Joseph

OT of Forge | What Are You Working On?

Yea I'm going to have to disagree, Forge doesn't bring enough to warrant it own site at this point in Halo, Forgehub worked out so well in Halo 3/Part of Reach because how new it was and the Halo momentum train.

Even on here, there are 12 public forum sections, this section ranks at 8th since January 1st for views/posts.

Yea I'm going to have to disagree, Forge doesn't bring enough to warrant it own site at this point in Halo, Forgehub worked out so well in Halo 3/Part of Reach because how new it was and the Halo momentum train.

Even on here, there are 12 public forum sections, this section ranks at 8th since January 1st for views/posts.

i did say the game needs to be alive for it and currently its dead.

i did say the game needs to be alive for it and currently its dead.

You could argue that for a lot of the Halo community, this is the only part that been lacking for the most part in recent memory. This is based of running multiple Halo communities since 2011, but what do I know.

You could argue that for a lot of the Halo community, this is the only part that been lacking for the most part in recent memory. This is based of running multiple Halo communities since 2011, but what do I know.

and at this point in time for halo communities its also true. at the moment only the serious hardcore dedicated people are active which makes up the smallest niche out of them all. communities that don't cater to this niche won't survive at the moment. good thing you guys are spoon feeding this niche.

if tmcc some how magically revives the game then such communities will thrive on it like they have in the past leaving places like this struggling with their little niche like THC did.

just going to say i dis-agree with a forge focused site being so narrow focused it can't survive. a forge site focuses itself around community content with community content being one of the biggest reasons people will go looking for forums in halo because of the forge feature, that huge silent majority wants to play those silly stupid crazy maps in custom games with their friends regardless of the quality, they just want to have fun on something different. if you've ever joined a halo customs lobby you can see this in action. the only reason such a site can't survive is when the community for the game is none existent like it is at the moment but when a community is there such a site thrives. actual posting activity might be low-ish but the the traffic is still really high allowing for the ad money to pay the fees.

i also don't agree with serious forgers being intimidating, these people just understand how things work on a much deeper level then the random people coming to share crappy content so these serious forgers will obviously be highly critical in an attempt to help the person learn. this is the same thing i have also seen on this forum, when new people arrive and start posting when they lack information the serious people pounce on them in the same manner. if that isn't a bad thing here then i fail to see why it would be a bad thing on a different website.

lastly, any community is intimidating from the outside because people get nervous joining groups that they don't understand then inner workings of so they don't know how they will be treated when they first arrive. they're scared that they might be bitten it and tossed around which is entirely a normal reaction.

That's cool, everyone is entitled to their own opinion - but if you fail to see why the subject matter around Forge is too narrow of a topic then I think the conversation ends here.

Also as a sidenote: Forgers arent intimidating, some are just unpleasant or have an internet ego. People don't want to stick around in an environment like that.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

That's cool, everyone is entitled to their own opinion - but if you fail to see why the subject matter around Forge is too narrow of a topic then I think the conversation ends here.

Also as a sidenote: Forgers arent intimidating, some are just unpleasant or have an internet ego. People don't want to stick around in an environment like that.

Plenty of great websites have been forged, no pun intended, around a single aspect of one game.

Just look at websites like:

-www.armorlock.com

-www.onlykazooiefrombanjoandkazooie.net

-www.bigteambattle.net

-www.mw21887s.org

-www.theatermodeblopsii.webspace.eu

While I sort of agree that forgers can leave a negative vibe, I feel like that applies to any Halo community, not just forge. It's not like MLGpro, THC, or BE were/are any more dandy. Everyone has different views/philosophies.

Forge Forums thrived during Halo 3 because it was novel; they thrived in Reach because Reach expanded the possibilities in forge greatly (easier to forge, dedicated race gametype, improved mini-game options with AA's/other new settings, etc.); Halo 4 was the point where Forge couldn't hold its own.

Halo 4 Forge brought barely anything to the table while making customization arguably worse (forced instant respawn, no race or assault, no infection, etc.). This is when Forgehub had to broaden their target audience IIRC, when it lost uniqueness.

Also, I can't remember when BE was first launched, but wasn't it still after Halo 4's release? I can respect this subforum being ranked 8th out of 12. Halo 4 forge is dick and the "competitive' forge demographic has never been large anyway.

• Upvote (+1) 2

While I sort of agree that forgers can leave a negative vibe, I feel like that applies to any Halo community, not just forge. It's not like MLGpro, THC, or BE were/are any more dandy. Everyone has different views/philosophies.

Forge Forums thrived during Halo 3 because it was novel; they thrived in Reach because Reach expanded the possibilities in forge greatly (easier to forge, dedicated race gametype, improved mini-game options with AA's/other new settings, etc.); Halo 4 was the point where Forge couldn't hold its own.

Halo 4 Forge brought barely anything to the table while making customization arguably worse (forced instant respawn, no race or assault, no infection, etc.). This is when Forgehub had to broaden their target audience IIRC, when it lost uniqueness.

Also, I can't remember when BE was first launched, but wasn't it still after Halo 4's release? I can respect this subforum being ranked 8th out of 12. Halo 4 forge is dick and the "competitive' forge demographic has never been large anyway.

It's technically 8th out of 10 because two of the subforums are admin and mod only, but I would definitely be proud of being a close 8th to the NFL thread and General Gaming on a Halo focused forum. 

is this the pot calling the kettle black? (everyone has an internet ego)

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's technically 8th out of 10 because two of the subforums are admin and mod only, but I would definitely be proud of being a close 8th to the NFL thread and General Gaming on a Halo focused forum.

I actually discounted some of those, Forge is just beating: Team/Player Finder/Local Players and Support & Suggestions.

People can have egos, if you publicly flaunt it then you will do more harm than good, but again I think there is some confusion in confidence and straight up ego. From what I've gathered from Forge areas are people complaining about Salot getting attention or people hating critiques on their maps, never visited ForgeHub back in the day so I can't really tell you about them, just the experience on here and THC mostly.

No.. and No.

lol.

Have a great day.

• Downvote (-1) 1

I actually discounted some of those, Forge is just beating: Team/Player Finder/Local Players and Support & Suggestions.

People can have egos, if you publicly flaunt it then you will do more harm than good, but again I think there is some confusion in confidence and straight up ego. From what I've gathered from Forge areas is people complaining about Salot getting attention or people hating critiques on their maps, never visited ForgeHub back in the day so I can't really tell you about them, just the experience on here and THC mostly.

i agree there is definitely  a lot of confusion. from what i gather there is more towards hating salot then just the attention he gets, its something about abusing his position as well. i don't know all the details just the rumors i've heard drifting about.

sadly, egotism comes with the territory of personal creations so they will be hateful of critique and do what ever they can to block it out  or discredit it. i actually admire some of the more serious forgers because they broken through this barrier and are very open to and look for criticism.

No.. and No.

lol.

Have a great day.

dat rep game ;)

edit:

just a thought, why do you have a forge section if you think forgers are unpleasant? or have all the unpleasant assholes been banned? if so thats good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is a really stupid argument.  Don't know why I'm joining in, lol, but I'm just going to ramble a bit here...

Forge is part of Halo.  When Halo sucks, every 'niche community' within the Halo community is going to suffer. 

No community = No community content. 

The competitive Halo community has suffered as well.  Basically the only thing that's kept it alive is TMCC discussion.  Without that, this site would be hurting big time. 

Forge-centric sites have proven very successful in the past.  Forgehub, at one point, had traffic that would put this site's traffic to shame.  But of course, when you limit your focus you're limiting your audience.  That said, if Halo as a whole experiences a resurgence, so will Forge (and any Forge focused sites).  For now, the forge community is suffering because there's really nothing forge related to talk about.  Forgers are just biding their time until they have a new game to forge on.

Aside from the obvious fact that Halo 4 (and Halo 4 Forge) sucks, the forge forum traffic on this particular site is hurt by the fact that modded content is not allowed.  Halo 4 is basically unplayable without modded gametypes.  Most of the competitive forgers who have frequented this site in the past designed their maps with competitive play in mind.  The only way to get competitive gameplay in Halo 4 is to use modded gametypes.  There have been a few prominent modded gametype/settings threads that have been deleted.  While I understand the motivation behind that, there's no doubt that it has negatively impacted both the morale and the activity level of competitive forgers on this site.

Finally, there are assholes everywhere.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Each forge relied upon population. Without it no one has any real drive to forge. No one wants to forge for nobody. That is what hindered forge 4, and really nothing else. If the population was 1M daily in the playlists, you would see a comparable customs population and a strong populous forging community feeding off that population. Guaranteed. No matter how bad Forge 4 was. And it was bad.

I see forging effecting more players across the board than the BE eSport competitive side of Halo. Yes players will like Halo to be competitive again, but they are not as affected by eSport or MLG picking up Halo as they are with customs driven by forge on an average daily basis. You can argue that I am wrong, but when I think of BE I think of "watching as a spectator", and I think most players are not into that as one might imagine - or perhaps a better way of saying it is that they are more into customs and that is driven in large part by forge.

This is a really stupid argument.  Don't know why I'm joining in, lol, but I'm just going to ramble a bit here...

Forge is part of Halo.  When Halo sucks, every 'niche community' within the Halo community is going to suffer. 

No community = No community content. 

The competitive Halo community has suffered as well.  Basically the only thing that's kept it alive is TMCC discussion.  Without that, this site would be hurting big time. 

Forge-centric sites have proven very successful in the past.  Forgehub, at one point, had traffic that would put this site's traffic to shame.  But of course, when you limit your focus you're limiting your audience.  That said, if Halo as a whole experiences a resurgence, so will Forge (and any Forge focused sites).  For now, the forge community is suffering because there's really nothing forge related to talk about.  Forgers are just biding their time until they have a new game to forge on.

Aside from the obvious fact that Halo 4 (and Halo 4 Forge) sucks, the forge forum traffic on this particular site is hurt by the fact that modded content is not allowed.  Halo 4 is basically unplayable without modded gametypes.  Most of the competitive forgers who have frequented this site in the past designed their maps with competitive play in mind.  The only way to get competitive gameplay in Halo 4 is to use modded gametypes.  There have been a few prominent modded gametype/settings threads that have been deleted.  While I understand the motivation behind that, there's no doubt that it has negatively impacted both the morale and the activity level of competitive forgers on this site.

Finally, there are assholes everywhere.

I fully agree that the game will affect forge and all other aspects of the entire title. Some of my friends quit forge, not because forge was boring, but in their words, "Halo 4 sucks".  And as you pointed out FH has had a tremendous amount of popularity and traffic, but you cannot compare it's past with BE's present because the popularities of their respective eras are quite different. Wait for Halo 5 and you will see HC and BE the premier sites and i really don't have any idea which will be generating more traffic.

Forge-centric sites have proven very successful in the past.  Forgehub, at one point, had traffic that would put this site's traffic to shame.

What kind of stats are we talking here? Because I have a very hard time believing that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Considering you have no idea what kind of traffic we generate I would have to say No to that.

I agree with chucks statement of when Halos suck, all the niche communities suffer. With the MCC, competitive Halo got a bit of a kickstart again, and people flocked back to the H3 playlist, XBC, and Halo 2 Vista. We're grinding and getting ready for our game again, but you can't really do that in Forge. From what I've seen we have a terrible system going on for competitive Halo. Top Pro's and Teams refuse to play asymmetrical maps or maps that offer a unique way to play. We're stuck with a bunch of midship clones whenever the new game drops for competitive play.

There is no point centralizing a forge community unless there is a game to forge for. Halo 4 was so irrelevant that no matter what you forged into it, it wasn't going to make the game play better. It makes perfect sense to me that the NFL thread is rated higher because the NFL is relevant right now. When the next Halo game comes out with a good forge, then we should see some strong activity within that group.

Thats my 2 cents on where I see Forge standing today. I don't even know what the initial debate is about, just that all Halo communities suffer.

• Upvote (+1) 1

forgehubs traffic was great enough that a 3rd party who didn't care about halo or the site at all bought it purely for the ad revenue. then halo died and they sold it.

The thing with Halo websites is you have to find a overall niche that works while working on a goal. When we first started the site we wanted a true home for competitive Halo players but an area to keep Halo news and casual Halo gamers alike to post. I think we achieved that for the most part, you won't see threads about Spartan Ops but you'll see good discussion of members favorite Halo memories, maps, etc. Watering down a site to just Forge will always hurt IMO.

Considering you have no idea what kind of traffic we generate I would have to say No to that.

I disagree. I will address your specific comment here. We DO have an IDEA of the traffic here at BE. Of course we don't have the specific numbers. But we didn't have them for FH either.

We have some idea of what kind of traffic you have here based in large part to the interactions on the various forums. FH was extremely busy in the day.

Having addressed your point, I will now restate that it is wrong to compare the two sites' traffics across two completely different eras of interest in Halo.

The thing with Halo websites is you have to find a overall niche that works while working on a goal. When we first started the site we wanted a true home for competitive Halo players but an area to keep Halo news and casual Halo gamers alike to post. I think we achieved that for the most part, you won't see threads about Spartan Ops but you'll see good discussion of members favorite Halo memories, maps, etc. Watering down a site to just Forge will always hurt IMO.

BE is a competitive niche no matter how much you want it to be diversified. People who are interested in zombie games wont come here at all. and people at FH or even HC today talk well beyond forge as well.

I think I am done with this topic... I feel like I am just restating things here...

I disagree. I will address your specific comment here. We DO have an IDEA of the traffic here at BE. Of course we don't have the specific numbers. But we didn't have them for FH either.

We have some idea of what kind of traffic you have here based in large part to the interactions on the various forums. FH was extremely busy in the day.

Having addressed your point, I will now restate that it is wrong to compare the two sites' traffics across two completely different eras of interest in Halo.

Whats the idea of the traffic then? Lets see if the assessments come close :)

I agree that comparing the websites traffic is pointless, Forgehub isnt even a site anymore and Beyond is still fairly new in the grand scheme of things.  I am sure ForgeHub generated a very good amount of traffic during Halo 3 - Reach when Halo and forging was popular.

BE is a competitive niche no matter how much you want it to be diversified. People who are interested in zombie games wont come here at all. and people at FH or even HC today talk well beyond forge as well.

In the beginning I would agree, I've think the community and site has expanded from the first couple months to something special for the Halo community. Especially since the announcement of the MCC.

Whats the idea of the traffic then? Lets see if the assessments come close :)

I agree that comparing the websites traffic is pointless, Forgehub isnt even a site anymore and Beyond is still fairly new in the grand scheme of things.  I am sure ForgeHub generated a very good amount of traffic during Halo 3 - Reach when Halo and forging was popular.

Because - AS I SAID EARLIER - they reflect traffic at different levels of population/interest. Wait until Halo 5 to compare which is more interesting to the general population. Then you will be comparing apples to apples. Then you will see how many people are more interested in customs/forge than in competitive halo or the other way around. To say FH had 100x more traffic when halo was big compared to BE when halo was small is pointless.

In the beginning I would agree, I've think the community and site has expanded from the first couple months to something special for the Halo community. Especially since the announcement of the MCC.

i'm sorry but i haven't really seen any difference in WHO is posting only that MCC has given us something to talk about. i've also seen people having posts hidden and topics merged with old topics which lowers activity because it makes people afraid of posting if their new topic is just going to get merged with something old going ignored.

but anyways, when tmcc actually lands what you think you see now will probably actually happen and you'll need to increase moderation to keep things under control, enjoy the flood when it happens, it'll do wonders to feed the community.

we should stop talking about this and let this get back to forge stuff and before i get banned for debating as i've been warned about before.

Because - AS I SAID EARLIER - they reflect traffic at different levels of population/interest. Wait until Halo 5 to compare which is more interesting to the general population. Then you will be comparing apples to apples. Then you will see how many people are more interested in customs/forge than in competitive halo or the other way around. To say FH had 100x more traffic when halo was big compared to BE when halo was small is pointless.

Well I never said that lol, and I agree it is pointless.

And I was not asking you what you meant, I understood what you said.  I was asking you personally what kind of traffic you think we get here at this moment in time.