Sign in to follow this  
SAMerreye

Oasis

This looks like a very accurate remake. I feel like playing in the map will feel different because in Reach, it was like bright but this remake seems like a very eerie version.

Good job. I make it a point to download remakes of my favorite maps from old Halo games so this map is getting my download. :)

• Upvote (+1) 1

It was only a matter of time before this would be remade. I guess it's no harm with Waldo still hiding.

Looks well forged.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Looks good.

Shame the bridges will be buhh uhhh uhhmpy, though.

EDIT:

Also, the 3x3 shorts/flats, whatever they are in this picture need to be exchanged for the 3x3 shorts on the clean side.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 3

this was my favorite map in Reach. shame there isnt a nade launcher in this game. Sticky det isnt a good alternate for competitive play. Definitely gonna check this one out!

This is a very clean and accurate remake. The weapon layout maybe is not perfect.

One more thing; why are there some trees that come out from the floor? Aesthetically they are not good.

Anyways GG.

This is a very clean and accurate remake. The weapon layout maybe is not perfect.

One more thing; why are there some trees that come out from the floor? Aesthetically they are not good.

Anyways GG.

I think it's because the Sticky Detonator is the closest equivalent to the Grenade Launcher. But that's just me.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

The weapon placement is only until I find out what weapons are being used in v5 settings and can be changed easily after more testing. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I think it's because the Sticky Detonator is the closest equivalent to the Grenade Launcher. But that's just me.

But wasn't the grenade lancher on mid bridge? now there's an overshield here...

But wasn't the grenade lancher on mid bridge? now there's an overshield here...

In my opinion, Overshield will be more useful than Sticky Detonator on this map because it is more-so open. But, both combinations and various other ones will be tested based on feedback.

Railgun = closest equivalent to grenade launcher. Don't let the weapon names and ideas deceive you, the timing  and aiming are more similar to a grenade launcher than a sticky det. However I was under the impression that no one likes railguns much because of their host qualities, but I still think it should be considered regardless. Another point to consider is that in H:R, the grenade launcher was a power weapon that drew players towards it indefinitely. I'm pretty sure we all would fight to get our hands on it, whereas the sticky detonator (IMO), does not replicate that same pull factor. The OS to me, sounds okay there for those reasons, and could lead to, ah, interesting hill play in either of those - I don't know the callouts - buildings. [And I mean no one take it the wrong way or anything, comparing either weapon to the grenade launcher is like comparing apples (nade launch) to oranges (sticky det) to pears (rail). And by apples I mean godsend apples that outrank oranges and pears in every possible way].

I'm kind of curious as to why you neg-repped my previous post (not trying to start beef, I just legitimately want to know), as I didn't say anything anyone else wouldn't have. The underside of bridges are bumpy, I wasn't downing the map, I was saying it was a shame. Because it's a damn shame, those pieces are used all over the map and may or may not prove to be cumbersome. And someone was bound to say exchange the 3x3's for the clean short texture, it's almost like coincidence that it was me.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm kind of curious as to why you neg-repped my previous post (not trying to start beef, I just legitimately want to know), as I didn't say anything anyone else wouldn't have. The underside of bridges are bumpy, I wasn't downing the map, I was saying it was a shame. Because it's a damn shame, those pieces are used all over the map and may or may not prove to be cumbersome. And someone was bound to say exchange the 3x3's for the clean short texture, it's almost like coincidence that it was me.

I'm not sure who neg repped who, but the issue with the bridges was a main concern of mine conceptually and practically. Also, I'm not sure what you mean entirely by switch the 3x3s to the smooth side. I used 3x3 shorts because they are flat and wanted to add color to each base.

Found a big problem the tin cups flipped upside down can be shot through one side and not the other. Me and my friend edited for our own customs. Just letting you know you should probably do it too ;)

Found a big problem the tin cups flipped upside down can be shot through one side and not the other. Me and my friend edited for our own customs. Just letting you know you should probably do it too ;)

I'm not entirely sure how that would be an issue on this map.....?

This map plays exactly like reach, I am surprised that even the spawns feel like the reach map.  Samerreye I am letting you know that you have out done yourself this time bro.  I loved your Lockout and the Narrows-esk map that you made but this map feels and actually plays exactly like in reach.  I teamed with you in halo 3 and you were always an amazing teammate/friend.  Keep it up man you make the best maps that I have played out of anyone that I know and my list is full to the max with only halo players.

• Upvote (+1) 2

This looks amazing... I really hope they put this in AGL. I felt like it was too big for v7 reach but I think it will suit H4 perfectly. It's almost like Onyx and that plays really well. The color variance is better than the reach version as well. Great job man, i hope they use this map.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I'm not entirely sure how that would be an issue on this map.....?

Invite me to a party whenever you can @ DBD Squeak i'll show you.

EDIT

Fixed glitched loadout camera.

Replaced tin cups with rocks to fix a glitch.

Moved front Blue Plat out 1.5 coordinates to make each symmetrical.

2b630064-107a-4b84-9210-197b0a9c171e_zps

Download the updated map here.

I like the looks and Oasis was easily my favorite Reach map for KoTH. I would absolutely love to see this in AGL/Throwdown, especially if they remake the KoTH gametype to flow better.

I'm not sure who neg repped who, but the issue with the bridges was a main concern of mine conceptually and practically. Also, I'm not sure what you mean entirely by switch the 3x3s to the smooth side. I used 3x3 shorts because they are flat and wanted to add color to each base.

I was just saying that I personally would recommend using the texture to the far left. But if you were going for color, I guess I understand.

I feel like there are cleaner ways of adding color: IMO, that side of the 3x3 shorts you are using just appears to be really busy. Anyway I'm so OCD so I just figured I'd throw this stuff out there as my own personal suggestions, I recognize not everyone has tastes as simple as mine, though:

[ click ] In this image, I flipped the 3x3's over, and also exchanged the 2x2 ramp for a stunt ramp angled at 27 degrees, with another stunt ramp on its side. Replaced the bridge that was being used as a wall with another stunt ramp to match. If that makes sense... If not I can highlight what my exact changes were. So, the stunt ramps add color (granted, not as much, but enough so that no one will be confused as to what side they're on, which is the point really).

[ click ] In this image, I continued the whole stunt ramp wall theme. In your initial version you used a mismatch of objects just to fit it together, (brace large + 2x2 flat + banks to fill the ramp gap), this way, the whole thing looks more unified and doesn't call for an array of out-of-place objects. Plus, braces are, well, ugly.

[ click ] Here, I replaced the building you had with 3x3 shorts. For whatever reason I didn't put stunt ramps on the side, but I would recommend doing that if you decide to make this change. Anyway, reasons behind exchanging the building was that it had an awkward overlap on the bridges, and was literally one of your only dark floor pieces and felt really out of place. You also ended up using 4x4 flats on the walls and that just didn't look very good.

[ click ] And again, this is just simplicity preference, and me being nitpicky.

Anyway, again, those don't affect gameplay whatsoever, I'm just a huge aesthetic nut. Thumbs up on exchanging the tin cup for rocks, that was probably my biggest issue with your version. 

played a game on here tonight. played great and everybody seemed to have a great time. It's just too bad you can't make your map look more like resivores maps though so they can all look the same.