• Automatic
  2. 2. Spamming curve?

• Bloom
    • Recoil ("kick")
    • Overheat
    • No artificial curve
  3. 3. Aim assist?

• Higher
    • Medium *(current BR/DMR levels, not necessarily RRR)
    • Lower
    • No aim assist
  4. 4. Zoom capability?

• 2x
    • 3x
    • 4x
    • Double zoom
    • No zoom
  5. 5. Shots to kill?

• 3sk
    • 4sk
    • 5sk
    • 6sk
    • Dynamic (Lightrifle)
  6. 6. Bullet spread within reticle?

• Yes
    • No
  7. 7. Bullet trails?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Kills per clip?

• Unlimited (energy-based)
  9. 9. *Rate of fire?

• Slow (H3 Magnum)
    • Medium (H4 DMR)
    • Fast (H4 Carbine)
    • *Dynamic - scoped vs unscoped (poll edit)
  10. 10. Old or new?

• Exactly the same as a previous utility weapon
    • Similar to an existing weapon
    • Completely new

Really, it could go either way. If the weapon is powerful enough, you wouldn't live to waste all of those bullets.

Out of curiosity, when are those bullets even necessary? Would you even remotely often need to shoot 16 bullets without having an opportunity to reload?

This is unrelated to the weapon itself, but hitboxes in the next game should be much tighter.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Strafing needs to be more responsive too. No more of this lengthy acceleration & deceleration to the point where players come to a complete stop before changing directions.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Out of curiosity, when are those bullets even necessary? Would you even remotely often need to shoot 16 bullets without having an opportunity to reload?

Not unless you play SWAT.

With some minor tweaking both the DMR and BR could be amazing and function well together in the sandbox. 2x zoom and 4sk seems to be the sweet spot for a utility weapon in Halo.

Changes to BR:

- reduce the spread (to light rifle levels)

- remove kickback

Changes to DMR

- change to 2x zoom

- reduce RRR and magnetism

- lower to 4sk with bleed through

DMR would a faster kill time but with lower aim assist and magnetism, it would be harder to land the crispy 4sk. I think this is what 343 was actually trying to achieve as well by making both the BR and DMR 5sk. However they DMR's AA and magnetism was too high making it OP.

And obviously bring back descoping.

And the weapon should descope, etc :p

I'm sure* they--:bravo:--will see to that.

- - -

*hopeful

I only voted for certain things, didn't vote for all them, but you have to pick all and there's a couple i don't understand. 

Bullet trails? Does that mean that it has traveling time and that it\s not hit-scan? Cause i'm down for traveling time, but not sure how it'll work on the internets. If you can get it to work then fuck yes traveling time. 

Dynamic or rate of fire like the Halo 2 BR or the H:Reach ZB DMR or even H4 DMR.

Old or new? Well what do you mean? Like an entirely looking different gun? Nah, use the BR skin cause everyone loves it. 

Bullet trails = like the Sniper, Carbine, LR etc, there is a line / laser thing showing you the trajectory of the bullet after it's shot. Nothing to do with travel time.

Dynamic RoF = different RoF unscoped/scoped

Old/New = how similar the mechanics you have chosen are to a previous Halo primary weapon.

With some minor tweaking both the DMR and BR could be amazing and function well together in the sandbox. 2x zoom and 4sk seems to be the sweet spot for a utility weapon in Halo.

Changes to BR:

- reduce the spread (to light rifle levels)

- remove kickback

Changes to DMR

- change to 2x zoom

- reduce RRR and magnetism

- lower to 4sk with bleed through

DMR would a faster kill time but with lower aim assist and magnetism, it would be harder to land the crispy 4sk. I think this is what 343 was actually trying to achieve as well by making both the BR and DMR 5sk. However they DMR's AA and magnetism was too high making it OP.

And obviously bring back descoping.

@bolded 1 Do you think both weapons would ever mix together beyond custom loadouts? Which would be the starting weapon and which the pickup, or could we finally get past the BRvsDMR debate and settle on both?

- - -

@bolded 2 Wouldn't a 2x zoom for the DMR be redundant with the BR and unnecessary because of descope? If the DMR is more difficult to use, then the player should be able to use it more effectively. A 3x scope could work if aim assist were dropped significantly.

- - -

There's a lot of debate over which one will prevail and go on to become the next utility weapon. But I don't think there needs to be just one. It would be better if all the precision weapons were actually useful for once. This would mean putting in a six-shot Carbine, five/four-shot Lightrifle, four-shot BR, four-shot DMR, and three-shot Magnum. The more effective a weapon is, the more skillful it should become. I agree, the BR-DMR rift could have been dynamic if the DMR, which was the obvious better before the update, had taken more skill to use.

- - - - - - -

I made this poll to find out what would make the best utility weapon for competitive play, but it doesn't have to be the only one.

The problem with the debate is 50% of the community wants a projectile weapon and 50% want a burst weapon. So both need to co-exist. However, the DMR with its long RRR, high aim assist and 3x zoom, it was not the best choice for 4v4 competitive play in Halo 4. If the BRs spread can be reduced it will be damn near perfect. Therefore the DMR needs to be balanced around it.

So no it wouldn't be redundant to make the DMR a 2x zoom. Most of the issues with the DMR stem from the fact that it is a 5sk weapon with long zoom and RRR. So if you make tune it to be closer to a 4sk CE Magnum, it will better balance with the BR and make more of the community happier. Yet still be unique enough to be different from the BR.

after rethinking what has been said at the other thread (aswell as owning up to being clouded by my own preferences on the issue), i've come to realize the perfect middle ground for both sides would be a human version of the light rifle. now hear me out, to give it distinction from the light rifle, it would be 4sk burst unscoped, 3sk single fire scoped. other factors would have to be adjusted to balance it out. I think this would be a great idea we all can get behind

after rethinking what has been said at the other thread (aswell as owning up to being clouded by my own preferences on the issue), i've come to realize the perfect middle ground for both sides would be a human version of the light rifle. now hear me out, to give it distinction from the light rifle, it would be 4sk burst unscoped, 3sk single fire scoped. other factors would have to be adjusted to balance it out. I think this would be a great idea we all can get behind

Questions about this weapon (just curious):

How many shots need to be scoped for the 3sk?

Would the rof change from unscope to scope?

Questions about this weapon (just curious):

How many shots need to be scoped for the 3sk?

Would the rof change from unscope to scope?

I haven't worked out the details yet so i'm open to suggestion if your interested

Hate to sound like a broken record, but the CE magnum is the perfect starting weapon. 

4 kills per clip means I can kill the whole team if I'm good enough, strength of one bullet and rate of fire means that I can drop people quickly at an appropriate pace, low bullet magnetism/fair reticle magnetism means  that I'm glued to my general target but still have to LAND my shots and that average kill times are moderate, bullets travel in a (nearly) STRAIGHT LINE, and any respectable main weapon should have reload. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Hate to sound like a broken record, but the CE magnum is the perfect starting weapon.

4 kills per clip means I can kill the whole team if I'm good enough, strength of one bullet and rate of fire means that I can drop people quickly at an appropriate pace, low bullet magnetism/fair reticle magnetism means that I'm glued to my general target but still have to LAND my shots and that average kill times are moderate, bullets travel in a (nearly) STRAIGHT LINE, and any respectable main weapon should have reload.

How about this: CE Pistol is the most difficult to use but also the potentially deadliest; the other precision weapons are on map; they're slightly easier to use and have advantages in each their own situations.

How about this: CE Pistol is the most difficult to use but also the potentially deadliest; the other precision weapons are on map; they're slightly easier to use and have advantages in each their own situations.

question is will 343 listen to these proposed changes without half assing it

Let's consider two versions of a zero bloom DMR.

1) H4 DMR with zero bloom

2) H4 DMR with zero bloom but fires twice as fast, requires twice as many shots to kill, and has twice the number of bullets per clip

Which DMR would be more difficult to achieve the optimum kill time on?

2) H4 DMR with zero bloom but fires twice as fast, requires twice as many shots to kill, and has twice the number of bullets per clip

2, the odds of landing 10-8 consecutive shots as opposed to 5-4 are smaller

Yes, a weapon that takes more shots to kill takes more skill than a comparable one with fewer shots to kill. Also, more shots to kill means less of a dependency on reaction time / instinct and more on actual aiming. So I take it you want a 5sk DMR?

Yes, a weapon that takes more shots to kill takes more skill than a comparable one with fewer shots to kill. Also, more shots to kill means less of a dependency on reaction time / instinct and more on actual aiming. So I take it you want a 5sk DMR?

What I want to know is:

If a weapon that fires faster and requires more shots to kill has a larger skill gap than a weapon that fires slower and requires less shots to kill, why do people want the DMR and not the Carbine?

^ I think there has to be a balance though, to many shots slows down the game. twice as much as what the utility weapons we have now do is setting it to far

What I want to know is:

If a weapon that fires faster and requires more shots to kill has a larger skill gap than a weapon that fires slower and requires less shots to kill, why do people want the DMR and not the Carbine?

Because they're racist and don't like green rainbows, that's why. No joke.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

What I want to know is:

Because Halo's strafe isn't fast enough to accommodate a significantly faster rate of fire. If I can shoot faster than they can strafe, that faster shooting is just superficial skill.

Because Halo's strafe isn't fast enough to accommodate a significantly faster rate of fire. If I can shoot faster than they can strafe, that faster shooting is just superficial skill.

This makes no sense.