Joseph

OT of Forge | What Are You Working On?

doesn't sprint change things a bit as far as how you need to design for movement?

I have always preferred to not factor sprint in. Sprint is a joke when it comes to Halo, mainly because its main use in combat is to run away like a wuss (seeing as you can't shoot).

But as far as addressing map design needs, all I can say is it forces designers to design for two different movement speeds (normal and sprint speed). Whether you just scale the map larger or stretch the map's main routes, it negatively effects players' map movement during combat (because not everyone wants to turn around, put their gun down, then run like hell).

It's a lose-lose situation. Nothing can or should be done (besides removing sprint or changing it to a basic speed boost, like Shadowrun's wired reflexes) in my opinion.

Edit: And refer to Chunk's post. Sprint jumps are okay as long as they aren't stupidly broken (For example, a midship styled map was built so poorly that you could sprint jump to the top mid bridge. Don't allow for that easy of movement)

• Upvote (+1) 5

@@IKorlash, it's also good for rushing up and double meleeing :P

But one thing:

it negatively effects players' map movement during combat (because not everyone wants to turn around, put their gun down, then run like hell).

are you saying that this negative effect is due to people not wanting to use sprint, or that using sprint creates the negative effect?  If the former, it sounds a bit like someone refusing to use melee and complaining that CQC is jacked up.

I would definitely be alright with thrust-dashing replacing sprint, but if they were to both co-exist, I'd love for sprint to be in a role where it's not extremely effective to use it in the short term, due to base speed not being much slower.  Instead it'd be something you'd think about using if you needed to get clear across the map, and every second counted.

That + a bit faster min killtimes.

@@IKorlash, it's also good for rushing up and double meleeing :P

But one thing:

are you saying that this negative effect is due to people not wanting to use sprint, or that using sprint creates the negative effect?  If the former, it sounds a bit like someone refusing to use melee and complaining that CQC is jacked up.

I would definitely be alright with thrust-dashing replacing sprint, but if they were to both co-exist, I'd love for sprint to be in a role where it's not extremely effective to use it in the short term, due to base speed not being much slower.  Instead it'd be something you'd think about using if you needed to get clear across the map, and every second counted.

That + a bit faster min killtimes.

Well, this is sort of hard to explain. But to be clear, my point is not in-line with the melee/CQC analogy. I don't mean to refuse to sprint; I just hate to see sprinting away as the viable escape option.

Back in the old Halo days, backing out of a fight usually meant firing shots at your opponent while strafing backwards/away to find cover (where your memory of the map layout comes into play). But with sprint, some people find it more desirable to turn around, put your gun down, and sprint, as mentioned earlier.

Feel free to stop reading here. Otherwise...

Maps like Lockout are "broken with sprint" and maps like Midship are "broken with sprint." (using quotation marks because this is a common community opinion and not my official conclusion) If we were to scale these maps to make them not "broken with sprint," they would become too large for regular base movement, meaning over-extending would become a more serious issue when you are shooting at other players. With kill times that are around 1.2-1.6 seconds, crossing top mid on Lockout would be even more dangerous unless you were sprinting. Go ahead and sprint, but that means you can't provide gunfire to aid a teammate in need.

Lockout is already standoffish in nature for slayer, but imagine a variant where top mid is enormous and elbow extends 2 miles (and no, fuck Shutout). Lockout is best when it's fit for base movement and min/avg killtimes. Midship's case would be similar; how large would you have to make it to prevent sprint from breaking it?

This is a theory I've held for a long time: Trying to support 2 different movement speeds at once fundamentally isn't possible; even a middle ground means both speeds aren't fully supported. The fact that the higher movement speed is inconsistent (Who's actively using it? Where did they start sprint? How long will they want to sprint?) makes things even more random. All things considered, factor Sprint out of map design, whether the "bonus speed" mechanic is perfected or not.

• Upvote (+1) 4

@IKorlash

yeah, it's not really possible for it to play exactly like old halo, with sprint.  it can be pretty functional, though.  some of the longterm I've seen in H4 mm these days are definitely not easily shook by simply sprinting away the instant you see them.  I've found doing that usually means assuring your death.  getting tagged slows you down so much you might as well be walking.  It's still better to put some pressure on them first, but there's more factors at play, now.

So...I got bored.

These haven't had any testing whatsoever, but they're playable.

Grit (2v2 Slayer)

g2_zps0dd964c8.jpg

Full Album

Download Link

House of Decay (Classic Quake Map - 1v1/2v2/FFA Slayer)

h1_zps9e760d98.jpg

Full Album

Download Link

Also have 2 unplayable maps that were originally forged by Obama on KFC, then I made some major, totally unauthorized changes, lol.  I not going to make these playable or release them since they're not my maps, but feedback would be appreciated nonetheless.

Indigo

i2_zps7c645f8c.jpg

Full Album

Download Link

Stat

i1_zps707ee847.jpg

Full Album

Download Link

• Upvote (+1) 6

So...I got bored.

These haven't had any testing whatsoever, but they're playable.

-snip-

Grit (2v2 Slayer)

g2_zps0dd964c8.jpg

Full Album

Download Link

House of Decay (Classic Quake Map - 1v1/2v2/FFA Slayer)

h1_zps9e760d98.jpg

Full Album

Download Link

Also have 2 unplayable maps that were originally forged by Obama on KFC, then I made some major, totally unauthorized changes, lol.  I not going to make these playable or release them since they're not my maps, but feedback would be appreciated nonetheless.

Indigo

i2_zps7c645f8c.jpg

Full Album

Download Link

Stat

i1_zps707ee847.jpg

Full Album

Download Link

pure map sex.

I'm working on a map called "Obelisk" that is probably my sexiest looking map yet lol. It's being built on Forge Island, I started it about 3 weeks ago and have only had time & energy to work on it on 4 occasions for about 3-5 hours per each session.

It'll be a small/medium 4v4-centric map with ability to handle 2v2 and even 1v1 fairly well. It's going to incorporate just Slayer variants and CTF at first, but I plan on later adding in Oddball, King of the Hill, and Extraction after the initial aforementioned two game-types are honed in and work as well as possible.

If I had to describe layout-wise using existing maps, it's a mixture of the angular nature & verticality of Hang 'Em High (it's also grey like it, obviously lol), it shares a similar overall layout type to Midship (e.g. two base / two tower setup) but will not play like a Midship clone, and the overall look will be akin to something like Haven, Construct or Monolith: very "Forerunner-ish", albeit not quite as futuristic looking for obvious palette reasons ;)

It's my most ambitious map yet due to the fact that I'm spending an inordinate amount of time getting the look of every single area as perfect as it can be; making every area look as clean and not-busy / distracting as possible, as Forge maps usually tend to be more often than not. For example: I spent the last 6 hour session just getting the floor & pillars of the top-mid area looking clean, smooth, and unified lol. I've also spent a great deal of time making the main visual attraction (the center middle structure) looking as cool as possible using a really neat technique I came up with (which actually is the inspiration for the map) and trying to limit the amount of audio distraction that can sometimes result from using said technique / visual effect.

All in all, it will probably take me at least another half-dozen or so sessions of the same length just to get it done structure-wise; weapon placement, spawning, and game type setup will likely be another couple / few slightly shorter sessions. I am capturing each session using my ElGato GameCapture HD and plan on using the footage for both my future "Forge Tips & Tricks" collection of videos, as well as to create a sped-up time-lapse video of the build from start to finish (of at least the first version/draft).

Here are some very, very early screens of the center structure from the bottom level: first one from the blue base side (facing out toward the center structure), and the second from one of the side-towers (again, facing the center structure):

obelisk_preview_01.png

obelisk_preview_02.png

I'm working on a map called "Obelisk" that is probably my sexiest looking map yet lol. It's being built on Forge Island, I started it about 3 weeks ago and have only had time & energy to work on it on 4 occasions for about 3-5 hours per each session.

Sounds familiar.  The first handful of maps I made took me months each.  One of them I probably put 200 hours into minimum.  Amazingly, the maps mostly sucked, lol. 

I definitely admire your patience, and commitment to perfection.  It makes me interested in seeing your future projects.

Didn't you mention earlier that you're planning to build this in H2A, and are just using this current build as a trial run?

Are you interested in receiving feedback, or are you just sharing your progress?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Sounds familiar. The first handful of maps I made took me months each. One of them I probably put 200 hours into minimum. Amazingly, the maps mostly sucked, lol.

I definitely admire your patience, and commitment to perfection. It makes me interested in seeing your future projects.

Didn't you mention earlier that you're planning to build this in H2A, and are just using this current build as a trial run?

Are you interested in receiving feedback, or are you just sharing your progress?

First map I made similar... from 8pm to 5am... all week long for weeks... and I worked during my daylight life.

I don't understand how any of y'all pull these all nighters anymore. Hell, I don't understand how I used to do it... Back when I was an undergrad, it really didn't bother me as Uni was such a breeze. Here I am in grad school and I'm busting my ass all day studying, working on my German, and hunting for jobs, that come night I'm dead tired and simply can't be arsed.

I don't understand how any of y'all pull these all nighters anymore. Hell, I don't understand how I used to do it... Back when I was an undergrad, it really didn't bother me as Uni was such a breeze. Here I am in grad school and I'm busting my ass all day studying, working on my German, and hunting for jobs, that come night I'm dead tired and simply can't be arsed.

Need to study for uni + need to study for piano and composition

I feel your pain bro.

I can't imagine being in Grad School. Most accounting majors who want 150 credit hours to get a CPA usually have to go; I'm lucky enough to not have to. After this semester, I will have attended College for 4.5 years and obtained exactly 150 CR (148 before picking up a couple rec classes). I am still concerned about finding a job though, as Accounting experience is also required for CPA eligibility.

That said, I have never been fully engaged in a lecture-based class that doesn't forbid laptops. Lately I've been playing pokemon

• Upvote (+1) 1

With "The Hangout" being discussed recently in another thread, I was browsing through an old MLG thread for it and came across pictures of a variant designed by Nexn.  I decided to build it, just because.

Sketchup Pics

The Bungalow

B1_zps7f0ae29c.jpg

Full Photo Album

Download Link

As with my other recently posted maps, this isn't meant to be taken super seriously.  It hasn't had any testing.  I made some minor adjustments to the scaling from the sketchup, stretching the maps slightly horizontally, and shrinking it slightly vertically.  I feel like more scaling adjustments would help the map out a lot if I (or someone else) ever decide to remake it in the future.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I can't imagine being in Grad School. Most accounting majors who want 150 credit hours to get a CPA usually have to go; I'm lucky enough to not have to. After this semester, I will have attended College for 4.5 years and obtained exactly 150 CR (148 before picking up a couple rec classes). I am still concerned about finding a job though, as Accounting experience is also required for CPA eligibility.

That said, I have never been fully engaged in a lecture-based class that doesn't forbid laptops. Lately I've been playing pokemon

The same pretty much goes for the CFA, which I'd like to do later on... Right now I'm just looking for an entry level position at Erste Bank or USB (Swiss Bank) working with Risk Analysis. I figure get a year of work or two of work experience, take the CFA, then try to find a better job in London or something.

With "The Hangout" being discussed recently in another thread, I was browsing through an old MLG thread for it and came across pictures of a variant designed by Nexn.  I decided to build it, just because.

Sketchup Pics

The Bungalow

B1_zps7f0ae29c.jpg

Full Photo Album

Download Link

As with my other recently posted maps, this isn't meant to be taken super seriously.  It hasn't had any testing.  I made some minor adjustments to the scaling from the sketchup, stretching the maps slightly horizontally, and shrinking it slightly vertically.  I feel like more scaling adjustments would help the map out a lot if I (or someone else) ever decide to remake it in the future.

Looks complicated as fuck

Sounds familiar.  The first handful of maps I made took me months each.  One of them I probably put 200 hours into minimum.  Amazingly, the maps mostly sucked, lol. 

I definitely admire your patience, and commitment to perfection.  It makes me interested in seeing your future projects.

Well, yes and no. Yes, I am planning to hopefully rebuild it in H2A, but only if the Forge for H2A allows it to be built exactly how I'd like. Considering that the visuals are very, very important for this particular map, I don't want to remake it if I have to sacrifice that aspect of it. There are a few things that are very specific to H4 right now that I couldn't recreate in, say, Halo: Reach. So it's a wait and see game for now.

That being the case, and being that we likely won't see too much more Forge info until the game is actually released, I plan on refining the map beyond just getting the basic layout done. In the event that H2A isn't capable of perfectly recreating it, I want to have a fully-finished version regardless of if it will be played or not. Maybe in hopes that, if nothing else, Halo 5's Forge will be capable of remaking it.

Looks complicated as fuck

Well...yes and no.  The connections LOOK complicated, but it's only 4 rooms making up a perfect rectangular shape.  None of the 4 rooms has doors on either of it's 2 exterior walls.  When you're actually on the map, it doesn't FEEL so complicated.

Well, yes and no. Yes, I am planning to hopefully rebuild it in H2A, but only if the Forge for H2A allows it to be built exactly how I'd like. Considering that the visuals are very, very important for this particular map, I don't want to remake it if I have to sacrifice that aspect of it. There are a few things that are very specific to H4 right now that I couldn't recreate in, say, Halo: Reach. So it's a wait and see game for now.

That being the case, and being that we likely won't see too much more Forge info until the game is actually released, I plan on refining the map beyond just getting the basic layout done. In the event that H2A isn't capable of perfectly recreating it, I want to have a fully-finished version regardless of if it will be played or not. Maybe in hopes that, if nothing else, Halo 5's Forge will be capable of remaking it.

Alright, well I look forward to checking it out if you ever release it.

Well...yes and no.  The connections LOOK complicated, but it's only 4 rooms making up a perfect rectangular shape.  None of the 4 rooms has doors on either of it's 2 exterior walls.  When you're actually on the map, it doesn't FEEL so complicated.

Alright, well I look forward to checking it out if you ever release it.

Oh I will definitely release it. I'm hoping to get more face-time with it tonight & throughout the week/coming weekend, so I'll possibly even throw in some updated screens if I make enough headway on it and have more of the actual structure to show off.

But in any case, I'll release it for sure, if nothing else to get feedback on it. And hey: there's always the chance that 343 likes it enough and, even though it won't have as many players as the other games, possibly include it in the Halo 4 multiplayer section of The Master Chief Collection. That may or may not be a possibility, being that it I know Halo 4 Forged maps will not be readily "portable" to Halo 4 in MCC. The hope is that, despite this fact, 343 would be able to download the map and import it into MCC's H4 rotation themselves somehow.

Too many unknowns at this point, though. But thanks for your interest! If nothing else, it's motivation to get it done so that another super-talented Forger can give it a look-see :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sketchup Pics

The Bungalow

B1_zps7f0ae29c.jpg

Full Photo Album

Download Link

I disagree with the other guy: I don't think it's overly complicated at all. I think it actually looks relatively simple, especially compared to many other maps I've seen on here.

I'll give it a test the next time I'm on (and remember lol).

• Upvote (+1) 2

You know what I want to say.... Boxception!

Guess that's why Xzamples likes it. We all know how boxes make the best maps. I mean, who didn't love playing in box forts as a kid? Shit's awesome!

• Upvote (+1) 1

You know what I want to say.... Boxception!

Guess that's why Xzamples likes it. We all know how boxes make the best maps. I mean, who didn't love playing in box forts as a kid? Shit's awesome!

I've never really had any problem with boxy maps, but this is about as square as you can make a map, lol.  A bit too square for my taste actually.

If I were designing it (which...who knows, maybe I'll make my own version at some point) I would definitely make some changes to the overall shape.

• Upvote (+1) 1