Sign in to follow this  
Teapot

Why doesn't AGL run side tournaments for past halo's

I know AGL has had a halo 2 throwback match at one of the earlier AGL's, but I was curious as to why they don't have more or showcase some other games in the series. These past games aren't going to be huge draws, but right now they are the only company with halo as their flagship title.

That being said, wouldn't you think that we could slowly get more people back into halo I'm general if we appealed to a wider halo fan base? I'm sure everyone here has heard it or seen it posted, but a lot of old players dislike halo 4 and want a more classic halo feel. Well, while we might not be there 100% just yet, we are at least on track. This would at least help draw anyone who once cared about halo and give them a chance to see where halo 4 is now.

These don't have to be tournaments, they can be stations for free play or money matches, grudge matches, dream matches etc.

I know I can't be the only one who would go just for old titles. Just about all my old halo friends agree. They don't care enough about halo to attend an event, but if they could attend an event that had multiple games, allowing them to relive the nostalgia of intense halo 1,2 and 3 matches, they'd absolutely go.

So why not? I asked AGL almost a year ago for h1 side tournament with me funding it, and they declined citing space, room, and size as their reasons not to.

What do you guys think? I don't think it's that costly or time consuming to do this, and I don't think it would take that much more man power. Look at all those who are contributing and volunteering for halo 4, it wouldn't be that hard to find people who are as dedicated for the various other titles.

On another note, why don't they team up with others who would want a large scale tournament? Howies gaming shack has about 200 copies of halo 2 and enough tv's n OG's to host a big tournament. Legendpimps is looking to throw down a large halo 1 tournament offering more prize money than AGL. It's not finalized, but he's talking about putting up $10,000 for prizes. I'm putting up an additional $1,000 in prize money, and told him more depending on the size of the tournament.

I'd like to see AGL team up with everyone else who is willing to appreciate the halo series and is willing to dish out money for what they love. Could you imagine a tournament that showcased all halo titles? All the prize money, the variety of gameplay as well as varying pros and faces throughout the years.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Would be awesome to see multiple Halo's at an AGL. Have you tweeted them more recently? Maybe link them to this thread or something? I really don't see why they wouldn't at least *try* this idea, if it isn't as successful as they'd planned then they don't have to continue supporting it.

I would play in a Halo 3 tournament :)

Despite the competitive merit of halo 1 and halo 2, I could easily see halo 3 being the biggest draw.

Would be awesome to see multiple Halo's at an AGL. Have you tweeted them more recently? Maybe link them to this thread or something? I really don't see why they wouldn't at least *try* this idea, if it isn't as successful as they'd planned then they don't have to continue supporting it.

No I haven't tweeted them recently. I gave up honestly. I sent pm's to brad and giggle, tweeted them and their AGL page. They never got back to me. The only way I got an answer was through akuma who asked on my behalf.

I honestly need someone who is more connected with them to help if this was to ever get started. Unfortunately if you're just a random person you don't have a good shot at getting a response from the halo community such it's such a clique based community. That even goes for this site.

If people like the idea, tweet them and point them towards the thread.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Despite the competitive merit of halo 1 and halo 2, I could easily see halo 3 being the biggest draw.

No I haven't tweeted them recently. I gave up honestly. I sent pm's to brad and giggle, tweeted them and their AGL page. They never got back to me. The only way I got an answer was through akuma who asked on my behalf.

I honestly need someone who is more connected with them to help if this was to ever get started. Unfortunately if you're just a random person you don't have a good shot at getting a response from the halo community such it's such a clique based community. That even goes for this site.

If people like the idea, tweet them and point them towards the thread.

Mm, maybe try asking for the Beyond Twitter or Cyren/Saucey to Tweet them.

Did you try e-mailng Brad as well?

If you planning on organizing it and running it...hell I could even help. Love to get this going, and maybe that will convince my buds to actually return to Halo from League -.-

F/A for H2 haha

it's a good idea. but how will teams practice for h2 lol

Yeah and i heard xbc has been acting up for some reason so the best option would be h3 since it still has xbl.

Even having those games available at a side station available to play would be great like you said, I am sure pro teams could even scrimmage each other on stream for fun in these older Halo titles or even 1v1/2v2 since H1+H2 are best for that.

To be honest... I feel like a Halo 3 tournament could draw in big numbers.  Neighbor streamed it the other day and randomly had 800-1k viewers

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 3 / reach are the only ones you can practice online, so I assume they will be the biggest draws in terms of general population, but halo 2 and halo 1 will most likely draw in more familiar faces.

Idk what's up with xbc right now but I'm not too concerned with practice time for halo 1 and halo 2. It's just something we gotta deal with. I know not everyone has a pc and xbc, but it's out there if you have the money to spare (pc) and the dedication (xbc lol) that's why these should only be featured on the side because they aren't fully available.

Remember teams had halo 4 for weeks before the mlg Dallas tournament. It won't always be fair unfortunately in terms of practice time and accessibility, but however we can make it fair should be enforced.

Can't hurt to throw the offer out there saucey. I also wouldn't be surprised if they only wanted halo 3 and not the others. If that's the case they probably wouldn't need me or affiliate with anyone else.

To be honest... I feel like a Halo 3 tournament could draw in big numbers.  Neighbor streamed it the other day and randomly had 800-1k viewers

Yeah, unfortunately Halo 3 would bring in more spectators and competitiors than CE+H2 most likely because more people played/started at H3 and never touched CE/H2.

I remember Ninja streamed H3 for a bit a few weeks ago and he was pulling in like 1.5k viewers.

I think it would be a great idea.  Have a Halo 1 2v2 with some of the old timers at an AGL.  Have an H2 4v4.  But I agree that H3 would be the most popular.

I wouldn't advise putting much money into prizes though.  Just do them as show matches and stuff.

i think halo 3 tournys would bring alot of people in expecially those that left for cod that want that old nostalgic comp halo feeling back

Sorry for the ambiguity guys, but anything more would get this deleted. 

My posts are once again being deleted despite following the rules as far as I know, as well as being true. I wouldn't lie or make things up. I would love some clarification as to why I am constantly silenced on these forums? If people didn't want their actions acknowledged or brought up, they probably should haven't taken those actions.

Basic moral lessons aside, I think we can pull in some high streaming numbers for halo and some have a good turnout at the event. I would still like to advertise the prizes for prior titles so there is more incentive for old players to return. Show matches are fine, and probably a good  place to start, but that's the bottom line essentially in what I'd like to see happen.

Nobodys mentioned reach yet, and I don't know the first thing about it so that's left up for you guys to discuss.

Halo 3 would definitely be a big draw. The peak of the lan scene by me was for halo 3, and I know I can probably get 5 teams to show up alone, and that's just in North NJ. I have no connections or contact with anyone, could you imagine if this was actually supported by pro's and companies with followings? Hell if I tweet this nothing will happen, but if MLG decided to be nice and show us some love, we could reach a large scale of older players. 

I love competitive Halo 2/3 as much as the next guy. But I don't know if I want this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe we can get back to the discussion of this? This is something I would love to see happen for the benefit of the halo community. It's a way to re-unite actual "halo" by bringing all fans together as one community rather than being split over the years throughout all the games in the series.

You guys said it yourself, Halo 3 will be a big draw, and I'm sure most venues already have TV's and boxes already. If LegendPimps goes through with it, we can have the Halo CE portion covered. If he covers that I'm sure I could cover H2. AGL can cover Halo 4 and take the spot light since it is the only active game really..  Still no talks of Halo Reach.

I could see Halo 3 being in higher demand than 3, but I often see Reach V7 and the anniversary map packs praised around here. Obviously the way this would work depends on the size of the event and the attendance, but these can either be money matches, show matches, or tournaments. We won't get the attendance for every game, so not each title in the sereis has to have an official tournament. It might be cool to take the winners of Halo CE 2v2 and stick them up on reach anniversary maps in a 2v2 against Halo Reach pros.

I might have to do a lot of convincing on the CE players' part, but there's a lot of possibilities we can see happen.

Here's an idea. 

Let's have side tournaments with EVERY Halo. 

Then, when each Halo is at its championship match, we position all the stations in a circle...and see which one gets the most people crowded around it. 

We'll force people to choose by starting all the championship matches at the same and have puckett commentate all of them.

• Upvote (+1) 1

On a serious note: I think side tournaments are good, but it depends how much they cost to run at the end of the day. I'm sure AGL is pushing pennies to put on the H4 tournaments alone, so we've got to put that in perspective too. However, if it could be some sort of BYOC with a few setups on the side somewhere, or in someone's hotel room, that could work to start stuff up, slowly and ish. Some venues will be larger than others, so obviously larger the venue, easier this might be able to do at the actual venue, instead of people's rooms.