Epexion99

My *favorite* Halo games. Which ones are your favorite? (mine are probably controversial)

• I put asterisks because these are my f a v o r i t e Halo games; I'm not claiming that these are the best ones, I'm just saying that I enjoyed these ones the most
  • I know for CERTAIN that this top 3 will probably make some halo fans mad, especially older fans, but these ones are my top 3.
  • I would just like to have a discussion. I am just a Halo fan, I would actually appreciate it if you told me what you like about your favorite Halo games

• <My> top 3:
  • 1. Halo 5 (disappointed by the story tho)
  • 2. Halo: Reach
  • 3. Halo 3: ODST
  • (please don't be mad hehe)
  • note: yes I have played Halo: CE and Halo 2; however, I have not played either of the Halo Wars games. Idk I just don't like RTS, sorry

• Idk about) Halo Infinite
  • I HATE) Halo 4

• old meme, I know, but still

• again, I do not claim that these are the best Halo games, I'm just saying that this is the order of how much I enjoyed each of them
  • all right, I know that if you have strong feelings about these games you're probably really mad at me right now, especially without even MENTIONING Halo 3,
  • hold on, I'll get to that
  • BUT if you give me a chance to explain my reasoning behind each of these games, I think I might be able to change your mind at least a little

• 1) Halo 5
  • fast pace >
  • I enjoyed this game the most because it had the fastest pace multiplayer out of the Halo franchise. Unlimited sprint, boosters, and climbing each helped make killing in multiplayer so much more exciting and in-your-face kind of fps gameplay. To me the speed of multiplayer for Halo 5 was what really got me hooked on it. I always felt really satisfied when I could keep up with the pace of everything and then win
  • graphics >
  • Halo 5 also has the strongest graphics out of the franchise (of course it is the newest). This made everything much more interesting and stimulating to look at for me
  • game types >
  • I thought it had the most diverse game types available. Warzone, Mythic shotty snipers, and super fiesta are just a few of my favorites
  • story >
  • the story however, is probably the weakest part of the game. I was beyond disappointed when I played & found out that they decided to make Cortana A BAD GUY. I was like what !? WHY. I wasn't really a fan of the story, but I did think that Locke and the Arbiter were pretty cool in it

• 2) Halo: Reach
  • story >
  • on the other hand, what I liked the most about Halo: Reach is that the story was really really good. Noble Team's members are probably my favorite out of the Halo universe. Even though nearly all of them die, the plot did a great job of fleshing them out and actually making you feel sad about their sacrifice on Reach. What's also great about Reach's story to me is that it's easy to understand! Unlike the other games, you're not asking questions like "wait, what's a Halo?", "who's Gravemind?", or "WHO THE F**k is this Didact guy!?" (more on that last one later lol). Instead, it's easy to understand that you're just a group of brave spartans willing to sacrifice themselves against this new and huge threat known as the Covenant
  • multiplayer >
  • this was pretty good. I thought that the armor abilities introduced into the game did a really good job of making the gameplay feel fresh and new

• 3) Halo 3: ODST
  • so this is probably a controversial pick on my list, especially because I don't include Halo 3, but please let me explain.
  • story >
  • looking back, what I liked so much about ODST's overall feeling & story is that it was so unique & distinct. In no other Halo game are you going around a quiet & dark environment, trying to piece together a story. For me, what made ODST so good was how immersive and dark the atmosphere was. It was actually kind of relaxing, and some parts (like the burning ONI building) were beautiful to look at. It is also one of the only games to have a large part of gameplay at night. Visually, this was also very unique because you had to spend a lot of time using that yellow-outline-environment-thing to get around; this by itself made the look and feel of ODST significantly distinct from the rest of the franchise
  • not a full game >
  • now, probably the biggest complaint about ODST is that it's not a full game, which I actually agree with. The story was very short, and there isn't even any multiplayer, which was probably the worst part to players. But for me, the the story and addition of firefight made it good enough for a decent game experience

• Halo 3)
  • aaaaaall right, now I will talk about Halo 3. This is probably what some people would be most mad at me about. To not only exclude the game from the list, but ALSO to put ODST ABOVE IT instead. But don't get me wrong, I liked Halo 3, I actually would have put it in my #4 spot.
  • nostalgia >
  • I think what would make a lot of older Halo fans mad at me about my ODST decision is their nostalgia of Halo 3. For example my brother is 24 and he grew up playing a ton of Halo 3; it probably includes some of his favorite childhood memories. I however, was still too young to have that experience, so I dont really have those same kind of memories (Im 19 right now btw). The reason why I spend this much time talking about nostalgia is that it's probably a big part of what makes Halo 3 the #1 Halo game for a lot of fans. And that's fair! I would like to emphasize again that I am ranking these games based on how much I enjoyed them
  • multiplayer>
  • Halo 3 was probably huge for a lot of people when it came out, and for me I actually thought that the multiplayer was pretty good. It's just that when you compare it to a bunch of other Halo games, it doesn't age so well. To be specific, I thought Reach & Halo 5's multiplayer were a lot better

• Halo 4) <Insert Jachie Chan meme from above hehe>
  • I know this game isn't on my top 3; I just want to explain why I HATE IT so much.
  • story >
  • Halo 4 SINGLE HANDEDLY F***ED UP the Halo story line. Before the game released, it was just about the UNSC, the Covenant, and the Flood. BUT THEN THIS GAME COMES ALONG and introduced the Prometheans, this LIBRARIAN lady, and this DIDACT guy. I know that it wouldn't have been smart for 343 to end the covenant & flood storyline before introducing their whole story, but Halo 4 just made the overall plot even more complicated (as if it wasnt already complex enough)

• Halo CE & Halo 2)
  • so I have spent over an hour putting together and writing this post so far, so forgive me, but Im gonna have to make this short
  • gameplay>
  • so I have played through both of these in the Chief Collection, and I know people will disagree with me but I just wasn't a huge fan of them. I know that they were made in 2001 and 2004, but that doesnt really make them better than say Reach or Halo 3
  • story >
  • Halo 2 was one of my favorites, since you get to play as both Chief and the Arbiter. But what turned me off from it though is that the story was pretty confusing. Right now, I mostly understand the plot but the parts with Tartarus & Gravemind weren't really my favorite out of the franchise

• Halo Infinite)
  • & then here we are at Halo Infinite, the main Halo game we get after waiting for 5 years now
  • I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna get it (mainly because Im switching to PS5) BUT ALSO because I pretty much give up on the Halo storyline at this point. In this next story apparently we're supposed to fight this Brute guy that we've barely even heard of. And on top of that WE ALSO have to deal with Cortana being an antagonist. At least that's how it seems like it will be after Halo 5's story.
  • as much as I like Halo 5, I hated that they made Cortana an antagonist (kind of). If you finish the story on legendary you see that she's humming while lighting up a halo ring WHICH IS JUST CRAZY. To think that she would even consider using one of those is absolutely insane. 343 took Cortana, one of the main characters of the Halo franchise and somehow turned her into an enemy.
  • I hope I'm wrong about not liking Halo Infinite.
  • the overall Halo storyline seems beyond repair at this point; the flood stopped being a main enemy, and the Prometheans are weird. But I hope that Halo Infinite at least turns out good
  • and yeah, that's all I have to say about the Halo games. If you actually read my whole post, thank you for your time, and if you haven't already, please write a comment below telling me what you think about my top 3 & what your favorite Halo games are =)

@Boyo I played each of the Halo games as they came out, except for Halo CE and Halo 2; I played those in the Chief collection. Do you think that had an effect on my experience of the story?

No matter how good a sequel is, it can’t pull you in quite like the very first time you’re introduced to a universe.  A good story is made that much better by the awe and wonderment you feel the first time around.  

@Boyo yeah I get that, which is why I made a nostalgia section for my talk about Halo 3. What would your top 3 be for the Halo games? please give a little explanation too 

Each Halo has meant something different to me at different times. Halo 4, for instance, ranks pretty low on my competitive merit scale, but during its life cycle it was full of memories with friends and good times. I'd probably never play it again willingly along with some other titles, but just for total enjoyment I'd rank it higher than most here would place it. I also vehemently hated Halo 3 when it dropped. I'd constantly go back and play Halo 2 or just play other games in general, but I can stomach playing it more than any recent title and actually have more enjoyment then say Halo 4 or 5.

@Nokt wow I'm surprised to hear someone hate Halo 3 when it came out. I thought it was supossed to be all around better than Halo 2: better multiplayer, graphics, and forge. I thought Halo 3 was like beloved by most fans, guess that's not the case. 

Which of the Halo games are in your top 3? & why

15 hours ago, Epexion99 said:

@Nokt wow I'm surprised to hear someone hate Halo 3 when it came out. I thought it was supossed to be all around better than Halo 2: better multiplayer, graphics, and forge. I thought Halo 3 was like beloved by most fans, guess that's not the case. 

Which of the Halo games are in your top 3? & why

H3 just wasn't my jam. Everybody was racing to get a 50 in Team Slayer and running around on Snowbound or Epitaph with AR's and Pistols wasn't exactly fun. I had way more fun going back and playing Hardcore H2 or Team Snipers. I eventually came back and played a bit of MLG, but its probably my least played Halo, that or Reach.

15 hours ago, Epexion99 said:

Most fans maybe. Definitely not all. 

Campaign:
             Halo 1
             Reach
             ODST
Multiplayer: 
             H2 FFA
             H1 2v2
             H3 4v4 
             H5 Warzone/BTB 
             ODST Firefight

I'm in the same pack of people that didn't like 1.0 Halo 3 mostly because I had to deal with really jank melees in Lone Wolves and it was EXCEPTIONALLY frustrating to deal with during the first months to a year of the game.

The campaign gameplay experience was also one that I couldn't replay as frequently as I would have liked (I favor Halo CE in this department).

My personal top 3 is CE, ODST, and a soft tie between Halo 2 and 4. I measure the last choice mostly from a nostalgic perspective as they were games I played during really notable social experiences in my life. Halo 2 beats it out as I would rather play that in 2020 over Halo 4.

1 halo 3

2 halo 1

3 halo reach 

4 halo 5

5 halo 2 

6 halo 4

Yes i put halo 3 above halo 1 and halo reach above halo 2, suck my dick. 

• Hooked 1

1. Reach (MP, campaign, forging)

2. Halo 4 (forging)

3. Halo 3 (MP)

4. HCE (just started playing)

5. H2A (interesting AR)

6. H2 (frustrating initial MP experience, controller layout issues)

1. CE (fastest & most skillful multiplayer)

2. H2 (nowhere near CE in terms of skill/competitiveness, but more respectable than every other sequel)

3. ZBNS Reach (what could have been if this was Reach's default mode)

4. H4 (fun for social multiplayer & BTB, pretty bad 4v4 experience)

5. H5 (not fun for social multiplayer/BTB or 4v4)

6. Default Reach (RNG bloom + 5sk utility weapons ruined this game)

7. H3 (slowest Halo experience, uncontrollable RNG, joke of a netcode)

• Fire (+1) 1

If we're talking strictly in terms of what we've enjoyed the most -- I'm not separating games by hardcore settings except Reach. Default Reach and ZBNS Reach are literally two different games.

1. Halo 2 - 4v4 in terms of skill, speed, teamwork, and just overall fun across the game (custom games, messing around and climbing buildings outside of the maps in your downtime, the MLG scene back in the day, etc.. Just a feeling that can't be matched). Slight bias since I started with this game, but it was impossible not to put countless hours into this game no matter what you were doing. Competitive or casual.
  2. Halo CE - Since this took the absolute most skill out of the franchise and you can't just cheese your way to a win this was definitely the most enjoyable as far as working to get better. I got really good at Halo during the H2 era but went back to learn this game in 2006; extremely fun to actually just learn and play this game.
  3. ZBNS Reach - Actually pretty fun to just sit around and play casually; had a lot of balance to it and if we had more default maps to play on this would've outclassed every other Halo besides the ones below by a large margin.
  4. Halo 3 - Lol... If Equipment didn't exist in this game, probably would be the best social game amongst the franchise. MLG settings made up for it tenfold. Plus, it was fun to just make new accounts and get 50s in every playlist. Online hit registration made this game annoying sometimes but on LAN it was pretty great. Playing this on MCC is frustrating as hell when you get the horrible map selection and can't veto though, especially if you're playing the doubles playlist and have to play against Ghost Town powerdrain/regen/bubbleshield sweats. I would probably have this second to last if I never played the OG version of the game.
  5. Halo 4 - If I'm on MCC and someone mentions wanting to play H4, I'll usually never say no because it's actually a pretty chill Halo to just play when you're with some friends. Competitively it was abysmal, but socially.. Meh, not bad. The weapons despawning in 2 seconds, no map pickups and ordinance and stuff like that made it pretty crappy.
  6. Default Reach - The introduction to sprint and the introduction to abilities, specifically armor lock. Terrible maps except two out of the box (Zealot and Countdown) and all of the Forge maps in every playlist were complete trash and completely unbalanced. This is not even mentioning bloom which is just.. Lol. This version of reach goes back and forth between Halo 5 for me as far as least enjoyable.
  7. Halo 5 - I don't see how anyone enjoys this game in any fashion. The controller aiming on console is completely horrid and they had to "fix it" 3 separate times for it to be tolerable (oddly enough the controller aiming on PC is godlike and the mouse aiming is bad lol). Sprint. Spartan Charge. Sprint-Thrust-Slide-Jump nonsense (people tend to claim this was a skillful thing but took everyone who used it maybe 10 minutes to learn, it's not complicated), Ground pound -- Just a bunch of abilities that reward you for doing absolutely nothing and take no skill to do so. Extremely slow gameplay due to the fact that maps are three times the size of any other Halo game and why matches tend to never finish. Weapon balance was terrible (the fact that autos dominated the game from mid-close range, especially the OP storm rifle at the beginning of the game). Breakout being one of the least fun modes and being forced on us in tournaments -- It honestly got to the point where on online ladders, my team and the other team would usually just mutually agree to play a different game mode instead for Game 2 (and/or 4). No social matchmaking -- Had to constantly make new accounts to play with my cousins because I was in Champion in most of the playlists and they're gold-silver players at best because they just casually play the game and they just get steam rolled playing with me on my main account. Population was terrible after just a few months.. This game just made for an overall bad experience. I don't see how people on waypoint boast about this game "being such a blast!" Everything about this game was infuriating if you played it at a high level.
    1. This game had one redeeming quality for me and it was the Forge mode. That forge mode was godlike.
  • Like (+1) 3

Note: only talking MP and overall experience with the games. Campaign would probably go CE > H3 > H2 > ODST > Reach (gets better if you mod out bloom and sprint) > H4 > H5.

1. Halo CE - Best game in the franchise by a long shot. The only Halo with a properly balanced sandbox. Fast TTK, mostly good maps, fast timers. This game is a blast no matter if you're playing sweaty 2s or social 4v4. Only downsides I see is 1) movement is really unfun compared to the sequels and 2) BTB is the weakest in the series.
  2. ZBNS Reach - MLG v7 is damn good even with some questionable decisions in terms of settings and maps, fuck whoever made those decisions back then. I'm also including Gold Pro in here, the original 4sk settings and the mod. A utility that shoots straight, good movement, good sandbox, decent collection of maps. Shame it never took off population wise because this is the best Halo out there considering MCC CE is mostly a joke and the other games below suck compared to this.
  3. Halo 3 - I don't like this game from a design standpoint. But it was a blast to play back in the day, introduced me to competitive gaming, made tons of friends in this. Best progression system of any video game I've played. Best art style. Sniping in this game is so satisfying. Good maps with some downers. BTB in this is great, although vehicle balance is wack. Equipment and BR spread can suck it. Objectively speaking this is probably the worse game than H2 (aside from lower AA), but I'll admit I'm biased just because of the community surrounding it and all the content created from it.
  4. Halo 2 - I actually think this game is pretty overrated, but that's probably because I missed out on playing it in its prime. The BR is awesome and the game has a great map pool for 4s, movement is super fun in this game. The sandbox overall is too easy and insanely imbalanced though, and I 100% blame this game for sending Halo down the path of playing with radar, slow TTK, burst fire utility, auto starts, dumbass weapon sandboxes, high aim assist and shallow map design.
  5. Halo 5 - This game made a few steps in the right direction but overall was another bland and pathetic attempt at chasing trends. It really didn't age well considering the mobility fad has already died years ago. WTF were they thinking putting ADS into Halo, and why can't I aim my gun without getting motion sickness? How did this game become objectively worse from the beta to the final? Warzone is an abomination and so is Breakout. Pistol duels are fun but the sandbox overall is complete shit, holy fuck the sniper in this game is a joke. The game is just insanely frustrating to play in any scenario, and I hate the HCS kids that it created. At least there aren't people out there pretending that H4 and vanilla Reach and competitive masterpieces, but people to this day defend H5 and I just dont get it.
  6. Halo 4 - I won't lie and say I disable H4 in MCC match composer when I just want to chill in social. The game is tolerable when shooting bad kids or running around in BTB, but quickly falls apart in any other scenario. Overall it's probably the worst overall Halo not just from a design standpoint but it also lacks polish and looks really amateurish. And man the art style is repulsive, you can't see shit on half the maps.
  7. Vanilla Reach - I cant help but put this below H4 and that is for two reasons: 1) Bloom and 2) the more offensive AAs like armor lock, jetpack and the OP sprint. The maps are also awful, but the bar in H4/5/Reach is so low that this isn't really a negative point down here. It's crazy how much better this game would play if you just disabled AAs and bloom across the board.

First impressions from Infinite put it around H5, depends how much shit they throw into the MP this time around. Given that it has sprint and the sandbox looks wack already there's no way it will score above place 5 on this list.

I'll be giving my thoughts on the different multiplayer experiences by the player counts of 2v2, 4v4, and 8v8.

Halo CE

2v2 - Very Good. The small selection of maps and the amount of different plays you can make, along with the static timers of the weapons on the map, and fully utilizing the spawn system with your teammate, make an excellent combination of different skill sets to practice and master. I truly do think this is one of the best Halo experiences in the lineup.

4v4 - Poor. While the former way to play CE is great to me, the latter is something of a major disappointment. Adding just four more people into these maps seem to drain me if the mode is anything but Slayer. You can argue that there's some good map/gametype combos in there, but they're overshadowed by the slog of the surrounding bog water. There's too much chaos for my taste, and the things that hold CE back really start to shine.

8v8 - Very Poor. Not only is the experience only tolerable with Slayer, but the new pool of massive open maps are littered with awful design choices scattered across the landscape. The vehicles aren't much better; this was Bungie's first attempt at automotive and alien war crafts, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was general consensus that people thought they straight up sucked. Unacceptable.

Halo 2

2v2 - Adequate. Button combos and much smoother movement aside, the maps you fight the other duo with are a significant downgrade in design. Adding to that is the fact that weapons now only start their respawn counter once they're dropped and empty, which gives the incentive to snowball in a less forgiving way. Your overall killing potential is muted somewhat, but the matches you play are still enjoyable.

4v4 - Good. It seems Bungie managed to make objective gamemodes fun by neutering your weapon and giving more focus to work with your team. This was the beginning of the era of "Teamshot Halo", and despite the decisions to make it happen, many fans swear by this style of gameplay. The map pool is larger, with different designs abroad, to give all players a more unique set of places and spaces to fight.

8v8 - Adequate. The maps and vehicles are now much more palatable, and the aforementioned "Teamshot Halo" formula has bled its way into objective modes for the better. However, the major issue of weapons being locked behind their new respawn rules kill a good portion of the level of fun. Frustration is easy to elevate once you no longer have the necessary arsenal to fight against the army of tanks, warthogs and banshees blasting you with bullets, plasma, and explosive shells.

Halo 3

2v2 - Good. The button combos are gone, the movement is not as smooth; what replaces them is a better designed sandbox, one-time-use pickups, and yet another spawn system where weapons respawn a certain point after their initial grab. I consider this portion of the third game in the Bungie trilogy a very special way to enjoy Halo. It's gimmicky and goofy, but has its own plethora of meta outside of the other games.

4v4 - Very Good. It is inarguable that this was the very peak of Halo's popularity and notoriety, and where most of the playerbase of fans grew from. Every single map in this category could play anything, and had one or two modes where said maps really shined. Despite the issues of our killing potential, there is no doubt in my mind that this was the go-to place where you could spend a whole day on your couch.

8v8 - Good. There are some solid maps in this category, and the vehicles were tweaked even better to fit. Many consider the mixture of infantry and vehicle combat is best here, and I agree. You can definitely have a good romp through the battlefields given to you, provided you at least have some stickies.

Reach

2v2 - Adequate. The Armor Abilities and Bloom introduced, whether the two are in their default or title update state, is the least abhorrent here. The map pool leaves something to be desired, and the monotony of the shades of grey, green, and blue-grey from the Forge pallet creates a certain mood that can damper the experience. Unfortunately, said monotony bleeds well over into the other categories.

4v4 - Very Poor. The absolute low of Halo's gameplay loop. Here, the aggressive awfulness of the new mechanics are fully realized, as the will to play is sucked out of you. The design of maps fall hard into the abyss, with the Forge injection barely keeping the whole thing alive. Once you take a step back and really think about what you're playing, you will come to the conclusion, "This sucks."

4v4 (Zero Bloom, No Sprint) - Good. A diamond in the rough peaks out, and you can finally find some enjoyment. A sudden 180 degree turn back to classic movement, faster kill times, and static weapon timers pours onto you, giving a well needed relief from the horrible abomination that is Reach. It honestly feels like you step into an alternate reality each time you launch this set of gamemodes.

8v8 - Adequate. Vehicles are now a little easier to deal with, and the maps seemingly better to play. The AAs and Bloom blend surprisingly well, and fun can be had most of the time. A decent casual romp, provided you don't go out in the open.

Halo 4

2v2 - Good. Most of what this game introduced is not in this category, which makes it easy to play. You can actually shoot your gun again, and the maps here are a hearty and decent bunch. This is the best offer granted to you here.

4v4 - Poor. Headaches will be given as the Loadouts and Ordnance Drops hit you over the noggin, with map design taking a back seat. Chaos ensues with every match, the dice rolls abundantly, and the gamemodes are neutered. At least you can shoot.

8v8 - Very Poor. Everything mentioned in the last category is now twofold, and now just that little bit harder to stomach. Shutting your brain off and just reveling in the randomness is the best way to enter, and any weed or alcohol to keep that going is recommended.

Halo 2 Anniversary

2v2 - Adequate. Movement is back to classic, though all the nuance of the original Halo 2 isn't there. The map pool is small, with not much to spice things up save a few Forge maps. Good way to pass time.

4v4 - Adequate. A mix of remakes and Forge maps stave off the stagnant feeling growing in the back of your mind. The things introduced don't seem bad per se, but you can't help but feel disinterested. You press on.

8v8 - Adequate. By now that growing feeling is steadily climbing as you trudge through more remakes with banshees and warthogs by your sides. The game feels incredibly mundane and average, and you resort to playing one of the other Halos, good or bad. At least they can evoke you.

Halo 5

2v2 - Good. I will stand by my opinion of Doubles in H5 being the way to play it. The movement granted to you is best utilized in a controlled environment, and the absurd weapons are fewer and far less annoying. The depth of how you move is astonishing, and would be a fine addition to this game if it wasn't Halo.

4v4 - Adequate. It's truly a shame that the sandbox and aiming sucks, as it holds back this game considerably. Map design is marginally better than the three games before it, with Forge giving a crockpot of decent additions. Two steps forward, three steps back.

4v4 (Mythic) - Good. Yet another step into an alternate reality we go, as the map design and gameplay loop is an abrupt change from the rest of the game. A nice change of pace instead of a wave of relief this time, the map pool is a considerable jump in quality compared to the last several games. Very enjoyable, with feelings of nostalgia evoked through new but familiar geometry.

8v8 - Adequate. Vehicles have never been as maneuverable as this, and now infantry can keep up with them through the movement. Unfortunately, the same issue with the sandbox plagues the turrets and guns of the war machines, no matter if they're human, Covenant, or Promethean. Pity.

There you go. 

18 hours ago, -DeucEy- said:

If we're talking strictly in terms of what we've enjoyed the most -- I'm not separating games by hardcore settings except Reach. Default Reach and ZBNS Reach are literally two different games.

1. Halo 2 -...
  2. Halo CE - ...
  3. ZBNS Reach -...
  4. Halo 3 - ...
  5. Halo 4 - ...
  6. Default Reach - ...
  7. Halo 5 - I don't see how anyone enjoys this game in any fashion. The controller aiming on console is completely horrid and they had to "fix it" 3 separate times for it to be tolerable (oddly enough the controller aiming on PC is godlike and the mouse aiming is bad lol). Sprint. Spartan Charge. Sprint-Slide-Thrust nonsense (people tend to claim this was a skillful thing but took everyone who used it maybe 10 minutes to learn, it's not complicated), Ground pound -- Just a bunch of abilities that reward you for doing absolutely nothing and take no skill to do so. Extremely slow gameplay due to the fact that maps are three times the size of any other Halo game and why matches tend to never finish. Weapon balance was terrible (the fact that autos dominated the game from mid-close range, especially the OP storm rifle at the beginning of the game). Breakout being one of the least fun modes and being forced on us in tournaments -- It honestly got to the point where on online ladders, my team and the other team would usually just mutually agree to play a different game mode instead for Game 2 (and/or 4). No social matchmaking -- Had to constantly make new accounts to play with my cousins because I was in Champion in most of the playlists and they're gold-silver players at best because they just casually play the game and they just get steam rolled playing with me on my main account. Population was terrible after just a few months.. This game just made for an overall bad experience. I don't see how people on waypoint boast about this game "being such a blast!" Everything about this game was infuriating if you played it at a high level.
    1. This game had one redeeming quality for me and it was the Forge mode. That forge mode was godlike.

This is interesting. I never purchased an XBOX. I finally downloaded and began playing H5/Forge5 a few months back when I got ahold of a powerful (2nd hand) PC with a GTX770 4GB video card (and it smokes). I got a steam card for Christmas and downloaded MCC and am playing that now, but my H5 customs experience has never been bad with aim. I am sort of shocked that XB H5 aiming is so bad.

Also, I studied what they did with Forge5. I won't get into the details, but all the great features I had heard prior when it first came out I quickly discovered was some hype once I got to using it. You do have quite a bit of variety of block size and textures, but in the end, the limitations that F5 presents (to me at least) constantly remind me that it's still forge and still just a pile of blocks. In the end, after trying to forge several maps, I came away with it just isn't close to what it needs to be yet.

11 hours ago, MrGreenWithAGun said:

This is interesting. I never purchased an XBOX. I finally downloaded and began playing H5/Forge5 a few months back when I got ahold of a powerful (2nd hand) PC with a GTX770 4GB video card (and it smokes). I got a steam card for Christmas and downloaded MCC and am playing that now, but my H5 customs experience has never been bad with aim. I am sort of shocked that XB H5 aiming is so bad.

Also, I studied what they did with Forge5. I won't get into the details, but all the great features I had heard prior when it first came out I quickly discovered was some hype once I got to using it. You do have quite a bit of variety of block size and textures, but in the end, the limitations that F5 presents (to me at least) constantly remind me that it's still forge and still just a pile of blocks. In the end, after trying to forge several maps, I came away with it just isn't close to what it needs to be yet.

In regards to the aiming portion, if you played the Halo 5 Beta on Xbox and then the actual game afterwards, you would understand why "squirrely aim" is a big meme on these forums; it's completely awful. If you played on nothing but PC, as I mentioned in my post, the aiming is absolutely amazing on PC so I can understand your remarks on how it could possibly be bad on Console; it didn't make sense to any of us either. Myself and @automatousbeing we're making videos a few years in the H5/MCC threads trying to diagnose the issue with the aiming using automated scripts and we were able to find out that on the Xbox version of the game, there's this inconsistency with the acceleration when turning a direction. In Forge mode, you can actually view your aiming coordinates on your HUD and you could actually see the issue. For example let's say my X and Y coordinates are at 0, 0. We wrote a script that would basically Shoot > turn left for 1 second > record the resulting X, Y coordinate > Commit suicide > Repeat. We were noticing that if the result was 27.5, 0 one time 27.5, 0 the second time, the third instance would end up being like 31.8, 0 or 26.2, 0. And it would do this constantly. On PC, no issues.

In response to your Forge feedback, while sure it's easy to say that it's still a pile of blocks but the enhancements they made from Halo 3 > Halo Reach > Halo 4 > Halo 5 were very significant. Yes, there's still limitations on what you can do but to reduce it's ability to is kind disingenuous in my opinion. The ability to modify weapons, manipulate spawns down to very minute details, map/item clipping for smoother and more consistent building, and all of the additional features that Forge had in Halo 5 made it extremely seamless for a LOT of creators to make some pretty cool and interesting maps. For a Halo game? That Forge mode was pretty amazing, Tom French did a kick ass job spear-heading this and his team; and this is coming from the biggest Halo 5 hater on this forum. 

On 12/30/2020 at 4:41 AM, -DeucEy- said:

In response to your Forge feedback, while sure it's easy to say that it's still a pile of blocks but the enhancements they made from Halo 3 > Halo Reach > Halo 4 > Halo 5 were very significant. Yes, there's still limitations on what you can do but to reduce it's ability to is kind disingenuous in my opinion. The ability to modify weapons, manipulate spawns down to very minute details, map/item clipping for smoother and more consistent building, and all of the additional features that Forge had in Halo 5 made it extremely seamless for a LOT of creators to make some pretty cool and interesting maps. For a Halo game? That Forge mode was pretty amazing, Tom French did a kick ass job spear-heading this and his team; and this is coming from the biggest Halo 5 hater on this forum. 

The following reflects my opinions, your mileage may vary. Let's begin with a scale of 0 to 10.

0.2   H3
1.0   Reach
1.1   H4 (incremental + and -)
1.2   H2A (very minor improvements, only an introduction to real changes)
3.0   H5 (lots of textures, palette objects, improved properties and options)

Grow the palette, fix bugs, improve current features, add helper features, but you really haven't grown forge into new directions. Reach saw dramatic palette increases. H5 saw new properties for palette items, even weapon objects. But the evolutionary changes improve forge workflow by leaps and bounds. Examples of evolutionary concepts that I can think of off the top of my head include:

Reach
  grid and rotation lock, magnets, & physics modes
H2A
  terrain objects & scripting
H5
  welding
  exposing material properties
  FX (particles and sound)
  joints and animated palette objects
  terrain textures locked to canvas coordinates
  clear glass that can be colored
  decals
  primitive blocks SIMPLE

You can add exposing weapon prefab properties to this list for H5 if you feel strongly about it.

Textures have not improved that much. H3 sandbox has the best textures of H3, Reach, H4, and H2A. I know this is subjective to many, but I can explain my case. H5 has I think a half dozen textures, of which half seem blah and the other half seem good to go.

And it is for this reason I say that it remains simply a pile of blocks. That is strictly how I feel after spending over 40 hours trying to forge a missile silo complex. With all the improvements, I was truly disappointed that I came away with this feeling toward Forge5. 

On the other hand, what set H5 ahead is not textures - rather, it is materials property control. With these properties, forgers have the ability to expand the graphical elements of their levels in entirely new ways and fully independent of the textures they apply. This in my opinion is as critical as the textures themselves. (Now if only 343 could provide a better palette of textures...)

BTW, I found the spawn zones' weight adjustment useless. Unless you know what the values actually do in comparison to other influencers (enemy presence, imminent threat, line of sight, etc.), your control over the spawning behavior is just an illusion. (If they published the list of influencers, let me know please.) For that reason I was left to use team assigned spawn points.

I am looking for key improvements like the PRIMITIVE BLOCK SIMPLE. If you look carefully at that block (size is irrelevant), you see that it is an entirely new concept for Forge with the intent of targeting a specific problem that cannot be addressed in a "forge" way with any other palette object. It was a concept I suggested and I was very happy not only to see them implement it, but to find that it does its job surprisingly well.

Halo 3 is trash

Halo 4 is trash

Halo 5 is trash

Halo Reach isn't as bad as the trash above

Halo CE is the best

Halo CE on MMC is trash

Halo CE on LAN is the GOAT

Halo 2 is the 2nd best halo

Halo Infinite will be trash

/thread

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Heavy Breathing (+1) 1