Joseph

OT of Forge | What Are You Working On?

Pretty excited for the new forge features in H2A. I'm hoping to bring back some of my maps from Reach and Halo 4 and try to improve on the designs. I'll try to get some sketches or something for you guys to check out. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm not really a forger but today I listened to a good podcast with the Max Hoberman who worked on a lot of the Halo 2 and Halo 1 maps and he talks about a lot of the concepts/rules he wanted maps to oblige to.  These concepts wound up giving us maps like Lockout and Midship.  If anyone is interested here's a link to the podcast and maybe it can help you guys with map design.  http://feeds.ign.com/ignfeeds/podcasts/xbox360/

• Upvote (+1) 3

Don't know if you guys have seen this yet, but dude jumps into forge and goes through a lot of the pieces and shows off the two new blank environments (Skip to about 1:10:00). 

WARNING:  I feel obligated to warn you that he has a pretty low forge proficiency level, so prepare yourself for hair pulling, teeth grinding, and tears of frustration as you watch him place objects and go in detail about things you don't wanna know about and breeze over a lot of things you do.  <_<

What I got out of it.

• Real trees and a lot of varity of them
  • Huge grass platform (10x10ish maybe)
  • Blocks get a few additional pieces and are one solid texture (concrete -no stupid vents, grids, lines, and extra noise))
  • 10x10 blocks (FINALLY big blocks)
  • A couple new items in decorations items (trim and glass panels)
  • some new Wall items (not previewed)
  • new inclines (not previewed)

Everything he showed is in the space environment, so it's pretty dark and all the pieces has that chocolate brown look of Erosion :( but in the other environments they're more concrete colored...

I really hope the block pieces merge together without any z fighting and if we can find some decent contrasting pieces to wash away all that tan/brown.  Initial reaction to the palette color scheme was Sandbox meets Erosion...  Only time will tell I suppose.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm pretty excited to see some pretty badass competitive One Bomb/Flag maps since you have all these new button switches at your disposal. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I have considered for at least a week now to buy an XB1 for Mcc. However, the night I was ready to buy it (last night, that is), it finally clicked that I would be dropping an insane amount of money just to play it (I believe $350 + 60 + 60) on top of money for a new HDTV and the inevitable purchase of the super smash bros wii u bundle (plus another Smash Gc controller).

I just can't tell if this will be worth the purchase or not. I don't know if that nostalgic feeling will be back. If anything, I might wait until early next year.

I still have to get up to date on what the new forge is bringing though.

:weback:

lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

Here is a link to some of the objects:

http://m.imgur.com/a/UBYOn

Shoutout to @@Moa for those!

Based on the screenshots I can definitely see some nice usage already for some pieces, but not happy with the overall general look of the pieces. They do not compliment eachother very well imo as they all have the same pattern

The brace large has a nice long line on it that can be used to wall off an area and to indicate the side you are on very well. Do use the brace large only once though and definitely do NOT stack them vertically up. Also make the line be at the level of which the spartan sees without looking up or down. An early tip for new forgers ;)

Can't wait for H2A Forge!

One thing I've wanted to do since H3 Forge but never got around to doing so was recreating maps from Metroid Prime Hunters, which has some pretty cool maps. With a little tweaking to fit competitive Halo, maps like Harvester should be really cool to try out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can't wait for H2A Forge!

One thing I've wanted to do since H3 Forge but never got around to doing so was recreating maps from Metroid Prime Hunters, which has some pretty cool maps. With a little tweaking to fit competitive Halo, maps like Harvester should be really cool to try out.

loved that game and i totally agree. some of the maps would make great halo maps, like Ice Hive and VDO Gateway

You guys better be making some bomb ass maps once the game drops.

really excited for my first map.

Why is the texture sooooo pink?

i like the pink   :moa:

loved that game and i totally agree. some of the maps would make great halo maps, like Ice Hive and VDO Gateway

Yeah I gotta go through the map selection and find my favorites. Just thinking about these maps takes me back. Gonna have to find my copy of Hunters to truly get these maps right!

magnets are broken, holy shit.

dominion shields are still in btw. the small and medium one are renamed to infection shield. 

elaborating on magnets issues: 

-when you rotate a piece with coordinates while you have it snapped to an object with magnets enabled, it unsnaps. this didn't happen in halo 4

-magnet snap isn't as accurate or predictable as halo 4

-using magnets drops the framerate when you're moving a piece in an area with other pieces, even if it's not very dense. 

I find the lack of pictures of awesome creations disturbing. Somebody post something please, I am really curious! :p

I find the lack of pictures of awesome creations disturbing. Somebody post something please, I am really curious! :P

I'll post a sample of what I am working on when I get home. Recreating a map Triumph but now that I have a suffice number of pieces I can make it a lot better :D

• Upvote (+1) 1

I find the lack of pictures of awesome creations disturbing. Somebody post something please, I am really curious! :P

Dont want to give away my ideas yet.

• Upvote (+1) 1

My forger friends probably won't wanna make this but I was thinking

What if there was an octagon map, where in the middle of the map, on the floor, you can switch between medium,small and large octagon arena? 

Just a thought....I would def use that..

My forger friends probably won't wanna make this but I was thinking

What if there was an octagon map, where in the middle of the map, on the floor, you can switch between medium,small and large octagon arena? 

Just a thought....I would def use that..

Do it :D