hapaxlegomena

What are you reading? // Lit General Thread

word. i'll say this: The Fall of Reach would make a better Halo movie than any other Halo work save, perhaps, Combat Evolved. 

Proust hasn't been work-friendly so I picked up Barthelme's Sixty Stories a little while ago to pick off one or a couple stories throughout my work day. I forgot how much Barthelme influences me. His stories speak volumes to the stylistic tendencies of my own writing. There is also an overt Beckett influence in his work a lot of the time which extends its helpful hand my way as well.

I disagree with the latter, I think you're spot on.

you think Fall of Reach has a better story than CE?

I'm reading the third policeman...all of a sudden you go into this weird place and dont remember how you got there, much like the protagonist(s), fucking crazy. 

I take an interest in any publication from Black Library. Usually Warhammer 40,000 novels/short stories.

Currently reading Path of the Incubus.

Dude samuel beckett's Murphy. Very Avant garde. Especially for the early to mid 20th century. Irish people know something we dont lol.

Also after reading at swim and the third policeman i can definitely say o'nolan is one of my fav writers. His prose brings me to envy.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm so stoked you enjoyed Flann. He's my dude. At Swim and The Third Policeman were instant favorites. At Swim was everything I ever wanted in a novel. It's level of bizarre absurdity worked so well. I think The Third Policeman only fell a single baby step behind, although that ending was thick. Both had me cracking up.

I haven't read Murphy yet, but I just bought it last week. Murphy is his most accessible novel from what my friend told me. I have Murphy, Watt, and Nohow On lined up once I finish Proust and before I start the James Joyce biography. Beckett is a pretty huge influence on my own writing. Flann is an influence as well, although on a much smaller scale compared to Beckett.

dat Irish water... something was definitely in it. Booze, for one.

I have not but im proud of u for reading some contemporary shit. David mitchell is hot like candy. I read summaries of it and maybe read a little of it at a time and it didnt appeal. Im finishing up molloy tho. At times i have no fucking clue what's going on. Also been reading some george orwell and finishing ernest in conjunction with modernism/postmodernism shit so my brain doesnt melt.

Well I haven't actually started to read it yet; I'm still stuck in Proust. Really slogging through In Search of Lost Time (brief update: going to take a break after the fourth volume* and move onto some more Beckett** and then a random short postmodern novel that I have yet to decide upon***, which is going to lead into the James Joyce biography by Ellmann. length is killing me). Who knows when I will ever actually get to black swan green. I just grabbed it because I wanted to make you happy. I have much more interest in cloud9dream for whenever I get to Mitchell. Speaking of contemporary, I have also acquired a couple Eggers and Franzen books from Savers recently. Savers is fucking money. 

The novels in the trilogy only get more sparse and erratic as you go. Molloy is the most linear of them all. I love them all near equally, but The Unnameable is so monumental to me that, in the end, it is far and away my favorite of the three, despite loving them all equally. Somehow this makes sense.

* the final volume Proust himself was able to revise & edit before his death

** Murphy, Watt, and Nohow On trilogy

*** probably A Maggot by John Fowles or Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry or Chimera by John Barth

I dont believe we have savers in my neck of the woods...I frequent goodwill from time to time.  They actually have some pretty good books usually for under a dollar or a few dollars.  I got those 3 bukowskis from a book stand for the price of free lol.  all gently used.

I'm really starting to get into Molloy, enjoyed the section I read today.  Should be done within a week depending on what else I look into.  At first I dragged through the soliloquy and random internal monologue, but now I'm viewing it as a device in the story, to pull you out and away from the physical reality.  I think the phrasing itself isn't as important as the use of the internal monologue in general.  Has made understanding and enjoying more realistic for me.  Starting to get why people jump on Beckett's dick. 

just ordered some amazon goodies...A portrait of the artist as a young man by joyce and a passage to india by e.m. foster

Molloy and malone dies have been amazing. Starting the unnameable soon. Also going to read some ayn rand objectivism and the poor mouth.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Man dude, you are really killin' it. Get sluiced in the miracle of Mr. Samuel Beckett. The Unnameable is out of this world. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Joseph campbell insight...the hero w 1000 faces and the power of myth are currently being utilized. Mythology and theology getting a new understanding.

Picked up Raising the Stakes: E-Sports and the Professionalization of Computer Gaming.  So far, so good.