Joseph

OT of Forge | What Are You Working On?

fuck 4v4. started my 1v1 and i'm already in love. 

MTeUYHk.jpg

hqUX08f.jpgLchutkh.jpg

HU5oJlM.jpg

still working on the side paths so they don't end up being hallways again, but the basic flow is almost there. i actually think with some tweaks it can play a quick 2v2, and if the demand is there i'll try to gear it more towards 4v4. maybe scale it around the size of guardian so it still plays 1v1s well. 

I want this map. Makes me reallllly want to make a Halo-based game on PC and hire you to design all the maps :)

Seeing this sub has gotten me all nostalgic. Anyone here care to suggest some well respected maps put out so far in H2A for me to check out? I'm totally out of the loop. I used to love writing up detailed feedback and feature posts on forge maps back in the day even if I don't have the imagination for design myself, it'd be fun to get a grip on what's being done now to try and get back in to feedback, see if it's helpful to anyone. Plus I just miss customs.

Hey guys! I think we could all agree that we need more maps for the HCS Season 2. So I am willing to do fly a through for youtube in 1080p 60fps for free. Let me know if you have a TESTED map that is well suited for 4v4 matches. Send me a message with your gamer tag and map name. The video will be open to anyone who wants to promote it. I am currently working on Salots map Dojang and have done his Battle Grounds map which is shown below. I am very confident 343i want new maps for Season 2 which is rapidly approaching. I am very much looking forward in working with you Forgers!  

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I know this is not about forge but...

I am composing some Halo piano pieces.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If anybody ever needs somebody to help with testing of Forge maps, please add me. GT: Supernova NY. I love playing/testing new maps and think i can provide some decent input

I wanna start forging again but H2A is hard for me to catch on to. 

You know how in H4: 4x4 Shorts, Stunt Ramps, Antennas...etc (more that i can't think of) Where the "go to pretty pieces" that made any map look better aesthetically and functionally. So what are the "go to pieces" and "combo pieces" in H2A.

..i mean i can learn them obviously pretty fast just by playing with forge and i will lol... but i just thought it'd be nice conversation since i haven't seen much talk or even maps for H2A. 

You know how in H4: 4x4 Shorts, Stunt Ramps, Antennas...etc (more that i can't think of) Where the "go to pretty pieces" that made any map look better aesthetically and functionally. So what are the "go to pieces" and "combo pieces" in H2A.

..i mean i can learn them obviously pretty fast just by playing with forge and i will lol... but i just thought it'd be nice conversation since i haven't seen much talk or even maps for H2A. 

I would disagree with your assessment of any of the Forge 4 palettes. They were all incredibly noisy, which made them difficult to work with. But to discuss what to use to make a map look nice, stick with the skins. Affinity was the only map in Halo Reach that leveraged the skins to form the architecture they were intended for - Forerunner. As a result each piece looked like they belonged on the map. They worked together, and that helped them look nice.

The Forge 2A pallete has a definite theme to its skins as well - (1) industrial (cement and metalic), and (2) ancient ruins (cement). Create maps around either of those architectures according to the skins on the blocks you use and your map will look better than most. Most Forge 2A maps look like shit. Cement blocks orientated to work like a pristine forerunner metalic beam - I mean how can forgers not see the fail in that?

Most of all, don't be desperate to create a great playing map that looks like crap. Be desperate to discover what great playing map you can create that also looks good. And be prepared to walk away from the map you are creating if it cannot satisfy both.

Ellul and Unconquered are two Reach forged maps that look like utter shit. Disproportionate passage ways, walls that don't look like they belong there, walls that literally lean at odd angles, I mean those maps are horrific. How they got into the playlists i have no freaking clue. I remember being in some of the test parties for those maps, and I know that the cartographer that would be there would be making suggestions on game play. But they demonstrate absolutely zero architectural skills. The point I am making is that I would avoid those maps (and even quit out of them) just because I cannot stand looking at them.

In a nut shell, beauty makes your map more interesting. If the beauty is found through out the map, then your map is interesting through out. If your map is beautiful only in one corner, then it will be interesting only in that corner. When people play on a map that is beautiful through out, they find it interesting to play on, because of how the map makes them feel.

.... People enjoy playing on a beautiful map, because they enjoy how the map makes them feel when all they do is look at it. Can you see how important Art can be?

here is one map that looks so solid metallic and simple in design that it could pass as a dev map.

ApproachingDevMapQuality_zps08248470.jpg

This scene shows promise of leveraging the skins to create stone/steal early 20th century fortress architecture to the point it could possibly pass as a dev map.

h2aImmersiveQualities_zpse972a1fa.jpg

This scene shows an industrial theme that works well with the cement and steel skins.

* climbs off soap box *

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm not the best but if you need inspiration feel free to check out any of my maps or Given To Fly's.  You can add me on XBL if you'd like, just message me if you see me on.

@@MrGreenWithAGun Glad to see  a forger understands the importance of a well forged map.  Very rare these days.

Thats cool that you disagree with me but i don't really care, thanks for showing me those maps though

I'm not the best but if you need inspiration feel free to check out any of my maps or Given To Fly's.  You can add me on XBL if you'd like, just message me if you see me on.

@@MrGreenWithAGun Glad to see  a forger understands the importance of a well forged map.  Very rare these days.

Cant you just show me a map? Like does it have to be yours, i mean if it is thats cool too but Im not really into that whole forger show me their own map and give me the run down about it, thats like the worst way to check out a map (imo). I should just be able to look at a map for myself, just show me maps, i don't care who made them. I don't wanna hear about what kind of aesthetic they're going for or the lame pretentious back story to it.

I just wanna see some nice maps

• Upvote (+1) 1

Cant you just show me a map? Like does it have to be yours, i mean if it is thats cool too but Im not really into that whole forger show me their own map and give me the run down about it, thats like the worst way to check out a map (imo). I should just be able to look at a map for myself, just show me maps, i don't care who made them. I don't wanna hear about what kind of aesthetic they're going for or the lame pretentious back story to it.

I wasn't planning on lecturing you but feel free to be a douche regardless.

Here are some maps made by Given to Fly and myself. Maybe once you actually look at them you'll see what I was getting at.

http://www.forgehub.com/maps/trinity.625/

http://www.forgehub.com/maps/memorium.496/

http://www.forgehub.com/maps/oasis.433/

I really have no clue what you want from us. Go through this forum or forgehub if all you want is to see everyone's maps.

If you want to learn how to forge a map CA has videos on forge 2a.

If you want to read through how to design a map try my level design mini series at my web site.

Other than that I don't think I can help you, because if we disagree on forge 4a pallets artistic quality then clearly we disagree on what looks nice.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have recently come to check out some of aChunk and Warholic's maps. They're pretty good. The guy that made Orion also seems like he understands how to design solid maps, but they aren't the prettiest. There is also that FatedFire guy, who I heard is good, but I don't care much for his maps (but they are better than most forgers). That metal map shown above looks cool, but I don't think it would play good.

EDIT

MrGreen said Schnitzel made Orion. I take back my statement about him understanding how to design maps. That is the guy has made some very bad maps. I guess Orion was an accident.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

I have recently come to check out some of aChunk and Warholic's maps. They're pretty good. The guy that made Orion also seems like he understands how to design solid maps, but they aren't the prettiest. There is also that FatedFire guy, who I heard is good, but I don't care much for his maps (but they are better than most forgers). That metal map shown above looks cool, but I don't think it would play good.

Great job on completely judging a map by the color of the pieces without actually playing it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Great job on completely judging a map by the color of the pieces without actually playing it.

I said it looks cool. It looks very open though and may have spawning problems. Nothing was about the color. Deppat.

• Downvote (-1) 3

Here's an overview of an inverse symmetrical map I made called "Flux". Feel free to leave feedback.

Here's an overview of an inverse symmetrical map I made called "Flux". Feel free to leave feedback.

"This video is private" ?

I'll edit it when I get back on my computer. Amateur mistake :kappa:

I checked and it says public for me :/

I checked and it says public for me :/

Dunno it definitely had that message for me, though (not just once either), it doesn't say it anymore though so it's public now.

I want a forge map on HCS so I'm building one :) 

Athena, 4v4 

Screenshot-Original.png?sv=2014-02-14&sr