_Synapse

If you wanted to go with a projectile utility weapon, what projectile velocity is ideal?

The Halo CE pistol has a projectile velocity of 210 game units/sec.

The H3 BR has a projectile velocity of 180 game units/sec. 

I think that most here would agree with me that the leading required on the H3 BR is obnoxious. It's stupid to have to lead your shot by a whole reticle's width at 10 meters. It's completely unintuitive to have that much leading at that close of a range. Additionally, lowering the velocity past a point leads to an overly ineffective weapon that makes prediction (something that's more luck than it is skill) as important as accuracy while shooting. 

The CE pistol avoids the ineffectual feeling of H3's BR by being much more lethal, and by being a single shot weapon. 

I would go for a 240-260 units/sec projectile speed, as it would still require a subtle amount of leading while not being particularly overbearing and allow for the utility weapon to be effective over a longer range. 

Hitscan. Replace the dynamic that velocity speed provides with a properly fast movement speed with instant strafe acceleration, a properly deep crouch animation, a sufficiently wobbly Gandhi Hop, and the ability to fire weapons while in thruster animation. Maybe even the ability to Gandhi while in thruster animation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Fire (+1) 1

180 is fine. Where'd you get that 210 number from btw? 

A really important aspect of projectile is that there needs to be a visible tracer so you know where your bullets are even going. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's very likely Halo Infinite will have a Battle Royal because of course it will, and it will also have to account and balance weaponry in a PC environment where aim assistance fuckery absolutely will not cut it. Asking for a hitscan weapon in this environment is literally insane. A fast, visible projectile with glint and a possibly exaggerated impact animation. Bullet Drop might be overkill, but shouldn't be off the table.

Make the Bullet fast enough so it's almost a non factor in Arena environments, but slow enough to curate better balance for more extreme ranges. So possibly be faster than CE, but not too much faster.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Basu said:

180 is fine. Where'd you get that 210 number from btw? 

A really important aspect of projectile is that there needs to be a visible tracer so you know where your bullets are even going. 

I got the number from Guerrilla, and it was corroborated by a few people on the Halo Custom Edition discord. 200% agree on the tracers. 

i prefer halo ce style but hitscan works too. halo 2 and reach just make it looks bad with the amount of aim assist. if halo 2 was played with mouse and keyboard no aim assists, its much harder to get a 4 shot then even with a controller with aim assist. its actually very hard in my experience 

• Like (+1) 1