Hard Way

What changes should be made to Reach's competitive settings going forward?

11 minutes ago, Basu said:

Ideally both, but who knows with the PC aiming. 

Well from the recent blog postums said it’s gotten better.(although I wonder what he means by better) the aiming needs to feel similar to Overwatch or splitgate as those are hipfire only games like halo and are the best example.

8 minutes ago, II AdamanT II said:

Am I correctly assuming your issue with the map is the outside, grassy areas? I think instead of cutting these dead-zones off, you can simply use power weapon/placement or zone (hill) placement to navigate movement to the better areas of the map. 

Yeah mostly, that open space area in the back of the map, UNLESS a teleporter or Lyft was added. 

Not one mention of Splash King, shame on you people.

Powerhouse seriously needs to be looked into. Anchor has potential, however it needs more significant layout edits. Oasis King is another great match-up that I would love to see come back.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Upvote (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Arlong said:

Are people’s here problem with lifts because you can “hear” people come up them? Like damn if only that lift didn’t make a sound my flank would of been perfect. That’s how y’all sound.

Because instead of being a useful traveling mechanic it just becomes a bad traveling mechanic. Think how bad constructs lifts are or narrows. It just hinders map movement which is the exact opposite of why they were even put in. 

6 minutes ago, Riddler said:

Because instead of being a useful traveling mechanic it just becomes a bad traveling mechanic. Think how bad constructs lifts are or narrows. It just hinders map movement which is the exact opposite of why they were even put in. 

Um construct Lifts aren’t hearable. They are very much still useful. Just because people can hear you use a lift doesn’t negate their use, that doesn’t fit the definition of hindrance. The goals of lifts are to get you to a position quickly, that’s all. If people can hear you use said lift that doesn’t mean this lift is bad.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HeX Reapers said:

Powerhouse seriously needs to be looked into. Anchor has potential, however it needs more significant layout edits. Oasis King is another great match-up that I would love to see come back.

Pretty sure people know it exists and somebody even mentioned it, the thing is if we keep the original 11 and add Powerhouse KoTH we already got 3 kings and I would rather see bomb or ball squeezed in being on 4 CTF and 3 KoTH at that point.

I think specifically asymmetrical map could spice up the pool. Bomb obv needs symmetrical but I am not aware of a good ball map in Reach that is not a remake.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Basu said:

Problems I see with TS and Ball is how much of a power position the powerhouse itself is. Limited entrances and two players can essentially lock down the entire map. I like where GP put the sniper (top of the ramp that ends next to hammer spawn). Rockets and a powerup can go spillway and waterfall bridge, don't really care which goes which. GL default is good. KOTH is definitely the strongest gametype, but I'd love to play asym Flag even if it's just for GP customs. Having 2-Flag but played in rounds like CoD/TF does it might actually be cool.

In Arena (probably our best reference point for how good players will approach the map), teams set up at green at least as often as they did at powerhouse. I distinctly remember a game from @Vetoed where the other team made a point of controlling green and mostly left powerhouse alone. And they won, they were up big before two of Vetoed's (admittedly bad) randoms quit and Vetoed nearly brought it back but ran out of time.

I guess ramp could work for the sniper, if its equidistant from the starting spawns. I'm not crazy about putting anything at bottom bridge, its similar to lily pads in Dammy, although not as severe. Its the back end of the map and I don't see a need to drag the action all the way out there. Whoever has green control will have whatever you put there on lockdown, although if you're really concerned about powerhouse and want to make green more relevant, that's one way to do it.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, HeX Reapers said:

The only way I see powerhouse working is if we treat it like MLG construct. There has to be a reason for people to go to these 'no man's land' areas of the maps. 

Powerhouse has a lot of areas that are pretty much no man's land. And if we don't MAKE people move around it will be a camp fest.

Construct for example uses every part of the map, basement has powerup, now ppl HAVE to go down once and a while to get it. Sniper spawns on the glass balcony, people HAVE to go get it so the other team doesn't. And  the main hill is located there

KOTH is another thing, you HAVE to go to the hill which is rotated all over the map, top and bottom.

Powerhouse needs this. There's needs to be a reason for me to leave the high ground of the map and go to the lower ground.

And sort of like Halo 4 abandon, where they put the custom power up/sniper ALL the way at the edge of the map. So ppl wouldn't just sit at the higher ground areas all game.

15 minutes ago, Warlord Wossman said:

Pretty sure people know it exists and somebody even mentioned it, the thing is if we keep the original 11 and add Powerhouse KoTH we already got 3 kings and I would rather see bomb or ball squeezed in being on 4 CTF and 3 KoTH at that point.

I think specifically asymmetrical map could spice up the pool. Bomb obv needs symmetrical but I am not aware of a good ball map in Reach that is not a remake.

Umm ball should asymmetrical as symmetrical maps are terrible for oddball, man. One of the reasons that is, is the inability to play the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Larry Sizemore said:

High Noon is a dog. Doesn't work at all in Reach in my opinion.

I mean when you think about it, it can totally work. There’s plenty of spaces for king to play just fine. 

2 minutes ago, Arlong said:

I mean when you think about it, it can totally work. There’s plenty of spaces for king to play just fine. 

Unlike Dammy, which gets a bad rap because of how poorly done it was in V7, Hang Em really is a map that only works in CE.

• Like (+1) 1

If we want gold pro to be the new settings we need pros(Naded) to back us up. It being the new hardcore settings mlg V8 for reach be great.

Just now, Larry Sizemore said:

Unlike Dammy, which gets a bad rap because of how poorly done it was in V7, Hang Em really is a map that only works in CE.

Have anyone really tested that though? I’ve played doubles on the map And it plays ok. Never played V7 on it.

23 minutes ago, znot said:

The only way I see powerhouse working is if we treat it like MLG construct. There has to be a reason for people to go to these 'no man's land' areas of the maps. 

Powerhouse has a lot of areas that are pretty much no man's land. And if we don't MAKE people move around it will be a camp fest.

Construct for example uses every part of the map, basement has powerup, now ppl HAVE to go down once and a while to get it. Sniper spawns on the glass balcony, people HAVE to go get it so the other team doesn't. And  the main hill is located there

KOTH is another thing, you HAVE to go to the hill which is rotated all over the map, top and bottom.

Powerhouse needs this. There's needs to be a reason for me to leave the high ground of the map and go to the lower ground.

And sort of like Halo 4 abandon, where they put the custom power up/sniper ALL the way at the edge of the map. So ppl wouldn't just sit at the higher ground areas all game.

I truly don't think you've ever played Powerhouse based on this post.

Not every asymm map in Reach is Sword Base.

1 minute ago, Arlong said:

Have anyone really tested that though? I’ve played doubles on the map And it plays ok. Never played V7 on it.

Played tons of customs on it in early 2011 with Yoseph, Chef Linguini and others. Both 2s and 4s. Consistently played the worst of all the annv maps plus whatever launch/forge maps we had in the rotation. Forged Chill Out was better.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Played tons of customs on it in early 2011 with Yoseph, Chef Linguini and others. Both 2s and 4s. Consistently played the worst of all the annv maps plus whatever launch/forge maps we had in the rotation. Forged Chill Out was better.

Hmm sounds fun, hey sorry about the other day man I over reacted, was having a bad day anyway. 

Splash definitely should be in rotation, gosh I cannot wait any longer! The 3rd can’t get here soon enough! Unfortunately I have to wotk(Amazon) . When I get home I’m checking if the aiming works or lll look here because I know someone will be on here complaining about it immediately. 

10 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Sword base honestly could be a very good map for king or oddball. 

Many have tried, all have failed. Map is in its own class of awful.

16 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

I truly don't think you've ever played Powerhouse based on this post.

Not every asymm map in Reach is Sword Base.

Hahah I have but not with mlg settings.

If I remember correctly the weapon placement was ASS even in the vanilla powerhouse. 

The fact the powerhouse is even in this thread blows my mind

15 minutes ago, Arlong said:

10 minutes ago, Larry Sizemore said:

Trust me dude the map is ass. It might play KOTH or 3 plot okay-ish, but it will never be better than than. Why 343 chose to remake that map for the zillionth time instead of something that isn't easily forged and could've actually worked in 4v4 Reach is beyond me.

12 minutes ago, Basu said:

Trust me dude the map is ass. It might play KOTH or 3 plot okay-ish, but it will never be better than than. Why 343 chose to remake that map for the zillionth time instead of something that isn't easily forged and could've actually worked in 4v4 Reach is beyond me.

Do you have an idea what that would be? Chill out was remade in h3 so I assume 343 didn’t want that. Rats nest could of been cool. 

7 hours ago, Hard Way said:

High Noon KotH might be worth a look.

Hitscan DMR means the map is too open, if we had projectiles with the same speed as the CE pistol it might have worked.

39 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Umm ball should asymmetrical as symmetrical maps are terrible for oddball, man. One of the reasons that is, is the inability to play the ball.

I agree, ball should be on asymmetrical maps. I said bomb has to be symmetrical.

24 minutes ago, Arlong said:

Sword base honestly could be a very good map for king or oddball. 

I got a sword base version floating around that I want to test for gold pro customs.

15 minutes ago, znot said:

The fact the powerhouse is even in this thread blows my mind

Maybe you should explain why then? And no, saying it is like Construct doesn't explain it in my eyes.