• Automatic
  2. 2. Spamming curve?

• Bloom
    • Recoil ("kick")
    • Overheat
    • No artificial curve
  3. 3. Aim assist?

• Higher
    • Medium *(current BR/DMR levels, not necessarily RRR)
    • Lower
    • No aim assist
  4. 4. Zoom capability?

• 2x
    • 3x
    • 4x
    • Double zoom
    • No zoom
  5. 5. Shots to kill?

• 3sk
    • 4sk
    • 5sk
    • 6sk
    • Dynamic (Lightrifle)
  6. 6. Bullet spread within reticle?

• Yes
    • No
  7. 7. Bullet trails?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Kills per clip?

• Unlimited (energy-based)
  9. 9. *Rate of fire?

• Slow (H3 Magnum)
    • Medium (H4 DMR)
    • Fast (H4 Carbine)
    • *Dynamic - scoped vs unscoped (poll edit)
  10. 10. Old or new?

• Exactly the same as a previous utility weapon
    • Similar to an existing weapon
    • Completely new

Quake LG is more of a dueling gun for 1v1's. Because Halo is a team game with a significantly slower strafe and faster killtimes, an LG wouldn't have a place in the sandbox.

I assumed I could make strafe/killtimes whatever I wanted because it's the next game, but yeah, if everything was kept the same and the LG was just plopped into Halo 4s, it wouldn't work. 

Single shot, no bloom/recoil/spread, low aim-assist, 2x zoom, 3sk, 4 kills per clip, high rate of fire, projectile weapon.

Yea my thread completely went up in flames, i didnt really give alot of options for creativity, and once people started putting little tweaks onto the choices they picked, people just got confused and everything went to shit. i Like the layout of this poll  :)

I want a magnum just for nostalgia sake, but slightly tweaked:

Slightly lower rate of fire then CE magnum, and 4 shot kill, so that the kill time would be somewhere between .9 seconds to 1.0 seconds.

No spread, recoil, or bloom(zoomed and unzoomed), with projectile bullets that would make you have to lead shots at long range. 

12 round clip, low aim assist, 2x zoom. Really dont know how i feel about bullet trails, i voted no, i think a small red indicator from the direction you are getting shot and bullet sound as they go past your head are fine as is. 

Really dont know how i feel about bullet trails, i voted no, i think a small red indicator from the direction you are getting shot and bullet sound as they go past your head are fine as is.

Or they could remove the indicators, and the bullet trails would be a more skillful way to determine the assailant's position. Just some food for thought.

• Upvote (+1) 2

My primary concern regarding an utility weapon is not having randomness. Single-shot best achieves this, but if there can somehow be a burst weapon that doesn't have random spread then I'm fine with that too. If it's not random, takes skill to use, and has appropriate kill time and range for the game's other settings then I don't really care what it looks like or the exact particulars.

My exact thoughts.  I'm fine with BR burst fire- just take away the bullet spread.  Preferably have a killtime in the 1-1.5 second range, although this of course depends on sprint/no sprint and other sandbox factors.

No artificial curve (can't have that for single shots without an insane rof.. and idk how you would do it without randomness either)

The only way for an artificial pacing curve for rate of fire not to be random is to have overheat, like on the Beam Rifle and Storm Rifle. Of course, most people think using energy weapons as the main utility weapon would be ridiculous, but I thought I'd add the option in order to avoid a bias.

The only way for an artificial pacing curve for rate of fire not to be random is to have overheat, like on the Beam Rifle and Storm Rifle. Of course, most people think using energy weapons as the main utility weapon would be ridiculous, but I thought I'd add the option in order to avoid a bias.

Cadence Enforcers - punishes players who fire too fast

Accuracy - accuracy penalty when fired too fast, DMR for example

Time - rate of fire penalty when fired too fast, Beam Rifle for example

Damage - damage penalty when fired too fast, not featured on any Halo weapon yet

Effectiveness - effectiveness increases when time is taken to use the weapon's secondary fire, Plasma Pistol gains a homing ability and damage buff for example

Wait...are people voting that they want a "New" utility rifle that is 4sk?

Then what the hell is the BR? And why put +2 4sk in the game?

I'm surprised at the number of people who are voting for no recoil. I think managing recoil increases the skill gap and is a better mechanic than bloom when it comes to preventing spamming (since bloom can be random). On an unrelated note, I just hope that flinch dies with Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd like a single-shot 4SK weapon to replace both the BR and DMR.

It depends solely on how the Energy Weapon is designed in my opinion, and there are some unique traits that can be added to Energy based Weapons that others can not be given as well. I already feel Covenant Plasma Weapon's such as the Plasma Pistol, Storm Rifle, and others that are powered by a Energy Battery should be able to recharge their ammo, battery power, slowly overtime, but once the ammo is completely used up that would be it as normal. It would honestly add a unique aspect to those type of weapons and make them more valuable in the field as well in my opinion, so I am open to other ideas, suggestions, for the Energy based Weapon's as well such as a great Energy based Precision Weapon that everyone can love.

The Overheating function is not bad and it could work on a Energy based Precision Utility Weapon even one that is not Covenant in origin, especially if it forced you to pace your shot's while attempting to keep the weapon from overheating during a conflict as well. I remember that kind of control being something you used to have to focus on when using the Plasma Rifle in previous games especially. You could always have atleast another Precision Weapon that acts similar and does have the Overheat function to add more variety to the game, that is always a nice thing to see, a new toy.

Overall though, I would prefer seeing a Energy based Precision Weapon similar to the Light Rifle in the way it has to be reloaded and how it acts like a ballistic, energy, hybrid, something that works out really well for it. I would prefer the single shots that are fired to appear like blue ballistic bullets of energy, with a visible bullet trail that only lasts a small amount of time, with the added ability to score 3 kills a Clip, before having to reload.

I'm open to something completely new or something similar to our current weapons, or previous game weapons, especially the Halo CE Magnum, Halo 2 BR, DMR, Light Rifle, as they are the ones with the most potential. However though I would prefer seeing the weapon be a 4sk-5sk, with a kill time of 1.1-1.5, and all the awesome benefits of taking and learning from the very best weapons within Halo to create something unique and fun to use that has a skin/design new to all players.

Cadence Enforcers - punishes players who fire too fast

Accuracy - accuracy penalty when fired too fast, DMR for example

Time - rate of fire penalty when fired too fast, Beam Rifle for example

Damage - damage penalty when fired too fast, not featured on any Halo weapon yet

Effectiveness - effectiveness increases when time is taken to use the weapon's secondary fire, Plasma Pistol gains a homing ability and damage buff for example

Your "Cadence Enforcers" idea is unclear; bloom is random; yes, I mentioned overheat; a damage penalty seems overcomplicated and goes against the law of player empowerment; in my experience, the p-shooter is much more effective (against infantry) when fired repeatedly, not through EMPing. *pew pew pew punch*

Why, indeed.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Or they could remove the indicators, and the bullet trails would be a more skillful way to determine the assailant's position. Just some food for thought.

hmmm ill chew on that one

No aim assist, no spread, and no bloom.

The rest is superficial.

No Aim Assist on a console shooter?
  • Upvote (+1) 2

Ya overheat would work, but we're supposed to be getting off fast shots anyways. Either way the skill element is just knowing how fast the weapon can shoot, if you shoot early without overheat, you lose some time pulling the trigger again, and with overheat the dynamics are the same except you'd get punished slightly more for missing (whatever the weapon swap time is).

It could also cause problems - say you're 1v1ing a guy and get him down to one shot, you can just spam the trigger a few times in his body for the kill (who cares if you overheat, he's dead). I suppose that if it's properly implemented (only two fast shots before overheating or something small like that), you wouldn't have a problem. I think I'll have to switch my utility weapon vote to overheat for now.. when I read overheat I thought about something rather different..

People might not want burst shot, spread, recoil, same kills/clip, etc.

I agree with the last two, but @bolded? There's a point at which aiming is so important to winning gunfights that it consumes and dilutes the other aspects of metagame like positioning, awareness, and communication.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Wow, I'm surprised at how many people are voting for the current aim assist.. perhaps that was just from before that note was added?

also lol 5 kills / clip option.

Wow, I'm surprised at how many people are voting for the current aim assist.. perhaps that was just from before that note was added?

True, the question was a bit vague before, but I tried to keep it unbiased. Also, many people think that more aim assist can result in more complex metagame. If I could redo that question (deleting and relabeling questions doesn't delete the votes) or add another one, it would be the type of aim assist. I think the best one is either acceleration or friction. I hate snapping because it feels unnatural, and I despise magnetism because I don't like being rewarded for something I don't deserve.

I'd like a single shot rifle with no forced reticle movement/inaccuracy, medium aim assist, low bullet magnetism, 2x zoom scope, 4 shots to kill (same RoF as the CE Pistol, resulting in a 0.9s time to kill), negligible to no spread, either 3 or 4 kills per clip (clutch factor vs spare bullets to spam, I don't mind either way) and for it to be given a completely new skin.

As for bullet trails, I don't mind either way but faint trails like on the H4 DMR would be okay.

Ideally it would be a projectile based registration, but given how important online play is for tournament practice it could be a much more reliable decision to go with hitscan.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The rest is superficial. 

Having a 4SK isn't really superficial; in team environments(2v2/4v4), it takes the minimum amount of shots for each teammate to put in an equal amount of bullets, without requiring one player to do any more work than the other.

Having 16 bullets per magazine under the assumption a weapon is a 4SK allows one player to kill an entire team without reloading if they don't miss.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Having a 4SK isn't really superficial; in team environments(2v2/4v4), it takes the minimum amount of shots for each teammate to put in an equal amount of bullets, without requiring one player to do any more work than the other.

Having 16 bullets per magazine under the assumption a weapon is a 4SK allows one player to kill an entire team without reloading if they don't miss.

But..

Chance of last four bullets being used to get an overkill by yourself: near zero

Chance of last four bullets being used in case somebody missed a bunch of shots / didn't reload before: much higher

In a vacuum, I think it makes sense to give players 4 kills / clip, but given that 99% of the time, players will be using those last four shots as buffer because they missed, I think it makes more sense to go with 3 kills / clip. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I only voted for certain things, didn't vote for all them, but you have to pick all and there's a couple i don't understand. 

First of all, it's gonna be the BR skin cause that's the most favourite weapon in Halo. 

It should be dynamic, it adds depth to the game type, but burst is fine too. 

No artificial curve.

H3 had decent aim assist so something similar to that, if not lower?

2x zoom

Dynamic, 4sk unscoped, 3sk scoped. Or just a 4sk.

No spread obviously. I honestly don't think this should be an option. You should've made it "No spread" and then only have "yes' as an answer.

Bullet trails? Does that mean that it has traveling time and that it\s not hit-scan? Cause i'm down for traveling time, but not sure how it'll work on the internets. If you can get it to work then fuck yes traveling time. 

Edit: Kills per clip = 3. Halo:CE-Halo 3 have all been 3-4 kills per clip(Halo:CE being 4 skills). Let's keep that going. Halo:Reach was the first game where you couldn't get at least 3 kills per clip until they changed it after the Beta. Then Halo 4 went and fucked that up too. 

Dynamic or rate of fire like the Halo 2 BR or the H:Reach ZB DMR or even H4 DMR.

Old or new? Well what do you mean? Like an entirely looking different gun? Nah, use the BR skin cause everyone loves it. 

But..

Chance of last four bullets being used to get an overkill by yourself: near zero

Chance of last four bullets being used in case somebody missed a bunch of shots / didn't reload before: much higher

In a vacuum, I think it makes sense to give players 4 kills / clip, but given that 99% of the time, players will be using those last four shots as buffer because they missed, I think it makes more sense to go with 3 kills / clip. 

Really, it could go either way. If the weapon is powerful enough, you wouldn't live to waste all of those bullets.