• Automatic
  2. 2. Spamming curve?

• Bloom
    • Recoil ("kick")
    • Overheat
    • No artificial curve
  3. 3. Aim assist?

• Higher
    • Medium *(current BR/DMR levels, not necessarily RRR)
    • Lower
    • No aim assist
  4. 4. Zoom capability?

• 2x
    • 3x
    • 4x
    • Double zoom
    • No zoom
  5. 5. Shots to kill?

• 3sk
    • 4sk
    • 5sk
    • 6sk
    • Dynamic (Lightrifle)
  6. 6. Bullet spread within reticle?

• Yes
    • No
  7. 7. Bullet trails?

• Yes
    • No
  8. 8. Kills per clip?

• Unlimited (energy-based)
  9. 9. *Rate of fire?

• Slow (H3 Magnum)
    • Medium (H4 DMR)
    • Fast (H4 Carbine)
    • *Dynamic - scoped vs unscoped (poll edit)
  10. 10. Old or new?

• Exactly the same as a previous utility weapon
    • Similar to an existing weapon
    • Completely new

This makes no sense.

If the strafe isn't fast enough to dodge multiple shots from the carbine, the faster fire rate just makes it less controllable. I'm doing the same thing with the carbine as the BR, I just pull the trigger faster which destabilizes my aim more. This is artificial difficulty, which is pointless and goes against Halo's philosophy as a game to empower players.

If the strafe isn't fast enough to dodge multiple shots from the carbine, the faster fire rate just makes it less controllable. I'm doing the same thing with the carbine as the BR, I just pull the trigger faster which destabilizes my aim more. This is artificial difficulty, which is pointless and goes against Halo's philosophy as a game to empower players.

Destabilizes your aim?

Destabilizes your aim?

Firing as fast as possible and having your reticle fly up into the clouds.

Firing as fast as possible and having your reticle fly up into the clouds.

Does this happen to you? I have never heard anyone claim this before nor have I ever noticed this happening to me.

^ I think there has to be a balance though, to many shots slows down the game. twice as much as what the utility weapons we have now do is setting it to far

Actually, a weapon with a fast kill time and high amount of hits required can speed up game play. Take this exaggerated situation, for example.

- - -

In a FFA match, Players 1, 2, and 3 are using a weapon with no aim assist that kills in two hits. Player 1 is clearly the best (judging by the visible ranking system and scoreline of the match, which is certainly not measured by increments of ten, because that would be unnecessary, kind of like this tangent I'm going off on). Anyway, Player 1 knows he can beat either player in an even 1v1. So he approaches Player 2 and two-shots him; Player 2 was not as skilled, so he only got one shot to hit Player 1. While Player 2 is waiting in what is certainly not a kill cam, Player 1 is one-shot, no-shields. Player 1 sees Player 3 and knows that he can out-[insert name of utility weapon here] Player 3, but only in an even 1v1. So Player 1 waits an agonizing amount of time for his shields to recharge and finally two-shot Player 3, who gets Player 1 one-shot because of pure luck. Meanwhile, Player 2 has just respawned; Player 1 is forced to walk away from a fight he knows he can win--if he weren't constantly put into campy situations by bad players who can so easily damage his shields.

- - -

Let's look at Situation 2. Player 1 is still the best of the three, but they are using a different utility weapon that has no aim assist and requires six shots to kill. Player 1 seven-shots Player 2 (he's not perfect), who gets two shots on Player 1. Player 1 sees Player 3, challenges him, and gets a crispy six-shot while sustaining only three more shots of damage; no need to hide. Rinse and repeat.

- - -

I know you said there should be a balance, but even a slight increase (I know I exaggerated) can speed up game play.

Does this happen to you? I have never heard anyone claim this before nor have I ever noticed this happening to me.

Yeah, I don't know what they're talking about.

Strafing needs to be more responsive too. No more of this lengthy acceleration & deceleration to the point where players come to a complete stop before changing directions.

^^This, even if aim assist is too much a good strafe can do wonders, Halo NEEDS a good strafe it effects almost all 1v1 battles and most importantly it forces the opponent to adjust his reticle and allows tactics like peak-shooting to be effective  :)

H2 had an orgasmic strafe, the best I have ever experienced on a console shooter, its movement tactics are very fun and deep unlike modern Halo.

Yeah, I don't know what they're talking about.

The excessive motion of your fingers when firing the carbine shakes the controller.  It's sorta like turning vibration on, except to a lesser degree.

The excessive motion of your fingers when firing the carbine shakes the controller. It's sorta like turning vibration on, except to a lesser degree.

The difficulty you are experiencing is the very definition of skill gap.

What I want to know is:

If a weapon that fires faster and requires more shots to kill has a larger skill gap than a weapon that fires slower and requires less shots to kill, why do people want the DMR and not the Carbine?

Alien

More bullet magnetism

Alien

Green lasers everywhere is crazy

Alien

More bullet magnetism being the only legitimate answer. I see no reason not to in modded settings or the future, though.

So basically what you're saying is that we should push the rof up as fast as you can spam the trigger without it hurting? How much time/shot are you thinking?

The difficulty you are experiencing is the very definition of skill gap.

That isn't skill, it would be like requiring everyone to turn on vibration.

The excessive motion of your fingers when firing the carbine shakes the controller. It's sorta like turning vibration on, except to a lesser degree.

No, haven't had that happen to me yet. But I have very steady hands.

That isn't skill, it would be like requiring everyone to turn on vibration

York are wrong. Keeping your reticle on target and firing absolutely is a skill, one of the most core skills in a FPS actually. Explain to me how keeping your reticle on target and firing is not a skill.

York are wrong. Keeping your reticle on target and firing absolutely is a skill, one of the most core skills in a FPS actually. Explain to me how keeping your reticle on target and firing is not a skill.

Keeping your reticle on target is a skill, deepened by a better strafe/less auto aim, not by more unstable aiming.

Keeping your reticle on target is a skill, deepened by a better strafe/less auto aim, not by more unstable aiming.

You are the one making your aim unstable, not the game. If you got better you would be able to consistently achieve the optimum kill time with the Carbine. Skill gap.

inb4 but automatics don't take any skill

Serious: The faster you tune up the RoF, the more second chances you get for headshots. Thoughts?

So basically what you're saying is that we should push the rof up as fast as you can spam the trigger without it hurting? How much time/shot are you thinking?

Eh... I don't have any numbers, but around the H4 Carbine or slightly faster would do the trick. Increasing the rate of fire can raise the skill curve because missing a lot of shots can force you to reload and you have to have faster reflexes. On the other hand, slower shooting punished you more for missing timewise. But on a third hand (what kind of animal is this?), as I explained before, more shots means more skill.

Ultimately, slower shooting + fewer shots = skillful; faster shooting + more shots = skillful. Both the Carbine and Battle Rifle have their own dynamic skill curves. Did I even answer your question, or was I just rambling that entire paragraph?

Eh... I don't have any numbers, but around the H4 Carbine or slightly faster would do the trick. Increasing the rate of fire can raise the skill curve because missing a lot of shots can force you to reload and you have to have faster reflexes. On the other hand, slower shooting punished you more for missing timewise. But on a third hand (what kind of animal is this?), as I explained before, more shots means more skill.

Ultimately, slower shooting + fewer shots = skillful; faster shooting + more shots = skillful. Both the Carbine and Battle Rifle have their own dynamic skill curves. Did I even answer your question, or was I just rambling that entire paragraph?

Both :p Sounds good enough.

You are the one making your aim unstable, not the game. If you got better you would be able to consistently achieve the optimum kill time with the Carbine. Skill gap.

Getting better shouldn't be making hands more stable. That would be like saying better players can better control vibration. Developing skill should be a little more complex than just physical training.

Getting better shouldn't be making hands more stable. That would be like saying better players can better control vibration. Developing skill should be a little more complex than just physical training.

FFT: What about clawing? Is that uncompetitive?

I agree. Skills other than aiming are important. That doesn't change the fact that AIMING in SHOOTER is a very important skill to master.

inb4 but automatics don't take any skill

Serious: The faster you tune up the RoF, the more second chances you get for headshots. Thoughts?

...which makes it even more important not to miss in the first place because the other player could get you first if you choke.

I agree. Skills other than aiming are important. That doesn't change the fact that AIMING in SHOOTER is a very important skill to master.

Aiming is more than just physical training too. It requires me knowing the acceleration/aim assist, matching the maximum fire rate, finding the right sensitivity, knowing my opponents strafe, accommodating for errors, knowing how to position myself so I'm the least exposed while still being able to shoot, etc.