CyReN

Xbox One Discussion

I work for a fiber optic ISP that delivers IP based video service. We started experimenting with external HDs for DVR service on our set top boxes a few years ago. We were using the USB powered Western Digital Passport HDs, pretty similar to the HD in this link.

We deployed 100 of them and began seeing mass failure within 6 months. Almost all of them died within a year. We were having a WTF moment until it dawned on us that these types of USB drives were essentially backup HDs and weren't meant to be spun up all the time. The set top box was constantly using the drive while it was powered on so that pause live TV would work.

We ended up going with a more robust AC powered external HD that could stand up to more constant read/write. I'm not sure that it's a true 1-1 correlation but I believe that it stands to reason that the same principle might apply for a heavy XB1 user constantly accessing the storage on a USB powered drive. For what that's worth.

So a flash drive would be better then?

Yeah, both MS and Sony underestimated how much space games would be taking up. Doesn't help that all games are required to be installed, even from disc.

Luckily you can find decent sized external drives that will work like a charm with the X1.

I think they probably done it on purpose to try get some people to buy another console when they release with a bigger storage version down the line. I bet some people have gone and got the AW limited edition Xbox One despite already owning a 500GB version.

I really want to know the inner workings of gwg and ps plus and the difficulty of obtaining good games. Gwg has been a disappointment :/

Any one alse have lip sync problems in games?

I got h2a today (yes somehow i got it early, dont know why) and every cutscene is super annoying because the audio is not synced i dont know if this is the game or the xbox one, but it isnt my headset because it is still there if i use my screens speakers.

So this is happening I guess...

Idk, I think they are taking things out of context to be honest, and the comment sections never helps either.

I remember awhile ago (2013), they were talking about streaming games. They had Halo 4 running on multiple devices (including a Windows Phone). If I recall correctly they were more just seeing what they could do rather than actually making a streaming service.

It would be pretty cool if this came to fruition though.

I have strict NAT on my xbox one, 

and have been trying everything to fix it. 

i used to have moderate NAT on my xbox 360 too and i did fix that

but with the xbox one after everything it still stays on strict.

I fixed it on my 360 by port forwarding the ports but this does not help with the xbox one.

Any one have anny suggestions of what i could do?

I fixed it on my 360 by port forwarding the ports but this does not help with the xbox one.

You could set up a DMZ on your router and place the IP used by your Xbone in the DMZ. This usually works when all else fails. Best if you set up your Xbone to use a static IP address. There a tons of guides out there on how to do it.

You could set up a DMZ on your router and place the IP used by your Xbone in the DMZ. This usually works when all else fails. Best if you set up your Xbone to use a static IP address. There a tons of guides out there on how to do it.

Will setting up a static IP address 100% sort my nat type?

Will setting up a static IP address 100% sort my nat type?

Its not the static IP that fixes the NAT issue its the DMZ. The DMZ basically bypasses any firewalls or port restrictions. When you set up a DMZ on your router it will need an ip address to place in the DMZ. If you are using DHCP to assign IPs to your xbox it can and eventually will change addresses and then won't match the one you entered into the DMZ. That's why setting up a static IP on the Xbone is a better solution when you want to use a DMZ.

Its not the static IP that fixes the NAT issue its the DMZ. The DMZ basically bypasses any firewalls or port restrictions. When you set up a DMZ on your router it will need an ip address to place in the DMZ. If you are using DHCP to assign IPs to your xbox it can and eventually will change addresses and then won't match the one you entered into the DMZ. That's why setting up a static IP on the Xbone is a better solution when you want to use a DMZ.

Ill Try it out. Hope it works.

has any1 tried the xbox minipro controllers? opinion?

Curious as well

Anyone know how to turn off the auto-dim (happens after a brief time of inactivity) feature Xbox One has? It's annoying.

thnx finally go it to work. partly using DMZ and also turning ipv6 off. Atleast it is open for now, hope it will stay.

Go to Network on your Xbox One > test multiplayer connection > (don't click continue) press LB, RB, LT, RT at the same time until it moves on. That seems to work for me, opens my nat usually after 2 trys.

Both of my controllers now have broken left sticks. How can MS make them so fragile!?

Go to Network on your Xbox One > test multiplayer connection > (don't click continue) press LB, RB, LT, RT at the same time until it moves on. That seems to work for me, opens my nat usually after 2 trys.

thnx but that method didnt work for me. And also it is only temporary so like you said you have to do it very often. it is better to forward ports or try any other solution that is permanent.

thnx but that method didnt work for me. And also it is only temporary so like you said you have to do it very often. it is better to forward ports or try any other solution that is permanent.

Yeah I noticed it is only temporary too. No worries though.

Xbox one hit one today. A ton of free stuff they're giving away. Free sunset overdrive full game for 24 hours, backgrounds, gamer pics, free dragon Ball z battle of the gods, and other random prizes. I got limbo for free when it comes to the one. Make sure you check everything out!