CyReN

Xbox One Discussion

Has anyone tried out the new update yet?

Had it for a few weeks now - the Snap Center is simply amazing.

Had it for a few weeks now - the Snap Center is simply amazing.

Yeah, it's something that's definitely been needed. I missed the guide from the 360, this is similar so it's all good.

Im getting my xb1 on the release day of mcc. Will it be hard to setup/get used to? I haven't really even seen what they look like in the menu's.

Im getting my xb1 on the release day of mcc. Will it be hard to setup/get used to? I haven't really even seen what they look like in the menu's.

Why not get it a day before and learn everything before playing MCC?

The new update is awesome. Really nice to have friends activity on the dashboard so you don't have to load up the app. Also, the new threaded message feature is a godsend as well as the kinectless "record that' feature that was added.

I like the new update. Still wish they would add voice messages back. I think it would be sick if you could send video messages using the kinect.

The new update is awesome. Really nice to have friends activity on the dashboard so you don't have to load up the app. Also, the new threaded message feature is a godsend as well as the kinectless "record that' feature that was added.

Explain this record feature please?

double tap the guide button then hit X. pretty sure it records the last 30 seconds.

• Upvote (+1) 1

double tap the guide button then hit X. pretty sure it records the last 30 seconds.

What Bryan said. It's going to be nice to be able to finally take advantage of that feature of the X1. 

I'm disappointed that they removed the ability to watch new episodes of shows off of CW, that was kind of the point that I installed the app in the first place. And can I just rant about how those of us who were foolish enough to get the XB1 at launch only have the measely 500GB which in reality tops out at 362GB while those who are purchasing the bundles/new ones are getting the 1TB hard drives.

I'm disappointed that they removed the ability to watch new episodes of shows off of CW, that was kind of the point that I installed the app in the first place. And can I just rant about how those of us who were foolish enough to get the XB1 at launch only have the measely 500GB which in reality tops out at 362GB while those who are purchasing the bundles/new ones are getting the 1TB hard drives.

Yea had no clue how fast iI would fill up 500gb it sucks but pretty sure they added the external ssupport

Yeah, does anyone know if we can remove the 500GB hard drive and put in a purchased 1TB?

You can't but you can setup the 1TB hard drive as an external storage device (provided it's USB 3.0).

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, both MS and Sony underestimated how much space games would be taking up. Doesn't help that all games are required to be installed, even from disc.

Luckily you can find decent sized external drives that will work like a charm with the X1.

Saw a 3tb external drive for like $90 on amazon. You guys should check on there.

a link would be appreciated

I just had a thought. I wonder if Microsoft is going to update the snap app function to work seamlessly while you're gaming/streaming. It's annoying when one of your friends gets on and you're busy trying to do a raid or playing multi-player and it freezes while it snaps.

I work for a fiber optic ISP that delivers IP based video service. We started experimenting with external HDs for DVR service on our set top boxes a few years ago. We were using the USB powered Western Digital Passport HDs, pretty similar to the HD in this link.

We deployed 100 of them and began seeing mass failure within 6 months. Almost all of them died within a year. We were having a WTF moment until it dawned on us that these types of USB drives were essentially backup HDs and weren't meant to be spun up all the time. The set top box was constantly using the drive while it was powered on so that pause live TV would work.

We ended up going with a more robust AC powered external HD that could stand up to more constant read/write. I'm not sure that it's a true 1-1 correlation but I believe that it stands to reason that the same principle might apply for a heavy XB1 user constantly accessing the storage on a USB powered drive. For what that's worth.