Sign in to follow this  
Envyus Evades

How come Arena Failed?

Remember the Halo Reach Visible, Skill-based, ranking system? Yup. The one with five divisions - Iron, Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Onyx. It even had a flashy percent next to that awesome symbol that showed your percentile within your division! Everything sounded just right, but yet, there was one bad thing - barely any players played it.

Now, my question to you all is that why do you think this system failed to attract players? Was it due to the fact that you had to play 4 games every day during the span of 5 days? Was it due to the lack of MLG settings? Was it due to the lack of playlists? Was it due to the Seasons? 

Also, do you think 343 (Joshua Menke), should just throw out this idea, or do you think he could actually make it work in upcoming Halo titles? How would you improve it and make more players attracted to it? 

It was Due to Reach not being competitive in general and not being spread across enough different playlists.

• Upvote (+1) 1

-The divisions didnt really mean anything, nothing was unique

-Awful settings

-Seasons too short

-Was only visible when in that playlist, or hidden away in the menus

-Updated only after 24 hours (big one this)

-Odd thing of only your best games counting

-People left the arena after the initial individual scoring

• Upvote (+1) 8

-Game was fairly poor itself (at the time)

-Team based gametype = players ranked by individual performance, not wins/losses = huh?

-Sword Base. Lots of Sword Base

-Division only updated every 24 hours

-Season was very short

-Rank was not visible outside the playlist or buried in the service record

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it was a really great system. In all honestly, Halo needs an ELO system similar to what they did with Arena.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Poor settings, limited to 1-3 playlists, starting out with individual ranking in team games, and finally it was advertised as being for the super hardcore players so it'll have been passed over by most.

If the TU ZB settings were in it people would have played. I know that I really only wanted to play Reach during the TU ZB settings or in the MLG playlist. The bloom and armor lock from Reach was almost unbearable.

• Upvote (+1) 1

No body played it so the skill gap between one players on the blue team and the red team were completely different,More players better ranking system

Bad settings

Should be the first playlist were the Global challenge is now 

arena failed because reach was just a bad game, its system was fixed after a huge out cry but fixing how it ranked players didn't fix how bad reach was as game as a whole, reach being an absolute nightmare of a game pushed too many players away to the point that there was a very small player pool placing people poorly.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The biggest reasons were the lack there of playlists, the loadouts and player's lack there of knowledge of how you were ranked.  People to this day don't realize, that your "Average daily rating" meant nothing and was only ever there for fun.  The way you were rated/ranked during seasons 1-6 was by your placings within the game.  So for example, if you lost 50-20 but had a rating higher than one of the players on the winning team, you'd still rank-up or "get a win."  It was essentially an FFA ranking system, where you were competing against all other 7 players for the best rating in that particular game.  However, the daily rating next to your tag, did not determine any rank-downs/ups you might receive that day.  

Once season7 came out, many players had zero interest, because they gave up on understanding the system.  This is when they changed the formula on how to rank up, solely on WINNING.  No longer did ratings have ANY effect on ranking up.  The only thing that mattered was the win.  And what determined how well you ranked up from that win, came from your win/loss, your teammates's win/loss and your opponents win/loss.

As far as settings go, Slayer Pro was very good in my opinion, however "Slayer DMRs" used jetpack loadouts, which was game-breaking in Reach.  Whatever team had red-team, had an immediate advantage on almost every map with jetpack loadouts.

Regarding playlists, that is common sense.  They maintained 4v4 Arena to this day, however they never implemented many other lists.  They had Arena Doubles for the first 6 seasons, and I have no idea why it was removed.  They also only had Arena FFA for 2 seasons.

They never had any objective arena playlists which made no sense.  Once Season7 arena came out, it utilized a Win/loss system, so Objective Arena would've worked perfectly.  MLG Arena would've been an awesome playlist in my opinion.

TL:DR Not enough playlists, bad loadouts, general lack of how the ranking system worked amongst most players.

As people have already said, it was failure at launch.  Ranking up based on individual performance in a team based competitive playlist was simply a stupid idea.  By the time this was changed to wins, it was too late.  The MLG playlist was already out most likely and competitive players went there.

I also think the whole idea of ranks and seasons resetting turned people off.  We were used to the past 2 Halo games where your overall rank would stay the same.

It failed because 1) It was Reach 

and

2) It had radar

• Upvote (+1) 1

No win/loss system, Jetpack, Sword Base, and radar.

Jetpack was eventually removed and win/loss added, but the damage was already done.

-The divisions didnt really mean anything, nothing was unique

-Awful settings

-Seasons too short

-Was only visible when in that playlist, or hidden away in the menus

-Updated only after 24 hours (big one this)

-Odd thing of only your best games counting

-People left the arena after the initial individual scoring

^100% This

When I played reach earlier, there were several thousand players in team slayer, 3 players in arena. Now this represents the population difference and when I tried the arena, games took years to find.

There are other reasons - but it was too hidden away for a start.

The big thing people overlook about the H2/3 ranking systems is the big part that "ranked" played in overall matchmaking. Not only were there two distinct categories in ranked and social, but your overall rank depended on your highest skill level.

Arena just felt like it was shoved on the end of matchmaking quite frankly. I was told how how many games I had to play, when to play them, only for my gold/onyx/whatever I achieved to totally vanish from all existence at the end of the season.

4 Reasons... ranging from most to least important...

1) Took too long to see immediate ranking results

2) MLG wasn't under that category (would have been GOAT ranking system if it was)

3) 50+% of the playlists in the "Competitive" category could have been slapped with the Arena and it would have been amazing.

4) Short Seasons (they got longer later on)

No MLG arena.

History in profile only showed 3 previous seasons, then was deleted. So if you played in seasons 1-4, your season 1 rank was gone (in game anyways)... no thanks.

-Didn't update in real time (waiting to the next day to see if you go up or down was bad)

-5th Percentiles instead of actual numbers (your Gold 75th percintile instead of your 3456th in the Gold Division)

-Only 1 Playlist instead of spread across all playlists ( I would love to have said I had an Onyx in MLG or Onyx in Snipers, etc.)

-No ladder/leaderboard (again, all you know is your division and percentile, you cant see who else is around you)

-The 1 playlist that used it had limited settings that not many people liked.