Joseph

OT of Forge | What Are You Working On?

What I did was I streamed to twitch from the xbox 1. Then I got on my computer and went into the settings on twitch to enable past broadcasts, I also linked my youtube to twitch. Then after I flew through my map I ended my stream and the most recent past broadcast was my map fly through, so then I made a highlight of the broadcast and exported it to youtube from twitch. It's easy to do to from twitch. Then I posted the youtube url on the forums and it shows the map fly through.

I've never streamed on twitch before (or had a youtube channel for that matter), but that sounds like a great idea. I hope something like this becomes the norm instead of having to take a half a dozen screenshots (I highly doubt this will work as it has been anyway)

I was sort of hoping that the new forge would allow us to make maps sort of like...

FD_TheDominance.jpg

I dont know what the palette includes entirely, but Countdown walls and doors would have been slick inside something like this.

But I do suspect we could now make maps similar to...

reach_24902315_Full.jpg

I want to show you this screen shot from War Island. In this pic we see the cement texture applied to creating a garage structure. What I want to point out is that this cement structure is EXACTLY what we have been needing from the dawn of forge. It is what will help our maps become immersive - not because there is cohesion between the various pieces, not because there is a lack of visual noise, but because we can readily identify with structures made of cement from our every day lives.

This is the first step in creating a forge palette that is fully immersive. There are more steps to be sure. And I hope 343 will consider taking those steps.

I honestly believe that we can begin to make some of our maps look like they are not forged, even if they are obviously forged.

h2aImmersiveQualities_zpse972a1fa.jpg

Specifically notice the following features. Though the blocks present lines between them, how many structures do we see in real life that also have lines that give a block appearance? The metallic braces also look very realistic as part of a structural design, and perhaps more so for a garage than an office building.  Consider the following pictures from down town Honolulu.

sample2_zps45844610.jpg

sample1_zps3b1d28e7.jpg

The key to cement textures being immersive is that we see them everywhere and when done right in a forge palette helps us see structures as structures rather than as blocks. Two thumbs up for CA on their choice of textures. Absolutely no doubt about it. This is the right direction even if just a baby step.

• Upvote (+1) 3

cement is good.... if you're building human structures. sucks ass for forerunner architecture, which is darker and more metallic. there aren't many pieces in H2A that are dark or metallic, and most of them are green tint, which reflects too much compared to the gray tinted pieces (wall coli). 

the least they could have done is offer darker colors like Guardian or Avalanche.  

Yellow_Lift_Overlook.jpgnews_H3_LegDLC_Avalanche03.jpg

55964997-Full.jpg

@@Goat, you are correct, and I also asked 343 for such pristine metallic forerunner palettes in Forge 5. But this is clearly the right direction for human structures even if simplistic. You couldn't make any cleanly recognizable forerunner structures in Reach with the Forge World palette. Affinity is the closest that we came to a forerunner immersive structure, and that was obviously blocky everywhere you looked.

@@Goat, you are correct, and I also asked 343 for such pristine metallic forerunner palettes in Forge 5. But this is clearly the right direction for human structures even if simplistic. You couldn't make any cleanly recognizable forerunner structures in Reach with the Forge World palette. Affinity is the closest that we came to a forerunner immersive structure, and that was obviously blocky everywhere you looked.

depends on what you built. the palette used bungie's forerunner aesthetic from the original trilogy, which made some of the pieces look a lot better for that kinda thing. you couldn't make giant towers without some conflicting textures, but small stuff and bases were fair game. 

i just want them to make all the pieces one flat base. these blocks are good for building structurally since they merge neatly, but aesthetically they take me out of it, especially since there aren't many pieces we can use as floors or walls to contrast them.  we need texture skins like cement, ancient, metal, UNSC, Forerunner, and Covenant that we can toggle like the piece color.   

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@Goat I am loving it... Looking really good.

thanks. my buddy hopped in and threw the map on its head so i have a better idea of where the flow is going. gonna move those man cannons and add a route to jump to from the OS rock. 

really excited for this map. going for that frantic slayer/hill kinda gameplay and i think it'll play richochet and flag well. 

I'm not sure i'll be able to find a use for the blocks lol. At least on Awash, they are just made of stone and match barely anything. Plus, they have the faded white strip on both sides of the block (or colored strip, if you like that).

some more stuff. i'm gonna rebuild it to make it cleaner and descale it slightly. also want to raise some of the doors and rework a few paths to make it more predictable. then it's just a matter of optimizing the piece usage and balancing that with the aesthetics. 

anything can happen at this point. if there's a path i have doubts about, i'm scrapping it. 

rBGy8pj.jpgvmtJA9A.jpgq6G8xxh.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2

Looks damn good. Will this map be symmetric?

this one's mirror symmetric with potentially asym geometry if i can get away with it. next map will probably be asym, but i don't go crazy with asym designs. less is always more IMO

So how bout that forge,

Forging at large seems pretty dead comparitively these days, anyone doing anything interesting?

I've been planning and practicing a competitive non-midship medium-sized arena, for months, using h4 forge to test ideas. I have the design 80% complete and forged up. Im working on it every day and hope to have it released in a week or two.

Need to decide on a name, here are some ideas so far;

Environ (means surrounded)

Tellus or Telos?

Surface

Or any other suggestions

Chur!

Finally got some gameplays and a fly-through of my map on Youtube:

Here is a simple walk/fly-through of the map for quick orientation:

Here is a 2v2 gameplay with an epic comeback from being down 10-0:

Here is a 2v2 gameplay of me playing very well on the map:
  • Upvote (+1) 2

So, basically the chances of me getting an xbox one are pretty much zero due to being broke. lol

So today I have tried to gather some screenshots of old wip's of mine and hopefully it will inspire some of you in any way. (Sorry for the low quality pics though)

So here goes:

IMG_2421_zps3346d21f.jpg

IMG_2422_zps804fdcd1.jpg

IMG_2426_zps556689b1.jpg
IMG_2427_zps09c26cb4.jpg

IMG_2433_zpsc22e86d8.jpg

IMG_2435_zpscbf4d5a1.jpg

IMG_2436_zps78f020b5.jpg

IMG_2441_zps72cbcb44.jpg

IMG_2443_zpscc319429.jpg
IMG_2444_zps947ed256.jpg

IMG_2448_zps8f16e18d.jpg
IMG_2447_zpscb2e037c.jpg

If anyone would like to see more of a certain map then just let me know, I will try to provide some more if I have anything else to show of the map.

• Upvote (+1) 5

its a nice thought, but I doubt you'd want them to end up looking like a brown paper bag

thanks certain affinity 

• Upvote (+1) 1

2428A7BD-7A32-4DE0-B530-9E8D93A9A6B2_zps

845CF886-F635-4694-8BDC-94020547BDE4_zps

Cleaning up the lower level flow... going with and an open and closed side or offensive and defensive side. Is anyone else having trouble adjusting to making halo 2/3 size maps again?

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I was told a lot of the forgers came to these forums. If you remember me message me on here for sure. WE BACK ON DAT HALO GRIND. Future forge projects soon

• Upvote (+1) 4

having a hard time isolating framerate problems in forge. am wondering if i should hope for a framerate patch or something before i compromise my map. 

sucks so much that inclines and most terrain pieces are "taboo" because of framerate drops

So, with scripting, we should be able to make octagon where standing at the back corner spawns only the spawn point farthest from you like it Halo 3. All you have to do is set the spawn points to a channel and make the other side spawn you there by using a script