LeandroTrooper

What did seriously damaged Halo?

Not trying to be an elitist here, but how come reach and h4 being broken, but not previous games. There were very large issues in past games and a fan fav (h2) was worse than h4 ever was for the first 6 months.

343 copied CoD more than Reach in my opinion. They just took AA's and shit guns like the DMR and social MM from Reach.... the rest like flinch, their whole "War games" set-up, PO's, default sprint, insta-respawn, progression systems, grenade indicators, removal of Halo medals for "points", easiest aiming in the series, this game was directly influenced by CoD and it does not surprise me Kevin Franklin the lead seems to have a huge hard-on for CoD-style gameplay.

Hahaha his favourite gametype is SWAT, fuck sakes.

My big issues were the incredible changes to dumb the game down and be more like COD.

Also, the lack of dev support, and no competitive map packs did me in....

I felt like the older games balanced both the competitive and casual groups pretty well with how the social and ranked playlists were set up. The core game was also much more enjoyable, and as the game started to step away from its identity both competitive and casual players alike lost interest.

Hahaha his favourite gametype is SWAT, fuck sakes.

I have no idea how this guy got lead, I am not one to bash people but he looks like hes in his 20's and had never worked on something as major as Halo MP. You would think the senior designer at 343 would of gotten priority over this guy, who's track record was working on Socom: Confrontation(A third person CoD rip-off as described by their community) and in general working on games that could not possibly prepare him to design an amazing Halo MP game.

I mean insta-respawn? Flinch? Default sprint? PW score-streaks? Removing medals for "points"? HOW could anyone familiar with Halo's style of play think this would work?

in all honesty other gametitles got bigger and were trying to in a sense bring back our so called "fans" that went to COD and so forth

I don't think you guys know that MS really changes the production of Halo.  They decide what mechanics to have, they decide what to add, they decide if something is good or bad for the game, they have the final say in pratically everything.

Sprint would have still happened, with Bungies love of spread I wouldn't be surprised if Bloom was also in "343i's Reach" and the list would go on.

If MS noticed something that was even slightly too difficult, the meta was maybe too much, the maps too complex, etc. they could have gutted the issue however the hell they wanted. 

Basing off a game from h3 wouldn't have helped as the game is already insanely gutted when it comes to competitive merit and 343i hasn't shown how their game hasn't been gutted for competitive merit.

This is why I don't think H5 is going to be any good.  Not because of 343i, but specifically MS in general.  I think people like Quinn, John Merke, etc are all fine additions to 343i but the issue is they have no freedom at all.  There is a true reason why devs leave AAA titles and it's mainly because the creativity isn't there at all.  Gearbox was offered to make MW3 and they had the same reason, they couldn't do what they wanted and had to listen to higher ups

if that were the case then all halo's would have been awful... MS are not developers and likely know little in regards to game developers, theyre behind the scenes of course but to say they say whether sprint stays or goes is silly.

gearbox are terrible developers, the fewer games they touch the better.

No good ranking system imo is the number one reason why halo is where it is

incorrect.

it was clearly due to it not having COD in the title.

Because the only people who asked for space-CoD are focus-group/survey-obsessed upstream marketers who spend more time in conference rooms at 343i than actually playing Halo or talking to the real fans.

not this again...

anyways to answer the OP I would say it was the decision to change, the only halo game to stay true to its predecessor was halo 3 and that was by far the most popular halo game to date.

I've been playing AC2 recently and its basically the same game but bigger and better, THAT is what they should have done with halo.

To be honest I put most of my blame on Bungie. Which isn't probably fair, but they did hype up Reach sososo much...for such low expectations.

• Upvote (+1) 1

but, ranks promote boosting!

lol

I know you're joking, But if they didn't make such a poorly designed Ranking system then people wouldn't take advantage of it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

changing halos core mechanics

bad maps in reach and h4 that you dont get addicted to playing

ranks

spread

bloom

flinch

no descope

making the game with to much sh1t added just to try to keep it fresh

camo os not being like they were

but what killed arena style halo by far is sprint. I think sprint with a weak strafe makes for such bad halo that those great 1vs1 battles we usta see and get excited for are gone. I think sprint is great for huge maps greater then 4on4 but 4on4 should never have sprint and thats how I hope they handle h5.

We need by halo 4s 1 year anniversary sprint out in throwdown a name change to team hardcore and less playlists. Also if the population by november hits 10k and stays there while we hold strong and boost to 1k in throwdown and not 500 it will send a great message.

the game will hold steady at 25k till new cod and new games and new systems come in November. But i see a huge portion of btb type players jumping ship and infinity slayer type players leaving next November wich is pretty much all of h4.

are people seriously still having this conversation?

Anyone feel free to add terrible basic interface to the lists forming. Little stuff like in 4v4's when a player quits on the other team and gets replaced it always says that he joined my team first even though my team is full... just poor construction in general. Looking back on halo it's not so much the obvious mechanical garbage that hurt the game for me, it was the little tiny things like what i mentioned above that really damaged my opinion of 343 and by extension halo 4 and my experience on the game. I was able to accept a 5 shot BR and forge map latency for a time after i got the game... it was the JIP, the seemingly random ban system, god awful connection and host selection etc. all the garbage in halo 4 that happened outside of an actual match the "damaged" halo 4.

Most people are still looking forward to Destiny. I was, but I remembered who ruined one of the best franchises out there, and it looks like 343 was left with the blame, and everyone forgot what Bungie did to 'Halo'.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Most people are still looking forward to Destiny. I was, but I remembered who ruined one of the best franchises out there, and it looks like 343 was left with the blame, and everyone forgot what Bungie did to 'Halo'.

Remember Reach  :P

• Upvote (+1) 2

It started with Reach. Garbage maps, 5sk bloomed out DMR, stupid armor abilities, shitty rank system (arena)

Then 343i came in with the no descope, sprint, instant respawn, score streaks, small amount of shitty maps.

343i and Epic pretty much tried to kill destroy their fan bases. At least Halo 4 is still in the top 10 most played on XBL. Just saying Gears Judgment gives me a rash.

But without Bungie we wouldn't have Halo. 

At the end of the day I don't think Reach was that bad. I definitely enjoyed it more than Halo 4.

The game didn't have a ranking system and wasn't fun enough to keep people coming back on its own.

If I had to pin it on one thing I'd probably be the maps. People got quickly tired of playing the same 2/3 maps over and over especially when there wasn't anything to create familiarity or strategy around i.e. weapon spawns.

But without Bungie we wouldn't have Halo. 

At the end of the day I don't think Reach was that bad. I definitely enjoyed it more than Halo 4.

Yeah, Bungie creates AAA games for the masses now, but their shooters always stand out to me in style, lore, and originality.

Like Halo's physic properties for example I dont know of any game that has them. In the first two Halo's its especially noticeable as you can launch warthogs, weapons fly everywhere, enemies do back-flips when you snipe them in the face, launch grenades, all sorts of jump tricks, its just a delight to have a game that realizes physics are fun and interesting and players like experimenting with them and feeling their presence. With H4 I feel like lots of those physics properties were stifled much like the originality of Halo was.

There is also the way they wrap everything in lore and importance, its cool that every map for example has its own story of how it came to be, even when they created Marathon shooters like Doom were all about the action, but they had things like story terminals, a rich story, and character development long before it became the norm for Sci-fi shooters. It also had one of the first map editors and you could look up and down, they always empowered the player and made their games stand out to me. I cant really hate Bungie for one game, because they made some of my favorite games ever and really understand what players want more than most developers. I just hope one day they will get back to how they used to make shooters and not be stifled by Activision with their new project  ^_^

A poor/shallow matchmaking experience is probably the biggest one. A lot of people don't really care what they play as long as their time investment feels worthwhile.
Call of Duty can get away without ranked matchmaking because of all of the unlocks and challenges there are to reward time invested. Halo doesn't have that; commendations are a shadow of CoD's challenges, there's nowhere near as much customisation, and it doesn't fit the gameplay particularly well. 
So Halo needs some kind of progression system that actually gives players something to show for just playing Halo - Halo 3's 1-50 + playlist EXP did this very well.

Now I'm not someone who thinks that ranks should be necessary - I'd rather the gameplay was good - but for the majority of the playerbase being able to feel like they're progressing even with something as simple as earning an EXP point for every game won is pretty important when it comes to player retention and focusing player behaviour on winning.

Here is the Ultimate list of all things said so far.

Long kill times

Slow movement

Jumping sucks

Strafing sucks

H4 and Reach grenades suck

User Interface Halo 4

No Beta Testing

Bungie's release of halo reach

Bloom

Bad Playlist management

Sprint

Armor Abilities

Personal Ordnance

Infinity Slayer

Huge/bad Maps

Unbalanced weapons out of the box

Forge 1.5

No competitive endorsements (spectator mode/MLG dropped Halo)

Flinch

No descope

Removed SEVERAL gametypes

No classic playlist at launch like we were promised

Capture the flag got destroyed in so many ways

Custom game options SEVERELY restricted

No custom power up

Can't toggle ordnance ammo or make timers static

Weapons despawn too quickly

No EXP

Terrible armor in Halo 4

Progression system

Annoying music while playing

Team Shark and Team Ray was unnecassary

Lack of color coded maps (top pink, bottom gold etc etc.)

No Clan Matches

No social/Ranked playlist

Developer support

No toggle animations.