Joseph

OT of Forge | What Are You Working On?

I'm really excited for everyone with this new bad ass forge mode for H2A. I'm not sure if I'll be around though, not sure if I wanna spend hundreds of dollars just to forge anymore. We'll see.

Regardless though... I hope to see some awesome maps from you guys.

I seriously didn't expect MCC forge to improve much because they have about 100 maps already so such an effort was a surprise. But I am buying an xb1 to play H1&2 for the first time and all of that on dedicated servers...

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm really excited for everyone with this new bad ass forge mode for H2A. I'm not sure if I'll be around though, not sure if I wanna spend hundreds of dollars just to forge anymore. We'll see.

Regardless though... I hope to see some awesome maps from you guys.

There's one thing you have to remember: You also get to play on the forge maps. Halo 2 Anniversary gameplay, which I can imagine being better than Halo 4.

But honestly, I am on the same boat. I don't know if I want to spend hundreds either. I would have to dip into savings, as this is potentially an emergency.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I have a map that has been done for almost a year now, I just haven't had XBL for school, and then summer was, well, I am not really sure what happened to summer. I have an old video of the super beta version, but the link embedding is being kinda buggy right now.

I seriously didn't expect MCC forge to improve much because they have about 100 maps already so such an effort was a surprise. But I am buying an xb1 to play H1&2 for the first time and all of that on dedicated servers...

Yeah for reals, MCC forge is gonna be the best forge to date, and be playable on the best Halo to date. Kind of hard to not want to get back into the scene again.... only thing is I'm not sure if I can afford an XB1 for a while...

Dude... have fun with H1 and 2 man. H1 is gonna be tough, super high skill gap and 3sks. Great maps though and gameplay though! It'll be good to see where it all started man...

There's one thing you have to remember: You also get to play on the forge maps. Halo 2 Anniversary gameplay, which I can imagine being better than Halo 4.

But honestly, I am on the same boat. I don't know if I want to spend hundreds either. I would have to dip into savings, as this is potentially an emergency.

Yeah definitely excited to play forge maps on Halo 2. Definitely gonna be the shit. No sprint, AAs or any bullshit to watch out for. Guhhh that would have been awesome to have been forging all this time for a game as good as Halo 2.

People might actually care how their map plays again. People are going to have to learn how to leave feedback on gameplay and not appearance. This is going to be funny.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think people need to know how the game should play before they can leave feedback on game play. And why does this need exclude the need to talk about appearance? They are not mutually exclusive.

I think people need to know how the game should play before they can leave feedback on game play, or design quality maps themselves.

Added bold to make for solid quote. So many forgers act like they know their shit but have next to no high-level gameplay experience. I think thats half the reason the devs make a handful of bad maps for every decent one they make

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think people need to know how the game should play before they can leave feedback on game play. And why does this need exclude the need to talk about appearance? They are not mutually exclusive.

if we enforced this rule there would be extreme bias to a certain style of gameplay and would prevent potentially hundreds of people giving feedback. not to mention that even if people don't know what they're talking about if you know what you're doing you can still use their feedback to help the advancement of your map.

• Upvote (+1) 1

@all - I realize what each of you are saying. My comment was that someone needs to know what they are talking about before they can make meaningful comments. I don't believe a forger needs to be a high end player or understand the game fully as a high end player to take advantage of what comments he can get from the high end player and forge a good map with the help of those comments. I do believe that they can learn as they go. I have learned a lot from the people who come to this place. I want to receive comments from all of you because you know what you are talking about when it comes to competitive game play. I wouldn't take what I read at other sites, because they don't focus on competitive game play.

I could make a husky raid map in just a couple hours. I can make a living dead map in a day. I can make a heavies map in a week. But it takes me months to make a competitive 4v4 map, because i am still learning, and I can only learn when I am being given insight, which is rare these days due to a total collapse of interest by everyone. (If I were looking for insight into making a living dead game I would go to halo customs, because a lot of their people focus on that type of game play.)

Honestly, I am done forging. Without any meaningful insight into how I can improve Awaloa without busting split screen rendering, it isn't going to finish. I am focusing on an android game right now and waiting to see if I have the money for an XB1/MCC in a couple months.

And I took what Purely Fat said as to mean instead of ... regardless, I do believe that there are some who wouldn't know how to form quality comments on cohesion of architecture. I think we need quality feedback for both game play and art. Just as I wouldn't ask some people about game play, I wouldn't ask some other people about art.

People might actually care how their map plays again. People are going to have to learn how to leave feedback on gameplay and not appearance. This is going to be funny.

Not too funny, I think Forgehub is dead

• Upvote (+1) 1

4chub

4 games coming out on MCC

Forgehub coming back confirmed.

no, Forgehub will not be back. It has gone through too much to come back. It's been overkill

• Upvote (+1) 1

quick question, what's with the hating on forgehub?

It wasn't exactly known for being a welcoming place for people that forge competitive maps.

The vast majority of members glorified aesthetics, didn't have much of an understanding of anything beyond basic level design concepts, and didn't appreciate honest feedback about gameplay. 

There's more to it, but this is one of the main reasons.

It wasn't exactly known for being a welcoming place for people that forge competitive maps.

The vast majority of members glorified aesthetics, didn't have much of an understanding of anything beyond basic level design concepts, and didn't appreciate honest feedback about gameplay.

You just described halo customs and they are doing well. The issue with FH is vision. I will try to explain when I am in front of a computer tonight.

oh that makes sense then, sounds like a very welcoming place for the ignorant.

You just described halo customs and they are doing well. The issue with FH is vision. I will try to explain when I am in front of a computer tonight.

I guess you could say that any Halo forum that's still open is doing 'well' at this point, but I wasn't really talking about Forgehub's success or failure.  I was just trying to explain why a particular group of forgers (some of whom have migrated here) had a strong dislike for the site.

FH may get its power turned back on, but for what exactly?

When Overkill took ownership, he stumbled around trying to figure out how to attract people to the sight. He changed the vision of FH several times in less than one year. You can't do that and expect to gain traction. People who might find a vision interesting will lose all interest when it changes a couple weeks later. That showed incredibly bad indecisiveness on his part. But it also gave us a window into how thought process. He wanted to make FH glorious again. But the environment was all wrong and he didn't see it. He couldn't because his vision was to make it a business.

FH was great because it thrived initially on friendships, not business. People were throwing money into FH because they wanted a place to hang out at. Without that you can't start a site, and without that level of enthusiasm you cannot sustain a site on any business model.

Look at Halo Customs. HC was built by friends who thought there had to be a better environment to meet at other than FH. It is doing okay (or at least it looks like it is) because the people in charge are not trying to make it a business, but are passionate about the site and the friends they have with each other.

In my opinion, HC is today where FH was at its start and will become the next FH when forging becomes popular again. And their friendship and passion for forge (not business) has the power to keep them going even when others power down for the winter.

I don't hate FH, I am just saying FH is a thing of the past.

@A Chunk - I think that Overkill and a few others who frequented FH were trying to make it the premier competitive forging site.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Issue I saw was Overkill tries to buy success, you have to work for it.

I did check out the site when it first opened again, was really hard to navigate, got flamed then never returned. That's me though.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Disclaimer: I am not bashing forge, or forgers with this post.

I personally think that sites based around Halo Forge are destined to fail.  The content is simply too tunnel vision and doesn't really attract a major outside audience.  What I mean by this is - when you have a website with Serious Forgers on it, they tend to put off an un-welcoming vibe.

Also how many serious Forgers are out there honestly? Not that many - a handful compared to just normal everyday fans of Halo right?  I mean here we cater to the competitive audience but there are plenty of conversations and threads here that happen that arent 100% super sweaty tryhard status.

Idk and my personal experience with a small group of the Forging community is that some (not all) put out a weird egotistical attitude because they forge maps, which is for sure a turn off for new comers to the scene.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Disclaimer: I am not bashing forge, or forgers with this post.

I personally think that sites based around Halo Forge are destined to fail.  The content is simply too tunnel vision and doesn't really attract a major outside audience.  What I mean by this is - when you have a website with Serious Forgers on it, they tend to put off an un-welcoming vibe.

Also how many serious Forgers are out there honestly? Not that many - a handful compared to just normal everyday fans of Halo right?  I mean here we cater to the competitive audience but there are plenty of conversations and threads here that happen that arent 100% super sweaty tryhard status.

Idk and my personal experience with a small group of the Forging community is that some (not all) put out a weird egotistical attitude because they forge maps, which is for sure a turn off for new comers to the scene.

wait let me reply again, just realized something you said i didn't catch the first time.

edit:

At first i thought you were saying that the vision of the site was too narrow to make a business out of it. I would have argued that if it is passion fueling the site then you throw your own money into it and the business aspect never enters your mind because you are too interested in what you and your friends are doing. this is what FH did at first, and this is what I see HC doing today.

But then I realized you were trying to say that forgers who drive those sites are sometimes too serious and they create a negative environment or atmosphere. In that regard you are correct. And their vision centers around them. But that isn't the staff. That is the forgers who are members. A healthy site doesn't permit NPD to run around on it, and thus will not present that to you or at least very little of it.

As for serious forgers, I think there are some, myself included. But when Forge MCC comes out I think the population of forgers will grow significantly. With Forge 5 I think it will explode (and I have my reasons). Most forgers then will not be serious, but some will be. Sort of like how many here are serious about competition, yet how many actually compete? You will have your serious forgers, and you will have your forgers who are so serious that they will get their maps into the Halo 5 playlists. and you will have your casual forgers just as you have your casual players.

the biggest reason there are not a lot of forgers is due to a lack of interest in halo 4. and now forge 4 / halo 4 has a very short life left in any interest at all.

At first i thought you were saying that the vision of the site was too narrow to make a business out of it. I would have argued that if it is passion fueling the site then you throw your own money into it and the business aspect never enters your mind because you are too interested in what you and your friends are doing. this is what FH did at first, and this is what I see HC doing today.

This is sort of what I am saying, but also that Halo Forging is too narrow.  Like a website about Halo in general is one thing, but a website based around a feature inside of the game seems like you are just shooting yourself in the foot + mix in negative attitudes and unwelcoming vibes and its basically destined for doom.

Now as far as the business side of things: if it costs say $50 a month to keep your servers up and running then go for it right?  However once you start reaching a point where the costs become substantial you have to make some decisions, and thats when the business side of things start coming into play.

Beyond for example was created out of passion but developing the "business" side of things has helped us far more than I ever could have imagined. Things like establishing partnerships with companies to assist in marketing so more people can become aware of our site and what we are passionate about here is a good example.  I think a good website has a nice balance of passion but can also handle itself on the business end so your site can grow and (not to sound corny) be the best it can be.  

However everything is on a case by case basis depending on what is happening at them time.  Like I feel we were extremely lucky here to start a forum in the middle of Halo 4, one of the lowest points in Halo history and then see Halo on the hype train and on the rise a short time after.  If 343 was not pushing an e-sports agenda, the MCC was not announced + Halo 5 + beta and we continued down a road similar to Halo 4, it would only be a matter of time before most Halo community sites would just go to the wayside.

• Upvote (+1) 3

just going to say i dis-agree with a forge focused site being so narrow focused it can't survive. a forge site focuses itself around community content with community content being one of the biggest reasons people will go looking for forums in halo because of the forge feature, that huge silent majority wants to play those silly stupid crazy maps in custom games with their friends regardless of the quality, they just want to have fun on something different. if you've ever joined a halo customs lobby you can see this in action. the only reason such a site can't survive is when the community for the game is none existent like it is at the moment but when a community is there such a site thrives. actual posting activity might be low-ish but the the traffic is still really high allowing for the ad money to pay the fees.

i also don't agree with serious forgers being intimidating, these people just understand how things work on a much deeper level then the random people coming to share crappy content so these serious forgers will obviously be highly critical in an attempt to help the person learn. this is the same thing i have also seen on this forum, when new people arrive and start posting when they lack information the serious people pounce on them in the same manner. if that isn't a bad thing here then i fail to see why it would be a bad thing on a different website.

lastly, any community is intimidating from the outside because people get nervous joining groups that they don't understand then inner workings of so they don't know how they will be treated when they first arrive. they're scared that they might be bitten it and tossed around which is entirely a normal reaction.

• Upvote (+1) 2