Joseph

OT of Forge | What Are You Working On?

Hey guys. Just dropping in because I have seen a few forge maps for MCC and I have one issue with them. 

Halo 2 Anniversary plays nothing like Halo Reach/4 and should have much different map design.

Pretty much every map I have seen features wide open sightlines, large overall space, and long areas between "cover." They look exactly like the type of designs popular to Halo 4 forgers. These elements were essential to counteracting the crappy effects of sprint and slow kill times but ultimately, they need to be changed in H2A.  H2A is much like Halo 2/3 in that it is about map control and easy to control areas become overpowered quickly. Halo Reach and 4 didn't share this problem because map control isn't a thing in those games.

Therefore, when forging, keep in mind the scale of Halo 2 maps and how campy they play if there are not good push options. Every map I have seen is at least as big as sanctuary which slows to a crawl in slayer and even objective sometimes. These designs are fine when you can get from point A to point b shrugging off shots like they are nothing, but when sprint is not present, you cannot blindly push because you will die to team shot almost immediately. 

We need to go back to a late Halo 3 style map design with forge. We are so used to compensating for the new movement mechanics that we are not designing our maps to play to Halo 2 A (at least from what I have seen so far). Keep in mind the setting you are designing for. 

Cheers!

• Upvote (+1) 3

According to the CA video, we will have full forge palettes on every canvas, like Stonetown. I believe @@Veto wanted to do some serious forging on Stonetown to make it 4v4 or 2v2 by limiting the map boundaries, and he shouldn't have any problems doing this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So here is an idea if anybody can figure it out. Use the trigger area on/off scripting objects to make it where certain areas are completely blocked when there is an enemy there. Like make it where the trigger covers a whole spawn area and make it where it turns all those spawns off by setting them to the same channel. 

Only problem I can think of is how you would make it where it doesn't turn off when your team is in the trigger area. 

EDIT: 

Another idea is a toggle switch that activates one spawn area and deactivates another. So you could make your team spawn on one side rather than the other or an enemy could hit it to make a spawn trap easier

Or make a place you can stand that makes it where all other spawn points are deactivated when you are in it, meaning you would have a H1 style spawn system where they can only spawn next to you. Probably would break in anything other than 2v2 tho

Random thought for a casual map: Use a switch that toggles the strength of the gravitation in a specific area which is seperated by 2-way shields which disappear as well if you toggle back to standard gravitation.

new rocks are sooooo bad. framerate drops with the tan ones and nothing is as flat or versatile as the rocks from Forge Island. 

@@Goat - what about the huge blocks and terrain pieces?

cliffs drop framerate.

i don't think i'm going to forge in this game. too many framerate problems and the palette is hideous. 

Anyone know if someone  is doing a Colossus remake on H2A.I played it in H2C the other day for the first time in years and I honestly think its a pretty solid map. A search didn't bring anything up here, but if someone knows another place where its being discussed please link me.

I'm finding framerate to be problematic, personally.

Forge h2a?

What about forge 3 on sandbox? Is the frame rate similar to that on xb 360? And did they add merge to forge 3?

I'm finding framerate to be problematic, personally.

it's embarrassing

-magnets drop framerate

-cliff pieces drop framerate

-editing terrain or brown rocks anywhere near terrain causes major framerate drops for anyone in your session. it's like the reach grid in the island x10[fps]

-energy swords and carbine reload drop framerate

if you want to forge in H2A you shouldn't even care about framerate drops except obvious object density ones. there's too many to isolate. 

it's embarrassing

-magnets drop framerate

-cliff pieces drop framerate

-editing terrain or brown rocks anywhere near terrain causes major framerate drops for anyone in your session. it's like the reach grid in the island x10[fps]

-energy swords and carbine reload drop framerate

if you want to forge in H2A you shouldn't even care about framerate drops except obvious object density ones. there's too many to isolate. 

Embarrassing indeed. What's the use in having 650 objects if by the time you hit 400 the frames start dropping. In any case, I will say we did ask for this; to have our selection of objects and to be able to handle framerate ourselves.

I completed my Zealot, and there are some frames, but they're only really there if you're looking for them.

Forge h2a?

What about forge 3 on sandbox? Is the frame rate similar to that on xb 360? And did they add merge to forge 3?

Yeah, H2A. Honestly not going to forge on H3, so you'd be better off asking someone else.

Didn't they showcase a huge map with several islands in it? You'd think they'd noticed a frame rate issue

If you look back at the video, they definitely moved unbelievably slow. But the framerate probably has more to do with how many objects there are in one specific area, and as they had spread the objects out, I don't think framerate would be that big of an issue comparable to throwing 500 objects in an area the size of a grid.

But I dunno, i don't actually know how exactly frames work tbh. //shot 

Certain Affinity did not do a good job with forge in H4 or H2A imo. 

I agree, but honestly I like the look of Halo 4 better than H2A. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

So, despite my sheer disappointment in MCC's launch, I think I'll be getting the game tonight. I am going deeper into the gaming world where developers don't give a shit about performance and functionality, and I'm worried I'll regret it.

All I feel like forging atm is remaking my map Antagonist again, as I haven't forged on months. Thankfully I get to test my skills in repelling framerate, yet again!

I completed my Zealot, and there are some frames, but they're only really there if you're looking for them.

Have you tested the map for 2's/4's though? Grenade explosions are a popular frame-rate trigger for Halo Reach at least. I would say zooming in w/ the sniper as well, but I don't think that'll affect Zealot that much.

Not sure why I bothered asking already lol. But anyways, I'd still be pretty weary when you get a chance to play it.

Not sure why I bothered asking already lol. But anyways, I'd still be pretty weary when you get a chance to play it.

I played a 4 player FFA on it; that's where the frames are only noticeable if you're looking. At the end of the day, I doubt it's dropping below 55 fps, if even that much.

So how bout that forge,

Forging at large seems pretty dead comparitively these days, anyone doing anything interesting?

• Upvote (+1) 2

So how bout that forge,

Forging at large seems pretty dead comparitively these days, anyone doing anything interesting?

I just finished a 1st version of a map I had originally made in Halo: Reach. I've had people play on it (TS and CTF). Good reviews so far. I need forgers to play on it though, so I can get their advice. 

http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?/topic/7719-channel-inverse-symmetrical-2-base-competitive-map/

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

(Had to take pictures with my phone since 343's file share/screenshot system is broken)

I'm spying a couple MLGpro'ers here B)

Anyhow, I've noticed people have been sharing recorded clips of MCC gameplay over xboxclips.com. If this is as easy as I suspect it to be, then I think it would be shit-tons easier to just capture a mini-flythrough of your map for map threads.

Although, two problems I see are that I think they're only 30 seconds long and I also don't think they can be embedded.

Just a thought I guess.

I'm spying a couple MLGpro'ers here B)

Anyhow, I've noticed people have been sharing recorded clips of MCC gameplay over xboxclips.com. If this is as easy as I suspect it to be, then I think it would be shit-tons easier to just capture a mini-flythrough of your map for map threads.

Although, two problems I see are that I think they're only 30 seconds long and I also don't think they can be embedded.

Just a thought I guess.

What I did was I streamed to twitch from the xbox 1. Then I got on my computer and went into the settings on twitch to enable past broadcasts, I also linked my youtube to twitch. Then after I flew through my map I ended my stream and the most recent past broadcast was my map fly through, so then I made a highlight of the broadcast and exported it to youtube from twitch. It's easy to do to from twitch. Then I posted the youtube url on the forums and it shows the map fly through.

• Upvote (+1) 1