Sign in to follow this  
TheSpinCycle

The Next Halo: Should it display health on the HUD?

94 members have voted

1. 1. Should the next Halo game display shield and health bars or only a shield bar?

• The next Halo should have both a shield bar and a health bar on the HUD (Halo CE, Halo Reach)
    • The next Halo should only have a shield bar on the HUD (Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 4)

Yes you can.  You can see their shields flashing when they are weak- that's the only thing that matters here.  You can see your opponents health on them, which is why I dislike the health bar mechanic in reach and CE because it hides more of that aspect.

OK, so the solution to seeing the shield bar is some kind of visual. Is there a way that health AND shields could be shown at once? Like visible damage to the Spartan's armor?

OK, so the solution to seeing the shield bar is some kind of visual. Is there a way that health AND shields could be shown at once? Like visible damage to the Spartan's armor?

possibly.

Or you can just have a health system like H3 where it regenerates immediately once regaining shields and it won't even be a problem.

possibly.

Or you can just have a health system like H3 where it regenerates immediately once regaining shields and it won't even be a problem.

What about cT's logic? I haven't seen anybody respond directly to it yet.

Health added another layer of importance to movement. People talk about health like it wasnt ever important. It was not a focus on the game, but if you had rockets and red health you better believe you didnt wanna die from one nade so you went and got a health pack.

People just don't like having to focus on a half dozen things at once, which is also why most people don't like the gold pro settings. You dont get to leisurely stroll around and teamshoot, there is always an objective even in slayer, and that reminds me of h1 more than anything else.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What about cT's logic? I haven't seen anybody respond directly to it yet.

Because cT is a God amongst men. He knows everything, sees everything, hears everything. 

Okay, asides from sucking his dick, seriously, he knows how Halo works so there's no reason to respond to it when he's right.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Because cT is a God amongst men. He knows everything, sees everything, hears everything. 

Okay, asides from sucking his dick, seriously, he knows how Halo works so there's no reason to respond to it when he's right.

Just curious since 2/3 of the people in this poll disagree with that logic.

Just curious since 2/3 of the people in this poll disagree with that logic.

Well, I don't know why they aren't directly responding to him then but they're misinformed either way.

Ok, I'll respond.  It slows down gameplay when you're less likely to push out and into engagements and when you have to go back in search of health packs.  Halo 2 did away with health packs and revolutionized fps's in this way (hello CoD).  Action became quicker paced and more exciting.  It's not like picking up, say, powerups because powerups are in central positions that both teams fight over.  Health packs are placed off to the sides away from the central conflict areas.

Removing health packs was a change for the better, it's great to be able to jump into a battle after a previous one without having to first make a pitstop back at your base- perhaps it removes some strategy but in its place it increases the importance of pushing out and being quick as fu-- to get to the position on the map that you are needed most, since the other team has also recharged their shields.

It also makes dying a bigger deal since you can't just say "well at least I made the guy with rockets red bar."  If you die in a stupid engagement you get punished more.

Also 50% of the primary multiplayer halo games with health packs were terrible, whereas only 33% of the primary multiplayer halo games with no health packs were terrible.  XD

I say that visible health should be visible based strictly off the fact that without a health bar, you can never be entirely sure of your status in the middle of an intense firefight.

Real Halo is all about controlling every aspect of the match. Your opponents, your team mates, weapons, choke points, and knowing your opponents, team mates, weapons, and choke points.

Why should the status of your life points be any different? It shouldn't. You should be aware of your current status just like everything else. 

Whether it's regenerative or not is another matter, and that's not what the poll is about.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think both sides of the argument have merit, but I just prefer the way Reach did it.  Yes, it's something else to think about and sometimes you might have to go out of your way a bit to recover, but you also got that benefit of instantly starting your shield charge.  I can't stress enough how awesome of a feature that was when you had the foresight to use it intentionally.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think both sides of the argument have merit, but I just prefer the way Reach did it.  Yes, it's something else to think about and sometimes you might have to go out of your way a bit to recover, but you also got that benefit of instantly starting your shield charge.  I can't stress enough how awesome of a feature that was when you had the foresight to use it intentionally.  

Yup.

Course', I used it in conjunction with all things that made it broken. Armor lock at red health, hold it out, pick up health pack. Or sprint away from a bad situation I put myself in and grabbed a health pack. :frank:

Maybe even if they have a healthbar in the next game they could still not have healthpacks and just have the health regenerate slowly over time after last damage, but now you can see the regeneration.

It already is that way, regardless of visible health or health packs on map.  It's just a matter of preferring to see it and control it.  It seems to me that you would prefer there be no health system whatsoever.  That's fine, but it just seemed to me that you thought that's how H2,3, and 4 were, but they're not.  Health is still there, you just can't see it.

you guys beat me to it lol.

Interesting idea about the info stuff for this armor ability, but the outline sounds waaaaaaay too much like the BO2 target finder. Basically for kids with no awareness. Not a big deal to me tho as im hoping armor abilities will be trashed in halo 5 in favor of on the map equipment that has to be picked up, if they really feel they need to have equipment and such in the game.

I consider armor abilities and equipment to be two seperate things, as such I would hope they would do so aswell, it'll likely be like halo 4 *sigh*

no one ever argues with cT on this forum lol.

everyone loves cT :)

Exactly - the HUD can become a mess. I think health needs to regenerate 100% as soon as your shield hits full.

When a player has 0% shield the bar can flash a warning like in previous games but change it up a bit. Have it flash yellow at deshield, orange around half health and red at very low health.

This is a golden idea. 

I also think this should be applied to shield flare. Some say that having the opponents exact health be displayed in some health bar is just a crutch, but what if this health bar idea was visible to others? Crackling yellow sparks indicate no shields but full health, orange crackling sparks indicate half health, and red crackling sparks indicate low health.

• Upvote (+1) 2

bold. apologies in advance if I come off sounding like a jerk.

It slows down gameplay when you're less likely to push out and into engagements and when you have to go back in search of health packs.  

Based on what? Your thoughts or opinions? When did NBNS reach slow down due to health packs? When did h1 slow down due to health packs? Can you show me even one example of gameplay in any game where you think having visible health actually slowed it down? Thats the thing about these arguments, they're good in theory to try to make a point but at the end of the day they're not evidence because there are no examples where puckett had to say. WELL GUYS HE WENT BACK TO HIS BASE INSTEAD OF TRYING TO RETURN THAT FLAG DUE TO HAVING YELLOW HEALTH. It just doesn't happen. It sounds nice to people on the other side of the argument, but it didnt happen.

Halo 2 did away with health packs and revolutionized fps's in this way (hello CoD).  Action became quicker paced and more exciting.  

Uh, not unless you're basing H1 pace and speed off that old AGP video with AR starts. 4v4 wizard in h1 was probably the most fast-paced halo there was. See again I'm forced into being an elitist douchebag because I'm put in positions where people who didn't play competitive halo 1 are arguing against it and I have to call them out. Halo 2 did not make the game faster, and even if you could make that argument, it was not due to having no visible health. I've been stuck at blue too many times on lockout to have halo 2 called a game of superior pacing. Gimme a break.

It's not like picking up, say, powerups because powerups are in central positions that both teams fight over.  Health packs are placed off to the sides away from the central conflict areas.

So put them somewhere else?

Removing health packs was a change for the better, it's great to be able to jump into a battle after a previous one without having to first make a pitstop back at your base- perhaps it removes some strategy but in its place it increases the importance of pushing out and being quick as fu-- to get to the position on the map that you are needed most, since the other team has also recharged their shields.

There was no need for 'perhaps' - it does remove strategy from the game. It's one less thing to think about. Frankly, i think halo needs more factors to consider. Without it, it devolves into just going full APG and taping the left thumbstick down for the entirety of the game. Not to say that he's not a smart player, but that strategy should not be as effective as it is.

It also makes dying a bigger deal since you can't just say "well at least I made the guy with rockets red bar."  If you die in a stupid engagement you get punished more.

This could be argued to be a good thing just as easily as you're making it out to be bad. I look at it this way. I play a lot of team snipers. When I play team snipers, I regularly go for body shots because halo 4 is ******** and if you can flinch someone with a first shot and its way more effective than it used to be. My point is, I've been in more than a few battles where someone pops out, gets bodied, hides, pops out, gets bodied, hides. I've done this wash rinse and repeat nonsense with the same guy hiding in the same spot for like 3 cycles. In halo CE a snipe bullet took you to yellow health. If you got your shields back, the next one took you to red health. At this point a single nade or a single body shot could kill you. You didnt get to just hide endlessly and get back to full strength. The idea of risk/reward in halo is dying. Having that risk there makes each decision more important. Your options may be slightly more limited if you are at red health but I'd argue that dynamic is a good thing. At least you can change the game without killing someone outright. And changing the game a little means less of the same thing over and over again, which is what competitive halo looks like today.

• Upvote (+1) 5

CT

What are your thoughts on health packs causing shields to begin recharging? Good thing or bad thing?

I could probably write a lot on this. The short answer is I'm not sure. It definitely makes health packs much much more powerful. I think it changed the HP to be more like a powerup, and that changed the dynamic of where they can or should be placed. For instance, I HATED the healthpack in the cage or uncaged or whatever on that top catwalk. Something that powerful should NEVER be in a power position. Nothing that gives a weapon or player advantage should ever be placed in a position that gives an advantage. That's just one of the core tenets of halo that has been around for ages but ignored by subsequent halo map and multiplayer designers (and some forgers >.>).

I think they would be better in games with faster kill times and no sprint, but overall they were not a terrible thing because they added another layer of meta to the gameplay. As hardway noted earlier, if you knew how to abuse them, healthpacks were powerful. And anything that lets a player beat a less experienced player (but can be easily countered with smart play) is generally a good thing. I just disliked how your shots on a person counted for nothing if they could sprint to one of those damn things. But I do my best to not let my opinion of a specific situation completely mold my opinion of whatever mechanic I was criticizing because its usually different when you're the one abusing it.

Maybe a battery that does the same thing but is separate from health could be a cool idea. Who knows, but health is probably never coming back.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is there a gamertag that runs goldpro // unity // no sprint customs?

I run no-sprint Unity, but we've been messing with a bunch of aim assist/weapon damage values to make an overall faster game.

Maybe a battery that does the same thing but is separate from health could be a cool idea. Who knows, but health is probably never coming back.

I may have found that replacement for the DB powerup.

I may have found that replacement for the DB powerup.

Spawn it every 30-60 seconds if so. It's helpful, but far from game-changing. It's not a reason to move unless you're already hurt. Spawn it too much and people will stay and fight from there - spawn it too rarely and no one will care and it will be ignored. It should probably be in a highly contested area.

Spawn it every 30-60 seconds if so. It's helpful, but far from game-changing. It's not a reason to move unless you're already hurt. Spawn it too much and people will stay and fight from there - spawn it too rarely and no one will care and it will be ignored. It should probably be in a highly contested area.

My only issue is that Unity currently has the shield recharge delay set to 4 seconds. I'd rather not slow it down. That, and I can only spawn powerups through Ordinance.

What are you planning on turning DB into? Something that modifies shield recharge delay?

I would do a burnable OS that doesn't decay until damage is taken, DB into Camo, and SB into reduced player model size and movement speed increase. Someone suggested the power up from timesplitters that shrinks you and I thought it was a good idea.

If anyone finds health packs being an issue, I'd recommend watching the H1 LAN that was streaming recently.  The guy made a thread here as well for it

A good visual can be that okay imagine this...(-------) <- this is imaginary shields, so when the opponent has been shot to the point of no shields he flashes like normal, now.....( dank team )...this guy has no shields and starts getting shot long distance on the body, a visual that would be good to witness can be that of the opponent leaving a trail of blood where they go.....this way they know that if the bleeding stops they are full health, regardless of having full shields or not, and the amount of blood varies depending on how low their health is.....Idk just something that came to mind while reading... will it work? I believe most would disagree but yeah that's it

• Upvote (+1) 1

A good visual can be that okay imagine this...(-------) <- this is imaginary shields, so when the opponent has been shot to the point of no shields he flashes like normal, now.....( dank team )...this guy has no shields and starts getting shot long distance on the body, a visual that would be good to witness can be that of the opponent leaving a trail of blood where they go.....this way they know that if the bleeding stops they are full health, regardless of having full shields or not, and the amount of blood varies depending on how low their health is.....Idk just something that came to mind while reading... will it work? I believe most would disagree but yeah that's it