CyReN

Counter-Strike Discussion

Why isn't CSGO on the MLG circuit? Not relevant enough in America?

MLG signed the deal with Activision to make it a permanent fixture this year. (Not sure if that means the only shooter). At the time, you could understand why as Black Ops 2 was picking up, and if it continued the trend, would over take CS. Now thats obviously not the case, and CS has grown . I think it is relevant enough in America, the potential is there but its just lacking in tourneys, probably because leagues thought COD would be the gateway to casuals coming into esports. Id expect MLG to pick CS sooner or later, and become the home of  NA CS. An MLG tourney in NA (which would still have EU teams anyways) could break 200k viewership.

It works for both parties. For the dev, its their gateway to futher expand in NA. For MLG, CS is alot more marketable. The game is more consistent, has better dev support, a better spectator mode, the teams are ran by better organisations and dont have team changes fueled by 16 year old Twitter drama.

Should we expect there to be more focus on games that are already features on MLG's circuit events and GameBattles, such as Call of Duty, Dota 2, and the possibility of Smash?

Sundance - You're going to see Call of Duty, Dota 2, Smash, League of Legends, some fighting game stuff potentially. With Counter-Strike and what's happened the last couple of events there, maybe we can support that a little bit. We've got teams that we're talking to that have multiple games. Source

I could see MLG piggybacking off an already established CS event runner, I'd guess ESEA because of the proximity. It doesn't make sense for them to announce picking it up without tournament funding which they're not going to get without ties to the community. Teaming up with someone like ESEA is a win win because it increases the tournament quality while still retaining authenticity.

. It doesn't make sense for them to announce picking it up without tournament funding which they're not going to get without ties to the community. 

The earliest we'l see with CS (lets say MLG does want to host something) is just before/after the new COD. I think after the dismal views the Ghosts tourney got that they regret signing that deal, and will be comparing cs/cod leading upto the Sledgehammer COD, a dev team which hasnt really proved itself.

If MLG/Valve can work on a deal of having enough community funding (hell, even make it that only US accounts contribute to tournament funding) for an MLG tournament, then its also win/win. 

Personally I think its time to let COD go.

Also, MLG is lacking identity at the moment. It seemed they were expanding into more of a streaming channel, then they cut events for this year, but then they franchise out to Brazil for live events.

MLG signed the deal with Activision to make it a permanent fixture this year. (Not sure if that means the only shooter). At the time, you could understand why as Black Ops 2 was picking up, and if it continued the trend, would over take CS. Now thats obviously not the case, and CS has grown . I think it is relevant enough in America, the potential is there but its just lacking in tourneys, probably because leagues thought COD would be the gateway to casuals coming into esports. Id expect MLG to pick CS sooner or later, and become the home of  NA CS. An MLG tourney in NA (which would still have EU teams anyways) could break 200k viewership.

It works for both parties. For the dev, its their gateway to futher expand in NA. For MLG, CS is alot more marketable. The game is more consistent, has better dev support, a better spectator mode, the teams are ran by better organisations and dont have team changes fueled by 16 year old Twitter drama.

Yeah, I know about the business deal with Activision, I remember at the MP reveal that CoD Ghosts was announced to be the only shooter in the 2014 circuit, but I think that might have been said wrong. Also, with how Titanfall's shaping up, after we get some basic eSports features (Private lobbies, spectator mode, if they're not in the final game as they're suspected not to be in), not picking up that game now is absolutely pointless.

Titanfall on XBO, CSGO on PC would cover both the major aspects of FPS, and I would love to see it.

Yeah, I know about the business deal with Activision, I remember at the MP reveal that CoD Ghosts was announced to be the only shooter in the 2014 circuit, but I think that might have been said wrong. Also, with how Titanfall's shaping up, after we get some basic eSports features (Private lobbies, spectator mode, if they're not in the final game as they're suspected not to be in), not picking up that game now is absolutely pointless.

Titanfall on XBO, CSGO on PC would cover both the major aspects of FPS, and I would love to see it.

Titanfall at MLG isint happening 

• Upvote (+1) 1

7 day competitive ban after killing a dick of a team mate twice lol. anyone know how long the next ban would be?

I know its not the thread for it, but what's your reasoning?

-More suited games with established viewership

-We dont know how competitive it will be after a few months play

-6 v 6

-MM system catered to the COD grind/casual viewpoint it seems

-None of those "esports features" have even been hinted at.

I guess I'l throw the question back, why should MLG pick it up?

-More suited games with established viewership

-We dont know how competitive it will be after a few months play

-6 v 6

-MM system catered to the COD grind/casual viewpoint it seems

-None of those "esports features" have even been hinted at.

I guess I'l throw the question back, why should MLG pick it up?

-Its a new IP that seems like it will do very well

-They said the could put eSports features in, while there isn't actually a good spectator mode right now in game, I don't know about the other basic ones.

-The game mechanics in itself are inherently mechanic. They didn't try to make this super competitive game, but there is a ridiculous amount of meta-game in Titanfall. Similar to how CoD4, Halo CE, etc, weren't designed to be the competitive games they were but ended up being amazing.

-It could easily be played as 5v5, as you know it's what CS has always done, and has succeeded at that.

-While subjective, it seems fun to watch and fun to play.

So yeah, if it gets LAN support and a spectator mode, I really don't see why this game couldn't excel competitively. For me, I'm having the most fun I've had on an FPS since MW2, which is saying something.

Of course, the series is new, and that will always be a downside to the game, as you don't know where the next installment will go.

It really comes down to established IPs like Counter-Strike, or newer IPs like Titanfall and perhaps Destiny, and the chance of Halo 5 being amazing. Also it comes down to PC vs Console, and as I said, I would love to CS fill the PC FPS role on the MLG circuit.

-Its a new IP that seems like it will do very well         Not a reason for MLG to drop a big game

-They said the could put eSports features in, while there isn't actually a good spectator mode right now in game, I don't know about the other basic ones. Seems like alot of ifs and buts

-The game mechanics in itself are inherently mechanic. They didn't try to make this super competitive game, but there is a ridiculous amount of meta-game in Titanfall. Similar to how CoD4, Halo CE, etc, weren't designed to be the competitive games they were but ended up being amazing. Good games have years of evolving meta, so therefore its contradictory to say that game has excellent meta after a few days of a beta

-It could easily be played as 5v5, as you know it's what CS has always done, and has succeeded at that. How do you know?

-While subjective, it seems fun to watch and fun to play. Not without a spec mode it isint

So yeah, if it gets LAN support and a spectator mode, I really don't see why this game couldn't excel competitively. For me, I'm having the most fun I've had on an FPS since MW2, which is saying something.

Of course, the series is new, and that will always be a downside to the game, as you don't know where the next installment will go.

It really comes down to established IPs like Counter-Strike, or newer IPs like Titanfall and perhaps Destiny, and the chance of Halo 5 being amazing. Also it comes down to PC vs Console, and as I said, I would love to CS fill the PC FPS role on the MLG circuit.

-Its a new IP that seems like it will do very well         Not a reason for MLG to drop a big game

-They said the could put eSports features in, while there isn't actually a good spectator mode right now in game, I don't know about the other basic ones. Seems like alot of ifs and buts

-The game mechanics in itself are inherently mechanic. They didn't try to make this super competitive game, but there is a ridiculous amount of meta-game in Titanfall. Similar to how CoD4, Halo CE, etc, weren't designed to be the competitive games they were but ended up being amazing. Good games have years of evolving meta, so therefore its contradictory to say that game has excellent meta after a few days of a beta

-It could easily be played as 5v5, as you know it's what CS has always done, and has succeeded at that. How do you know?

-While subjective, it seems fun to watch and fun to play. Not without a spec mode it isint

-I wasn't saying that Ghosts would necessarily have to be dropped. Aside from financial reasons, and the business deal that no one really knows all that much about, both could in theory be ran. 

-Yup, a lots of ifs and buts until the game actually drops and until we see how Respawn responds to feedback.

-Yup, metagame evolves over time, and I was merely predicting that Titanfall will have an extensive evolution of the game based on the movement/Titan mechanics alone.

-I don't, but that is my hunch that I'm asserting. 6v6 Competitive seems a little out of reach in terms of organizing players, however 5v5 seems doable. It really depends on what plays best.

-Yup. If it has a basic spectator mode it already is ahead of what Halo at the moment has.

Recently made the switch over to pc gaming and have been playing the shit out of go. Really enjoying myself as I learn the game. 

If any former halo players want to game with me send me a request on steam. My id is HighLght

Just about getting into the good stages of the EMS qualifiers. Felt like a bit of clusterfuck with the amount of teams participating but it's been narrowed down through a single elim bracket which is having bo3 quarter finals tonight:

18:00 GMT - no.gif H2k vs. se.gif TBA
20:30 GMT - se.gif oBG vs. no.gif Partyastronauts not being covered

20:30 GMT fr.gif Clan-Mystik vs. no.gif H2k in the Fnatic tournament will be covered instead

18:00 GMT - de.gif ALTERNATE vs. dk.gif ESC Gaming
20:30 GMT - dk.gif Reason vs. de.gif Wild Fire

Teams that win their series tonight will progress to next weeks 'Online Finals' that will determine who gets a spot in EMS One Katowice, I assume they'll finish out the bracket for seeding purposes.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Then tomorrow is a small event to celebrate Dreamhack opening their new studio:

csgoinvitational_w700_h247.jpg

Date: Friday 21st of February

Stream: www.twitch.tv/dreamhackcs

Format: Double Elimination Bracket, BO1
Maps: de_dust2, de_mirage, de_inferno, de_train, de_nuke

Teams
Sweden1.gif Ninjas in Pyjamas
Sweden1.gif Fnatic
7863906-France.gif Titan (former Very Games)
7863906-Denmark.gif über G33KZ (former Copenhagen Wolves)

Prizepool: $10,000
1. $7,500
2. $2,500

Schedule (GMT)

14:30 - start

15:15 Semi-final #1

16:30 Semi-final #2

17:45 WBF

19:00 LBF

20:15 Consolidation Final

21:30 Grand Final

English Stream Casters

Fredrik "Slop3" Wahlstedt - Host

Duncan "Thorin" Shields

Anders "Anders" Blume

Stuart "TosspoT" Saw

Tomi "lurppis" Kovanen

Going to be a great little tournament with arguably the top4 teams facing off.

Can someone tell me how compLexity's CS generally does? Don't know much about that portion of coL tbh. Top 3, top 8, etc

Col got 3rd/4th at the biggest event at the end of last year. They're unpredictable because they don't get the same level of practice as the EU teams but they have the talent to maintain top 4-6 and on their good days compete with the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Lx2igbMcs

EDIT; my second bet on csgolounge.com, put in my Glock thinking I wouldn't be arsed if I lost it. Realized after it'd doubled in value; fortunately it turned out alright in the end.

2w20aqs.jpg

Good article, thanks for linking it, good background info about these teams going into 2014 for newer viewers like myself.

Much easier to follow a team as well since they are alot more stable. Less 16 year old drama on twitter/twitch.

Update 21/2/14

OPERATION PHOENIX

• Started Operation Phoenix http://www.counter-strike.net/operationphoenix/
  • Operation Phoenix Passes are available for purchase. They provide access to:
    • Eight maps, chosen by the community, available on official CS:GO matchmaking for all game modes.
    • An upgradable Operation Coin, that tracks all competitive matchmaking statistics for the duration of the event.
    • Exclusive access to the new Operation Phoenix Case, with 13 Community-Created Weapon Finishes.

MISC

• Teammate Colors:
    • Added convar cl_color to allow players to set their preferred teammate color index.
    • Renamed teammate colors convar to cl_teammate_colors_show and added option to display Color Letters over teammate colors in competitive ("cl_teammate_colors_show 2").
    • Teammate preferred color can now be chosen when in a lobby and displays above player avatars.
  • Damage can no longer be done to teammates during a freeze period in any mode.
  • Fixed cs_baggage skybox texture.
  • Fixed cl_draw_only_deathnotices 1 and cl_teamid_overhead 0 not hiding the overhead player arrows.
  • Fixed player flair icons getting cropped on avatars in the lobby.

Aug and SG556

• Scope dot no longer fades too quickly during online play.
  • Scope dot is slightly more visible against bright backgrounds.
  • Scope dot is now tinted using the player's crosshair color settings.

MAPS

• Overpass

• Smoothed out movement on truck in Bombsite A
    • Simplified cover in bombsite B
    • Removed some trees in upper park
    • Smoothed out ground in canal
    • Removed small walls near playground entrance
    • Tweaked cover in playground
    • Small fence at birthday area no longer block bullets/grenades
    • Simplified corridor to CT sniper position
    • Improved player visibility
    • Improved performance
  • Nuke

• Made wallbanging through large metal doors consistent
    • Added back pretty lighting in bombsite B
    • Made it possible to throw grenades through skylights in warehouse
    • Fixed some graphical bugs

NETWORK

• Added support for threaded socket processing on clients and servers.
  • Significantly reduced the size of client connect packet to be below MTU.
  • Optimized split packet processing sequence.
  • Client address is no longer transmitted in official game events or saved in official GOTV demos.
  • Client P2P NAT requests are now always rejected when connected to a game server.

that redline AK and asiimov AWP skin are fucking hype. if i didn't have fire serpent i'd snatch that redline ASAP.

NiP vs Titan first clash of the year. Best of 1 on Nuke. Starting shortly.

http://www.twitch.tv/dreamhackcs

Leggo.

EDIT; well that was fucking awesome. Fnatic vs Dignitas (former CPH) up next

I'l be watching this later. Excited muchos