Sign in to follow this  
Teapot

Why doesn't AGL run side tournaments for past halo's

By teaming up with others the venue cost will be cut drastically as well as equipment costs. It sounds like the Halo 1 players are willing to support their own community with prize money and equipment. There's likely to be a big tournament regardless of whether any collaborations happen. So from there, we could possibly use those OG xboxes and CRTV's for the Halo 2 portion, or just use 360's. Depending on the venue, a lot of the equipment could already be there.

Battlefield Knoxville was the only person to ever respond to me about a Halo CE tournament. I didn't even tweet them directly and they responded. I know they don't have any CRTVs or OG boxes unfortunately, but I'd like to host an event there just based on their dedication alone.

I'd much prefer a venue than in the hotel rooms. I want this to be streamed, covered, and commentated. Nobody will be willing to travel to an event if it was purely hotel room games.

For some strange reason AGL starts on a Friday morning, so why not just have a tourney each day for each game?

For some strange reason AGL starts on a Friday morning, so why not just have a tourney each day for each game?

Time constraints will be a huge factor in a tournament like this. We would hope to provide some schedule that allows players the freedom to compete in every tournament, but that would take a ridiculous amount of planning. I'd like to offer a little bit of everything, Halo CE 2v2/1v1/FFA, same for Halo 2. Maybe Halo 3?

Brad might have something to say about this, but my understanding of AGL's position on Halo is that we want to support 343i in any way we can. This boils down to drawing the biggest crowd for their games.

IMO if there was a tournament everyone would want to play the game they like more, and lets face it - Halo 4 hasn't proven to be that for a lot of people.

We want to support and encourage 343i to find a happy medium between their vision and a game that is very competitive like we want.

We don't want to further isolate ourselves from the general population.

Again I'm only a dev and I don't really make business decisions unless Brad asks for my opinion.

I dont think anybody wants Reach

v7 Reach is actually pretty fun to play/watch. Better in both aspects compared to Halo 4. Plus you can still practice online, not to mention having a better online hit registration than H3. 

Still, H3 would probably pull in more spectators and competitors than Reach.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

This can work pretty damn well

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

v7 Reach is actually pretty fun to play/watch. Better in both aspects compared to Halo 4. Plus you can still practice online, not to mention having a better online hit registration than H3.

Still, H3 would probably pull in more spectators and competitors than Reach.

Meant to +rep, my bad, my phone

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just set a cap on the number of teams, so you are able to get through a Halo game per day? If we want Halo 1-3...unless reach is to be included as well. I have a feeling that if a team is going to enter for Halo 3, they would want to enter for Halo2 for example as well. So you don't really want them going at same time, or else there would be a lot of issues.

Brad might have something to say about this, but my understanding of AGL's position on Halo is that we want to support 343i in any way we can. This boils down to drawing the biggest crowd for their games.

IMO if there was a tournament everyone would want to play the game they like more, and lets face it - Halo 4 hasn't proven to be that for a lot of people.

We want to support and encourage 343i to find a happy medium between their vision and a game that is very competitive like we want.

Again I'm only a dev and I don't really make business decisions unless Brad asks for my opinion.

Could you do me a huge favor and ask brad if he would be willing to at least talk to me about this?

I completely understand where you guys are coming from. Although a lot of halo fans might not prefer Halo 4 to the others, I still think we can have a decent turn out, especially if we make sure to prioritize the tournament in 343i and Halo 4's favor. I hope for it to be mainly a Halo 4 tournament that's supporting other Halos. It's going to be difficult to figure out the logistics for sponsor participation since the series was made by more than one developer.

I'll have to think of ideas on how we can make sure to showcase Halo 4 in the spotlight. Granted Halo 4 out of the box wasn't ideal for the competitive community, 343i has taken strides to provide us with more competitive settings, and have at least attempted to work on various requests we've had. If anything, we're way closer to "classic" halo than we were 6 months ago. I hope to show halo fans from all generations the progress halo 4 has made.

Could you do me a huge favor and ask brad if he would be willing to at least talk to me about this?

I completely understand where you guys are coming from. Although a lot of halo fans might not prefer Halo 4 to the others, I still think we can have a decent turn out, especially if we make sure to prioritize the tournament in 343i and Halo 4's favor. I hope for it to be mainly a Halo 4 tournament that's supporting other Halos. It's going to be difficult to figure out the logistics for sponsor participation since the series was made by more than one developer.

I'll have to think of ideas on how we can make sure to showcase Halo 4 in the spotlight. Granted Halo 4 out of the box wasn't ideal for the competitive community, 343i has taken strides to provide us with more competitive settings, and have at least attempted to work on various requests we've had. If anything, we're way closer to "classic" halo than we were 6 months ago. I hope to show halo fans from all generations the progress halo 4 has made.

Send him a tweet, if he's interested he'll respond!

Send him a tweet, if he's interested he'll respond!

Sorry man I've tried tweeting him about other things in the past and haven't had any luck. I swear I'm using twitter wrong because I don't get any responses. I offered him a proposal a few times in the past and couldn't get an answer, but had a friend tweet them and brad answered fairly quickly.

There's no way I can sell this pitch on twitter. I need to be able to exchange ideas with more than 140 characters.

As someone on the AGL staff, you couldn't just point him over here? I'd really appreciate it because I can't seem to get help if I got on my knees and begged for it.

Halo 2 2v2 Tourny and that would be the end of it  :)

I would be more than happy to watch that 24/7.

Here's an idea. 

Let's have side tournaments with EVERY Halo. 

Then, when each Halo is at its championship match, we position all the stations in a circle...and see which one gets the most people crowded around it. 

and can we inv 343 to this event to watch it all unfold?

This is one reason I can see it not happening. There's also a potential that a Halo CE/2/3 tournament would pull players away from a Halo 4 tournament, which would cut the prize money for the Halo 4 tournament. Plus there is always a time constraint at AGL events. It takes almost the full 2 days to run a proper tournament. There is a potential for a tournament on Friday, but a one day Halo event would be really hard to handle. I feel like the best way to approach this would be to have a throwback Halo tournament during the offseason. A whole tournament dedicated to a previous Halo game. I know Brad was thinking about doing this.

So much stuff going on here......

To start off I do agree that a throw back event can draw old player and more numbers no doubt.

A throwback event will NOT replace a normal Halo 4 event.

The issues at hand are fairly simple thou:

-Equipment

-Venue Size

-Time issues

-Taking players away from the main game Halo 4

-How do you practice for Halo 1/2

-Old games are Bungie not 343

-We want to support 343 and move forward into the possibilities of the future not the past

-Fridays are now FFA and 2v2

I would propose these options as possibilities here:

1. We acquire bigger venues and charge for a BYOC section that people can play in how ever they wish. This would allow all players to play any games they bring and not take away form the main game. However we can not stream the game or have a tournament style payout for them. No betting can be taking place and we would monitor that. If money and payouts are involved it must all be handled through us.

2. Community members talk to us (AGL) and take care of putting together a side event say Halo 3 or Halo 2 at one of our events. Everything gets run and hosted through us but we would have to put limitations on the process. Such as the side event is only Friday and will not interfere with the FFA or 2v2 for Halo 4. So now competitors can choose to play in the 2v2/ffa vs the throw back 4v4. The team limit will have to be what can be handled via the amount of equipment acquired for a single day event. You have to wonder thou how many people in this scenario will choose the throwback over the 2v2 and FFA? Or will it generate a new crowd? How big will the payout be?

3. During the off season of our Halo 4 events we have a dedicated Throwback event. This would mean it takes place in January or February. Location I have no idea. Payout I have no idea. Number of teams per game I have no idea.

If you need to talk to me personally

please add me on skype brad.weir07

or email me at [email protected]

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

First off, thank you both brad and loch for shedding some light on the situation. I just got to my 2nd job so can't write a response till I get a break later on.

I read the post and see all your concerns. I'd like to talk and sort through each and everyone with you soon. I absolutely understand the type of relationship you have and want to continue to establish with 343. Do you think it's best for me to talk through bravo in that sense?

Brad, let me talk to the community members who are willing to take these risks and confirm some things. We were already looking to host a $10,000 + halo CE tournament early next year (January) down in Orlando. While this isn't all my prize money, I am contributing and would have to see if all the parties were to agree to team up. Essentially, AGL presents Halo Throwback. The entire event could go under the AGL banner, but also give credit to those involved who put together the event. Btw the venue in Orlando can fit 400-700 people, but we have a lot more logistics to talk.

You'll be getting a detailed e-mail from me later today.