. Compare the numbers in those games to the numbers in Reach + H4. 

We aren't expecting casual/social playlists to have no radar, hyper competitive settings with perfectly placed weapons on the map with perfect timers. We know how Halo works and how it doesn't. Halo simply doesn't work with the random, unbalanced, gimmicky mechanics that Reach and Halo 4 brought to the table.

To repeat my earlier point, if we were shipped a solid game that was both enjoyed by casuals and competitive players with a clear divide in social/competitive playlists in the MM hoppers, the community wouldn't be so annoyed at the developer and have to lash out at them.

There will ALWAYS be ungrateful and immature kids on the Internet but the reason why our community seems worse than it was back when Halo was good is because of the state of the game we've been given.

• Upvote (+1) 4

No, if we got a good game, like H2 and H3 were, no one would HAVE to complain. Yes, the community can be toxic at times but it's because we're frustrated with the direction in which the franchise is going. It's out of love for Halo, we all love Halo and to see it get ruined breaks our hearts.

I dunno, man. Didnt people complain about H3 too, or did I just hear that wrong?

No casual ever played CE/2/3 and said, "You know what this game is missing? AA's, Sprint and Ordinance!"

Maybe not those words exactly, but certainly someone said "wouldnt it be cool if you had a jetpack?"

Every casual loved H2/H3 on XBL because it was Halo, no AA's, no Sprint and no Ordinance. Compare the numbers in those games to the numbers in Reach + H4.

Or maybe they just liked it because it was fun?

Honestly, I never even knew people hated Reach until I I started joining Halo forums. It was like "wait, everyone seems to like this game. What's there to hate?"

We aren't expecting casual/social playlists to have no radar, hyper competitive settings with perfectly placed weapons on the map with perfect timers. We know how Halo works and how it doesn't. Halo simply doesn't work with the random, unbalanced, gimmicky mechanics that Reach and Halo 4 brought to the table.

See, you're doing it again.

"Halo doesnt work with X, Y, and Z in the game."

Does it not work, or do you just not like it? I'm guessing it's actually the latter.

AAs, ordnance, and sprint all seem to "work" just fine. From day 1 of Reach to this very day, I never felt like they didnt belong in Halo, or that they made it unbalanced (except for armor lock and camo). I was just like "aw sweet, new things I can do!"

To repeat my earlier point, if we were shipped a solid game that was both enjoyed by casuals and competitive players with a clear didive in social/competitive playlists in the MM hoppers, the community wouldn't be so annoyed at the developer and have to lash out at them.

There will ALWAYS be ungrateful and immature kids on the Internet but the reason why our community seems worse than it was back when Halo was good is because of the state of the game we've been given.

i will agree that Halo 4 launched in a less than acceptable state. But looking at it now, and at how far it's come, I think it turned out to be a pretty solid game with a lot of support. 343 could have easily said "screw you guys, we got your money!"

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I dunno, man. Didnt people complain about H3 too, or did I just hear that wrong?

not nearly as much as people complain about reach and h4.  have you been living under a rock?

Maybe not those words exactly, but certainly someone said "wouldnt it be cool if you had a jetpack?"

It sure would.  Place it on a map specifically designed for jetpack as a powerup as opposed to letting everyone equip it on every map and destroying sight lines/balance.

Or maybe they just liked it because it was fun?

Honestly, I never even knew people hated Reach until I I started joining Halo forums. It was like "wait, everyone seems to like this game. What's there to hate?"

That's because you aren't that good at halo.  I looked at your service records, I'm sorry but unless you have other accounts you *are* in the casual community.  A lot of the bad imbalancing, random, and skill gap lowering factors probably just went over your head- not to insult you just to try and explain.

Does it not work, or do you just not like it? I'm guessing it's actually the latter.

no.  it doesn't work.  It has been explained numerous times- you just don't understand it.  This is not opinion stuff, this is gamebreaking stuff.  That's why more people than ever are complaining and leaving- you're just in the minority of people who are probably at the top of the casual community and give a shit about the game, but who isn't knowledgable enough about the fundamentals of competitive halo to see why this stuff breaks the game.

AAs, ordnance, and sprint all seem to "work" just fine. From day 1 of Reach to this very day, I never felt like they didnt belong in Halo, or that they made it unbalanced (except for armor lock and camo). I was just like "aw sweet, new things I can do!"

Do you honestly believe that "random ordnance" is balanced?  I'm not even going to comment on AAs and why for the most part (unless placed on the map as a pickup for both teams to fight for) they ruin balance. It's been said too many times and would take me too long to retype out for each AA.   I"ll give you a link for why sprint is bad, and 95% of the competitive community believes sprint is terrible:  

http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/1id153/legendary_slayer_has_made_me_love_this_game_again/cb3k5sr

you can see the other posts in general discussion here on teambeyond where everyone is pissed that sprint is in the game- the community has honestly moved past the point of explaining why it's terrible.  it's been done many times and by many people and for many different reasons.

i will agree that Halo 4 launched in a less than acceptable state. But looking at it now, and at how far it's come, I think it turned out to be a pretty solid game with a lot of support. 343 could have easily said "screw you guys, we got your money!"

no they couldn't.  343 is trying to sell halo 5, so they need to have a reputation for good customer support- just like any other business that sells more than one product.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

considering how subpar halo 4 was and still is the anger was justified, if you seriously believe halo's community is all that bad then look at the other gaming communities and I think it may change your perspecive a little, halo has one of the best (albeit hurt) communities I've seen.

very few people in this community actually play competitively, we are all casual in the sense that we play for fun, sprint/AA's/ordinance/etc are not enjoyable in the slightest, in fact they do nothing but anger/bore us.

to say that just because we dislike something it doesn't mean everyone dislike's it is kind of stupid to say, its like if I were to say just because you like sprint it doesn't mean everyone likes, you could basically say the same about anything and everything.

I like a lot of 343i's ideas and the like, in fact if done right I think AA's/POD's/loadouts/etc could fit well within halo, the problem though is that 343i do not understand how to actually put these things in the game and you end up with a bunch of useless/annoying gimmicks that piss the fans off.

I like the disclaimer part btw, its good that you are aware of how stupid what you were saying actually was.

COD - stuck with what worked for them

Halo - did not

And we saw the results.

COD is one of the reasons why halo is where its at now, Mario or Zelda I think are better examples.

I dunno, man. Didnt people complain about H3 too, or did I just hear that wrong? People complained because it was different from H2 and CE. People complain about everything, that's a given but it was great when comparing it to Reach + H4. The community is much worse on social media/Forums now and during Reach than it was during the first 3 Halo's by a long shot.

Maybe not those words exactly, but certainly someone said "wouldnt it be cool if you had a jetpack?" It probably crossed people's minds, yes, but they don't function in Halo, they give the game imbalance and break the game. A lot of what made Halo, Halo was the fact that you held the higher ground on other players, forcing them to spawn bellow you (map dependant) which gave you the advantage. If you just throw in a Jetpack, that whole concept of controlling power positions just goes through the window.

Halo has always been about everyone starting off on a level playing field, it should never have been a gamble as to what AA the guy you're shooting at MIGHT have.

Or maybe they just liked it because it was fun?Yes, they liked it because it was fun. It was Halo. Then they added these new things in Reach + H4 and the numbers dropped significantly. That's not a coincidence. 

Honestly, I never even knew people hated Reach until I I started joining Halo forums. It was like "wait, everyone seems to like this game. What's there to hate?" Reach was horrible. It introduced AA's, Sprint and Bloom. None of that belongs in Halo. The maps were half assed and it strayed away from what made Halo popular. At the end of Reach's lifespan, v7 settings were actually pretty solid but I'm talking about the launch state and every other playlist bar MLG v7.

AAs, ordnance, and sprint all seem to "work" just fine. From day 1 of Reach to this very day, I never felt like they didnt belong in Halo, or that they made it unbalanced (except for armor lock and camo). I was just like "aw sweet, new things I can do!" No, really, they don't work. Why do you think so many complained about them breaking the game? Why did the numbers drop so much? It's not a question of whether I like them or not.

I don't like radar, at all, but I'm not saying it should never be in the game. Radar does work in Halo but certain things like Sprint/AA's do not. I understand why some people like playing radar gametypes and that's why I stick to playlists without radar. You mention that only armour lock and camo were fine but you think it's okay to break the map with jetpack? Or Sprint away from an enemy after putting yourself in a bad position? Same with Evade but not as game breaking. Then you have the Drop Shield. Similar to the Halo 3 Bubble Shield where you had to pick it up off the map (only one placed on map usually) but now in Reach you can SPAWN with it. See where I'm going with this?

i will agree that Halo 4 launched in a less than acceptable state. But looking at it now, and at how far it's come, I think it turned out to be a pretty solid game with a lot of support. 343 could have easily said "screw you guys, we got your money!" Yes, it has come a long way and I am grateful for what 343 has done. They would never have just turned their backs on us after launch because 1.) They love Halo, too and would want to please the community, even if it's just small fixes. They knew the game was rushed and they knew they'd have to make fixes to it and 2.) They'd be sabotaging sales for the next Halo if they didn't do anything to help the longevity for the game. 

Answers in bolded.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do they work? Or do you just like them?  I'm guessing it's actually the latter.

Just because something is "sweet" and you find it fun doesn't mean it works or is real Halo.

In Baltimore this weekend they are having a "Brony" convention. A bunch of people think it's sweet and think it's fun. But it's awful and they are all sexual deviants.  Just because people enjoy something doesn't mean it's any good.

Do they work? Or do you just like them?  I'm guessing it's actually the latter.

Just because something is "sweet" and you find it fun doesn't mean it works or is real Halo.

In Baltimore this weekend they are having a "Brony" convention. A bunch of people think it's sweet and think it's fun. But it's awful and they are all sexual deviants.  Just because people enjoy something doesn't mean it's any good.

I know this is irrelevant but could you (or someone else) please explain to me the whole "brony" thing? I mean theres nothing wrong about it or anything I just don't get it.

I know this is irrelevant but could you (or someone else) please explain to me the whole "brony" thing? I mean theres nothing wrong about it or anything I just don't get it.

Then you are sane.  Congratulations.

(from what I've heard from a friend (i honestly haven't watched it) the show itself isn't bad- it was written by the same people who made foster's home for imaginary pets (which I do know was a solid cartoon), but the brony obsession over it is ridiculous, half the time contrived, and ultimately weird.)

Then you are sane.  Congratulations.

(from what I've heard from a friend (i honestly haven't watched it) the show itself isn't bad- it was written by the same people who made foster's home for imaginary pets (which I do know was a solid cartoon), but the brony obsession over it is ridiculous, half the time contrived, and ultimately weird.)

I really liked fosters home for imaginary friends, I mean its possible that its just a great show and a lot of guys just happen to like it but I'm not sure, I haven't watched much of it but what little I did watch kinda bored me.

Too many quotes to bother replying to. Oh, and a -1 rep. for having an opinion.

Ugh.

Oh boo hoo a single person downvoted you.  Instead of trying to "reply" to the quotes, why don't you just reread them and try to soak them in and understand the points being presented.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1