LeandroTrooper

What did seriously damaged Halo?

Reach. Reach is where Halo went wrong.

We used to have ranked/social matchmaking with in-game ranks, along with simple core gameplay. H2 may have added dual-wielding, but anyone could do it at anytime, and H3 added equipment, but neither broke the core gameplay (H3's equipment was sometimes a little stupid, particularly the power drain/bubble shield, but it was easily removed).

What was the core gameplay? The idea that players started out completely equal to each other, that each player started with the same weapon, the same grenades, the same physical abilities (jumping, crouching, movement speed). Reach changed that. Now, you could start with an AR, or a DMR, which wouldn't be so bad except one class just got sprint, while another got armor lock or a drop shield. And let's not get into bloom and how that screwed with the gunplay mechanics. Most damaging, however, in my mind, was the matchmaking being severely different from H3's in that there was no distinction between ranked/unranked playlists, that there were no ranks at all, just a military style rank which was based on playtime, rather than wins/losses.

There were arguments aplenty for the new system referencing cheaters being the reasoning behind this, but the existence of cheaters in Call of Duty and other, similar games with such ranking systems apparently was never considered or never taken seriously. Even casual players enjoyed being able to brag to their friends about their high Team Slayer rank, and without that, Halo became one of those titles you played for a few weeks because it was new, and then tossed to the wayside for something different, rather than being the game like H2 or H3, which you played constantly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Most people are still looking forward to Destiny. I was, but I remembered who ruined one of the best franchises out there, and it looks like 343 was left with the blame, and everyone forgot what Bungie did to 'Halo'.

Yeah, but look what 343i did to Halo as well. It's not like they had to keep AA's and keep no ranks. 343i is worse than Bungie imo. Bungie made Halo:CE, 343i made Halo 4...

Bungie did introduced shitty ideas in Reach though and 343i were dumb enough to re-use them.

Destiny looks amazing, regardless of what they did with Reach has nothing to do with Destiny since the are different games. One is an Arena shooter while Destiny is a shared world RPG FPS.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ranks

Sprint

AA
No Social

Descope

5 things that if they are not fixed/removed for Halo 5 it will not be worth the purchase. 

Don't get me wrong I love Halo 4. But after Reach and now H4 if we do not see a legitimately true to its roots Halo game as the next installment shits gonna hit the fan and whatever community we have left or that is beginning to rebuild is gonna just call it quits.

Yeah, but look what 343i did to Halo as well. It's not like they had to keep AA's and keep no ranks. 343i is worse than Bungie imo. Bungie made Halo:CE, 343i made Halo 4...

Bungie did introduced shitty ideas in Reach though and 343i were dumb enough to re-use them.

Destiny looks amazing, regardless of what they did with Reach has nothing to do with Destiny since the are different games. One is an Arena shooter while Destiny is a shared world RPG FPS FTW GG NO RE FFS BK

Had to :)

Lack of differentiation killed Halo.  343 tried too hard to mimic other successful titles (that do not need stating).

Two* of the games being broken and unplayable on release. I am of course talking about H1 and H2 :kappa:

*Four