Sign in to follow this  
SAMerreye

Oasis

The color variance is better than the reach version as well.

Preference I guess, but this just looks like Oasis in the winter time. I mean, even the water is nice and icy.

Also, I negged you because I didn't like your opinion and I'm pure awesomesauce

edit: and there he goes again.

• Downvote (-1) 2

I wish I was more constructive, but this is all I've got. I played the map once last night and although it was a bit of a trip down memory lane for everyone, I liked it. We got off topic of giving some criticism, but I'll hopefully get some more games in later this week.

I was just saying that I personally would recommend using the texture to the far left. But if you were going for color, I guess I understand.

I feel like there are cleaner ways of adding color: IMO, that side of the 3x3 shorts you are using just appears to be really busy. Anyway I'm so OCD so I just figured I'd throw this stuff out there as my own personal suggestions, I recognize not everyone has tastes as simple as mine, though:

[ click ] In this image, I flipped the 3x3's over, and also exchanged the 2x2 ramp for a stunt ramp angled at 27 degrees, with another stunt ramp on its side. Replaced the bridge that was being used as a wall with another stunt ramp to match. If that makes sense... If not I can highlight what my exact changes were. So, the stunt ramps add color (granted, not as much, but enough so that no one will be confused as to what side they're on, which is the point really).

[ click ] In this image, I continued the whole stunt ramp wall theme. In your initial version you used a mismatch of objects just to fit it together, (brace large + 2x2 flat + banks to fill the ramp gap), this way, the whole thing looks more unified and doesn't call for an array of out-of-place objects. Plus, braces are, well, ugly.

[ click ] Here, I replaced the building you had with 3x3 shorts. For whatever reason I didn't put stunt ramps on the side, but I would recommend doing that if you decide to make this change. Anyway, reasons behind exchanging the building was that it had an awkward overlap on the bridges, and was literally one of your only dark floor pieces and felt really out of place. You also ended up using 4x4 flats on the walls and that just didn't look very good.

[ click ] And again, this is just simplicity preference, and me being nitpicky.

Anyway, again, those don't affect gameplay whatsoever, I'm just a huge aesthetic nut. Thumbs up on exchanging the tin cup for rocks, that was probably my biggest issue with your version. 

The images of your changes certainly looked great, and the main issue was initially I did not have enough of a budget to make those changes; however, with the recently freed up budget I will certainly look into aesthetic changes moving forward along with needed changes to help gameplay and flow.

Railgun = closest equivalent to grenade launcher. Don't let the weapon names and ideas deceive you, the timing  and aiming are more similar to a grenade launcher than a sticky det. 

Could you clarify? That doesn't sound quite right to me, the sticky det has the whole prediction aspect to a degree because of the travel time whereas the railgun is essentially instant and requires direct hits, unlike sticky det / GL. There's also the matter that both the GL and Sticky Det shoot grenades, although this is somewhat trivial from a competitive pov.

Could you clarify? That doesn't sound quite right to me, the sticky det has the whole prediction aspect to a degree because of the travel time whereas the railgun is essentially instant and requires direct hits, unlike sticky det / GL. There's also the matter that both the GL and Sticky Det shoot grenades, although this is somewhat trivial from a competitive pov.

Eh, I suppose it's more of an opinion than fact.

The key things that make the RG more similar in my opinion is the timing and the power. The timing, I think, is more similar to the GL in the sense that you do have to hold it at the right time (while the GL you have to hold for the right time). The power, like I said in one of my previous posts, is something that draws the player towards the weapon indefinitely. I feel like the sticky detonator, because of the way it shoots and its damage, isn't as desirable as either the GL or RG. I would also argue to say that the GL did require a direct hit to get a kill, although you could bounce it off of things, and gave damage according to how close your hit was, like the det. The fact that they shoot grenades is irrelevant, IMO. They could shoot fireballs, or poop for all I care. That's like saying the needler is similar to the needle rifle in reach.

Overall, the reason I think the Railgun should be used to replace GL's in remakes is primarily because of its pull factor, and how that will more accurately replicate the player flow from the original versions. The weapons are both similar to GL's in their own right, of course neither holds a flame to its glory. n_n

Eh, I suppose it's more of an opinion than fact.

The key things that make the RG more similar in my opinion is the timing and the power. The timing, I think, is more similar to the GL in the sense that you do have to hold it at the right time (while the GL you have to hold for the right time). The power, like I said in one of my previous posts, is something that draws the player towards the weapon indefinitely. I feel like the sticky detonator, because of the way it shoots and its damage, isn't as desirable as either the GL or RG. I would also argue to say that the GL did require a direct hit to get a kill, although you could bounce it off of things, and gave damage according to how close your hit was, like the det. The fact that they shoot grenades is irrelevant, IMO. They could shoot fireballs, or poop for all I care. That's like saying the needler is similar to the needle rifle in reach.

Overall, the reason I think the Railgun should be used to replace GL's in remakes is primarily because of its pull factor, and how that will more accurately replicate the player flow from the original versions. The weapons are both similar to GL's in their own right, of course neither holds a flame to its glory. n_n

Fair enough. Testing will help figure out what is the better successor to the GL here.

EDIT

Used Stunt Ramps to add to asthetics in and around bases.

Turned over 3x3 Shorts.

Raised Front Base Jump-Ups 0.1 coordinates.

Replaced Artifact Bases with Stunt Ramps.

Moved 2x2 Banks in by 0.1 coordinates to remove overlapping.

Replaced Three Story Bases with 3x3 Shorts.

H4Oasis14_zps2e2c29e7.jpg?t=1375151966

H4Oasis13_zpsa8aef81f.jpg?t=1375152002

H4Oasis12_zps2ac80dab.jpg?t=1375152038

H4Oasis11_zpsb29618ff.jpg?t=1375152088

H4Oasis10_zpsa9e867e5.jpg?t=1375152120

Download the updated map here.

P.S. I exchanged the Artifact Bases with Stunt Ramps because I knew Res would have mentioned it next. #Predictable  ;)

In all seriousness, they do look better.

• Upvote (+1) 1

P.S. I exchanged the Artifact Bases with Stunt Ramps because I knew Res would have mentioned it next. #Predictable  ;)

In all seriousness, they do look better.

Ayyyyyyyye.

Now you're implying I missed something :P

I thought those gave it character, however the map also doesn't have it anywhere else, so it does make sense. Good job, bud.

Ayyyyyyyye.

Now you're implying I missed something :P

I thought those gave it character, however the map also doesn't have it anywhere else, so it does make sense. Good job, bud.

Yes. You did miss something.  :P Thanks for the compliments though.

Just went through this map in forge. I just want to say that locking your objects is an incredible waste of time. map looks nice and tidy!

Just went through this map in forge. I just want to say that locking your objects is an incredible waste of time. map looks nice and tidy!

Locking the objects is more-so for myself during the forge process since I wouldn't want someone joining and deleting everything. But thanks for taking the time to look at the map!

By the way GO BRUINS.  ;)

Locking the objects is more-so for myself during the forge process since I wouldn't want someone joining and deleting everything. But thanks for taking the time to look at the map!

By the way GO BRUINS.  ;)

You don't know how hard it is not to neg rep you for that right now...

• Upvote (+1) 1

I will be away from my Xbox for the next week so feel free to test and scrutinize my map, but keep in mind that there will be no changes able to be made until the second half of next week.

Thanks.

1.0.3 Update: Weapon Times

Changed respawn time of all Grenades from 15 sec to 30 sec

Changed respawn time of Light Rifles from 45 sec to 30 sec

Changed respawn time of Sniper Rifle from 120 sec to 116 sec

Changed respawn time of Overshield from 120 sec to 116 sec

Changed respawn time of Plasma Pistol from 45 sec to 30 sec

Changed spare clips on Needler from 2 to 1

Download the updated map here.