Sign in to follow this  
TheSpinCycle

The Next Halo: Should it display health on the HUD?

94 members have voted

1. 1. Should the next Halo game display shield and health bars or only a shield bar?

• The next Halo should have both a shield bar and a health bar on the HUD (Halo CE, Halo Reach)
    • The next Halo should only have a shield bar on the HUD (Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 4)

So the HUDs in CE / Reach showed both a shield bar and a health bar underneath, while in 2/3/4 only a shield bar is shown.

In the next Halo, would you rather have only shields displayed on the HUD or both shields and health? (sorry about no pictures of each game's HUD, I couldn't get them formatted right - they had huge gaps between them that I couldn't delete)

My personal opinion: Shields and health. It's more informative to the player.

It's important to note something which you didn't in your post. It wasn't just a HUD element to give you information. In both games that had health it also became a part of gameplay with healthpacks on map that you had to pick up in order to regenerate back to full health. In H2-3-4 the health is behind the scenes. It still functions like it did in H1 you just can't see it and it regenerates by itself over a set period of time after last damage taken.

As an H1 player and a player of every Halo since I have to say removing health packs was one of the only things I actually liked in terms of gameplay changes since H1.

Maybe even if they have a healthbar in the next game they could still not have healthpacks and just have the health regenerate slowly over time after last damage, but now you can see the regeneration.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Maybe even if they have a healthbar in the next game they could still not have healthpacks and just have the health regenerate slowly over time after last damage, but now you can see the regeneration.

That's actually a really cool idea. Not sure why the health bar was invisible just because there was not health packs. It is useful information because it can tell you if you will die by one sniper body shot or one really close grenade.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Well i was mainly a H2 kid and the re-addition of the health pack system was something i actually liked in Reach.

Funny this thread was made because me and a lobby of people were just having this discussion a couple nights ago. Were you apart of that?

This could be the best of both worlds and add some more depth back to the shield/health system. I never found the health packs played much of a factor into the strategy of CE since kill times were so fast. And rockets/sniper >>>>>> health packs.

At the end of the day, I would be fine with either system.

This could be the best of both worlds and add some more depth back to the shield/health system. I never found the health packs played much of a factor into the strategy of CE since kill times were so fast. And rockets/sniper >>>>>> health packs.

At the end of the day, I would be fine with either system.

You could totally nade yourself a healthpack from bottom red on Priz.

:kappa:

If the health bar is shown you need to do one of two things:

Have health packs - or - Make health regenerate fully

In CE you didn't recover health without the packs and in Reach you could recover some health unless you were badly damaged. If players were badly damaged and health packs weren't available then they would feel ripped off that they are weak and have no way of fixing it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'd bring it back. Visual health = (minor) incentive to grab a health pack when you're low. It's a little thing but it's harmless. If nothing else, health packs can be a callout tool.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You could totally nade yourself a healthpack from bottom red on Priz.

:kappa:

haha, in theory

This post simultaneously made me miss both weapon nading and Prisoner. We're really lacking maps in Halo 4 with the verticality of it and Damnation.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If the health bar is shown you need to do one of two things:

Have health packs - or - Make health regenerate fully

In CE you didn't recover health without the packs and in Reach you could recover some health unless you were badly damaged. If players were badly damaged and health packs weren't available then they would feel ripped off that they are weak and have no way of fixing it.

Well if i had any say in it health would regenerate fully but it would take considerably longer to regenerate then shields would. And then you could even throw a few healthpacks on every map just so theres a way to heal quickly, but now you just wont be screwed if there are no healthpacks available you just gotta play it slow  a lil longer till your health regenerates. 

Get on XBC right now. 1v1s all day switch host every 3 games for fairness. If your near Michigan anyway otherwise it's pointless.

Edit: That was supposed to quote haemorrhage not sure what happened.

haha, in theory

This post simultaneously made me miss both weapon nading and Prisoner. We're really lacking maps in Halo 4 with the verticality of it and Damnation.

Jetpack makes verticality futile. Unfortunately.

Get on XBC right now. 1v1s all day switch host every 3 games for fairness. If your near Michigan anyway otherwise it's pointless.

Edit: That was supposed to quote haemorrhage not sure what happened.

I live in Ottawa. So the ping may not be horrendous. I am at work right now, but maybe later tonight.

I spend countless hours on H:CE XBC with my roommate in college. Ah the memories...ah I am old.

I'd like to see it. Especially since it regenerates at a slower rate than the shield does - just letting your shields recharge doesn't make you immune to dying to a single sniper bodyshot and it would be nice for players to be able to see this.

no health packs please.- no two engagements should be different based on whether or not someone was in a prior engagement, and it slows gameplay down.  having regenerating health show up would be fine.

Were you apart of that?

Nope. I just thought about it now.

no health packs please.- no two engagements should be different based on whether or not someone was in a prior engagement, and it slows gameplay down.  having regenerating health show up would be fine.

Out of curiosity, why not?

Also food for thought: If you had an engagement with someone over Rockets, isn't your next engagement different based on the prior one (you'll do very different things based on whether you won the engagement, backed off when one shot, or died)?

@Mods thanks for changing the thread title :)

Out of curiosity, why not?

Say you go against someone in a 1v1; he completely chokes on the headshot, but you have very low health. The next engagement, you duel until you're both no-shields, and he chokes again on the headshot, but he pops off one shot to the body, and you're dead. Where was the skill in that?

I think they got rid of the health indicator to simplify the HUD; they did a similar thing by removing the secondary weapon indicator. Haha, too bad they couldn't have simplified it further by removing the ordnance indicator!

- - -

Here's my idea: Your health is shown by your shield strength, but it instantly replenishes once your shields recharge.

Say you go against someone in a 1v1; he completely chokes on the headshot, but you have very low health. The next engagement, you duel until you're both no-shields, and he chokes again on the headshot, but he pops off one shot to the body, and you're dead. Where was the skill in that?

TBH.. not sure.

Perhaps it doesn't matter because it's the same thing as killing people by shooting them in the body over and over when they're one shot, just spread over multiple engagements.

Here's an off-topic idea for a really useful armor ability for competitive players: ODST VISR. It shows the outline of enemies and allies (like Promethean Vision) but can't see through walls; it highlights bullet and grenade trails; best of all, it shows the shield strength of your opponent. You like?