Joseph

OT of Forge | What Are You Working On?

last preview before i patch the holes and change some geometry. 

This is one of the most unique and interesting things I've seen on H2A Forge thus far. Give yourself a pat on the back, buddy.

Been reading around here and see a lot of you worried because certain items are still causing screen lag even with 60fps. I read in the patch notes for Thursday that H2A Forge will be getting "improved stability". Not sure what they mean by that, is it possible they are going to fix frame drops?

last preview before i patch the holes and change some geometry. 

(video)

Definitely a very unique Forge design, but I'm concerned that there isn't enough substantial geometry. It looks like a lot of hallways with pillars scattered throughout as opposed to fleshed out platforms, rooms, walls, etc. Obviously this is all just from watching your walkthrough, and I could be off base.

Definitely a very unique Forge design, but I'm concerned that there isn't enough substantial geometry. It looks like a lot of hallways with pillars scattered throughout as opposed to fleshed out platforms, rooms, walls, etc. Obviously this is all just from watching your walkthrough, and I could be off base.

not off base. something has been bugging me for a while and i found out what it was, so this particular design is being reworked. the fundamental of the middle being the main control point with side platforms aiding in that control was lost through iteration and i don't like how open it was feeling. instead of putting interesting platforms around it, i blocked off everything with straight walls. i also ended up with too many dead corners near the bridges.

i'll never commit to a design that has a problem which is why i rarely finish maps. i want to weed out fundamental problems early on so when it comes to testing, i'm only changing spawns and weapons. if i'm altering significant geometry after feedback, then the design is flawed and it's dropped. good maps build themselves; if i'm trying to force something to look right, it never will. 

i'm not interested in making a bunch of boring hallways, so i'm throwing it back in the pan to reroll the set pieces. i think this time i wont do the angled bridges because in this version they're completely useless. 

i'll probably just keep the center piece and redo everything else. i like the man cannon rooms but the area they lift to is terribly simple. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

not off base. something has been bugging me for a while and i found out what it was, so this particular design is being reworked. the fundamental of the middle being the main control point with side platforms aiding in that control was lost through iteration and i don't like how open it was feeling. instead of putting interesting platforms around it, i blocked off everything with straight walls. i also ended up with too many dead corners near the bridges.

i'll never commit to a design that has a problem which is why i rarely finish maps. i want to weed out fundamental problems early on so when it comes to testing, i'm only changing spawns and weapons. if i'm altering significant geometry after feedback, then the design is flawed and it's dropped. good maps build themselves; if i'm trying to force something to look right, it never will. 

i'm not interested in making a bunch of boring hallways, so i'm throwing it back in the pan to reroll the set pieces. i think this time i wont do the angled bridges because in this version they're completely useless. 

i'll probably just keep the center piece and redo everything else. i like the man cannon rooms but the area they lift to is terribly simple. 

Glad to see that you're committed so extensively to really hammering down the design. Too many Forgers have the "release now, update later" mentality, which only makes their maps lose steam really quickly. A lot of Forgers fail to recognize that regular forum-goers don't (and shouldn't have to) have the patience or initiative to stay up to date with every Forge map they come across.

If it interests you, I'd love to see how your map progresses as you try to settle into the design and potentially give feedback throughout those stages. If not, I completely understand - I tend to keep to myself with WIPs  ^_^

• Upvote (+1) 1

Glad to see that you're committed so extensively to really hammering down the design. Too many Forgers have the "release now, update later" mentality, which only makes their maps lose steam really quickly. A lot of Forgers fail to recognize that regular forum-goers don't (and shouldn't have to) have the patience or initiative to stay up to date with every Forge map they come across.

If it interests you, I'd love to see how your map progresses as you try to settle into the design and potentially give feedback throughout those stages. If not, I completely understand - I tend to keep to myself with WIPs  ^_^

yup, in Reach my first few maps reached version 10 before i told myself that i don't want to do that anymore. i don't even want to have to update a map after it's "released". spawns, weapons, and exploit zones should all be pristine by the time it's ready for download, and that's on top of final geometry. i don't want to make a simplex where every time i play on it there's a different path or jump somewhere. 

i have a hard time thinking of a good halo map because it's usually followed by a "this map is good, but it'd be better if this was fixed or this was different". lockout's elbow, midship's lack of orientation, sanctuary's rock garden, etc. i don't want to have those kinds of feelings about my map. it annoys other people though because i'm essentially chasing perfection. i see "the map" in my head, but getting it down in engine is extremely challenging, especially with H2A's framerate problems. 

i don't mind showing you around as i work on things. the more people that come in and call me out on the current design, the better. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

7B634276-46D1-4BDB-9057-68F19D9854F8_zps

D8DE91C3-D738-4227-B8FB-D3A18D9B4C03_zps

Took a step back and really analyzed the size and flow of what I had made. Ended up scrapping most of it and starting over. I kept certain elements that I liked and moved others closer together. Really liking how this version of Cerberus is turning out. :)

Ended up scrapping most of it and starting over. I kept certain elements that I liked and moved others closer together. 

my-nigga.gif

that's the way to do it. looking good. 

am also in the scrap-redesign phase and i think i might have improved my flow for it as well. am trying to limit pieces, add more verticality and intelligent pathing, and bring my map closer to the original visual theme i had for it.

i'm just worried that H2A's overshield isn't all that great. by the time you've picked it up and made a push, you've lost a quarter of it to the time decay. it shouldn't decay until you shoot.

my-nigga.gif

that's the way to do it. looking good.

am also in the scrap-redesign phase and i think i might have improved my flow for it as well. am trying to limit pieces, add more verticality and intelligent pathing, and bring my map closer to the original visual theme i had for it.

i'm just worried that H2A's overshield isn't all that great. by the time you've picked it up and made a push, you've lost a quarter of it to the time decay. it shouldn't decay until you shoot.

It's taking every ounce of will power not to start adding contrast pieces, aesthetics, and the like. Just blocking everything out using blocks and ramps. :)

That is why you should just never release them. :P

• Upvote (+1) 3

New article on my web site showcasing the new forge palette...

http://www.forginghalo.com/Halo2a/immersionbegins

Nice article GreenGun. I think a lot of forgers let their first impressions get in the way of really analyzing the capabilities of H2A forge. I won't say it's everything we wanted, but there has been significant improvements without a doubt.

I'm personally a fan of the lighting on Skyward as the shadows aren't as hard. But just as long as you pay attention to how much light you're letting in your map on Awash it's good. And the water opens up some real creative opportunities.

I feel like I'm playing Minesweeper when it comes to avoiding frame rate. 

wrong object and b o o m youre dead

• Upvote (+1) 2