Joseph

OT of Forge | What Are You Working On?

yeah, once MCC gets the patch for the patch for the patch for the patch for the patch for the patch for the patch, then forge customs will continue to live on

Ummmmm.. Im pretty sure they patched that ben.

• Upvote (+1) 3

they need to 

• patch simpler textures onto pieces to avoid framerate problems 
  • patch in static weapon spawns so we don't need to use a million triggers to do it
  • patch awash lighting glitch
  • patch in missing UI options
  • patch in the ability to join games
  • patch in the ability to save more than 50 files at a time
  • patch in the goddamn in-game file shares so the community can actually discover content
  • Upvote (+1) 1

they need to 

• patch in static weapon spawns so we don't need to use a million triggers to do it
  • patch in the the goddamn in-game file shares so the community can actually discover content

The problem with the pieces is the high polygon count that makes up there geometry. Simpler objects, with more complex textures would improve frame-rate issues. So unfortunately a simple patch cannot do that, they would need to actually create all new geometry for the objects which they wont do :(

they need to 

• patch in the goddamn in-game file shares so the community can actually discover content

laughs

you'll have better luck just waiting for h5

laughs

if we can disable all of the new shit then sure. i'm not enthusiastic about forging for sprint again. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

if we can disable all of the new shit then sure. i'm not enthusiastic about forging for sprint again. 

that's unfortunate, i'd kill to see what you'd forge with that palette..

The problem with the pieces is the high polygon count that makes up there geometry. Simpler objects, with more complex textures would improve frame-rate issues. So unfortunately a simple patch cannot do that, they would need to actually create all new geometry for the objects which they wont do :(

This

The texture itself is irrelevant. What may be driving the issue is how occlusion works on the game engine. I doubt its even the polygon count really, but it depends on how the engine works. But I would think their blocks are low count anyways.

Also, it isn't an issue of complex texture, and I think we wouldn't want complex texture for fear that they would be noisy. What H2A has now is a great start.

laughs

I gave up with Halo entirely. It just isn't worth waiting for.

However, if they ever do get MCC patched and there is strong evidence of at least 50k people playing H1 and H2 each on a regular basis, then perhaps it would be worth getting.

if we can disable all of the new shit then sure.

Sadly, I don't think the immersion or the "wow" moments will be disabled for us.

I vote we all go back to ZBNS reach

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sadly, I don't think the immersion or the "wow" moments will be disabled for us.

wouldn't have to ask me twice if it was in the MCC. don't feel like investing in last gen. 

I stopped forging after MCC came out but hell forging was so much more fun in reach. Better textures, easy static weapon timers and the maps will be played with ZBNS.

I stopped forging after MCC came out but hell forging was so much more fun in reach. Better textures, easy static weapon timers and the maps will be played with ZBNS.

yea it was a lot of fun especially considering how much of a leap it was over halo 3. everybody wanted to try it and it led to a constant stream of content from the community. i've played countless infection maps, elaborate invasion games, mini games, competitive maps, and other stuff that blew my mind on a daily basis. one of my friends had a 40 minute invasion gametype where we flew over to a battleship on falcons and infiltrated it. where are the crazy games like that? my list was full of forgers from all over eager to create and share their designs. i basically spent the first year of reach playing customs all day.

forge world was very well designed and gave players the freedom to create almost anywhere they wanted (including underwater). tempest was disappointing to me at first, but i played some nice maps on it. timberland also gave us some forging opportunities.

despite the grey noisy textures, i loved the forerunner pieces more than anything we've had since. there were many tricks to getting more out of the palette too: if you forged a block into the ground, the glass would turn black instead of blue. hell, you could even turn pieces green by forging them into the trees. even without dynamic lighting, forgers were able to create expressive maps if they so chose. seriously, people underestimate how colorful Reach forge could get. 

244_123odn8.jpg

81_700-1.jpg

gravemind-04.jpg

5653427773_6054e6fdc8_b.jpg

it wasn't perfect, but reach forge and the community behind it was ridiculously robust. despite some improvements made in H4 and H2A forge, 343 has largely destroyed that enthusiasm and reversed that community growth. failing to launch file shares twice is unacceptable. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Can't agree more with your post. The grey wasn't as bad for me as for anyone else. The textures and the artstyle of the pre H4 halos is just better.

timberland also gave us some forging opportunities.

True I made my best map on timberland last year (wasn't forging in H4) and it turned out pretty good imo. If anyone wants to check it: It's in my fileshare.

@@Res My only concern is the space between the middle and the bases. It is quite large, and because the player is forced to traverse it. A team getting a hold on top mid could dominate the map because of the size of said space and a lack of a true route to flank.

so....midcliff? :kappa:

atmospherics look amazing. how's framerate with the rocks? will have to agree with @purely fat that the middle needs some stronger segmentation or it'll be easy to spawn kill in 4v4. or rather, the middle is fine but the bases feel a bit far away. almost feels like it should be an atrium map. i'm really liking the middle so i personally would try to find a way to diminish the dead space around it. 

h2a forge pieces are causing performance issues?  seemed fine for me from the bits I've tinkered around with.  I remember Reach not being too hot FR-wise (plus the dumb motion blur that made me feel kinda sick), is it really preferable?

Halo 5 forge though... man, I keep forgetting those maps aren't just normal ones with slightly barer aesthetics.  Hope I see some cool stuff from you folks when you get your hands on it, even if they don't include the option to play as spartans with stiff backs and technophobia.

60 FPS completely ruined Reach for me. It feels muddy.

Anyway, I've had a few BTB map ideas swimming in my head for a bit. I heard that terrain forging was finally a thing in H2A, so I loaded it up to see what was going on and... nope!

The flats aren't flat and the hills are too fucking jagged. And Awash's lighting is dicks. Bleh.

60 FPS completely ruined Reach for me. It feels muddy.

it's the motion blur that accentuates it. you'll get used to it after a few games. 

i played it last week and felt the same way. 

When playing pegasus today i noticed that it also had the call outs from the map area. so i think in H5 you can set call outs for certain areas of maps.

so....midcliff? :kappa:

atmospherics look amazing. how's framerate with the rocks? will have to agree with @purely fat that the middle needs some stronger segmentation or it'll be easy to spawn kill in 4v4. or rather, the middle is fine but the bases feel a bit far away. almost feels like it should be an atrium map. i'm really liking the middle so i personally would try to find a way to diminish the dead space around it. 

lmao something like that. the in-map framerate appears to be negligible. I haven't played any games on it though, so things like grenades and such might negatively affect the frames.

I agree the bases are definitely lacking; I used so many blocks on the middle that I just sort of scrapped together the bases (hence the lack of an actual map release).

Likely going to reforge the whole thing. I was so into the idea of this middle and this cliff structure that the bases suffered as a result