Sign in to follow this  
LeandroTrooper

Did Bungie Damage Halo?

I dont know... but sometimes I see some posts pointing the finger at Bungie saying that it damaged Halo before 343, and somehow it lead 343 to where it is now.

Comments such as:
"People are still looking forward to Destiny. I was, but I remembered who ruined one of the best franchises out there, and it looks like 343 was left with the blame, and everyone forgot what Bungie did to 'Halo'"

"
To be honest I put most of my blame on Bungie. Which isn't probably fair, but they did hype up Reach so so so much...for such low expectations."

"If Reach never existed and 343 took the Halo franchise from Bungie after Halo 3, they would most likely have based H4 off H3, adding a few tweaks I bet. I don't think it would have occurred to them to add AA's, Sprint etc to a new game in a popular franchise, instead, 343 looked at the most recent Halo title and copied the majority of it to keep a "familiar" feel."

What are your thoughts, guys?

I agree with the above statements, bungie is not entirely at fault because we begged 343 for what we wanted and still got an unfinished game. Having said that , bungie created an entire fan base who likes aa's when they released reach. Bungie pushed halo off a cliff but 343 just watched it smack into the ground before rushing over to put a band-aid on Halo. Then they put halo back on the field before it had properly rehabbed.

Halo is like Booby miles, he tore his acl(reach) and instead of waiting to rehab so he can be a d1 talent again he goes back out and blows his knee out again(halo 4)

• Upvote (+1) 1

They ruined halo to move players to Destiny, I would do the same. Business my friend.

We didn't know about Destiny when Reach came out. 

We didn't know about Destiny when Reach came out. 

They were planning Destiny before Halo 3: ODST, for some reason there are Easter Eggs in ODST showing Destiny.

• Upvote (+1) 1

What would they stand to gain by creating a cruddy game besides a bad reputation and fewer sales?

They have players to gain and nothing to lose. So they messed halo up, who cares it isn't even their game anymore.

I don't play halo 4, but i will be first in line on release day for Destiny if that helps you understand.

Idk if Bungie purposely sabotaged Halo, but it would make sense if they did. They knew that once their contract with MS was up, that they would have no further obligations to the franchise and that they would need to move on to their next project which had been in development since Halo 3 at the latest. If they could drive the Halo fans away from Halo then they would have a bunch of people giddy to jump on the Destiny wagon. So far it seems to have worked.

They have players to gain and nothing to lose. So they messed halo up, who cares it isn't even their game anymore.

I don't play halo 4, but i will be first in line on release day for Destiny if that helps you understand.

But compare the Reach numbers and 2/3 MM numbers. I'm sure there was a ton of DLC money and stuff lost there.

-Halo 2 pre-patch

-Halo 3

-Reach

-Calling the 3SK Pistol OP

-Nerfing the main weapon from one game to the next

ODST was great, CE was perfect, but I simply can't trust Bungie enough. They have let me down far too often.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm pretty sure Bungie didn't make Reach with the intent to screw Halo over, it was their last Halo game and they probably wanted to experiment with what worked and what didn't.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They experimented with it so they know if they should put it in their new game or not.

I am a firm believer that Halo CE was a fluke. And Bungie really had no idea how to recreate the magic of the first game.

I don't think it was a fluke, Microsoft just tried to commercialize the franchise each title which is why we see each game go downhill. I think they pressurized Bungie into making some decisions with their game to make it appeal to a much wider audience.

At least that's how I see it.

I don't think it was a fluke, Microsoft just tried to commercialize the franchise each title which is why we see each game go downhill. I think they pressurized Bungie into making some decisions with their game to make it appeal to a much wider audience.

At least that's how I see it.

I am pretty sure that right there is the story of every game franchise in existence, Has there ever been a series that has gotten more "niche" or competitive as it progressed?

No, game series usually start out with a smaller core audience who loves that game to death, then as time progresses and trends change that original experience is iterated on to the point of dilution and 9/10 the original players of that series now hate it and the developer for ruining their favorite series. That is the point Halo is at right now.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I am pretty sure that right there is the story of every game franchise in existence, Has there ever been a series that has gotten more "niche" or competitive as it progressed?

No, game series usually start out with a smaller core audience who loves that game to death, then as time progresses and trends change that original experience is iterated on to the point of dilution and 9/10 the original players of that series now hate it and the developer for ruining their favorite series. That is the point Halo is at right now.

Yeah. :/ Pretty sad how that works, eh?