CyReN

HCS Halo Infinite 2021 Teams, Seeds and Discussion Thread

23 minutes ago, soFireFly said:

Did they ever fix it for h5? and i'm not sure but is this a thing in CoD too or nah? 

they never fixed it for h5. other games *have* this problem, but it's not every fight, its like once per series and it's probably on some kill you don't care about. its also nowhere near as bad.

55 minutes ago, Aphex Twin said:

Lol yeah you must not have been here when H5 first released. You can go back through old posts on this site if you'd like. 

Was this before or after everyone was complaining about autos from day one?

4 hours ago, Bloodshot1990 said:

If it does not pull 150k like a major COD event would then it is a failure. 

Dude chill, the game literally launched less than two weeks and you already have Waypoint and Reddit pointing out the imbalances between platforms. Give it some time then we can doom and gloom about how they ignored the PC platform and didn't balance between inputs correctly.

Edit: Also Apex is not the only game to balance inputs. Fortnite as of a qualifying cup a year ago had out of 100 players, 55 controller and 45 mouse.

58 minutes ago, soFireFly said:

Good show from Optic, definitely starting to seal themselves as the best team in the game but I'm still hesitant to give anyone that title until Raleigh 

I am too, but mostly because with Sentinels blacklisted from scrims, they haven't even really been given a chance to practice. I think they may just as well be as dominant as they were in H5, at least potential wise, but nobody plays them so they dont get there.

So I've seen a good amount of CoD players switch to Halo, but they have no idea how to get their name out there 

7 hours ago, Aphex Twin said:

Everyone here said the same about Halo 5 up until the honeymoon phase passed. You'll see the same thing happen with any Halo game that has slow TTKs + get out of jail free abilities. 

I'm totally with you on honeymoon phases. But the pistol was 1.2 sec TTK right? People felt like H5 wasn't Halo DESPITE the TTK on the pistol. It was other things that were the problem. 

4 hours ago, Knighty said:

I'm totally with you on honeymoon phases. But the pistol was 1.2 sec TTK right? People felt like H5 wasn't Halo DESPITE the TTK on the pistol. It was other things that were the problem. 

Right, like get out of jail free abilities (sprint/clamber) combined with guns that were too weak to kill opponents before they retreat to safety. 

1 hour ago, Aphex Twin said:

Right, like get out of jail free abilities (sprint/clamber) combined with guns that were too weak to kill opponents before they retreat to safety. 

Sure. The get out of jail free thing is an issue in 5 and Infinite. And it was also an issue in H3, not so much because of movement but because of a random spread + slow killing BR. But H5 didn't combine slow TTKs with get out of jail free movement. Because it didn't actually have a slow TTK. And Infinite has less get out of jail free movement options (no thrust by default and a slower sprint, although shields recharging while sprinting is problematic) with a slower TTK. 

I think my wider point is there is no straightforward arc with Halo games. Mostly they've gone backwards (away from the Halo formula and away from competitive merit) in some ways and stayed true to the Halo formula in other ways. Sometimes the game has moved away from the Halo formula in ways that have both added competitive merit in certain ways and detracted from it in other ways. For example, the movement skill ceiling in 5 was very, very high. Problem was, it made moving around the map a totally different experience to how Halo used to feel (away from the Halo formula). Plus, whilst it didn't quite separate combat and movement like sprint had done previously (because the transition between combat and movement was relatively smooth) it nonetheless did maintain a separation which is bad for Halo. Now imagine if it was possible to shoot whilst sprinting (but not strafe perhaps), thrusting, clambering and sliding... well you'd have had an extraordinarily deep game with a colossal skill ceiling. But it would still feel very different to traditional Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Knighty said:

The get out of jail free thing is an issue in 5 and Infinite.

My point is when get out of jail free abilities exist, then the TTKs are too slow. Sprint/clamber wouldn't be get out of jail free abilities if the gun you spawned with was able to kill opponents before they can retreat. 

A 1.2 sec TTK BR/pistol may be fine in a Halo game without sprint/clamber, but it's too slow in modern Halo's design. Imagine the reaction from the CoD crowd if the minimum TTKs were equal to the H5 pistol. 

3 hours ago, Knighty said:

Sure. The get out of jail free thing is an issue in 5 and Infinite. And it was also an issue in H3, not so much because of movement but because of a random spread + slow killing BR. But H5 didn't combine slow TTKs with get out of jail free movement. Because it didn't actually have a slow TTK. And Infinite has less get out of jail free movement options (no thrust by default and a slower sprint, although shields recharging while sprinting is problematic) with a slower TTK. 

I think my wider point is there is no straightforward arc with Halo games. Mostly they've gone backwards (away from the Halo formula and away from competitive merit) in some ways and stayed true to the Halo formula in other ways. Sometimes the game has moved away from the Halo formula in ways that have both added competitive merit in certain ways and detracted from it in other ways. For example, the movement skill ceiling in 5 was very, very high. Problem was, it made moving around the map a totally different experience to how Halo used to feel (away from the Halo formula). Plus, whilst it didn't quite separate combat and movement like sprint had done previously (because the transition between combat and movement was relatively smooth) it nonetheless did maintain a separation which is bad for Halo. Now imagine if it was possible to shoot whilst sprinting (but not strafe perhaps), thrusting, clambering and sliding... well you'd have had an extraordinarily deep game with a colossal skill ceiling. But it would still feel very different to traditional Halo. 

On a somewhat related note, and I think Snip3 has eluded to this in the past, I think 343 somewhat shot themselves in the foot with the skill ceiling in H5 (the movement skill ceiling you referred to). Which is why I think Infinite's skill ceiling is way lower - the barrier to entry (to becoming decent) is much lower in this game than 5. I don't think 343 want to make a another game that has a "colossal" skill-celling. It unites the competitive crowd in most cases, but drives away the general audience, which is what they really want to cater to. This is also the reason why they'd never get rid of controller aim assist or tone it down. It alienates too much of the population. 

5 minutes ago, DyZ said:

On a somewhat related note, and I think Snip3 has eluded to this in the past, I think 343 somewhat shot themselves in the foot with the skill ceiling in H5 (the movement skill ceiling you referred to). Which is why I think Infinite's skill ceiling is way lower - the barrier to entry (to becoming decent) is much lower in this game than 5. I don't think 343 want to make a another game that has a "colossal" skill-celling. It unites the competitive crowd in most cases, but drives away the general audience, which is what they really want to cater to. This is also the reason why they'd never get rid of controller aim assist or tone it down. It alienates too much of the population. 

the AA on the BR NEEDS to be toned down a LOT.

• Upvote (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Bloodshot1990 said:

the AA on the BR NEEDS to be toned down a LOT.

I don't think they'll adjust it

I saw Sentinels scrim Optic and Faze, and I think SSG, multiple times coming into this weekend so blaming it on not enough practice seems a bit misleading imo. I understand the issues they've expressed with teams not wanting to scrim them though. I might be talking out of my ass right now but I'm pretty sure top teams in Valorant etc don't even scrim each other and instead they usually scrim teams like a tier below them? Obviously games like Valorant and CS:GO are more tactic based with different executions (and so you don't want to give those strats away) but surely it would be beneficial for Sentinels to scrim against a team like G1, G2 or PioneersGG if eUnited and C9 refuse?

20 hours ago, Commander Eagle said:

Which are the top teams that refuse to scrim with them? Optic worked out their issues and are scheduled for next week. SSG and Faze have both scrimmed them. So just eUnited and C9? C9 is kinda weird so I’m not that surprised.

For the record though, I don’t agree with the mentality that if teams aren’t willing to scrim them for competitive reasons that it’s “scummy” or “cowardly”. Scrims are PRACTICE. If a team feels that a scrim will help their opponent more than themselves through giving away strats or just giving their opponent experience playing against them, there is no reason they should feel obligated to scrim that team. Like any other sport a team’s practice should make it more likely for them to win a championship, not the other way around.

I also have to agree with this. Deciding to not scrim a team should not be considered scummy.

Like, for example, it would make a lot of sense if C9 and Optic decide to not scrim each other now. Why help the other?

• Upvote (+1) 2

smash now has a million dollar tournament because a streamer is donating 1 million dollars. Daddy ninja please sponsor a non shit settings tournament of halo infintie. That's our last chance at this point to have good settings be the comp settings

• Like (+1) 2

Optic - Sentinels ended 12-1

Lucid is so disgusting i almost can´t watch it.

Also he is destroying with sidekick. I mean he is destroying with everything.

Some of the games really close though, Sentinels heating up a bit, looks like they really are missing more scrimms with top teams. Last game was bazar slayer 49-50.

1 hour ago, Hemlax said:

Optic - Sentinels ended 12-1

Lucid is so disgusting i almost can´t watch it.

Also he is destroying with sidekick. I mean he is destroying with everything.

Some of the games really close though, Sentinels heating up a bit, looks like they really are missing more scrimms with top teams. Last game was bazar slayer 49-50.

Close games or not, going 12-1 vs Sentinels is crazy, you'd think a few more of those close scenarios would go Sen's way. Im sure the more they actually scrim other top teams the more they'll look like what we expect.

That said, I don't see how anyone is real close to Lucid in terms of a way-too-early best player in the game candidate. 

1 hour ago, Frostbite XV2 said:

Close games or not, going 12-1 vs Sentinels is crazy, you'd think a few more of those close scenarios would go Sen's way. Im sure the more they actually scrim other top teams the more they'll look like what we expect.

That said, I don't see how anyone is real close to Lucid in terms of a way-too-early best player in the game candidate. 

Snakebite had also bad connection, you could see the skipping on stream. Can't wait for actual Lan. People kind of forgetting how different that experience can be.

38 minutes ago, Hemlax said:

Snakebite had also bad connection, you could see the skipping on stream. Can't wait for actual Lan. People kind of forgetting how different that experience can be.

Everyone seemed to be on 100+ ping and skipping a bit. It was a long and rough scrim

Apparently there's a 2-day tourney tomorrow and Thursday? Anyone have a schedule or know any details? waypoint doesn't load at work.

4 hours ago, T0rM3nTeD said:

Got it. So looks like just another normal online qualifier similar to the last two.

If I understand correctly, they have some deadlines for Raleigh, booking hotels and things, so they moved it to mid week.