Joseph

OT of Forge | What Are You Working On?

i'm sorry but i haven't really seen any difference in WHO is posting only that MCC has given us something to talk about. i've also seen people having posts hidden and topics merged with old topics which lowers activity because it makes people afraid of posting if their new topic is just going to get merged with something old going ignored.

but anyways, when tmcc actually lands what you think you see now will probably actually happen and you'll need to increase moderation to keep things under control, enjoy the flood when it happens, it'll do wonders to feed the community.

we should stop talking about this and let this get back to forge stuff.

Well you are a relatively new member to the site, I've been around this site (and many others) for years now. I think I have a grasp on the changes that happened overtime. I think we are in a great place heading into MCC and Halo 5.

With the merging/deleting, that happens on any forum. We like to avoid multiple subjects on the same things, so basically Forum Moderation 101.

------

Good talks guys, let's aim to bring this section into the Top 5!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Here's an off-topic post/question directed to @@Saucey and @@CyReN

I somewhat agree with Natsu saying he hasn't seem a huge difference in WHO is posting. However there are a lot of new people here. There's a bug on the site I noticed. If I receive a notification, check it out through the site rather than on the drop down notification, and then click View New Content. It sometimes takes me to a page that shows the recent new sign-ups for this site. I get it somewhat frequently, and notice there are days where a couple of people sign up, and then notice days where it looks like 20-30 sign up.

I know a lot of sign ups stem from the MCC announcement, but I also see such a huge influx of players for your Free to Enter tournaments.

(finally the question)

How can you increase the actual user activity of those who sign up rather than them making an account and staying inactive? I've wondered about that in the past for various sites and never really came up with a good solution. The introduction section is a great idea but not everyone takes advantage of it. I also know theres some issues with rep numbers or post counts... but would implementing a forum title based on the number of posts help? Things like "new member", "well known member" "active member" and various others help? Again I don't think theres an actual solution but just minor things that could help.

You can't really force people to post, recently we have been trying "Community Threads" on social media, along with Polls and Event Topics to hopefully get more members to sign up an contribute the forum community. Looking at numbers since E3 (MCC Announced), I would say daily posts are up by at least 20% and growing.

You can't really force people to post, recently we have been trying "Community Threads" on social media, along with Polls and Event Topics to hopefully get more members to sign up an contribute the forum community. Looking at numbers since E3 (MCC Announced), I would say daily posts are up by at least 20% and growing.

100% agree.

Hey those are good ideas too. As far as community threads, what are those? Like Saucey's Destiny Impressions thread? If so I definitely do those in the future. I think whether new members know you guys or not, they'd be pretty interested in reading what the community figureheads think on upcoming games.

Sorry for de-railing but I was just curious. If I magically think of anything ground breaking that someone hasn't though of in the last 15+ years I'll let you know.

^ No worries, you're not really de-railing anything. Forge is dead.

Speaking of that, I heard Forgehub was dead too

• Upvote (+1) 1

So you guys excited to make maps for H2A?

Pretty sure your post was sarcastic, but I'm going to respond seriously since it brings up a good point:

Unfortunately, not really. There's not much reason to be excited for H2A Forge if we're getting nearly the same tool as the one we've had for 5+ years. H2A's a big step forward from the last few years gameplay-wise, but the same can't be said about Forge... terrain objects (and whatever) are cool, but not enough to make me (and most of the people I've talked to) drop several hundred dollars on for a Xbox One and MCC disc by themselves. 

What I'm excited about is disc maps that are good for a change.

• Upvote (+1) 1

So you guys excited to make maps for H2A? 

Not very much, personally.

Some of the changes, like the performance meter and the added flexibility with budget/piece usage, are going to make a pretty big impact.  I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with, and I'll probably dabble with it here and there.  What I'm excited about with TMCC is HCE and H2 though.  The only reason I ever really got into forge was because I didn't enjoy playing Halo anymore.  Given the choice between playing a good Halo game and Forging on an inferior Halo game, I won't be forging much.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Fuck yeah I'm excited to forge in Halo 2!

but you can't forge in h2, only h2A, h3 and h4.

@@Saucey, I see what you are saying. I think the types of traffic you are getting here are observers mostly. I haven't seen a huge spike in posting so I can only conclude that the types of people that are coming here generating traffic are looking but not posting. I am sure that if you generate revenue from people who merely look at the site you are doing ok. I suppose it is mostly "competitive" focused people who really frequent this site. I don't see casuals will be interested in spending a lot of time here. And the reason is that they are not competitive focused and whether you want to think otherwise, this site is clearly competitive focused.

EXCEPT for now it is one of the best sources of news for Halo MCC and Halo 5....

but you can't forge in h2, only h2A, h3 and h4.

No shite,

but H2A is still H2 as fuck, so still excited to do it

(whats with people being so antiH2A, and so anti things in general, chill out mannnns)

No shite,

but H2A is still H2 as fuck, so still excited to do it

accept it isn't H2 with new graphics, there are differences that effect the core gameplay.

would be nice to have some forge maps under good gameplay mechanics for a change. hope we don't get simple boring stuff like we did with h4 this time around.

accept it isn't H2 with new graphics, there are differences that effect the core gameplay.

would be nice to have some forge maps under good gameplay mechanics for a change. hope we don't get simple boring stuff like we did with h4 this time around.

I think you can count on seeing simple boring stuff. Halo 2 and 4 call for similar map design.

And H2A should still be awesome. Like Halo 4 competitive modding without the modding, but better than that.

@@Saucey, I see what you are saying. I think the types of traffic you are getting here are observers mostly. I haven't seen a huge spike in posting so I can only conclude that the types of people that are coming here generating traffic are looking but not posting. I am sure that if you generate revenue from people who merely look at the site you are doing ok. I suppose it is mostly "competitive" focused people who really frequent this site. I don't see casuals will be interested in spending a lot of time here. And the reason is that they are not competitive focused and whether you want to think otherwise, this site is clearly competitive focused.

EXCEPT for now it is one of the best sources of news for Halo MCC and Halo 5....

Well you have to remember that this isn't just a forum as well - posts have been up for sure though.

I think you can count on seeing simple boring stuff. Halo 2 and 4 call for similar map design.

And H2A should still be awesome. Like Halo 4 competitive modding without the modding, but better than that.

noobish question, but how do they call for similar map design?

noobish question, but how do they call for similar map design?

Simply because of similar base movement and similar average/minimum kill times. People still make Midships because they know they work and they are easy to make.

The halo community needs to think outside the donut. The problem with halo to me and this is a fat kids opinion is that we have been given two halo games that play different from past halo games. If the games were good is irrelevant. I personally think Halo Reach was okay and halo 4 is the worst halo ever, but since both are different they required different things to be competitive, but everyone involved with game types just seemed to be trying to force a square peg into a round whole looking for nostalgic gameplay that just is not possible without mods and this led to competitive halo becoming poor to play and watch. Also, the maps for both games sucked for the most part.

I guess a better way to put it is if something wants to survive it must adapt and evolve, but competitive halo was never willing to do this. Therefore, halo is dead.

Don't expect a response from me if you want to argue. I don't argue on forums because often times people misunderstand each other.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Simply because of similar base movement and similar average/minimum kill times. People still make Midships because they know they work and they are easy to make.

doesn't sprint change things a bit as far as how you need to design for movement?

The halo community needs to think outside the donut. The problem with halo to me and this is a fat kids opinion is that we have been given two halo games that play different from past halo games. If the games were good is irrelevant. I personally think Halo Reach was okay and halo 4 is the worst halo ever, but since both are different they required different things to be competitive, but everyone involved with game types just seemed to be trying to force a square peg into a round whole looking for nostalgic gameplay that just is not possible without mods and this led to competitive halo becoming poor to play and watch. Also, the maps for both games sucked for the most part.

I guess a better way to put it is if something wants to survive it must adapt and evolve, but competitive halo was never willing to do this. Therefore, halo is dead.

Don't expect a response from me if you want to argue. I don't argue on forums because often times people misunderstand each other.

this is kinda true, but if what 343's been saying recently is true, it sounds like THEY'VE been forced to adapt to us.

doesn't sprint change things a bit as far as how you need to design for movement?

To a degree, yeah. Namely that it adds emphasis to how winding pathways deteriorate gameplay, as that boost of speed allows a player to zoom through a zig-zagged maze, leaving the opposing player clueless on where the player disappeared to. This example is exemplified best with the H4 map Skyline.

@@purely fat haha, Donut. :P

For me, it has an affect, but that affect is pretty minor.

If you're increasing the size of a map as a way of accounting for sprint, I think you're doing it wrong.  By increasing the scaling of a map, you're almost making frequent use of sprint a necessity.  My approach is to incorporate jumps that are only possible with sprint.  By ignoring sprint in the overall scaling of the map, you're reducing the necessity of using sprint frequently.  By implementing sprint jumps, you're using sprint to open up additional movement options.  You minimize the negative impact of sprint while maximizing the positive impact.  Or that's the idea anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 4

If you're increasing the size of a map as a way of accounting for sprint, I think you're doing it wrong.  By increasing the scaling of a map, you're almost making frequent use of sprint a necessity.  My approach is to incorporate jumps that are only possible with sprint.  By ignoring sprint in the overall scaling of the map, you're reducing the necessity of using sprint frequently.  By implementing sprint jumps, you're using sprint to open up additional movement options.  You minimize the negative impact of sprint while maximizing the positive impact.  Or that's the idea anyway.

that does make sense.  upsizing to account for faster speed is a bit like using a higher common denominator and expecting it to be as efficient as the lowest. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

And this is why I love you... Been preaching this about scaling since Reach, and all this time I thought it was falling on deaf ears. :D

• Upvote (+1) 1