CyReN

Xbox One Discussion

Who here is waiting for Scorpio and who just went with a Xbox One S?

I'm pretty split.  I am going to be upgrading to a 4k TV for my Living room pretty soon.  I'm torn between the Scorpio and S.   Halo is basically one of the only reasons I have Xbox to begin with.  If Halo 6 comes to PC, I won't need a Scorpio, and the S would do the job of providing 4k media which is basically what my living room xbox does currently.   The S is also the cheapest 4k blu ray player on the market from what I know.   I can't make up my mind. 

Edit:  Also, am I the only one that doesn't like a white console?  I won't buy an S till they release a black version.  It would be an eye sore with all my other black settops in my TV stand. 

I'm interested in a Scorpio, but I'll wait for:

1) Price

2) Actual performance

3) Dev support

I'll also have to buy a 4K TV, so it's a large investment. Want to make sure it's worth it first.

I'm interested in a Scorpio, but I'll wait for:

1) Price

2) Actual performance

3) Dev support

I'll also have to buy a 4K TV, so it's a large investment. Want to make sure it's worth it first.

Do not buy a 4K TV. Just because the Scorpio can push 4K doesn't mean you'll watch/play anything in 4K. 1080p is still barely the standard. Wait a few more years and the 4K TV's will be half the price and then a worthwhile amount of games will be in 4K. The best thing 4K TV's have done is make 1080p TV's cheaper.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do not buy a 4K TV. Just because the Scorpio can push 4K doesn't mean you'll watch/play anything in 4K. 1080p is still barely the standard. Wait a few more years and the 4K TV's will be half the price and then a worthwhile amount of games will be in 4K. The best thing 4K TV's have done is make 1080p TV's cheaper.

For sure. When a top of the line PC with this generations newest cards still struggle at 4k/60 FPS, I have serious doubts about a console achieving that bench mark.

Yeah, my luck is more like this. I started out with 720p everything 3 years ago. Then 2 years after that, I make the transition to 1080p. Next thing I know, 4K. Unless people including myself really need/want to just wait. Or be like me when I wait too long to get a 4K setting and suddenly the next big resolution number is out.

Yeah, my luck is more like this. I started out with 720p everything 3 years ago. Then 2 years after that, I make the transition to 1080p. Next thing I know, 4K. Unless people including myself really need/want to just wait. Or be like me when I wait too long to get a 4K setting and suddenly the next big resolution number is out.

Well they've already made 8K TV's. The thing is, we've hit a tipping point in terms of resolution having a strong marketing value. No one really seems to care about 4K like people did for 720p and 1080p.

There's a great image out there that describes why but it uses another format. Basically, it's easy to see the difference between a face that is 10 pixels and a face that is 100 pixels. The same for when a face goes from 100 pixels to 10,000 pixels. But what about after that. After 10,000 pixels? Even if the face gets to 100,000 pixels, the difference is still not that noticeable since the 10,000 pixels face already looked like a photo.

The same is happening for resolutions now. 1080p is photo realistic enough to where anything as an improvement doesn't capture the attention of consumers like it did from 480>720 and 720>1080. After 1080p, resolution improvement are losing marketing value fast for both phones and TV's.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Seriously 8K TVs? You would have to be insane to want that. The only way I can see 8K making a difference is maybe for movie theaters, because the screen is so big. And even then, 99.9% of people wouldn't even notice a difference from 4K to 8K.

Btw I don't think Scorpio's goal is to achieve 4K AND 60 fps. From what I have read, it is up to developers to focus either on 4K or on 60 fps. I don't think Microsoft is thinking both are realistic for any video game on Scorpio.

Well they've already made 8K TV's. The thing is, we've hit a tipping point in terms of resolution having a strong marketing value. No one really seems to care about 4K like people did for 720p and 1080p.

There's a great image out there that describes why but it uses another format. Basically, it's easy to see the difference between a face that is 10 pixels and a face that is 100 pixels. The same for when a face goes from 100 pixels to 10,000 pixels. But what about after that. After 10,000 pixels? Even if the face gets to 100,000 pixels, the difference is still not that noticeable since the 10,000 pixels face already looked like a photo.

The same is happening for resolutions now. 1080p is photo realistic enough to where anything as an improvement doesn't capture the attention of consumers like it did from 480>720 and 720>1080. After 1080p, resolution improvement are losing marketing value fast for both phones and TV's.

8k will probably be the point where its "enough", I really dont think anything above 8k will make too much of a difference for consumer monitors. 

What I really want in a refresh-rate war so 120hz becomes a norm like 60hz is today. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

8k will probably be the point where its "enough", I really dont think anything above 8k will make too much of a difference for consumer monitors. 

What I really want in a refresh-rate war so 120hz becomes a norm like 60hz is today. 

The average person does not understand how big of a difference it makes.  Consoles plebs are just getting to the point where they are demanding 60 fps over 30.   60 fps is so inferior to 120 or 144.  The difference is mind numbing, and you get such an advantage out of higher refresh rates like 120 or 144.  I couldn't agree more, 120 needs to be the standard.  It needs to be the standard also without sacrificing color quality as well.     

Seriously 8K TVs? You would have to be insane to want that. The only way I can see 8K making a difference is maybe for movie theaters, because the screen is so big. And even then, 99.9% of people wouldn't even notice a difference from 4K to 8K.

Btw I don't think Scorpio's goal is to achieve 4K AND 60 fps. From what I have read, it is up to developers to focus either on 4K or on 60 fps. I don't think Microsoft is thinking both are realistic for any video game on Scorpio.

I kind of think they are aiming at 4k AND 60 fps.    Here's why I say that.   

By the time the Scorpio launches, PC gamers will already be pushing 4k games past 60 fps, on 4k monitors that support 120 or 144 hz.

Also, by the time Scorpio launches next year, they will probably be using something similar to a GTX 1080 which can nearly run 4k games at a stable 60 fps.    

The Scorpio will still launch behind the PC as usual, but I don't think it will be too far high end PCs.   High end PCs will just be getting more fps at 4k. 

If the Scorpio launches with a similar card to the GTX 1080, which it will be, it will be able to handle 4k @ 60 fps.  

cheapest way to get XBL?

gofundme.com

Make one and pray people help you. You can also wait for your birthday and get a gift card or something.

cheapest way to get XBL?

Cards go on sale from time you just have to watch out for them.

That green xbox 1 S tho

Sell your Xbox One

Get an Xbox S and save to build your own PC

EA access and gold beats the shit out of ps4 for me right now.

I want a ps4 eventually, but I think I'll wait for the pro. It'll be my fighting game machine. Won't use it often, but want the performance upgrade

• Upvote (+1) 2

good idea to wait for black friday sales to pick up an xbox or just go ahead and buy one whenever?

good idea to wait for black friday sales to pick up an xbox or just go ahead and buy one whenever?

With only a month to go, I would wait.