Joseph

OT of Forge | What Are You Working On?

fleshed out the shotgun tower. hopefully i can keep the floor as grass but i doubt it. now i just need to budget the map and connect that to the big tower. 

R4wF5SG.jpg

wgapsFF.jpg

00D8kdL.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 5

alright guys, my map has reached a point where i'm in need of some brutally honest feedback. if shit ain't working, i wanna know, because i'm having doubts again and it feels like i'm the only one who sees it. 

anyone interested in poking around this weekend? 

alright guys, my map has reached a point where i'm in need of some brutally honest feedback. if shit ain't working, i wanna know, because i'm having doubts again and it feels like i'm the only one who sees it.

anyone interested in poking around this weekend?

I might be online today, but if I can't get on do you have a video of what you have so far? Would be interested to have a look at that if I can't get online.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I might be online today, but if I can't get on do you have a video of what you have so far? Would be interested to have a look at that if I can't get online.

i'll post another video later perhaps. 

dunno if i have you on my list. feels like none of my old friends have an xbox one (can't say i blame 'em).

my gt is A 3 Legged Goat 

fuck 4v4. started my 1v1 and i'm already in love. 

MTeUYHk.jpg

hqUX08f.jpgLchutkh.jpg

HU5oJlM.jpg

still working on the side paths so they don't end up being hallways again, but the basic flow is almost there. i actually think with some tweaks it can play a quick 2v2, and if the demand is there i'll try to gear it more towards 4v4. maybe scale it around the size of guardian so it still plays 1v1s well. 

• Upvote (+1) 9

You really got that forerunner theme on point on your maps @@Goat. Looking great so far, definitely an inspiration for me to build more themed maps.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You really got that forerunner theme on point on your maps @@Goat. Looking great so far, definitely an inspiration for me to build more themed maps.

i can't build without a theme, be it visual or geometrical. gameplay always comes first, so i start from set pieces that i think would be interesting to interact with. then i try to branch out from there and create routes that would make sense and flow well. i imagine how the player will move and where i can direct them. then i try to make those routes predictable so that the player makes important decisions in each area. the reason most of my stuff is unfinished is because i either milk these set pieces too much, run out of pieces to build the routes, or end up forging something i don't like and don't know how to fix. but i digress. 

i think even when a map is simple and "bare bones" as far as paths goes, it needs a theme to help drive its design. it helps players identify with and learn the map and it helps the forger build it. if things don't make sense structurally, they probably shouldn't be there. 

to me, a theme is a lot more than one cohesive aesthetic. it encompasses the "fiction" of the map - why it exists and what purpose it serves. halo ce's damnation blocked out would look like a boring bunch of blocks. the hallways and platforms, while functional, would feel somewhat random and disconnected. but if it's approached with the intention of being some kind of hydro plant - even if it's only being vaguely considered in the back of the designer's mind - they then know where to place windows, ledges, how to build a specific wall, what pieces to use to make it look industrial, etc. 

i'm not saying every map needs to fit like a jigsaw puzzle into a campaign space, and please dear god don't sit there and think of longass descriptions for your map (nobody remembers them). i just think having a personal understanding not only of how you want your map to play, but also of what you'd expect it to look like in engine will empower you while you build and inspire more creativity in the kind of designs you can accomplish. so think of less "asymmetric map with good height advantage" and more "flood containment chamber with multiple levels". because then you start to picture rooms and paths somebody might walk on within this room with all these aliens jumping at them and it helps influence paths they might want to take. 

but don't take my word for it cuz i never finish shit 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Back in Halo 4 I also started building many maps with a theme in mind first, although I always ran out of budget or specific objects so I could never finish it.

I still have a few themes mind, so I'll see what I can come up with for these themes design wise. I'll shoot you an invite when your on and when I got something built around a theme.

Here's a map I just made called "Urge". It's a small Damnation with a twist basically. 

Gamertag is "LowGi" if anyone wants it. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Here's a map I just made called "Urge". It's a small Damnation with a twist basically. 

Gamertag is "LowGi" if anyone wants it. 

pathwise it looks solid. a good streamline of damnation i'd say. 

i wouldn't say it's "small" though. in fact, quite the opposite. i'd personally descale it 1 or 2 units so some of those sightlines aren't so long. maybe mess with subtle elevation changes on some of the floors as well to further break up some sightlines and push players closer. 

piece wise, that one ramp by the BR spawn after you exit the teleporter could be positioned differently so you don't clip the side after you exit (the BR is also in a weird little corner that'd make it hard to grab so I'd move it). are the stairs bumpy? don't want grenades getting caught on them. 

if you can address any of these things and spice up one of the sides with some rocks/darker walls for orientation (maybe when you look up, part of the ceiling has rocks overhanging. throw some tree leaves in for vines too), i think you'll have a great map on your hands. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

pathwise it looks solid. a good streamline of damnation i'd say.

i wouldn't say it's "small" though. in fact, quite the opposite. i'd personally descale it 1 or 2 units so some of those sightlines aren't so long. maybe mess with subtle elevation changes on some of the floors as well to further break up some sightlines and push players closer.

piece wise, that one ramp by the BR spawn after you exit the teleporter could be positioned differently so you don't clip the side after you exit (the BR is also in a weird little corner that'd make it hard to grab so I'd move it). are the stairs bumpy? don't want grenades getting caught on them.

if you can address any of these things and spice up one of the sides with some rocks/darker walls for orientation (maybe when you look up, part of the ceiling has rocks overhanging. throw some tree leaves in for vines too), i think you'll have a great map on your hands.

Ayyy thanks for the feedback! I'll work on those things and I really do appreciate all the details on what could be better.

The stairs are more for looks and are pretty nonfriendly in terms of grenade bouncing and in smooth player movement from bottom to top. But are they really bad things? Over time players would naturally run up the railing to move and nade off them too. But I've been told by my friend that grenades don't work on the stairs as well. So if players want that trait in stairs like they would a ramp, I guess I should just make it a ramp instead? What do you think?

Ayyy thanks for the feedback! I'll work on those things and I really do appreciate all the details on what could be better.

The stairs are more for looks and are pretty nonfriendly in terms of grenade bouncing and in smooth player movement from bottom to top. But are they really bad things? Over time players would naturally run up the railing to move and nade off them too. But I've been told by my friend that grenades don't work on the stairs as well. So if players want that trait in stairs like they would a ramp, I guess I should just make it a ramp instead? What do you think?

as far as competitive halo maps go, you generally want to avoid building things that would make grenade throws unpredictable. if it's a floor or a wall within the playable space where a player would expect to throw a grenade, it should be as smooth as possible so the grenade goes where they want it to. this is one reason why the rock 2s and rock 3s from forge island were such good pieces; it's a nightmare to forge with the current rock palette because of how many pieces it takes to make them smooth. 

in reach, there was a way to make staircases with railings and then forge a 3x3 short or window coliseum over them. the invisible collision barrier on these pieces covered the staircase, so you still had the aesthetic but also with the function of a ramp. i'm not sure if there are pieces like that in H2A, but the technique was never that great on framerate anyway so i'd honestly just avoid it. to make the ramp less boring, you can angle railings in the corners and even make the ramp itself dark (doors, teleporter frames and platform xls have good black strips, although they require some clearance below). 

• Upvote (+1) 1

redesigned the middle and i think i'm more confident in where this is going. so soon maybe, after i mess with elevations and paths some more. 

BoXodzx.jpg

1RgfAiO.jpg

tdg8yIu.jpg

dCuTa2w.jpg

k5RaTbk.jpg

it's inevitable 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Updated my map Urge.

Here's a video:

v2 Update list.

-Changed staircase to a ramp.

-Redesigned the outside of the map to make it look more aesthetic.

-Redesigned teleporters to make them look more aesthetic.

-Cleaned up a lot of rooms to make them look more aesthetic.

-and then i show some nerd nade sweg aesthetic :kappa:

Download from my Gamertag: "LowGi"

Please let me know any thoughts or feedback on it, thanks dawgs.  ;)

• Upvote (+1) 2

To those who have seen it from game to game, I understand I have done this map to freaking death. But anyways, here is my map Antagonist, forged on Skyward (Awash left me disappointed). I will likely make a thread for it tomorrow

xboxdvr.com/Korlash823/f67d1911-95e5-408a-a3ec-c08f840176bd

sorry if there's no sound, wasn't coming up for me at least.

I take it you'll be submitting that for Forgehub's 1v1 contest? This map will be right up their alley.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I wish I enjoyed halo enough to forge again, seeing what you guys are doing these days is pretty interesting.

Hello together biggrin.png I just finished my Competitive  Map ,,Canyon " Today. So I am very interessted in giving it to you guys smile.png

N0iqlE4.jpg

►Name: Canyon

►inspired: by Zealot

►Canvas: Skyward

►Supported Gametypes: Slayer, CTF, KOTH

►FFA Can be also Played by Downloading the Map Canyon FFA.

►Description: Canyon is a normal size symmetrical map also built for competitive play . Created for Halo Championship serious and more .

►Gamertag: sG Strifes BR

►For more Screenshots :

https://imgur.com/ZM...576a5,RHGcxP5#0

Hope you enjoy the Map Strife smile.png

Have a concept for a map im working on but im really new to forge so if one of you experienced people wants to help me out I'd love to work with someone. Its going to be a competitive map thats kind of a hybrid between the bit and narrows, should be great for ctf and slayer. Let me know if you want to help me out a bit and maybe we can make something sweet