Joseph

OT of Forge | What Are You Working On?

Here's a video of my new map "Ascend". It's basically my map "Echo" except a little bit smaller and with a few areas redesigned a bit. 

(GO TO 1:25 FOR VIDEO)

It's cool when you're forging and they decide to update the game and not give you the chance to save your crap. :^)

So what's everyone working on these days? Anything worth looking at these days? 

BTW miss you guys :)

nitro

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sorry to hear, Res. In-game warnings would be very helpful for people, but that probably goes way beyond their capabilities.

@  Nitro: From looking at forums lately, there are a lot of maps, but not many official releases besides the ones you can find here.

I have bought my own xbox one now, so I myself am forging again. Though all I care about doing currently is remaking my old maps that I really enjoyed (and/or see potential improvement in)

So what's everyone working on these days? Anything worth looking at these days? 

BTW miss you guys :)

nitro

:) 

Finished Cererus's geometry this morning.
Piece count is currently at 516 (that includes 44 weapons/powerups, 2 teleporters, 5 spawns and one floating Wall Coliseum to hold them).

And as is my luck with anything I forge that looks sexy, there's framerate :'(

I'm making a list and I'm checking it twice and more than likely some of these bastards are gonna get iced: 

• 36 various size bridge pieces I used for trim on the bottom level
  • 6 garage doors
  • 3 Walkway cover

I don't know if grass planes are taxing for our next gen consoles, but I have 7 of those too.

Here's some visuals.

xboxdvr.com/thefro3po/c88fea2a-2e5a-4db6-bfdd-79dafde7bd8e/embed

xboxdvr.com/thefro3po/b2112019-e398-49e4-bd6c-9cc79305a057/embed

xboxdvr.com/thefro3po/6388d33c-312f-4962-bf1d-77443b038ed6/embed

• Upvote (+1) 4

Finished Cererus's geometry this morning.

Piece count is currently at 516 (that includes 44 weapons/powerups, 2 teleporters, 5 spawns and one floating Wall Coliseum to hold them).

And as is my luck with anything I forge that looks sexy, there's framerate :'(

I'm making a list and I'm checking it twice and more than likely some of these bastards are gonna get iced: 

• 36 various size bridge pieces I used for trim on the bottom level
  • 6 garage doors
  • 3 Walkway cover

I don't know if grass planes are taxing for our next gen consoles, but I have 7 of those too.

From my experience, the bridges don't appear to be too much of a problem; perhaps it's just me, though. For example, I made a Zealot with no in-game framerate using 169 platform pieces; the majority of which were bridge pieces; maybe 10 maximum were not. (The map has a total of 551 objects disregarding spawns and weapons.) I would try taking out the grass planes before anything else; seven is a fairly hefty amount and if it doesn't change anything by simply removing them then you can clear that up for everyone else wondering if they're bad pieces to use. The coliseum walls may be problematic as well; though I'm not sure. I certainly wouldn't go to delete them first in this map as the contrast is refreshing.

Also, not that you have any, but for anyone reading this, lights are pretty bad for frame rate when used in abundance. Which I guess is sort of a no-brainer, but I think I saw someone post saying lights weren't problematic, when truthfully, they are.

Anyway, it looks sick, hope you don't have to sacrifice too much. Best of luck waging war on frames ;0

• Upvote (+1) 1

I haven't officially started anything yet, but I am interested in getting into forging. I worked on 1 or 2 maps in Halo 3 and Reach, neither were very memorable.

I've been thinking about forge projects for H2A, and I'm down to 2 ideas. The first is a "remake" of the forged Halo Reach map Element. I loved that map, and with Halo 2's mechanics I think it could be really fun to have back. It would have the fast paced feel of Warlord, but the opportunity to slow down the game and get some movement going. The 2nd idea I had is something I've always wanted to make but could never quite figure it out. I want to do a map that is essentially a right angle, or an L shape. The problem I've ran into in the past when trying to build something with this shape is filling in space on the ground near the middle, and it was way too easy to trap a team on 1 side. I've been doodling at work with different walkways that would extend a little out of the L shape to connect different parts of the map to give people a way out of trouble as well as provide a different way to get to an important spot on the map, which is usually the middle of the map. I've always kind of envisioned a Mall or Plaza theme for it, which means there could be walkways above that span across the whole map, but again...too much empty space on those.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fill those empty areas? I don't want it to feel like a paintball arena with just normal blocks sprinkled around to provide cover and something other than empty space.

I want to finish forging a couple maps, so I hope to tease a few maps very soon.

@thefro3po: My only guess about your map's frame rate is simply having too many objects in certain lines of sight. I heard having above 350 or so for the geometry alone poses that risk (though not as much if that includes 200 blocks).

This map certainly looks beautiful though. I love the fences/out of bounds area along with the Pixar lamps you have on the map. I hope you don't have to trim the objects too much.

@WA Chroma: If you haven't forged too much, I would shoot for the remake of Element because it is a layout you already know and you can focus on the way you use objects. You may have to compress the map a little bit because sprint is removed and the base movement speed is very slow, but that is the direction I would begin with.

As for your other map idea, L-shapes are simply hard to pull. I recall only playing on one during Halo Reach. The two maps I can think of for inspiration would be Turf from Halo 2 and Arkaden from CoD: MW3 (it's a mall map). Also, this map may give you some ideas. It has diagonal symmetry like L maps have.

• Upvote (+1) 2

From my experience, the bridges don't appear to be too much of a problem; perhaps it's just me, though. For example, I made a Zealot with no in-game framerate using 169 platform pieces; the majority of which were bridge pieces; maybe 10 maximum were not. (The map has a total of 551 objects disregarding spawns and weapons.) I would try taking out the grass planes before anything else; seven is a fairly hefty amount and if it doesn't change anything by simply removing them then you can clear that up for everyone else wondering if they're bad pieces to use. The coliseum walls may be problematic as well; though I'm not sure. I certainly wouldn't go to delete them first in this map as the contrast is refreshing.

Also, not that you have any, but for anyone reading this, lights are pretty bad for frame rate when used in abundance. Which I guess is sort of a no-brainer, but I think I saw someone post saying lights weren't problematic, when truthfully, they are.

Anyway, it looks sick, hope you don't have to sacrifice too much. Best of luck waging war on frames ;0

Thanks for the advice Res.

I started out my experimentation's like a scientist, deleting objects and then jumping into a custom game to see the effect it had.  Starting off with the three extra Grass Plains pieces on the soccer fields, then the Coliseum Walls along the soccer fields, then the fences, by then I was getting irritated and decided to nuke any suspect piece. 

Here's what I took out:

15 Coliseum Walls

7 Grass Plains

3 Walkway Covers

6 Garage Doors

No framerate  :)

If I had to guess I'd say it was probably a combo of the Col. Walls and Grass Plains, but the world may never know.

I ended up pushing the courtyard walls in toward the center and adding large block pieces to the areas formally covered by Grass Plains.  Also, pimped out top mid.  Final piece count was 513 before spawns and weapons.

xboxdvr.com/thefro3po/9b3cb65d-473d-4861-a1e3-08312645ff2c/embed

xboxdvr.com/thefro3po/5edd564f-b980-4b14-91b3-c2df1d84a953/embed

xboxdvr.com/thefro3po/a80686d6-655f-4746-808e-fd56627f3010/embed

I want to finish forging a couple maps, so I hope to tease a few maps very soon.

@thefro3po: My only guess about your map's frame rate is simply having too many objects in certain lines of sight. I heard having above 350 or so for the geometry alone poses that risk (though not as much if that includes 200 blocks).

This map certainly looks beautiful though. I love the fences/out of bounds area along with the Pixar lamps you have on the map. I hope you don't have to trim the objects too much.

We need more forgers posting their maps ASAP... at least some teaser pics.  ;)

Yeah I ended up with 1 block left in this recent build and the one that was having framerate only had 3 or 4 I think.  I love block pieces man, kinda wish they had an extra 50-100 more. 

I appreciate the compliment man and believe me I was supper salty about having to cut out the soccer fields above the courtyard area, but it was for the best.  That whole area was only built to cover the Grass Plain poking out under it.  Deleting it allowed me to keep it simple and now players will just fall off the map if they cross that wall.  **shrugs**

lol

Pixar lamps.  :lol:

• Upvote (+1) 1

So I have an Idea for a map. It's kind of a Warlock/Assembly cross. Or even just a modified Assembly. I always liked it, it just didn't have the right flow, but with a few minor tweaks, it could be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvXLARvr7-Q&list=UUSy6poQ6bcQ_Dz8zdu_vIwQ

Hey. I worked on this for the longest time in H4, and lost XBL access before I could release it. I am re-creating it in the H2A awash canvas (It always played like ass with sprint). The video is the H4 version, and the MCC version looks like crap right now (because I am new to the pallet), but its raw functionality is coming together nicely. Also have a sketch of a Symmetrical Flag map I am going to put together someday.

Am I the only one who misses the reach forge palette ? 

i do. i didn't like the colors and textures, but i liked the forerunner aesthetic and Reach's graphics. 

the custom community was considerably more lively and creative too. 

Am I the only one who misses the reach forge palette ?

I think reach palettes were all superior to every h4 palette.

But I think the h2a palette is way ahead of all of them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think reach palettes were all superior to every h4 palette.

But I think the h2a palette is way ahead of all of them.

What happens in Oct 2015?

_______

Cerberus is ready to start testing for real this time.

Walkthrough:

xboxdvr.com/thefro3po/30ddf060-5fe1-42f5-8aa8-8b89186cea53/embed

Changes:

• Removed about 100 pieces (simplified geo and elevated frame-rate issues)
  • Fixed lifts
  • Added a pateo/balcony area to the low sides of each base
  • Opened up the back of the bases
  • Simplified Top Middle
  • Extended Attic areas

I'll put up a thread tomorrow sometime, hopefully have some gameplay here in the near future.

@@Hahka, you're krazy!

i do. i didn't like the colors and textures, but i liked the forerunner aesthetic and Reach's graphics. 

the custom community was considerably more lively and creative too. 

It's the textures I miss there was so much variation in the textures and how you could use each piece, I just don't like these H2A textures which is pretty much limited to green metal and concrete.

and fuck whoever messed around with mah brace large xD.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Someone pointed out that because sprint spreads a map wider Halo has less vertical play than without sprint. That got me thinking, how could we make a map play more vertical and interfere with sprint? It gave me an idea for a map that I would have forged. I decided to begin putting it together using blender.... (removed pics from server)

I remade nexn's map aquaduct just to explore the h2a palette, can anybody tell me where the hell the killzones are ?

I remade nexn's map aquaduct just to explore the h2a palette, can anybody tell me where the hell the killzones are ?

Under spawning like normal?

edit: unless you meant on the map, in which case, don't see why putting them where you see fit wouldn't work either.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Under spawning like normal?

edit: unless you meant on the map, in which case, don't see why putting them where you see fit wouldn't work either.

Thanks nah I just genuinely didn't see them in the menu lol

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/05/halo-5-guardians-pegasus-and-orion-maps-revealed-ign-first

First video appears to be revealing H5 forge maps? These textures look amazing for forge. dream come true.

They look more like placeholder textures rather than something finished; I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were expecting texture-less pieces. On the other hand, it's nice to see some new shapes, we've been stuck with Reach's toolbox since.

They look more like placeholder textures rather than something finished; I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were expecting texture-less pieces. On the other hand, it's nice to see some new shapes, we've been stuck with Reach's toolbox since.

I doubt it. Those look better than anything else we have seen.