Joseph

OT of Forge | What Are You Working On?

...And on another note, here's this pic.

aXZujpf.jpg

It's from a map I did. Not sure if I should post it, as it is for King of the Hill and Oddball only, and has a single vehicle in it.

Hmm, my only issue just from the image is that the floor textures are a bit distracting. Aside from that, it looks quite interesting and seems like it'd be fun to play on.

Am I wrong to assume this map would work well as a 2v2?

• Upvote (+1) 1

71b3mVG.png

Some random map design I made in paint, not sure if good, not sure if people can tell what's going on lol.

Reminds me of Scythe a bit.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Almost done with my prebuild of Constricted (OG Select) for H2A.

Only real changes to the map are the design of the bases, which are more in line with a certain other map I co-forged (although was never credited)...

post-1436-0-66433500-1412260623.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 2

Guys, we have like a page of good forge discussion then someone comes out of left field to bump a old convo and discuss forge politics and rules with staff. Please just take it to PM.

Please don't make alternative accounts too.

Thanks.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Guys, we have like a page of good forge discussion then someone comes out of left field to bump a old convo and discuss forge politics and rules with staff. Please just take it to PM.

Thanks.

It's already over man, no worries. ;)

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's already over man, no worries. ;)

You're fine, meant other posters.

Keep up the good discussion guys, 39 days!

• Upvote (+1) 3

People tend to draw so they can build with the entire layout known. I've never found the ability to do that.

I do this.

I use custom-printed graph paper, where each square represents a 1x1 block piece (see attached). It really starts to help when you are familiar enough with the scale of other non-block pieces relative to a 1x1 block (or a grid-based system based on that scale as a control).

Then, I can sketch things out and sort of Forge it in my mind as I go along. Erasing a couple lines and drawing them again elsewhere or in a different way is a lot easier and quicker than redoing a section of a map in Forge. Of course, there are almost always unforeseen issues even after I've perfected the sketch; things that you can easily overlook due to not having a tangible 3d representation of your creation in front of you, but those issues are usually very easily surmountable.

By80nraCUAA-LKw.png

• Upvote (+1) 4

Thanks.

My bad. I left the tab open when I left work, so I really didn't realize it was as old a convo as it is/was.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Almost done with my prebuild of Constricted (OG Select) for H2A.

Only real changes to the map are the design of the bases, which are more in line with a certain other map I co-forged (although was never credited)...

Map name is not the greatest. I understand you're trying to use synonyms, like most remakes do, but you used a synonym of the wrong definition of "narrow(s)" here.

The Halo 3 map name "Narrows" refers to a narrow corridor or channel, not the adjective "narrow". A more apt name would be "Channel(s)" or "Passage" or something like that. Or even "Constriction" instead of "Constricted" maybe.

As for the map itself: it look phenomenal! Better than I'd be able to pull off, anyway. I'm not great at remakes; I have a symmetrical Guardian-inspired map that is unplayble due to Impact's screen lag / frame rate issues (well, for competitive play anyway), but even that strayed from Guardian quite a bit in some areas; sometimes due to having a different vision for the map, other times because I just couldn't be arsed to re-create it faithfully lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I'm thinking of posting some old designs here and aesthetic ideas that you guys can use. I will most likely not buy an xbone/mcc as I just do not have the money right now to buy one. So stay posted on that.

Anyway I still do want to design a map for H2A, so who here is definitely going to get the game and would be willing to build someone elses design? Experienced forgers are preferred. :)

Also if anyone wants to remake a map of mine in H2A then go ahead and pm me or quote me here. Even though the only worthy one right now is Salem imo. :p

• Upvote (+1) 2

I do this.

I use custom-printed graph paper, where each square represents a 1x1 block piece (see attached). It really starts to help when you are familiar enough with the scale of other non-block pieces relative to a 1x1 block (or a grid-based system based on that scale as a control).

Then, I can sketch things out and sort of Forge it in my mind as I go along. Erasing a couple lines and drawing them again elsewhere or in a different way is a lot easier and quicker than redoing a section of a map in Forge. Of course, there are almost always unforeseen issues even after I've perfected the sketch; things that you can easily overlook due to not having a tangible 3d representation of your creation in front of you, but those issues are usually very easily surmountable.

I appreciate the effort in trying to help, but I think it has to do with me overthinking every little detail when it comes to scaling and proportions. For example, I've tried drawing the Pit on graph paper, and not even that worked.

I also can't wrap my head around other people's sketches. I understand the labels for 1st floor, 2nd floor, etc. as well as the slopes, but I still can't picture the layout in my head.

This is the best I have done on a sketchup program:

AntagSketch1.jpg

However, this done after forging the map in Halo Reach, which it doesn't make much logical sense. It was helpful for porting the map to Halo 4 though.

I prefer just laying it out in forge, it gives me a chance to run on it in spartan mode and decide if I like parts of the map or not (map flow, LoS, etc.)

• Upvote (+1) 4

71b3mVG.png

Some random map design I made in paint, not sure if good, not sure if people can tell what's going on lol.

Not sure about your scale but looks like it needs more dance floor.

By80nraCUAA-LKw.png

Sick graph paper

My personal thing is to try to sketch the concept on a post-it before anything else. I think that keeps a nice balance between detail and general-ness.

• Upvote (+1) 2

My personal thing is to try to sketch the concept on a post-it before anything else. I think that keeps a nice balance between detail and general-ness.

Agreed. My process is usually something akin to:

1) Get an awesome idea for a type of map, certain structure, and/or visual idea

2) Test it out really quickly in Forge to see if it's at all possible to recreate it at least close to, if not exactly, the way I see it in my mind

3) If step 2 was successful, make note of the scale, and then proceed to quickly sketch out map on regular graph paper (I have a few pads laying around for just this purpose) and refine any angles / structure.

4) More methodically sketch it out on my custom-made graph sheets at least until all of the main basic structure & paths / routes are clearly constructed.

5) With a clear idea of the overall structure of the entire map, needlessly envision the map as if it were made in the actual game studio

6) Concede that it will never look quite that awesome

7) Start the insanely long and meticulous process of Forging the map as perfectly and with as great looking visuals as I possibly can

• Upvote (+1) 2

I appreciate the effort in trying to help, but I think it has to do with me overthinking every little detail when it comes to scaling and proportions. For example, I've tried drawing the Pit on graph paper, and not even that worked.

I also can't wrap my head around other people's sketches. I understand the labels for 1st floor, 2nd floor, etc. as well as the slopes, but I still can't picture the layout in my head.

This is the best I have done on a sketchup program:

AntagSketch1.jpg

However, this done after forging the map in Halo Reach, which it doesn't make much logical sense. It was helpful for porting the map to Halo 4 though.

I prefer just laying it out in forge, it gives me a chance to run on it in spartan mode and decide if I like parts of the map or not (map flow, LoS, etc.)

That's pretty sick! I'd love to do something like that!

Of course, prior to building it, not after lol. Still though, it's definitely cool!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Please don't harass our staff on twitter when banned, again it somehow always comes back to this section.

b2b20f3d19706616f835973173cf1eff.png

Edit: Since I'm getting a few PM about it. We don't wander around this section looking to ban and stir up stuff. You guys bring that onto yourself with reports, twitter harassment, members messaging us, etc. I think one issue I've seen come up is that we may be harsh with our bannings, the ironic part is we don't actually ban that often on the forum (3-5 members a month if that), but somehow this section always is the majority of the problems on these forums. I don't know if you guys are used to other forums or lack respect for others but cut the shit, its literally embarrassing at this point. I get it, Halo forging hasn't been great recently, but hey The Master Chief Collection comes out in a month, just chill and talk about what you want to Forge.

Play nice, be nice. It isn't that hard, follow the rules and don't be an asshole. Seriously.

PM me if you have questions.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Who is being an asshole?!

I keep seeing staff posting about it but I seriously don't see it...

• Upvote (+1) 1

Who is being an asshole?!

I keep seeing staff posting about it but I seriously don't see it...

We usually remove the posts.

• Upvote (+1) 1

We usually remove the posts.

Got'cha. Figured I may see them before that happens sometimes, but I never do. You guys are on point.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sooooooo anyhow... Gonna have a playable version of Constricted (of whatever I decide to call it @@Fyrecide ). Name is tentative, and of course the map is privy to change before H2A ships. Don't think I'll run into any problems with the design though considering how long I've been playing with it, but I do imagine H4's spawn engine will much things up as per usual.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Gonna have it... when?

I wanna play around on it :P

Add my on XBL: Fyrecide

You're a super-talented Forger and I need more friends like that (already have a Chunk, soon as he accepts lol).

I'd like to have at least 3 avid Forge friends so that we can at least 2v2 test each others maps on a regular or at least semi-regular basis.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Gonna have it... when?

I wanna play around on it :P

Add my on XBL: Fyrecide

You're a super-talented Forger and I need more friends like that (already have a Chunk, soon as he accepts lol).

I'd like to have at least 3 avid Forge friends so that we can at least 2v2 test each others maps on a regular or at least semi-regular basis.

Uploading now. And shot you a FR.

Spawns probably won't be great as I just set them to sides and didn't bother weighting any areas... Expect to spawn in the back most often. :/

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why are staff members essentially calling out all the members that frequent this sub-forum based upon the actions of people that are already banned?  Don't take the actions of a handful and pin them on a whole group.  It's really disconcerting and disappointing to the people that are not banned.

I know you guys have your rules, as every forum does, and whether or not I agree with them, I understand I have to follow them if I want to continue my participation here.  I believe one of those rules is to not discuss moderation publicly.  It's a good rule.  The staff should follow that rule as well.  At the very least, it's really not fair (and yes, I realize this forum is not a democracy) to engage in discussion with a person or group of people publicly, and then tell them that they're welcome to continue the conversation, but only privately.  If you want a conversation to take place privately, then just tell people to PM you if they have questions/comments/concerns rather than posting a paragraph or two on a subject and then telling people they can continue it privately.

• Upvote (+1) 9

Uploading now. And shot you a FR.

Spawns probably won't be great as I just set them to sides and didn't bother weighting any areas... Expect to spawn in the back most often. :/

I'll be on after I leave work, probably around 6:30 or so. I'll be Halo-ing before I jump into Destiny with a friend later on tonight.

I finally made it to LV 20 so I'm curious what all the fuss is about; I still have 2 missions on the Moon left to do lol. Not very far into that yet.

Anyhow, I'll definitely be checking out a few maps whilst I'm on.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why are staff members essentially calling out all the members that frequent this sub-forum based upon the actions of people that are already banned?  Don't take the actions of a handful and pin them on a whole group.  It's really disconcerting and disappointing to the people that are not banned.

I know you guys have your rules, as every forum does, and whether or not I agree with them, I understand I have to follow them if I want to continue my participation here.  I believe one of those rules is to not discuss moderation publicly.  It's a good rule.  The staff should follow that rule as well.  At the very least, it's really not fair (and yes, I realize this forum is not a democracy) to engage in discussion with a person or group of people publicly, and then tell them that they're welcome to continue the conversation, but only privately.  If you want a conversation to take place privately, then just tell people to PM you if they have questions/comments/concerns rather than posting a paragraph or two on a subject and then telling people they can continue it privately.

so much yes

also is anyone here familiar with exhibit from h1.5?

• Upvote (+1) 2

-Please do not respond to this post publicly. If you have anything to say, PM me.-

To everyone:

I was deeply ashamed to see the WAYWO thread being closed during the weekend (a few days or not, it doesn't matter). While I was sort of suspended prior to the thread being closed, I still played a huge role in provoking the moderators. So with that, I apologize to those who honestly have had nothing to do with the situation. This thread is too great to pollute.

If anyone has any grudge against the moderation here, drop it if you haven't already. Anything you say is punching a brick wall. This sub-forum is already considered "toxic." The only way to deal with that is to, before anything else, pretend none of this has happened. I will take this advice myself.

But anyways, it is a little over a month before H:MCC comes out. This forum can thrive until then, then become something better.

Thanks for reading.

I am officially embarassed to have said this.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1