Joseph

OT of Forge | What Are You Working On?

I am telling you how these types of posts come off to other people in the community.

For example:

If I say something like "I put so much time and work into Beyond that you couldn't even begin to comprehend or grasp what I have done here"

That is basically saying that I am on another level than you and you simply cannot operate at my pace.

That is lame, and nobody likes reading something like that, besides the person who wrote it. If that is really something you believe keep it to yourself, but the moment it spills over into a public discussion that's when arguments start and people become offended.

We apparently interpret things differently.

Also worth mentioning, I stated "we", not "I" like you're example. I know for certain some of my fellow forgers put forth more time and effort into this than I can fathom, and that doesn't make me feel any less of a person. I simply acknowledge the amount of hard work and effort they put into their passions, and I respect that.

Comprehension does not need to refer to intellectual ability, but can also refer to the lack of knowing something. You don't know how much time and effort forgers put into their work. You can assume, but it's not a certainty. Just the same, I can't comprehend how much time you actually put into your work. So on and so forth....

But, alas, we're arguing semantics.

• Upvote (+1) 2

We apparently interpret things differently.

Also worth mentioning, I stated "we", not "I" like you're example. I know for certain some of my fellow forgers put forth more time and effort into this than I can fathom, and that doesn't make me feel any less of a person. I simply acknowledge the amount of hard work and effort they put into their passions, and I respect that.

But, alas, we're arguing semantics.

"We" or "I" does not matter. You are placing yourself or the group you are associating yourself with on a pedestal over everyone else, which is lame, and simply unnecessary.

Also it is not about "interpreting things differently". I am giving you an honest perspective from someone who does not do anything Forge related. Posts where you suggest that people who do not forge cannot comprehend the time and effort put into creating a map are laughable.

Everyone has a passion, everyone can relate to putting massive amounts of time and effort into something they care about. People who Forge halo maps are not all the sudden on another level as your previous posts suggest.

Forging is cool and interesting, but because you partake in it does not make you better than anyone else here. It does not give you a right to talk down to people or belittle people because of a self inflated Internet ego about what you do on a video game, and that's something you need to understand.

"We" or "I" does not matter. You are placing yourself or the group you are associating yourself with on a pedestal over everyone else, which is lame, and simply unnessacary.

Also it is not about "interpreting things differently". I am giving you an honest perspective from someone who does not do anything Forge related. Posts where you suggest that people who do not forge cannot comprehend the time and effort put into creating a map are laughable.

Everyone has a passion, everyone can relate to putting massive amounts of time and effort into something they care about. People who Forge halo maps are not all the sudden on another level as your previous posts suggest.

Forging is cool and interesting, but because you partake in it does not make you better than anyone else here. It does not give you a right to talk down to people or belittle people because of a self inflated Internet ego about what you do on a video game, and that's something you need to understand.

I'm done with this conversation. It's apparent were it's heading, and I'm not going to be baited into saying something regrettable. If you want to have a real discussion another time, just PM me. I'm open for friendly discussion.

Good night.

• Upvote (+1) 1

...And on another note, here's this pic.

aXZujpf.jpg

It's from a map I did. Not sure if I should post it, as it is for King of the Hill and Oddball only, and has a single vehicle in it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

...And on another note, here's this pic.

aXZujpf.jpg

It's from a map I did. Not sure if I should post it, as it is for King of the Hill and Oddball only, and has a single vehicle in it.

Curved ramp :) nice. Player count? And do post more pics :)

Curved ramp :) nice. Player count? And do post more pics :)

Player count originally was 6v6, but was too small. It can do 5v5 and 4v4 fairly well, and plays Hill beautifully. Here's the single vehicle both teams can fight for.

7vQPHqS.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

Player count originally was 6v6, but was too small. It can do 5v5 and 4v4 fairly well, and plays Hill beautifully. Here's the single vehicle both teams can fight for.

7vQPHqS.jpg

nice!

but.. overhead? lol sorry for asking.. individual pieces of geometry look pretty snazzy so I'm curious about what the whole layout looks like...

nice!

but.. overhead? lol sorry for asking.. individual pieces of geometry look pretty snazzy so I'm curious about what the whole layout looks like...

Sure.

itJoi1p.jpg

Area on the top right is outdated. It is now the first screenshot I have shown.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've been messing around with the level editor for Unreal Tournament and have a few ideas for MCC this November. I really want to create an asymmetric multi-leveled map that has a Quake feel to it, but not sure where to begin yet. I think a lot of forgers have the same problem as me where I think of a really interesting room or part of a map and then don't know exactly what to do from there.

I've also put a lot of time into Project Spark. Has anyone here played it? You can code your own game and create levels at the same time. :D

• Upvote (+1) 5

I've been messing around with the level editor for Unreal Tournament and have a few ideas for MCC this November. I really want to create an asymmetric multi-leveled map that has a Quake feel to it, but not sure where to begin yet. I think a lot of forgers have the same problem as me where I think of a really interesting room or part of a map and then don't know exactly what to do from there.

Yep, what you described is an issue with me too at times. People tend to draw so they can build with the entire layout known. I've never found the ability to do that.

Looking forward to seeing this quake map, though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've also put a lot of time into Project Spark. Has anyone here played it? You can code your own game and create levels at the same time. :D

Yay! glad to see another quake fan :)

Have you seen the Joel McDonald guide? Seeing as you're attempting something inspired by quake I figured this would be as good a time as any to post it again..

http://www.goodstuffmaynard.com/portfolio/independent/cdg/index.html

I think having trouble starting with one room is a common thing for everybody. These are Joel's comments on it (probably worth rereading even if you've seen the article already):

'One thing to caution in designing your layout is careless randomness. Although starting out with a "kewl room" and "going with the flow" to create your level might seem like the right thing to do at the time, in the long run it will most likely cripple your map. This is because, unless you're an expert at this stuff, making rooms as you go results in a layout which usually doesn't work very well and lacks the depth and strategy needed in a tourney map. Instead, you should intelligently come up with a design either on paper or in your head. You don't need to necessarily come up with every little detail of the level, but at least get a rough layout of the map going. In the alpha and beta stages you will most likely end up making many small changes to the layout so you don't need to be worrying too much about the first few layout attempts.'

IDK hope that helped.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If I go into forge with only a small area in mind, I'll usually end up spending about 80% of my time brainstorming, visualizing, then pondering the implications of different alternatives.  The actual time it takes to build is pretty minimal for me now since I'm pretty familiar with forge.

Most of the times I've taken the approach of designing 1 room at a time, I've ended up having to do major redesigns.  Call me crazy, but sometimes I actually enjoy going through that whole process.  It can be pretty rewarding to start with a small idea and see it take shape and become a great overall design.

On a slightly related note, do you guys think a Quake/UT style map can play 4v4 well in Halo?

I have mixed feelings on it personally.   In theory it should work.  It just seems like the spawning system in Halo makes that style of map not work very well.

I'd like to eventually see forge give us the capability of setting spawn parameters (like being able to adjust the size and shape of spawn influences, and adjust the weightings of those influences).

I've been working on the same map for the past six years(since Halo 3). I'll probably never be happy with it which also means nobody will ever play it. It actually kind of depresses me.

I've been working on the same map for the past six years(since Halo 3). I'll probably never be happy with it which also means nobody will ever play it. It actually kind of depresses me.

Maybe your design is a little too complex. Try simplifying it, or designing a new map with a simple layout. Slowly progress into more difficult designs as you become more experienced.

Maps almost never work out exactly as planned. While it's bad to drop a salvageable design prematurely, it's even worse to hang onto one that isn't salvageable.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe your design is a little too complex. Try simplifying it, or designing a new map with a simple layout. Slowly progress into more difficult designs as you become more experienced.

Maps almost never work out exactly as planned. While it's bad to drop a salvageable design prematurely, it's even worse to hang onto one that isn't salvageable.

I wouldn't call it complex. It's a four room asymetrical map. Maybe I'm in denial and I'm one of those perfectionists that will never finish anything because there's no such thing as perfect. I'll keep working on it though. Maybe I'll be satisfied in another six years.

I mean, do whatever you think is best, but I would personally recommend moving on to another design.

Throw some pics of the design here if you have any, and I will try to give you some constructive criticism.

I guess I'll try to throw some up here in a bit. Maybe another pair of eyes will help. Nobody else has ever seen it other than me. It's gone through so many iterations, that you'll probably say it needs something that was featured in an earlier version. I should prepare to rip my hair out.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Forgot there was a forge section of this forum...

So, uh, over the last 11 days I've been working on a 5-map map pack.  Audley's Sensational Map Pack.  Each map's name is related to one of the five senses.

The maps should all be ready for testing sometime next week, if people still play H4...

This is the only preview I'm going to provide for now -- most of my screenshots are out-dated:

0rkZddi.png

• Upvote (+1) 1

Alright. Here ya go. There aren't any weapon spawns on the map as of right now. Anyway, saving screenshots of this made me even more depressed about it. But here it is regardless. Don't hold back on your criticisms and please do say if I should just drop it. I'll probably take that suggestion more seriously now that you've seen it.

post-5946-0-38357000-1412239860.jpg

post-5946-0-96201700-1412239868.jpg

post-5946-0-33997200-1412239876.jpg

post-5946-0-61773600-1412239888.jpg

post-5946-0-68583400-1412239901.jpg

post-5946-0-60411600-1412239910.jpg

post-5946-0-37792300-1412239927.jpg

post-5946-0-14864500-1412239940.jpg

post-5946-0-95426900-1412239949.jpg

post-5946-0-36131500-1412239965.jpg

post-5946-0-84978100-1412239981.jpg

post-5946-0-05439300-1412239991.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3

@Chunk: You ever considered buying Murder Miners? It's only $1, and you have less restrictions with it's Minecraft-like editor. I would love to play some of your maps on Murder Miners, and I'm sure they'd get played more than your maps on Halo.

Murder Miners is close to dead, but there's a small amount of people who still play frequently. And they play any well-designed new maps they can find.

Thought about it.  I don't really feel comfortable designing maps for a game I don't play.  I know it's similar to Halo, but it has a wall jump, right?  I don't really have a grasp of how the difference in movement affects gameplay.  If TMCC wasn't coming out in a month I'd probably give it a try, but it would take me a while to get familiar with the game and I don't think I'd even have time to build anything before that comes out.

Feel free to rebuild any of my maps for it yourself.

So, uh, over the last 11 days I've been working on a 5-map map pack.  Audley's Sensational Map Pack.  Each map's name is related to one of the five senses.

The maps should all be ready for testing sometime next week, if people still play H4...

This is the only preview I'm going to provide for now -- most of my screenshots are out-dated:

0rkZddi.png

Sounds exciting! I'm looking forward to seeing these. I don't really play anymore, but I do hop on H4 occasionally (time permitting) to play around in forge and chat with people on XBL.

What's your GT?

0rkZddi.png

Sounds like a good mix of maps.

Don't hold back on your criticisms

Ok.  First, props for sticking with a design until you're happy with it rather than just releasing a bunch of crap.

By far the best thing about the map is the verticality.  I'm going to focus primarily on giving critical feedback though.

- Needs more dancefloor on the catwalks.  Some of them can be 1 unit wide, but 2 units is a better rule of thumb because it gives players room to strafe.

- Make thicker walls.  This isn't super important, but it just feels odd to go immediately from one room into another without some transition distance (even 1 unit thick would be good).

- See if you can find a way to have the rooms...umm...interlock a little bit.  In other words, rather than having all of them be square shaped, have them fit together more like tetris blocks.  Unique shaped rooms that connect in more interesting ways.

- The map would benefit from some color contrast between the floor and walls.  The lack of color variation affects depth perception negatively.

That's it for now.  Hopefully something from that will be helpful for you.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ok.  First, props for sticking with a design until you're happy with it rather than just releasing a bunch of crap.

By far the best thing about the map is the verticality.  I'm going to focus primarily on giving critical feedback though.

- Needs more dancefloor on the catwalks.  Some of them can be 1 unit wide, but 2 units is a better rule of thumb because it gives players room to strafe.

- Make thicker walls.  This isn't super important, but it just feels odd to go immediately from one room into another with some transition distance (even 1 unit thick would be good).

- See if you can find a way to have the rooms...umm...interlock a little bit.  In other words, rather than having all of them be square shaped, have them fit together more like tetris blocks.  Unique shaped rooms that connect in more interesting ways.

- The map would benefit from some color contrast between the floor and walls.  The lack of color variation affects depth perception negatively.

That's it for now.  Hopefully something from that will be helpful for you.

- I've thought for a little while that the upper levels needed a bit more room to strafe. Thanks for validating it.

- Yea, that makes sense. In fact, that should have been something to take into account when first making it but I guess it never crossed my mind.

- That immediately gave me some ideas. Thanks.

- I'll fix that as well.

I appreciate it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You guys remember that seven-room map I was trying to make ages ago? Well, I kept having trouble because I was trying to force the shape of every room into octogons... So I decided to just box up the sketch. Thinking I might be able to go through with it now. Haha.

71b3mVG.png

Some random map design I made in paint, not sure if good, not sure if people can tell what's going on lol.