Hard Way

What changes should be made to Reach's competitive settings going forward?

On the real. Random post. But if we're talking about improving comp settings, removing the sniper in every capacity would be GOTY, given the flinch in this game breaks it, or, at the LEAST, offers the potential to break the shit out of it, in spite of its present ease of use. Adding more or quickening their respawn timers is the last thing I'd want.

This is assuming 343i doesn't remove it. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Do you have an idea what that would be? Chill out was remade in h3 so I assume 343 didn’t want that. Rats nest could of been cool. 

Yes chilly or even better one of the H1.5 maps. Given that they were willing to remake H2 maps in a CE pack I also would've welcomed Middy as that map is almost impossible to forge correctly. Even a proper Sanc or Warlock would've helped. The non-forge map pool is just so obviously the biggest weakness of Reach that it pains me that they didn't just throw a bone to the MLG kids and try to fix that instead of remaking a map that historically was always dogshit outside of CE.

But then again, they did the same thing in H2A when they chose fucking Ascension over Creek & Middy.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Hitscan DMR means the map is too open, if we had projectiles with the same speed as the CE pistol it might have worked.

I agree, ball should be on asymmetrical maps. I said bomb has to be symmetrical.

I got a sword base version floating around that I want to test for gold pro customs.

Maybe you should explain why then? And no, saying it is like Construct doesn't explain it in my eyes.

Add me on steam, Meurum but my XBL is gonagon. It’s mostly my little brother on that, but it’s what I use when I’m on Xbox 

2 minutes ago, Basu said:

Yes chilly or even better one of the H1.5 maps. Given that they were willing to remake H2 maps in a CE pack I also would've welcomed Middy as that map is almost impossible to forge correctly. Even a proper Sanc or Warlock would've helped. The non-forge map pool is just so obviously the biggest weakness of Reach that it pains me that they didn't just throw a bone to the MLG kids and try to fix that instead of remaking a map that historically was always dogshit outside of CE.

But then again, they did the same thing in H2A when they chose fucking Ascension over Creek & Middy.

We’re h1.5 maps a thing  in 2011? Also who knows about those? It seems to be a thing nhe people know of.

8 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

On the real. Random post. But if we're talking about improving comp settings, removing the sniper in every capacity would be GOTY, given the flinch in this game breaks it, or, at the LEAST, offers the potential to break the shit out of it, in spite of its present ease of use. Adding more or quickening their respawn timers is the last thing I'd want.

I think it was you that pointed out that the reticle in Reach drifts towards someone when shooting, right? I can't unsee it. Getting sprayed by an AR and your reticle starts drifting weirdly plus flinch is such an uncomfortable feeling. Oh Bungie what were you doing?

38 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Modding flinch out is an option. Definitely don't want to outright remove the Sniper though. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

What made the decision to remake Hang Em with retail assets even weirder was that with Forge Worlds gray palette and blue sky background, you could forge a pretty convincing Hang Em that was visually true to the original.

Should've just remade Pit or Guardian or something. Throw the H3 kids a bone. Pit got a wasted remake in H4 anyway.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

Modding flinch out is an option. Definitely don't want to outright remove the Sniper though. 

I think we could last without it when Reach has alternatives like the GL. Which serves a fine passive role without inherently rewarding it.

36 minutes ago, Basu said:

I think it was you that pointed out that the reticle in Reach drifts towards someone when shooting, right? I can't unsee it. Getting sprayed by an AR and your reticle starts drifting weirdly plus flinch is such an uncomfortable feeling. Oh Bungie what were you doing?

Pretty sure the DMR also has spread, even with no bloom. So bloom, spread, and inverse/normal flinch. They wanted a cointoss of a game.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, The Tyco said:

Are you talking about the flinch that happens when you get body shotted? I hate that so much.

41 minutes ago, TheIcePrincess said:

I think we could last without it when Reach has alternatives like the GL. Which serves a fine passive role without inherently rewarding it.

Pretty sure the DMR also has spread, even with no bloom. So bloom, spread, and inverse/normal flinch. They wanted a cointoss of a game.

It’s not like the spread in no bloom is big or cause hits to miss 9/10 times. No bloom for the most part is consistent.

2 hours ago, TheIcePrincess said:

Honestly I think the main sniper in Halo should be a bolt-action, especially if it is going to work on PC without being OP. The generic Halo sniper could easily be made into a DMR with changes to its rate of fire and magazine size, obviously it wouldn't be able to 1 shot kill a fully shielded player either. 

Also what are people's thoughts on making radical changes to the balance of certain weapons for the new comp settings, is that something we are in favor of or are we trying to keep in line with the rest of the game to some degree? Imo things like the shotgun should never be able to kill a fully shielded player in a single shot, instead I would prefer something like a weaker shotgun that has a longer ranger and higher rate of fire, that should give it a bit more utility instead of just being a weapon that you hold crouch around a corner with.

20 minutes ago, Mow said:

Honestly I think the main sniper in Halo should be a bolt-action, especially if it is going to work on PC without being OP. The generic Halo sniper could easily be made into a DMR with changes to its rate of fire and magazine size, obviously it wouldn't be able to 1 shot kill a fully shielded player either. 

Also what are people's thoughts on making radical changes to the balance of certain weapons for the new comp settings, is that something we are in favor of or are we trying to keep in line with the rest of the game to some degree? Imo things like the shotgun should never be able to kill a fully shielded player in a single shot, instead I would prefer something like a weaker shotgun that has a longer ranger and higher rate of fire, that should give it a bit more utility instead of just being a weapon that you hold crouch around a corner with.

I want to agree but because it’s basically been a one hit kill since the beginning It’s something I’m just not favored in. A lot of times if you shoot someone with a shot gun and it doesn’t kill you have to result to a melee immediately or die. Shot gun only a corner camper because of radar, and even then that doesn’t mean it should be Nerfed.

16 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I want to agree but because it’s basically been a one hit kill since the beginning It’s something I’m just not favored in. A lot of times if you shoot someone with a shot gun and it doesn’t kill you have to result to a melee immediately or die. Shot gun only a corner camper because of radar, and even then that doesn’t mean it should be Nerfed.

Don't think of it so much as a nerf, I would more so be looking to make the shotgun more versatile, as you said if you hit someone with the shotgun and they don't die you usually have to follow up with a melee or hope they choke so you can hit another shot, this is why I suggested increasing the fire rate to remedy the clunky gameplay that the shotgun tends to have. Obviously picturing exactly what I have in mind just from the vague description I have given is difficult so I hope to be able to test these kind of ideas out once the game launches so we can discuss something of actual substance instead of just speculation.

But what’s the point? If increasing the rate of fire doesn’t prevent the power, at best the shot gun now kills in two hits? The shot gun is a gun that’s not easy to nerf properly. The shot gun just shouldn’t have any range to it, looking at the h5 shot gun, it’s range was too much. The shot gun is a gun expected to basically one hit up close and trust me the frustration of bad or inconsistent damage from one is maddening. 

Basically what you want is the EVA 8 from apex legends a rapid fire shot gun that does little damage(that everyone hates and replaces for the peacekeeper). 

33 minutes ago, Arlong said:

But what’s the point? If increasing the rate of fire doesn’t prevent the power, at best the shot gun now kills in two hits? The shot gun is a gun that’s not easy to nerf properly. The shot gun just shouldn’t have any range to it, looking at the h5 shot gun, it’s range was too much. The shot gun is a gun expected to basically one hit up close and trust me the frustration of bad or inconsistent damage from one is maddening. 

32 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Basically what you want is the EVA 8 from apex legends a rapid fire shot gun that does little damage(that everyone hates and replaces for the peacekeeper). 

I'm not sure why you insist on looking at things in the most simplistic way possible, who ever said anything about the Apex shotguns, and are those the only 2 shotguns that exist in all of gaming? Funnily enough the peacekeeper is currently the most hated gun in all of Apex so even if what you said was relevant it doesn't even hold true. Also inconsistent damage from shotguns in online games will ALWAYS be a thing as it has been for every online game with a shotgun in it (see; Apex, Fortnite, GoW, any CoD, Halo scattershot, etc.) As I said I would be looking to actually test the things I'm saying so we can talk about something of substance instead of just speculating but unfortunately the game isn't out yet... 

6 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

If you are talking about how shotguns should play out in future Halos the Reach settings thread might not be the best place for that.

Sorry to derail the thread slightly, here is the context for why I mentioned shotguns.

1 hour ago, Mow said:

20 hours ago, Snipe Three said:

If you were going to ask 343 for help with making Reach more approachable while ALSO improving the competitive settings I've got three things which may be big or small I'm not entirely sure

1. Give us an overshield that is both multiple shields (exactly like the custom in H3) and charges quickly once picked up to reduced the immortality period.

2. Give us a 'nerfed' jet pack that functions like the current jet pack does with the gravity settings that we use. That way people wouldn't have alien feeling jumps/falls

3. Change the rate at which our movement decelerates so that increased movement speeds do not result in a slippery feeling so that the movement wouldn't, once again, feel alien to a normal Reach player

All of those are things that only 343 can help us with. If they can pull that off they would just polish and improve the experience without causing any confrontation with nostalgia 

Really would like to see no movement acceleration since the dmr is hitscan- would increase the skill in dmr fights tremendously.  

1 hour ago, Mow said:

I'm not sure why you insist on looking at things in the most simplistic way possible, who ever said anything about the Apex shotguns, and are those the only 2 shotguns that exist in all of gaming? Funnily enough the peacekeeper is currently the most hated gun in all of Apex so even if what you said was relevant it doesn't even hold true. Also inconsistent damage from shotguns in online games will ALWAYS be a thing as it has been for every online game with a shotgun in it (see; Apex, Fortnite, GoW, any CoD, Halo scattershot, etc.) As I said I would be looking to actually test the things I'm saying so we can talk about something of substance instead of just speculating but unfortunately the game isn't out yet... 

It’s how I am, I’m a simple person. Yes but it’s hated for being too strong/good, heck’s it’s better than a fucking mastiff in that game. Inconsistent shot guns eh you got me there.

you also didn’t have to mention shot guns from apex  but from my understanding it’s what you’d want for the shot gun to be like, less of a 1 hit kill, the ability to not be screwed just because you’re in a cqc situation and enemy or you has a shot gun. Sure with modding you’ll be able to achieve something, but I guarantee it’s going to be similar to the Eva 8. Less damGe but faster rate, that’s all that you’ll basically get out of all this. This isn’t some over complication. 

edit 

21 minutes ago, Sody91 said:

Really would like to see no movement acceleration since the dmr is hitscan- would increase the skill in dmr fights tremendously.  

I want something similar to apex strafing, or Overwatch. Idk if those games have no strafe accel or just very fast 

13 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I want something similar to apex strafing, or Overwatch. Idk if those games have no strafe accel or just very fast 

neither, for the Reach settings 110% accel would be all we need

2 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

neither, for the Reach settings 110% accel would be all we need

Sounds great but reach doesn’t have strafe accel settings if I’m correct? Man the strafing in apex is op. For halo it be so effective.

3 hours ago, Mow said:

As I posted earlier in the thread, it's a slippery slope. People making their own overhauls is a great thing, but at a certain point you're not even playing the same game anymore. It also alienates console players entirely, which I don't believe this thread is trying to do.

An FPS is only as good as its shotgun. Shit shotgun, shit game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Upvote (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Sitri said:

As I posted earlier in the thread, it's a slippery slope. People making their own overhauls is a great thing, but at a certain point you're not even playing the same game anymore. It also alienates console players entirely, which I don't believe this thread is trying to do.

An FPS is only as good as its shotgun. Shit shotgun, shit game.

Must have missed that post, thanks for the response. I'm interested in helping in any way I can once things get moving.