Sign in to follow this  
TheSpinCycle

The Next Halo: Should it display health on the HUD?

94 members have voted

1. 1. Should the next Halo game display shield and health bars or only a shield bar?

• The next Halo should have both a shield bar and a health bar on the HUD (Halo CE, Halo Reach)
    • The next Halo should only have a shield bar on the HUD (Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 4)

Here's an off-topic idea for a really useful armor ability for competitive players: ODST VISR. It shows the outline of enemies and allies (like Promethean Vision) but can't see through walls; it highlights bullet and grenade trails; best of all, it shows the shield strength of your opponent. You like?

you lost me at armor ability

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I think they got rid of the health indicator to simplify the HUD; they did a similar thing by removing the secondary weapon indicator. Haha, too bad they couldn't have simplified it further by removing the ordnance indicator!

- - -

Here's my idea: Your health is shown by your shield strength, but it instantly replenishes once your shields recharge.

Exactly - the HUD can become a mess. I think health needs to regenerate 100% as soon as your shield hits full.

When a player has 0% shield the bar can flash a warning like in previous games but change it up a bit. Have it flash yellow at deshield, orange around half health and red at very low health.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Exactly - the HUD can become a mess. I think health needs to regenerate 100% as soon as your shield hits full.

When a player has 0% shield the bar can flash a warning like in previous games but change it up a bit. Have it flash yellow at deshield, orange around half health and red at very low health.

Or the health bar can be hidden underneath the shield bar so it's only viewable when necessary.

very good ideas

screw any armor ability that makes the game easy mode

@bolded That's basically what you're saying.

@bolded That's basically what you're saying.

meh, the reach goldpro jetpack wasn't bad at all.. they had 125% jump and 200% gravity which left jumping fine but nerfed the jetpack. I wouldn't mind that as a pickup (like it was on Sanc). Thruster pack in H4 isn't terrible either although it would have to get a longer distance (halfway between thruster and evade perhaps?) to get picked up as a semi-power-item.

Stuff like promethean vision, camo can say bye though.

Yes, definitely.  I like being able to have control over whether I will die from one grenade or not.

I really liked how in Reach, when you grabbed a health pack, your shield would instantly begin charging.  By the end of Reach I became quite good at using the health pack to make otherwise impossible plays.  I also distinctly remember a HaloTracker 1v1 league game in which I was absolutely demonstrated upon.  That kid taught me a painful lesson in how advantageous it can be to fight from near a health pack.  After he kicked my ass with it, I really grew to appreciate that aspect of the game, even though I was fucking livid at the time. haha

• Upvote (+1) 2

no health packs please.- no two engagements should be different based on whether or not someone was in a prior engagement, and it slows gameplay down.  having regenerating health show up would be fine.

It already is that way, regardless of visible health or health packs on map.  It's just a matter of preferring to see it and control it.  It seems to me that you would prefer there be no health system whatsoever.  That's fine, but it just seemed to me that you thought that's how H2,3, and 4 were, but they're not.  Health is still there, you just can't see it.

meh, the reach goldpro jetpack wasn't bad at all.. they had 125% jump and 200% gravity which left jumping fine but nerfed the jetpack. I wouldn't mind that as a pickup (like it was on Sanc). Thruster pack in H4 isn't terrible either although it would have to get a longer distance (halfway between thruster and evade perhaps?) to get picked up as a semi-power-item.

Stuff like promethean vision, camo can say bye though.

@bolded I agree, but the VISR wouldn't harm game play; it only would provide useful information, but please tell me if you think that information would be detrimental.

As for the Thruster Pack... Since it can make certain jumps that shouldn't be used possible, maybe it would be best to replace it with a version of Evade that increases gravity when used to prevent maps from being broken. It's all out of our hands, though.

#OffTopic

@bolded I agree, but the VISR wouldn't harm game play; it only would provide useful information, but please tell me if you think that information would be detrimental.

As for the Thruster Pack... Since it can make certain jumps that shouldn't be used possible, maybe it would be best to replace it with a version of Evade that increases gravity when used to prevent maps from being broken. It's all out of our hands, though.

#OffTopic

Showing outlines on enemies when you can already see them on your screen is easy mode as for paying attention to your screen. Shield strength of the opponent I think could be better solved by shield flare related stuff. You should probably know how many shots you've landed anyways.. It would be nowhere near gamebreaking as camo or PV but I don't see why it's necessary when that stuff can be incorporated without armor abilities.

I'd honestly like the health system from 2, 3 and 4, but with your health visible so you can see it regen, see how low it is. 

Showing outlines on enemies when you can already see them on your screen is easy mode as for paying attention to your screen. Shield strength of the opponent I think could be better solved by shield flare related stuff. You should probably know how many shots you've landed anyways.. It would be nowhere near gamebreaking as camo or PV but I don't see why it's necessary when that stuff can be incorporated without armor abilities.

Fair enough. As long as I'm actually able to see the enemy without relying on the red text. It might just be my terrible eyesight, but everyone seems to blend into the background. Also, I just like to have lots of information, but I can see how it would add unnecessary complexity

Fair enough. As long as I'm actually able to see the enemy without relying on the red text. It might just be my terrible eyesight, but everyone seems to blend into the background. Also, I just like to have lots of information, but I can see how it would add unnecessary complexity

Interesting idea about the info stuff for this armor ability, but the outline sounds waaaaaaay too much like the BO2 target finder. Basically for kids with no awareness. Not a big deal to me tho as im hoping armor abilities will be trashed in halo 5 in favor of on the map equipment that has to be picked up, if they really feel they need to have equipment and such in the game.

Interesting idea about the info stuff for this armor ability, but the outline sounds waaaaaaay too much like the BO2 target finder. Basically for kids with no awareness. Not a big deal to me tho as im hoping armor abilities will be trashed in halo 5 in favor of on the map equipment that has to be picked up, if they really feel they need to have equipment and such in the game.

Eh, I suppose you're right. It's amazing how off topic this discussion has gotten.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Eh, I suppose you're right. It's amazing how off topic this discussion has gotten.

Yea funny how that happens  :kappa:

Say you go against someone in a 1v1; he completely chokes on the headshot, but you have very low health. The next engagement, you duel until you're both no-shields, and he chokes again on the headshot, but he pops off one shot to the body, and you're dead. Where was the skill in that?

That's pretty fallacious. If he had the ability to take your shields and health and then your shields again, you had every opportunity to kill him too. In your theoretical situation - if he's lacking in skill by killing you with bodyshots then you are even less-skilled for failing to headshot him before he had the chance to do this, twice.

Health added another layer of importance to movement. People talk about health like it wasnt ever important. It was not a focus on the game, but if you had rockets and red health you better believe you didnt wanna die from one nade so you went and got a health pack.

People just don't like having to focus on a half dozen things at once, which is also why most people don't like the gold pro settings. You dont get to leisurely stroll around and teamshoot, there is always an objective even in slayer, and that reminds me of h1 more than anything else.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Pretty much what cT said.

It was a pretty good movement option. If I'm on red health I'm going to die from one nade. That's big. I don't want to have camo and red health as I'll be completely screwed.

In h1, you couldn't have just 1 goal and be fine sometimes. Sometimes I'll have camo in chill out but rockets are coming up in 30 seconds. I also have red health so I need to make a decision of trying to get Rockets without dying from 1 nade, or go get a health pack and then try getting rockets.

It's why when controlling health packs can be good. You get your health back, but opponents can't get them

Don't forget you spawn with 4 Nades in h1. One of those will kill you if you're red health

It already is that way, regardless of visible health or health packs on map.  It's just a matter of preferring to see it and control it.  It seems to me that you would prefer there be no health system whatsoever.  That's fine, but it just seemed to me that you thought that's how H2,3, and 4 were, but they're not.  Health is still there, you just can't see it.

I know there is health in h2,3,4 ..... What I said was that I prefer it that way- to regenerate.    Not to stay low like in reach or CE.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Nope. I just thought about it now.

Out of curiosity, why not?

Also food for thought: If you had an engagement with someone over Rockets, isn't your next engagement different based on the prior one (you'll do very different things based on whether you won the engagement, backed off when one shot, or died)?

@Mods thanks for changing the thread title :)

The difference is in knowing what your opponent has.  You can see someone carrying rockets around the corner.  You cannot see someone else's health bar and know whether or not they have lower health from a previous engagement. 

The difference is in knowing what your opponent has.  You can see someone carrying rockets around the corner.  You cannot see someone else's health bar and know whether or not they have lower health from a previous engagement. 

You also can't see their shield bar, their backpack weapon, how many shots they have left in their clip, their spare ammo, their armor ability/sprint or when it's recharging, whether they have nades etc etc. Out of curiosity, what makes the health bar any different?

Were this H1, I wouldn't care. 

But in modern Halo, it takes forever to kill someone, so I'd like to take a peek at my own. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Is there a gamertag that runs goldpro // unity // no sprint customs?

You also can't see their shield bar, their backpack weapon, how many shots they have left in their clip, their spare ammo, their armor ability/sprint or when it's recharging, whether they have nades etc etc. Out of curiosity, what makes the health bar any different?

Yes you can.  You can see their shields flashing when they are weak- that's the only thing that matters here.  You can see your opponents health on them, which is why I dislike the health bar mechanic in reach and CE because it hides more of that aspect.

The regenerating health in halo 4 is still hidden from you, yes, but it's much less of a problem.

Also, backpack weapon doesn't matter because it takes time for them to pull it out (which you can see),

and knowing their ammo really doesn't matter that much because you can safely assume in 95% of your BR battles that the other person has at least enough shots to kill you.

Also I *really* dislike AAs because you can't see your opponent's AA, so thank you for pointing that one out- I agree it's pretty bad to not have any idea whether someone is going to hardlight or thruster the next second because you have no idea if they have it or not.

But none of that matters.  My main point is that *health*/shields specifically should be something that you can read off of an opponent.  

Honestly I would prefer it if they had little HP bars floating over people's heads when you aim at them - right behind their gamertag.