Joseph

OT of Forge | What Are You Working On?

They look more like placeholder textures rather than something finished; I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were expecting texture-less pieces. On the other hand, it's nice to see some new shapes, we've been stuck with Reach's toolbox since.

I doubt it. Those look better than anything else we have seen.

It's possible that they're placeholder textures, however, I think that may be influenced by player feedback. Hopefully most non-forgers will see that this is easily the best palette ever given to us, and I myself have friends who are clueless about forge who are aware of the improvement that has been made here.

Well maybe the forge will be good but if the game sucks in general it is no gain for me.

Eh, that's just opinion. Halo 5 is the first Halo in a long time that has given me an itch to play it. At this point I think people are choosing to dislike it just because that's an easy thing to do, but I'm feeling relatively optimistic.

Placeholders or not, has anyone speculated on how there's callouts for specific areas?

Placeholders or not, has anyone speculated on how there's callouts for specific areas?

If I had to guess I'd say they have zones similar to spawn and trait zones that have a handful of pre-decided names; things like "hall", "plat", "bridge", "window".

Eh, that's just opinion. Halo 5 is the first Halo in a long time that has given me an itch to play it. At this point I think people are choosing to dislike it just because that's an easy thing to do, but I'm feeling relatively optimistic.

Why would people dislike a game because it is an easy thing to do? I think people do know if they like the game or not I mean we got a beta of this game so people played it before they said that they don't like it.

Also if you played it you could say that this game feels less halo-ish than any other game in the series...

It sounds like you believe you need color or some visual noise to create meaningful callouts.

Why would people dislike a game because it is an easy thing to do? I think people do know if they like the game or not I mean we got a beta of this game so people played it before they said that they don't like it.

Also if you played it you could say that this game feels less halo-ish than any other game in the series...

No one's looking at the progress made from H4 to H5. Removal of ordinances and loadouts already makes the game infinitely more competitive. They nerfed sprint to the point of uselessness; which is essentially the best they're going to do because it appears they're heavily set against removing it entirely.

The game still feels like halo to me; as someone who sucks at literally every other game besides halo, the fact that it took no more than two games for me to get into the flow of it is a clear sign that it's still got halo mechanics. I swear, I was hopeless at destiny for a full week and that's still an FPS. (referring to crucible)

I'm not saying that it's perfect because it is far from it, but this has turned into Halo 5 bashing while it's already better than even Halo: Reach vanilla (so can we not pretend 343 was the one who crashed into the iceberg? Sure they sunk the ship with H4 and H2A's awful release, but come on, Reach was the iceberg and Bungie was the one who hit it.)

• Upvote (+1) 1

No one's looking at the progress made from H4 to H5. Removal of ordinances and loadouts already makes the game infinitely more competitive. They nerfed sprint to the point of uselessness; which is essentially the best they're going to do because it appears they're heavily set against removing it entirely.

The game still feels like halo to me; as someone who sucks at literally every other game besides halo, the fact that it took no more than two games for me to get into the flow of it is a clear sign that it's still got halo mechanics. I swear, I was hopeless at destiny for a full week and that's still an FPS. (referring to crucible)

I'm not saying that it's perfect because it is far from it, but this has turned into Halo 5 bashing while it's already better than even Halo: Reach vanilla (so can we not pretend 343 was the one who crashed into the iceberg? Sure they sunk the ship with H4 and H2A's awful release, but come on, Reach was the iceberg and Bungie was the one who hit it.)

I know that the game is not as random as H4 is but I disagree that sprint is "useless". I don't want to start a sprint discussion here but imo sprint is still a gamebreaking feature.

I also respect that you say "it feels like halo to me" but on my side it simply does not.

It is also hard to not bash halo 5 since 343 is just ignoring the things that the halo community suggested. I mean even on waypoint 70% voted for no sprint and no flinch and still both mechanics are in halo 5.

It is also hard to not bash halo 5 since 343 is just ignoring the things that the halo community suggested. I mean even on waypoint 70% voted for no sprint and no flinch and still both mechanics are in halo 5.

I've heard flinch is a glitch and is being removed. Couple places noting that:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Halo-5-Removing-Flinch-69230.html

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/6e35355aecdf4fd0acdaee3cc4156fd4/topics/halo-5-flinch/ae5eb886-bd25-4397-bd4d-d1f13cd0eb17/posts

http://kotaku.com/flinch-is-going-away-for-halo-5-developers-say-

They don't listen to everything, sure, but I think they're trying to compromise. Which arguably isn't the best choice, but at the same time, again, them removing AA's, loudouts, and ordinances may have been them listening to the community. All I'm saying is the outrage is disproportionately larger than the wrong they've done in H5 so far. But there's really no telling if they're truly hearing us until the final game comes out I suppose. I mean if everyone is just going to hate halo because it isn't an exact remake of H2 or H3 then why even bother...

On the standpoint of forge, if the textures remain similar to what we see presented to us in the beta, then I do think they're trying to listen. And they certainly hear the multiplayer community more often than the forgers, so that goes to show that they're not trying to blatantly ignore everyone, although it may seem that way sometimes.

It sounds like you believe you need color or some visual noise to create meaningful callouts.

Not what I meant. Just going to assume you were joking.

I mean if everyone is just going to hate halo because it isn't an exact remake of H2 or H3 then why even bother...

There seems to have always been 2 different schools of thought concerning whether or not Halo was due for change; I'm in the school for change.

I also respect that you say "it feels like halo to me" but on my side it simply does not.

This is why we can't have nice things.

'suuup.

Forged a redesign of an older map recently. Its a drafty version, so there are some kinks here and there in the forging. I'm debating whether to keep the lift below the towers or move them below the bases atm.

The forge forum here seems a little quiet these days.

'suuup.

Forged a redesign of an older map recently. Its a drafty version, so there are some kinks here and there in the forging. I'm debating whether to keep the lift below the towers or move them below the bases atm.

I remember this from H4; looks good although I think I'd get lost if I were to play it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

outpost-basic1_zps574b3202.jpg

I'll bite.

I sort of have no clue what this is, but what I want to say is don't even think about sprint when making a map. These objects are already large enough that it'll dictate scaling "needed" for sprint. If anything, verticality mitigates the need for sprint.

You understand this picture more than I do. I'd be interested to see this become a prisoner-inspired map.

A lot has happened, including MCC's launch

managed to work my way back into Forge, but I'm in desperate need of @a Chunk's angled ramp and platform expertise. 

basically anything that turns a hallway or platform into something multi-leveled and more interesting. 

I had an idea for a FFA map that is really small, about the size of Warlock that is good for 2-4 players.

But then you could hit a switch and some of the walls would be removed and the map would open up into a bigger map that is better for 4-8 players.

I thought this would be awesome for when you start a FFA with friends and people keep joining. Instead of starting over on a bigger map you just expand as people join.

But then MCC happened and people STILL can't join custom games in progress, so it would be a waste of time. I just thought it was a cool idea so I wanted to share it.

• Upvote (+1) 2

WIP of my previous map after being thrown back on the drawing board. Obviously some things are missing or placeholder. 

9Iums7L.jpg

KPDiKxM.jpgfQgiUd9.jpgM4kFgQl.jpgKHV7py9.jpg

HfPPXHM.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 3

WIP of my previous map after being thrown back on the drawing board. Obviously some things are missing or placeholder. 

are you like

actually a forerunner?

• Upvote (+1) 1

are you like

actually a forerunner?

forerunner architecture is about the only thing i'm good at. 

and it sucks because i'll labor over a design for so long and run into a road block -- be it budget constraints, framerate, or a lack of space -- so i never finish anything that showcases that. 

looks like i'm facing another problem now. despite that map being about as large as a grid, the segmentation doesn't seem like it'll support 4v4. i can very easily make it a 2v2 map and be done with it, but 2v2 maps inherently have short shelf lives. i'd be dooming it before finishing it. 

forerunner architecture is about the only thing i'm good at. 

and it sucks because i'll labor over a design for so long and run into a road block -- be it budget constraints, framerate, or a lack of space -- so i never finish anything that showcases that. 

looks like i'm facing another problem now. despite that map being about as large as a grid, the segmentation doesn't seem like it'll support 4v4. i can very easily make it a 2v2 map and be done with it, but forge maps inherently have short shelf lives. i'd be dooming it before finishing it. 

Fixed. Honestly, and with all due respect, does anyone "forge" with the hopes there map will have any shelf life, much less be put on the shelf at all? Its a sad truth of the current state of halo, but there just inst a demand for forged maps amongst the almost non existent h2a custom community If anything, a 2v2 may be your best bet as it requires considerably less people to play.  I would hate to see a map design/build compromised into something lesser as to hit a target audience that just isnt there.  DO what feels right for the map, if 2v2 fits the bill, than go for it. I do like your forerunner architecture and with 2v2 size maps, you could explore it more without the fear of running into framerate/perfomance and budget issues. Just my 2 cents :) 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Fixed. Honestly, and with all due respect, does anyone "forge" with the hopes there map will have any shelf life, much less be put on the shelf at all? Its a sad truth of the current state of halo, but there just inst a demand for forged maps amongst the almost non existent h2a custom community If anything, a 2v2 may be your best bet as it requires considerably less people to play.  I would hate to see a map design/build compromised into something lesser as to hit a target audience that just isnt there.  DO what feels right for the map, if 2v2 fits the bill, than go for it. I do like your forerunner architecture and with 2v2 size maps, you could explore it more without the fear of running into framerate/perfomance and budget issues. Just my 2 cents :)

maybe the audience isn't there because everybody's attention is on the halo 5 beta. once that's done and MCC receives some decent patches, the community might trickle back.  :halo:

/hope

you do bring up some valid points, but my concern lies more in the nature of the map itself. i feel like building for 2v2 would be admitting defeat because the structures i'd place down would end up being very lazy or simple.  for example, this platform functions fine in a 2v2 setting, but in 4v4 it's tiny. 81rZ6Xi.jpg

i don't really play 2v2 Halo to begin with, but i'm starting to think i should do it anyway and be done with it. the framerate problems and limited palette already soured my enthusiasm to forge before people realized how broken the rest of the game was. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

yeah, once MCC gets the patch for the patch for the patch for the patch for the patch for the patch for the patch, then forge customs will continue to live on

• Upvote (+1) 1

WHO ARE YOU?

Also, you can get away with much smaller maps for 4v4 in this game.

WHO ARE YOU?

Also, you can get away with much smaller maps for 4v4 in this game.

what do you suppose i'm doing wrong? my map's large structurally but doesn't feel like it can hold 8 players. 

what do you suppose i'm doing wrong? my map's large structurally but doesn't feel like it can hold 8 players. 

I would have to walk around on it to find out.