CyReN

Counter-Strike Discussion

There is NO WAY Call of Duty should turn into S&D only. It wouldnt even be COD anymore, would become the shitty console wannabe of CS

I mean this with no offense to the CoD community - but I laugh when I see this stuff after the past 2 or 3 CS majors because it's the same thing every single time. They see the success CS GO is having and its continuous growth and they go into a frenzy about how to make CoD as big as CS, well that is, if they haven't jumped on the CS GO bandwagon already with 0 knowledge about the game. 

I laugh at this because the CoD community at times says things and thinks with absolutely 0 logic behind their thoughts, posts, tweets, etc. Take a look at how CS GO has gotten to the point where it is (roughly in chronological order - doing this quickly)

- Releases in 2012, and is overall just an awful game. 

- Viewer numbers for tournaments and player numbers are extremely low 

- The Arms Deal Update (cases and skins) begins just about 1 year after the release of CS GO (major update which included skins & stattrak, the return of the silenced M4 and USPS, the CS GO workshop was announced, and the first eSports weapon case was introduced along with eSports keys to help fund CS GO tournaments)

- Player numbers and viewer numbers begin to increase

- The first CS GO major is announced in September to be played at DH Winter

- Competitive ranking system is introducted 

- Viewer numbers and player numbers continue to increase 

- Sticker capsules are introduced in February of 2014 

- 2nd major takes place in March 

- Viewer numbers and players continue to increase 

And this goes on and on and on up to where we are now. Oh - and the biggest underlying thing from this list? The game received continuous updates to make it an actual Counter-Strike game again. I really can't stress this enough. I don't think CoD fans realize that not only had CS (both 1.6, CZ and Source) been around for years and years before CS GO, but how big of a game it was for those years before both casually AND competitively. CS GO was so bad when it first came out that it turned away almost all players because it did not feel like a true Counter-Strike game.  If you played CS GO when it first came out, and played it as the updates came out - it was like you were playing a completely different game. Fan favorite weapons were added back into the game, improvements made to maps - and so on and son. 

CoD players seem to think that CSGO came out of nowhere because of skins and betting and that skins and betting and micro transactions are the 100% sole reason CS GO is where it currently is. That is just not the case. I was someone who played CS Source for about 1 year at the most casual level before CS GO came out. I remember being pumped for the game, and when it finally released - it felt nothing like a Counter-Strike game and just felt simply awkward to play. CS has risen up to where it is now for a multitude of reasons. It's skins, micro transactions & betting - it's the fact that you can watch tournaments inside the game - it's the fact that the game is a fucking amazing competitive game - and more. 

One thing the CoD community also needs to realize is that Counter-Strike, at it's core - has the simple concept of "attack & defend" as the foundation of it's game. Every single round matters and to simply follow that those 5 guys are trying to kill the other 5 guys with guns and plant or defuse the bomb is extremely easy to understand. The game because of the way it is played is "made to watch." In a way, it is in a literal sense (GOTV in game watching) - but this goes back to the previous sentence. I mean my God - I tried watching Advanced Warfare for 5 minutes and I had to turn the stream off. That game is like watching 8 flies with guns buzzing through the air shooting each other. I'm someone who is open to watching any game that is competitive but I cannot actually understand how people can watch that game and be excited. 

I know this is a lengthy post/rant but it's something I have thought about since the rage of the CoD community really started after the ESL One Cologne major last August. There are many reasons why CoD is not as big as CS. For one, it's PC vs console. Worldwide, PCs smash the number of consoles out there. The reasons I listed above (skins, the game being good, valve support, etc) contribute to CS GOs success, the game at its simplest form being extremely easy to watch brings in more viewers, and much more. Making competitive CoD SnD,as many others have said, would make it a poor mans CS and just become a worse game that it already somewhat is. Skins/cases in CoD will bring in players and viewers, but will not somehow save the game and knock CS off its throne. It comes to all the things I listed above and more as to why CS GO has been successful. The CoD community really needs to sit back and rethink everything they think they know about CS GO, because so many of the comments I read the people writing them just simply do not know what they are talking about. 

CS:GO was pretty rough when it released but Valve got their shit together and built it up. Its beginning to "modernize" and not in the shitty way Halo did. CS:GO is getting huge. 

Excellent post. The COD scene needs to STFU, I think they are just getting jealous now. The time of PC shooters is underway.

Like CS go is just special in the way that it is, someone once said to me "easy to learn, hard to master" which I think is amazing.

You watch every play these players make and you can only dream to be half as good as them.

Seeing the tides turn on this game because they swap sides is the essence of esports and what people love to watch, come backs.

I watched nip down like 12-4 come back to almost win but didn't have enough time to defuse and lost 16-14 and it was heartbreaking after the comeback.

But that's CS and the next major will be great, the leagues give you something in the meantime like ESEA and CEVO and it knows how to improve constantly.

Literally the only thing holding this game back is the matchmaking system. Cheaters/Smurfs are in all levels of play and valve doesn't seem to care enough to stop it.

This along with that playing casual is so much different than competitive just speaking on rules alone.

Literally the only thing holding this game back is the matchmaking system. Cheaters/Smurfs are in all levels of play and valve doesn't seem to care enough to stop it.

This along with that playing casual is so much different than competitive just speaking on rules alone.

Things like increased features in Overwatch (moving out of beta), team MM / improving casual mode will all eventually come, it's a matter of priorities because of how small the CSGO dev team is. Valve is the silent turtle, they'll never stop moving, but they progress REALLY REALLY slowly.

In the meantime if you can't bear it try alternatives like Faceit or ESEA where the skill will be pretty mixed but you should get decent games with fewer cheaters.

I'm getting a new pc in a few weeks and I'm going to start playing counter strike as soon as i get set up. will anyone be my sensei and show me the ropes of how to play the game? I've been watching a lot of tournaments on twitch and youtube videos so i have a general understanding of what's going on but i'd like someone to help me with strats and whatnot. I've never played keyboard mouse fps either, will it take me long to become a competent shooter? 

I'm getting a new pc in a few weeks and I'm going to start playing counter strike as soon as i get set up. will anyone be my sensei and show me the ropes of how to play the game? I've been watching a lot of tournaments on twitch and youtube videos so i have a general understanding of what's going on but i'd like someone to help me with strats and whatnot. I've never played keyboard mouse fps either, will it take me long to become a competent shooter? 

Go into it with an open mind and it shouldn't take you long at all. At the beginning - it's going to feel very odd, be very tough, and you will probably get stomped by some people. But do not let it discourage you. Once you get down aiming with a mouse and moving with your keyboard - it becomes muscle memory. My biggest recommendation is to play some deathmatch (free for all) servers and download some maps from the steam workshop that are specifically to help improve aiming.All you need to do is "subscribe" to the person who created the map on the steam workshop and you can play on it (similar to downloading a custom map on Halo). 

• Upvote (+1) 1

cheaters and smurfs are in all games at all levels. you wont escape it. Although I will agree the Matchmaking system could be better, but as Proto said, for higher competition just look to ESEA, Faceit and other leagues.

I agree with you Proto, everything you've said. Spot on. GGs, WP, NO RE.

I got you homie.

useful links -- http://pastebin.com/4f9kfhmi

beginner's guide -- http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/1s6pmc/for_all_the_new_players_csgo_beginners_guide/

callouts -- http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157442340

spray patterns -- http://twowordbird.com/articles/csgo-recoil-mechanics/

As a new player (like myself) you need to work on:

- aiming in open space

- crosshair placement

- map movement / which lanes to take

- map knowledge / where to peek and corners to check

- spray patterns

this is without even considering

- economy knowledge (what to buy, when to buy)

- team strats

- game sense (is that guy flanking me or going to cross to B )

the best thing to do is just play a toooon of community deathmatch. this will teach you aim. don't move while shooting.

so i guess i got 2 ESL souvenirs from watching the tournament during the nip vs envyus match on dust 2.

what do they do?

so i guess i got 2 ESL souvenirs from watching the tournament during the nip vs envyus match on dust 2.

what do they do?

Free to open, they have a random skin in from that maps collection I believe. You are a lucky duck, I haven't got one since the VP vs Nip finals at the Katowice the year before ;''}

Free to open, they have a random skin in from that maps collection I believe. You are a lucky duck, I haven't got one since the VP vs Nip finals at the Katowice the year before ;''}

oh wow. this is what i ended up getting.

XmyMMeA.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1